Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garlic Potatoes just came to simmer! :-)

Alex wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Alex wrote:

> > > That's a good number.Â* Better than 1/10th of 1% in a savings
> > > account!

> > Yup. A managed investment left from when I was working for CSC.
> > Diversified long term with lower risk values. It held through all
> > the shenanigans of COVID market variables. It's not terribly big
> > but the 8% was 3,000$ in 2020 that I would not have had.
> >
> > Best I can tell if you held even in 2020, you are ahead of most.
> > Mine netted 8% so I'm happy. Heck, I'd have been happy with .80
> > profit after that debacle of a year!
> >
> > I have a few risky ones (none big) and quite a few in CD's (assured
> > return but interest varies on maturity as it rolls back over and
> > right now .60 is mostly it) and essential savings enough for a roof
> > job.
> >
> > I know you don't get rich off CDs but it's a decent starting point
> > and if you rack them well, you can get good protected income for
> > later. At need, I can pull 1,000$ a month for about 4 years just
> > from them which punches me to age 65 and leaves me a 2 year gap to
> > 67 for social security max. Then theres the other stuff like the
> > one earning 8% and a risky one that hit 10% (but may wipe itself
> > out any day) and a long term IRA not earning more than a regular
> > savings account but 24,000$ strong and backed so can't lose it. Oh
> > and TSP not bad but only 20K in it (running 4%).
> >
> > I'm no millionaire, but we will be ok. When I hit 62, I am pretty
> > sure we can swap Don's Social Security to draw as my spouse and he
> > nets 300$ more a month it seems.
> >
> > I plan a very simple test. I will see what it looks like if I bank
> > my entire GS paycheck for a month and see what shortfalls are
> > there. My guess is about 400$ with no changes to current habits. I
> > could well be wrong though. Worst that happens is 5K more in CDs
> > and some reduction of the liquid volume just in savings waiting for
> > a roofing job or something big like that.

> There are some high interest savings accounts that pay better than
> long term CD's with the ability to withdraw without a penalty at any
> time.Â* I keep some money on hand he
>
> https://www.synchronybank.com/banking/?UISCode=0000000
>
> There might be others with marginally better returns right now (maybe
> Ally?) but I have used Synchrony for years - back to the good old
> days of 2.75% when my bank was still .1%

Same rates I have now for the CDs so no reason to swap and easier to
manage it all at the same place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Yup. A managed investment left from when I was working for CSC.
>>> Diversified long term with lower risk values. It held through all
>>> the shenanigans of COVID market variables. It's not terribly big
>>> but the 8% was 3,000$ in 2020 that I would not have had.
>>>
>>> Best I can tell if you held even in 2020, you are ahead of most.
>>> Mine netted 8% so I'm happy. Heck, I'd have been happy with .80
>>> profit after that debacle of a year!
>>>
>>> I have a few risky ones (none big) and quite a few in CD's (assured
>>> return but interest varies on maturity as it rolls back over and
>>> right now .60 is mostly it) and essential savings enough for a roof
>>> job.
>>>
>>> I know you don't get rich off CDs but it's a decent starting point
>>> and if you rack them well, you can get good protected income for
>>> later. At need, I can pull 1,000$ a month for about 4 years just
>>> from them which punches me to age 65 and leaves me a 2 year gap to
>>> 67 for social security max. Then theres the other stuff like the
>>> one earning 8% and a risky one that hit 10% (but may wipe itself
>>> out any day) and a long term IRA not earning more than a regular
>>> savings account but 24,000$ strong and backed so can't lose it. Oh
>>> and TSP not bad but only 20K in it (running 4%).
>>>
>>> I'm no millionaire, but we will be ok. When I hit 62, I am pretty
>>> sure we can swap Don's Social Security to draw as my spouse and he
>>> nets 300$ more a month it seems.
>>>
>>> I plan a very simple test. I will see what it looks like if I bank
>>> my entire GS paycheck for a month and see what shortfalls are
>>> there. My guess is about 400$ with no changes to current habits. I
>>> could well be wrong though. Worst that happens is 5K more in CDs
>>> and some reduction of the liquid volume just in savings waiting for
>>> a roofing job or something big like that.

>> There are some high interest savings accounts that pay better than
>> long term CD's with the ability to withdraw without a penalty at any
>> time.Â* I keep some money on hand he
>>
>> https://www.synchronybank.com/banking/?UISCode=0000000
>>
>> There might be others with marginally better returns right now (maybe
>> Ally?) but I have used Synchrony for years - back to the good old
>> days of 2.75% when my bank was still .1%

> Same rates I have now for the CDs so no reason to swap and easier to
> manage it all at the same place.

