Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's your favorite long pasta?

I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti. I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 9:21:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti. I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

Vermicelli, because it cooks quickly.

Butter, garlic, and fresh basil is probably the way I have it most frequently.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2020 6:20 AM, wrote:
> I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti. I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

The one that is on my plate at the moment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 9:06:39 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Vermicelli, because it cooks quickly.

Capellini, because it cooks even more quickly.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 9:22:10 AM UTC-6, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 12/7/2020 6:20 AM, wrote:
> > I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti. I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.
> >

> The one that is on my plate at the moment.

So, you're telling me that you've never looked down at a plate of penne and
thought, "This would really be better with ziti."

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-07 10:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 9:21:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti. I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

> Vermicelli, because it cooks quickly.
>
> Butter, garlic, and fresh basil is probably the way I have it most frequently.

One of my most commonly made pasta dishes is to heat up some olive oil,
toss in a pinch of dried chili flakes, a lot of chopped garlic, some
chopped red pepper and asparagus and then some shelled shrimp. Serve on
Vermicelli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 06:20:59 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti.
>I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with
>parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of
>salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

My favorite pasta is medium shells because it can hold sauce well and
I can eat it with a spoon. I never enjoyed long pasta twirled on a
fork, messy and always leaves all the sauce in the dish. I do like
ravioli but somehow I never considered it pasta, it's more about the
filling. I also much prefer orzo to rice... I think of rice as
communist asian belly filler, rice contains zero nutrition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 2:10:25 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 06:20:59 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti.
> >I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with
> >parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of
> >salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

> My favorite pasta is medium shells because it can hold sauce well and
> I can eat it with a spoon. I never enjoyed long pasta twirled on a
> fork, messy and always leaves all the sauce in the dish. I do like
> ravioli but somehow I never considered it pasta, it's more about the
> filling. I also much prefer orzo to rice... I think of rice as
> communist asian belly filler, rice contains zero nutrition.

Both white pasta and white rice contain so little nutrition (apart from calories),
it's not worth making the distinction.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2020 2:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 2:10:25 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 06:20:59 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti.
>>> I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with
>>> parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of
>>> salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

>> My favorite pasta is medium shells because it can hold sauce well and
>> I can eat it with a spoon. I never enjoyed long pasta twirled on a
>> fork, messy and always leaves all the sauce in the dish. I do like
>> ravioli but somehow I never considered it pasta, it's more about the
>> filling. I also much prefer orzo to rice... I think of rice as
>> communist asian belly filler, rice contains zero nutrition.

> Both white pasta and white rice contain so little nutrition (apart from calories),
> it's not worth making the distinction.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't eat a lot of pasta. Or rice. Occasional exception is mac &
cheese. Spaghetti, linguini... one is round, the other is flat. Both
are long.

Ravioli made from scratch is too labor intensive for me. I have a
friend whose 95 year old Italian mother made Lobster Ravioli that was to
die for. Sheldon wouldn't eat that either, because lobsters can live to
great ages unless we mortals with traps consume them. I think he just
doesn't like crustaceans (other than clams, Manhattan chowder).

A few folks mentioned vermicelli. I have to say I'm put off by the
memory of visiting a vermicelli factory in Bangkok in 1969. It was a
school field trip. OMG, the place stunk to high heaven. There were a
lot of women hanging vermicelli out to dry on clotheslines. Can't get
past the smell memory.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:13:55 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/7/2020 2:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 2:10:25 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>>> My favorite pasta is medium shells because it can hold sauce well and
>>> I can eat it with a spoon. I never enjoyed long pasta twirled on a
>>> fork, messy and always leaves all the sauce in the dish. I do like
>>> ravioli but somehow I never considered it pasta, it's more about the
>>> filling. I also much prefer orzo to rice... I think of rice as
>>> communist asian belly filler, rice contains zero nutrition.

>> Both white pasta and white rice contain so little nutrition (apart from calories),
>> it's not worth making the distinction.
>>

>I don't eat a lot of pasta. Or rice. Occasional exception is mac &
>cheese. Spaghetti, linguini... one is round, the other is flat. Both
>are long.

Jill discovers the world.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 3:14:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 12/7/2020 2:48 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 2:10:25 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 06:20:59 -0800 (PST), "

> >> My favorite pasta is medium shells because it can hold sauce well and
> >> I can eat it with a spoon. I never enjoyed long pasta twirled on a
> >> fork, messy and always leaves all the sauce in the dish. I do like
> >> ravioli but somehow I never considered it pasta, it's more about the
> >> filling. I also much prefer orzo to rice... I think of rice as
> >> communist asian belly filler, rice contains zero nutrition.

