Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For the vegetarians

"songbird" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:
> Thanks)

except you don't want to use or eat green potato peels.

songbird

===

Yes!!! Never green!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 1:17:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:19:54 -0000, "Ophelia" >

> >I don't because I like a clear broth, but I imagine it would work
> >(scrub them well first of course!).
> >
> >====
> >
> > Yes, thank you!

> If you had herds of deer you'd think differently.

Not everyone has herds of deers, Sheldon.

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:11:07 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 1:17:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:19:54 -0000, "Ophelia" >

> > >I don't because I like a clear broth, but I imagine it would work
> > >(scrub them well first of course!).
> > >
> > >====
> > >
> > > Yes, thank you!

> > If you had herds of deer you'd think differently.

> Not everyone has herds of deers, Sheldon.

Herds of deer. "Deers" only applies to different species of deers. Deers of
different species do not herd together, and I don't think that there are any
deers other than white tails in New York.

> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 1:17:40 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 10:19:54 -0000, "Ophelia" >

>>> I don't because I like a clear broth, but I imagine it would work
>>> (scrub them well first of course!).
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> Yes, thank you!

>> If you had herds of deer you'd think differently.

> Not everyone has herds of deers, Sheldon.

Or jewish delis, or free full meals at gin mills, or promiscuous
aunts, or ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Gary" wrote:
> > I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> > when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
> >
> > ======
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Do you do it with potato peel too?

> Not potato peels. I never peel potatoes. I eat them whole.
>
> Veggie scraps are usually onion ends, carrot ends, the occasional
> tomato end or a whole tomato if it starts going soft. Usually add a
> few whole carrots too. Celery roots and leafy ends too. Some other
> veggie parts too as used.

I use a fair amount of cabbage so cabbage root part will be in most of
mine. Same mostly on potatoes, eat with skin on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Herds of deer. "Deers" only applies to different species of deers. Deers of
> different species do not herd together, and I don't think that there are any
> deers other than white tails in New York.

Sheldon should import a small herd of antelope. They could play with the
local deer in his giant back yard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> Gary wrote:
>
> > Ophelia wrote:
> > >

> > > "Gary" wrote:
> > > I always save my veggie scraps in a freezer bag. I add them to a pot
> > > when making chicken stock. Made another batch the other day.
> > >
> > > ======
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Do you do it with potato peel too?

> > Not potato peels. I never peel potatoes. I eat them whole.
> >
> > Veggie scraps are usually onion ends, carrot ends, the occasional
> > tomato end or a whole tomato if it starts going soft. Usually add a
> > few whole carrots too. Celery roots and leafy ends too. Some other
> > veggie parts too as used.

> I use a fair amount of cabbage so cabbage root part will be in most of
> mine. Same mostly on potatoes, eat with skin on.

I've never bought a cabbage that still had a root attached.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In article >, cshenk1
> @cox.net says...
> >
> > Gary wrote:

> > > Not potato peels. I never peel potatoes. I eat them whole.
> > >
> > > Veggie scraps are usually onion ends, carrot ends, the occasional
> > > tomato end or a whole tomato if it starts going soft. Usually add
> > > a few whole carrots too. Celery roots and leafy ends too. Some
> > > other veggie parts too as used.

> > I use a fair amount of cabbage so cabbage root part will be in most
> > of mine. Same mostly on potatoes, eat with skin on.

> I've never bought a cabbage that still had a root attached.
>
> Janet UK

Humm, you might call it the core. The actual root below, yes is
removed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > Herds of deer. "Deers" only applies to different species of deers.
> > Deers of different species do not herd together, and I don't think
> > that there are any deers other than white tails in New York.

> Sheldon should import a small herd of antelope. They could play with
> the local deer in his giant back yard.

Snicker
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 6:11:00 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > > Herds of deer. "Deers" only applies to different species of deers.
> > > Deers of different species do not herd together, and I don't think
> > > that there are any deers other than white tails in New York.

> > Sheldon should import a small herd of antelope. They could play with
> > the local deer in his giant back yard.

> Snicker

But Sheldon is full of discouraging words.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 6:11:00 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> Sheldon should import a small herd of antelope. They could play with
>>> the local deer in his giant back yard.

>> Snicker

> But Sheldon is full of discouraging words.
>
> --Bryan

He's full of shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 6:57:46 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> Snicker

> > But Sheldon is full of discouraging words.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> He's full of shit.

But his skies are not cloudy all day.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> >
>> > But Sheldon is full of discouraging words.

> But his skies are not cloudy all day.

Gnome, Gnome on da range, where the beers and
the antifaropes play.

songbird (or is that derange?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

<G>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> Janet wrote:
>
> > In article >, cshenk1
> > @cox.net says...

> > > I use a fair amount of cabbage so cabbage root part will be in most
> > > of mine. Same mostly on potatoes, eat with skin on.

> > I've never bought a cabbage that still had a root attached.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> Humm, you might call it the core. The actual root below, yes is
> removed.

Core or stem, yes.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 13:49:04 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, cshenk1
says...

>> Janet wrote:
>>
>> > In article >, cshenk1
>> > @cox.net says...

>> > I've never bought a cabbage that still had a root attached.
>> >
>> > Janet UK
>> >

>> Humm, you might call it the core. The actual root below, yes is
>> removed.