If you are OK with CDs locking you in for a period of time, that's fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 9:15:11 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 7:25:49 PM UTC-6,
> > wrote:

> > > Prejudiced much? :-(
> > >

> > John, it's not about race. I live on a street that was over 50%
> > Black when I moved in, and is about 50-50 20+ years later. Todat we
> > looked at 3 houses in Ferguson, and will likely buy one of them. I
> > think that every American here has heard of Ferguson, and most of the
> > non-USA folks have as well.
> >
> > What I wouldn't do is buy a house that needed $125K of roof repair,
> > putting in more money than the house would sell for today, which is
> > what you did. The exterior of your house is beautiful, and perhaps
> > the inside is as well, but what you have into the house, money-wise,
> > is less than market value.
> >
> > The house that my son is on the verge of putting an offer on is
> > likely to increase in value, and it's in a municipality that has
> > businesses, not one of the tiny cities in North County that's
> > revenues are almost exclusively from property taxes.
> >
> > ****, John, you know me well enough to know that I'm anything but
> > racist. I would have preferred that my son buy in University City,
> > mostly because he'd be closer, on a street with similar racial
> > demographics to the one in Ferguson, but he wants a large, open
> > basement, so he can have a billiard table, and it's about him, not
> > me. He's not racist either. He doesn't want to live in a segregated
> > neighborhood. I think he's a bit too colorblind to racism, but he's
> > more conservative that his parents in general. I was too when I was
> > 19.
> >

> > > John Kuthe...

> > --Bryan

> I would not want to live in a mono-color neighborhood either. We
> enrich each other here. We *may* look 50% 'white' but that is
> subjective as some might be further defined and Hispanic (and ride
> either line of white or not). In truth we are probably 35% 'white',
> 35% 'Black' and 30% 'mixed other from Hispanic to Asian to American
> Native'.
>
> We are a melting pot of the upper end of lower income when we bought
> and many stayed. Our diversity enriches us.

I'm indifferent to the color of my neighbors. We nod and wave when
we see each other out in the yard, but that's the extent of the contact
we have with them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2021 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-01-15 8:49 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:32:56 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> I beg to differ. There is no such thing as a bad neighborhood. Only
>>> bad people!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe

>> Bad neighborhoods are those most likely to attract bad people.
>>

> Prices and rent tend to be lower in base neighbourhoods. It is all the
> low life inhabitants can afford.

Do you consider low-income people to be low life people?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 07:58:03 -0500, Gary wrote:

> On 1/15/2021 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-01-15 8:49 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:32:56 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> Bad neighborhoods are those most likely to attract bad people.
>>>

>> Prices and rent tend to be lower in base neighbourhoods. It is all the
>> low life inhabitants can afford.

> Do you consider low-income people to be low life people?

Some really low-life people often inhabit Mar a lago and will be next week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-16 7:58 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 1/15/2021 10:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-01-15 8:49 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:32:56 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> Bad neighborhoods are those most likely to attract bad people.
>>>

>> Prices and rent tend to be lower in base neighbourhoods. It is all the
>> low life inhabitants can afford.

> Do you consider low-income people to be low life people?

I might that some of them are poor because they are low life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alex wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Alex wrote:

> > > There are some high interest savings accounts that pay better than
> > > long term CD's with the ability to withdraw without a penalty at
> > > any time.Â* I keep some money on hand he
> > >
> > > https://www.synchronybank.com/banking/?UISCode=0000000
> > >
> > > There might be others with marginally better returns right now
> > > (maybe Ally?) but I have used Synchrony for years - back to the
> > > good old days of 2.75% when my bank was still .1%

> > Same rates I have now for the CDs so no reason to swap and easier to
> > manage it all at the same place.

> If you are OK with CDs locking you in for a period of time, that's
> fine.

I am. I did a sort of 'ladder' where now almost all months have 2 CD's
mature (set for 1 year auto renewal with interest deposited and 100$
added at renewal). I made it easy so I can cash one and let the other
roll to the next year.

Now I'm filling in at 2 and 3 years out with them as they mature. Of
course I also have IRAs and a TSP.

Smile, I'd like to have 500K in savings but for now, I'm doing the best
I can with what I have.