> > Both white pasta and white rice contain so little nutrition (apart from calories),
> > it's not worth making the distinction.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I don't eat a lot of pasta. Or rice. Occasional exception is mac &
> cheese. Spaghetti, linguini... one is round, the other is flat. Both
> are long.
>
> Ravioli made from scratch is too labor intensive for me. I have a
> friend whose 95 year old Italian mother made Lobster Ravioli that was to
> die for. Sheldon wouldn't eat that either, because lobsters can live to
> great ages unless we mortals with traps consume them. I think he just
> doesn't like crustaceans (other than clams, Manhattan chowder).
>
> A few folks mentioned vermicelli. I have to say I'm put off by the
> memory of visiting a vermicelli factory in Bangkok in 1969. It was a
> school field trip. OMG, the place stunk to high heaven. There were a
> lot of women hanging vermicelli out to dry on clotheslines. Can't get
> past the smell memory.
>
> Jill

The vermicelli to which I referred is just a shape of the same pasta
that is spaghetti, linguini, elbow macaroni, etc. If you were presented
a plate of vermicelli with your favorite sauce on it, you'd never
know the difference.

Nothing to do with what happened in Bangkok in 1969. That wasn't,
strictly speaking, even vermicelli, despite what it may have been called.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2020 3:45 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 3:14:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:

>>> Both white pasta and white rice contain so little nutrition (apart from calories),
>>> it's not worth making the distinction.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I don't eat a lot of pasta. Or rice. Occasional exception is mac &
>> cheese. Spaghetti, linguini... one is round, the other is flat. Both
>> are long.
>>
>> Ravioli made from scratch is too labor intensive for me. I have a
>> friend whose 95 year old Italian mother made Lobster Ravioli that was to
>> die for. Sheldon wouldn't eat that either, because lobsters can live to
>> great ages unless we mortals with traps consume them. I think he just
>> doesn't like crustaceans (other than clams, Manhattan chowder).
>>
>> A few folks mentioned vermicelli. I have to say I'm put off by the
>> memory of visiting a vermicelli factory in Bangkok in 1969. It was a
>> school field trip. OMG, the place stunk to high heaven. There were a
>> lot of women hanging vermicelli out to dry on clotheslines. Can't get
>> past the smell memory.
>>
>> Jill

> The vermicelli to which I referred is just a shape of the same pasta
> that is spaghetti, linguini, elbow macaroni, etc. If you were presented
> a plate of vermicelli with your favorite sauce on it, you'd never
> know the difference.

I'm pretty sure I would.

> Nothing to do with what happened in Bangkok in 1969. That wasn't,
> strictly speaking, even vermicelli, despite what it may have been called.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Whatever. All I know is it was long threads of noodles and they stunk.
Maybe vermicelli made in Italy in 1960 didn't also stink. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 3:50:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 12/7/2020 3:45 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I don't eat a lot of pasta. Or rice. Occasional exception is mac &
> >> cheese. Spaghetti, linguini... one is round, the other is flat. Both
> >> are long.
> >>
> >> Ravioli made from scratch is too labor intensive for me. I have a
> >> friend whose 95 year old Italian mother made Lobster Ravioli that was to
> >> die for. Sheldon wouldn't eat that either, because lobsters can live to
> >> great ages unless we mortals with traps consume them. I think he just
> >> doesn't like crustaceans (other than clams, Manhattan chowder).
> >>
> >> A few folks mentioned vermicelli. I have to say I'm put off by the
> >> memory of visiting a vermicelli factory in Bangkok in 1969. It was a
> >> school field trip. OMG, the place stunk to high heaven. There were a
> >> lot of women hanging vermicelli out to dry on clotheslines. Can't get
> >> past the smell memory.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > The vermicelli to which I referred is just a shape of the same pasta
> > that is spaghetti, linguini, elbow macaroni, etc. If you were presented
> > a plate of vermicelli with your favorite sauce on it, you'd never
> > know the difference.
> >

> I'm pretty sure I would.

Ridiculous. If nobody told you what it is, you'd think it was skinny spaghetti.
Which is what it is. It's the exact same dough extruded through a die with
smaller holes.