> Core or stem, yes.
>
> Janet UK

Raw cabbage cores are a cook's treat... pare away the outer part where
the cabbage leaves were attached, that part is bitter but the center
part is sweet and tender... we call that part the cabbage heart. There
are several parts of vegetables that are very good that many don't
think are edible; peeled broccoli stems eaten raw are excellent. I
feed the tough outer cabbage leaves to the deer but I reserve the
hearts for me.. cabbage grows very well here, typically 10-15 pounds.
One of my favorite veggies:
https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-grow-bulb-fennel/
I use the feathery fronds for a seafood stock, the thick stems make a
wonderful rack on an outdoor grill for cooking fish. The actual bulbs
are a fine cook's treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In article >, cshenk1
> @cox.net says...
> >
> > Janet wrote:
> >
> > > In article >,
> > > cshenk1 @cox.net says...

> > > I've never bought a cabbage that still had a root attached.
> > >
> > > Janet UK
> > >

> > Humm, you might call it the core. The actual root below, yes is
> > removed.

> Core or stem, yes.
>
> Janet UK

No problem. Sometimes I am not as accurate in expression as I should
be. Sorry about that. None of us are perfect!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 13:49:04 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> > In article >, cshenk1
> > @cox.net says...

> cshenk1 >> > @cox.net says...

> them to >> > > > > a pot when making chicken stock. Made another
> batch the other >> > > > > day.

> occasional >> > > > tomato end or a whole tomato if it starts going
> soft. Usually add >> > > > a few whole carrots too. Celery roots and
> leafy ends too. Some >> > > > other veggie parts too as used.

> most >> > > of mine. Same mostly on potatoes, eat with skin on.

> >> Humm, you might call it the core. The actual root below, yes is
> >> removed.

> > Core or stem, yes.
> >
> > Janet UK

> Raw cabbage cores are a cook's treat... pare away the outer part where
> the cabbage leaves were attached, that part is bitter but the center
> part is sweet and tender... we call that part the cabbage heart. There
> are several parts of vegetables that are very good that many don't
> think are edible; peeled broccoli stems eaten raw are excellent. I
> feed the tough outer cabbage leaves to the deer but I reserve the
> hearts for me.. cabbage grows very well here, typically 10-15 pounds.
> One of my favorite veggies:
> https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-grow-bulb-fennel/
> I use the feathery fronds for a seafood stock, the thick stems make a
> wonderful rack on an outdoor grill for cooking fish. The actual bulbs
> are a fine cook's treat.

I do like Fennel bulbs and use the fronds mostly in soups. The
'Cabbage Heart' is possibly what most toss and I use for vegetable
broth (one of several components).

I rarely get American Broccoli so no need to peel the stems. Look up
Gai Lan and you can see why no need to peel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "songbird" wrote in message ...
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >>Bryan Simmons wrote: > > But Sheldon is full of discouraging

> words.
> >
> > But his skies are not cloudy all day.

> Gnome, Gnome on da range, where the beers and the antifaropes play.
>

> songbird (or is that derange?

+1 to all of you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 1:53:26 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> known for.
>
> Today's blend was exceptional.
>
> *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
>
> Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
>
> I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
> the ends off that may be woody, save those.
>
> This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
> after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

My 7 year old granddaughter says she won't eat meat because it's from animal. It's a problem keeping her fed. She's such a skinny little thing. Mostly she likes rice and seaweed. My daughter got a smoothie machine and some peanut powder to try to beef up her calories but this could be a problem. My other granddaughters are pretty well fed and healthy.
My high school friend is also losing weight at an alarming rate. That guy will only eat fish and chicken and is deathly afraid of oil. Perhaps I should get him a smoothie machine and peanut powder. I even recommended that he take up smoking weed. That guy would grow plants during high school. My guess is that most of my friends did too. When we graduated and went to college, they all went into the school of Agriculture. I thought that was plain weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 1:53:26 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
>> like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
>> reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
>> known for.
>>
>> Today's blend was exceptional.
>>
>> *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
>> peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
>>
>> Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
>> and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
>> got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
>> Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
>> tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
>>
>> I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
>> Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
>> flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
>> making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
>> the ends off that may be woody, save those.
>>
>> This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
>> after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

>My 7 year old granddaughter says she won't eat meat because it's from animal.

Be proud of her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:

> My high school friend is also losing weight at an alarming rate.

He might be seriously ill!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-15 3:05 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
>

>> My high school friend is also losing weight at an alarming rate.

> He might be seriously ill!

That is always a possibility. It may or may not have been a factor with
my recent weight loss. I started following the Heart and Stroke diet
plan which had one beef dish every three weeks, chicken about once a
week, a couple fish dishes per week and the rest are vegetarian... also
very low salt and low fat. The meat and dish portions were all very
small. I was losing 1-1/2 lb. per day. I eventually plateaued. I gained
a couple pounds back after Christmas because I was eating desserts and
more meat. We did vegetarian last night and the night before and I
dropped two pounds.

Personally, I have found a semi vegetarian diet to be a good way to lose
weight, though I cut out good desserts and pastry treats. I know a fww
vegetarians who don't seem to enjoy that benefit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 11:32:00 PM UTC-10, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 1:53:26 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >> I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> >> like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> >> reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> >> known for.
> >>
> >> Today's blend was exceptional.
> >>
> >> *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> >> peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
> >>
> >> Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> >> and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> >> got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> >> Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> >> tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
> >>
> >> I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> >> Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> >> flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> >> making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
> >> the ends off that may be woody, save those.
> >>
> >> This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
> >> after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

> >My 7 year old granddaughter says she won't eat meat because it's from animal.

> Be proud of her.

Depending on how one looks at things, one might see her as a principled little girl. Either that, or she has an eating disorder. Guess how I see it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 10:05:16 AM UTC-10, Graham wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 01:22:43 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
>

> > My high school friend is also losing weight at an alarming rate.

> He might be seriously ill!

That's a good point. I shall inquire about this. My guess is that he's mostly stressed out and depressed.