Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tamales (WAS: Rice cooker)

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/7/2021 12:40 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >The steamer basket looks pretty useless. Barely an inch > deep. It

> might
> > make one tamale at a time. Might. There were no instructions for
> > steaming except to use an external timer.

> Why is it you think a rice cooker is intended to be used for tamales?
> Just because you love "mexican rice" doesn't mean a rice cooker will
> work for tamales. Or anything you perceive to be "Mexican".
>
> I mentioned this in another post where you brought up tamales and a
> rice cooker. Requires a deep pot with a lid and a steamer basket.
> Yeah, you got rid of the deep pot because you never used it and
> didn't have that type of steamer basket.
>
> So, go ahead and complain about why your rice cooker won't work for
> tamales. I can certainly understand why.
>
> No way is a rice cooker is designed to handle this. When I made
> tamales it was pretty much a one pot deal (from cooking the meat to
> create the nice spicy broth to stacking them in the pot and steaming
> until done.) Except for the mixing bowl for the masa dough, only one
> cooking pot was needed and it sure wasn't a rice cooker.
>
> Tamales are a lot of work. Have you ever made them?

I suspect no, not the way you describe. You could reheat a cooked one
if small, or maybe a few at 4-5 inches max but they'd best not be still
frozen when you started.

(snipped interesting directions)

> I think you're expecting the impossible from a stove-top appliance.
> I also don't think you intend to "make" tamales. Reheat some frozen
> ones, perhaps. A rice cooker is still not the best countertop
> appliance for the task.

Not really sure what she's thinking, but the device is nothing more
than a pre-timed sort of 'hot-pot'.

As long as you get the water ratio fairly close, it's impossible to
mess up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rice cooker

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/7/2021 8:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > > I tried the rice cooker for the first time. Carolina brand long
> > > grain white rice. Another rice I'm not familiar with.
> > >
> > > I found the little cup to be a pain to fill. The bag of rice was
> > > big enough to be able to dip the cup into. I did spill a few
> > > grains. I shudder to think of the mess it would make if I had to
> > > pour the rice into the cup. I used 5 cups of raw rice, so 10 cups
> > > cooked. Added butter and salt.

> > Wrong in 2 ways. No butter at the start (nor in the directions) and
> > you added too much dry rice for the pot. Yours is for 3 of the
> > measuring cups dry plus double that of the same measuring cup of
> > water.
> >
> > As to dipping the cup in, thats part of why they use a smaller cup.
> > Makes it easier if coming straight from the bag.
> >
> > > There is no way to tell that the rice is done except by smell.
> > > Unless you are looking at the cooker and can see that it went to
> > > the "warm" setting.

> > It takes about 20 minutes. Same as stove top.
> >

> > > The end result was dry and slightly sticky.

> > Not enough water and you added butter at the wrong time.
> >

> > > The steamer basket looks pretty useless. Barely an inch deep. It
> > > might make one tamale at a time. Might. There were no instructions
> > > for steaming except to use an external timer.

> > If you got the one I sent you a link to, then it's 7 inches across
> > and 2 inches deep. I just measured it.
> >
> > When you meantioned tamales, I said you could steam reheat 1 or 2
> > smaller ones, maybe 3 if very short.
> >
> > I doubt mine had any instructions for the steamer either. It's
> > pretty intuitive. No different from a stove top steamer and I've
> > never seen one of those have instructions either.
> >
> > I know one of us (besides me) has mentioned doing a few boneless
> > chicken breasts is a similar sized unit. With the steam, they don't
> > dry out. You can remove just as done and then slice for salads and
> > such.
> >

> As much as you'd like to believe, she really does post these things
> to complain why nothing ever works out.
>
> Jill

Maybe! I find it odd she suddenly devolved to a 1:1 rice/water again.
Best I can tell, she's used to instant rice? And instant microwave
rice at that? Thats all anyone here can recall uses that ratio. For
the rest of us, it's automatic to know its 1:2 (or near it, small
deviations for some types to get desired output type).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Master Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 18:07:33 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 1/7/2021 8:36 AM, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >, says...

>>> More money wasted in a desperate attempt to appease a moocher.
>>>
>>> Janet UK
>>>

>>When Carol (cshenk) suggested she buy a rice cooker after Julie posted
>>about her last rice "fail" she rejected the idea. Now that her
>>"boyfriend" uses one of course she just had to order one.
>>
>>I have no idea why she thinks a rice cooker is a good way to cook
>>tamales, unless she's talking about heating up frozen tamales.

> Ask her, she's here.

Not for long. This computer will be offline before midnight.

===

May I ask where you are going??