> > Nothing to do with what happened in Bangkok in 1969. That wasn't,
> > strictly speaking, even vermicelli, despite what it may have been called.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Whatever. All I know is it was long threads of noodles and they stunk.
> Maybe vermicelli made in Italy in 1960 didn't also stink. <shrug>

"Vermicelli" is an Italian word. The fact that white people have applied
it to skinny rice noodles doesn't mean squat, except that white people
have trouble pronouncing Asian languages. The noodles that you
think of as "vermicelli" are called S̄ênh̄mī̀ in Thai and "mai fun" in
Chinese.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 3:23:53 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 3:50:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> > > The vermicelli to which I referred is just a shape of the same pasta
> > > that is spaghetti, linguini, elbow macaroni, etc. If you were presented
> > > a plate of vermicelli with your favorite sauce on it, you'd never
> > > know the difference.
> > >

> > I'm pretty sure I would.

> Ridiculous. If nobody told you what it is, you'd think it was skinny spaghetti.
> Which is what it is. It's the exact same dough extruded through a die with
> smaller holes.

So capellini really isn't hair cut off of little angels? Damn. All this time...

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:21:05 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I do like linguini and fettuccine, and even spaghettini. But my favorite is still Spaghetti. I like it very al dente and simple. With homemade marinara sauce, tomato sauce with parmesan cheese, or even more simple. The spaghetti tossed with butter and a bit of salt and black pepper. A touch of nutmeg in there is also nice.

I'm an old school kind of guy so my favorite noodle is saimin. It's the old school Hawaiian comfort food. The wife and kids like Italian pasta but I grew up eating saimin. The only pasta we ate when I was growing up was canned spaghetti. My wife grew up with canned spaghetti. Our kids never had canned spaghetti. My guess is that they'd find it somewhat weird. Time marches on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K4yUB58BAsfAjW4B6

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:13:55 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Both white pasta and white rice contain so little nutrition (apart from calories),
>>> it's not worth making the distinction.
>>>

>> I don't eat a lot of pasta. Or rice. Occasional exception is mac &
>> cheese. Spaghetti, linguini... one is round, the other is flat. Both
>> are long.

> Jill discovers the world.

While Druce sniffs her ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2020 4:23 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 3:50:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:

>>> The vermicelli to which I referred is just a shape of the same pasta
>>> that is spaghetti, linguini, elbow macaroni, etc. If you were presented
>>> a plate of vermicelli with your favorite sauce on it, you'd never
>>> know the difference.
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure I would.

> Ridiculous. If nobody told you what it is, you'd think it was skinny spaghetti.
> Which is what it is. It's the exact same dough extruded through a die with
> smaller holes.
>
>>> Nothing to do with what happened in Bangkok in 1969. That wasn't,
>>> strictly speaking, even vermicelli, despite what it may have been called.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Whatever. All I know is it was long threads of noodles and they stunk.
>> Maybe vermicelli made in Italy in 1960 didn't also stink. <shrug>

> "Vermicelli" is an Italian word. The fact that white people have applied
> it to skinny rice noodles doesn't mean squat, except that white people
> have trouble pronouncing Asian languages. The noodles that you
> think of as "vermicelli" are called S̄ênh̄mī̀ in Thai and "mai fun" in
> Chinese.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The Thai people running the joint called it a "vermicelli factory" and
for all I know they packaged it up and shipped it off for sale in Italy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 6:25:10 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On 12/7/2020 4:23 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure I would.

> > Ridiculous. If nobody told you what it is, you'd think it was skinny spaghetti.
> > Which is what it is. It's the exact same dough extruded through a die with
> > smaller holes.

> >> Whatever. All I know is it was long threads of noodles and they stunk.
> >> Maybe vermicelli made in Italy in 1960 didn't also stink. <shrug>

> > "Vermicelli" is an Italian word. The fact that white people have applied
> > it to skinny rice noodles doesn't mean squat, except that white people
> > have trouble pronouncing Asian languages. The noodles that you
> > think of as "vermicelli" are called S̄ênh̄mī̀ in Thai and "mai fun" in
> > Chinese.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> The Thai people running the joint called it a "vermicelli factory" and
> for all I know they packaged it up and shipped it off for sale in Italy.

Jill, vermicelli is a size/shape of pasta. It is just lesser in diameter.
The vermicelli they sell at Publix is thicker than the capellini, but
thinner than spaghetti.

> Jill

--Bryan