I hope you get as much help as you get here and you enjoy it!

Good luck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2021 4:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Not for long. This computer will be offline before midnight.

Well? is rfc finally Droolie-free?

Can someone go destroy Kookthe's means of getting on Usenet now?

Please?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cal Q. Later wrote:
> On 1/7/2021 4:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Not for long. This computer will be offline before midnight.

> Well? is rfc finally Droolie-free?
>
> Can someone go destroy Kookthe's means of getting on Usenet now?
>
> Please?

Wouldn't do any good. Last time kuth was unable to post, Squirtz
called him up and told him how to log in properly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 9:51:43 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Cal Q. Later wrote:
> > On 1/7/2021 4:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> Not for long. This computer will be offline before midnight.

> > Well? is rfc finally Droolie-free?
> >
> > Can someone go destroy Kookthe's means of getting on Usenet now?
> >
> > Please?

> Wouldn't do any good. Last time kuth was unable to post, Squirtz
> called him up and told him how to log in properly.

Whew, that was a close call. He saved your nasty asses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 9:51:43 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Cal Q. Later wrote:

>>> Well? is rfc finally Droolie-free?
>>>
>>> Can someone go destroy Kookthe's means of getting on Usenet now?
>>>
>>> Please?

>> Wouldn't do any good. Last time kuth was unable to post, Squirtz
>> called him up and told him how to log in properly.

> Whew, that was a close call. He saved your nasty asses.

I put a plaster of tofu and rice on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 9:51:43 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Cal Q. Later wrote:

>>> Well? is rfc finally Droolie-free?
>>>
>>> Can someone go destroy Kookthe's means of getting on Usenet now?
>>>
>>> Please?

>> Wouldn't do any good. Last time kuth was unable to post, Squirtz
>> called him up and told him how to log in properly.

> Whew, that was a close call. He saved your nasty asses.

Yep. Now he's workin on whining dinks on rocks. Might take a while
to reach yoose.

Hard to dig out asian ****s from the millions of cheap chinese
hearing aides. They'll get to you soon Chong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2021 5:53 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Hard to dig out asian ****s from the millions of cheap chinese hearing
> aides. They'll get to you soon Chong.

i sent mine in for repair and haven't heard anything since
Posted to rec.food.cooking

% wrote:
> On 1/8/2021 5:53 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Hard to dig out asian ****s from the millions of cheap chinese
>> hearing aides. They'll get to you soon Chong.
>>

> i sent mine in for repair and haven't heard anything since

Was it a dsi1 device? Yoose will never get any satisfaction. Maybe
they'll send you a coupon for some fried rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 16:26:04 -0600, Hank Rogers wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:

>> Whew, that was a close call. He saved your nasty asses.

> I put a plaster of tofu and rice on.

What? You figured out a way to protect your ass from getting sniffed?

In retrospect, I should have suspected it. Tofu and rice both have no
flavour on their own, so probably are better than activated charcoal at
absorbing other smells.

My only question is how to get properly plastered. Maybe Sheldon knows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2021 6:04 PM, % wrote:
> On 1/8/2021 5:53 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Hard to dig out asian ****s from the millions of cheap chinese hearing
>> aides. They'll get to you soon Chong.
>>

> i sent mine in for repair and haven't heard anything since

"Silence is golden"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 6:22:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I tried the rice cooker for the first time. Carolina brand long grain
> >> white rice. Another rice I'm not familiar with.

> > You've never cooked long grain rice? Brand doesn't matter.
> >
> >> I used 5 cups of raw rice, so 10 cups cooked.

> > That's where you blew it. 5 cups of raw rice will yield 15 cups of cooked
> > rice. Look at the directions on your package. You should have added 10
> > cups of water for a total of 15 cups.
> >

> Whn I say "cup". I mean the cup that came with the machine. I did follow the
> instructions. I did not measure to see how much that cup contains.
> > And why did you cook so much?

> Justin eats a lot of rice. Half of it is gone already.

Perhaps he is secreting some away in a pouch, as a treat for his goats.
Does the well hung Tanzanian also like rice?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 6:56:18 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 19:43:39 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> Not for long. This computer will be offline before midnight.

> >Maybe there is something to look forward to in 2021.

> Think how much less you'll be posting! And how much time you'll have
> in 2021!

We'll all have 24 hours less time than we did in 2020.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 06:46:59 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 6:56:18 PM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 19:43:39 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >Maybe there is something to look forward to in 2021.

>> Think how much less you'll be posting! And how much time you'll have
>> in 2021!

>We'll all have 24 hours less time than we did in 2020.

Julie's absence will more than make up for that, unless John now gets
a double load.