Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods we're ashamed to admit liking

"dsi1" wrote in message

The introduction of the Spam musubi to these islands by Barbara Funamura
back in the mid-eighties brought new life to an old fashioned, reliable, but
mundane, product. Since then, generations of Hawaii kids have been raised on
Spam and rice and have learned to love Spam. The popular, "everybody knows"
version of Spam musubi being invented during WWII in Japanese internment
camps is total shibai. Barbara Funamura should be a candidate for
sainthood - if you ask me.
I like to use a wide vegetable peeler to get skinny slices of Spam and fry
it up like bacon. The only question I got about that is which one will end
up killing you faster - Spam or bacon?

====

I was introduced to it by you D. loves it)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 8:15:59 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> The introduction of the Spam musubi to these islands by Barbara Funamura
> back in the mid-eighties brought new life to an old fashioned, reliable, but
> mundane, product. Since then, generations of Hawaii kids have been raised on
> Spam and rice and have learned to love Spam. The popular, "everybody knows"
> version of Spam musubi being invented during WWII in Japanese internment
> camps is total shibai. Barbara Funamura should be a candidate for
> sainthood - if you ask me.
> I like to use a wide vegetable peeler to get skinny slices of Spam and fry
> it up like bacon. The only question I got about that is which one will end
> up killing you faster - Spam or bacon?
> ====
>
> I was introduced to it by you D. loves it)))

An adult learning to love Spam musubi - that probably doesn't happen often. Kids learn to love the stuff every day, however. Make sure to eat Spam musubi when you're on a trip and hungry. It's pretty sublime stuff under those conditions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at 8:15:59 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> The introduction of the Spam musubi to these islands by Barbara Funamura
> back in the mid-eighties brought new life to an old fashioned, reliable,
> but
> mundane, product. Since then, generations of Hawaii kids have been raised
> on
> Spam and rice and have learned to love Spam. The popular, "everybody
> knows"
> version of Spam musubi being invented during WWII in Japanese internment
> camps is total shibai. Barbara Funamura should be a candidate for
> sainthood - if you ask me.
> I like to use a wide vegetable peeler to get skinny slices of Spam and fry
> it up like bacon. The only question I got about that is which one will end
> up killing you faster - Spam or bacon?
> ====
>
> I was introduced to it by you D. loves it)))

An adult learning to love Spam musubi - that probably doesn't happen often.
Kids learn to love the stuff every day, however. Make sure to eat Spam
musubi when you're on a trip and hungry. It's pretty sublime stuff under
those conditions.

===

Oh he will eat it any time))) As for the Spam, he learned to like it
when he was in the Services, in the ration packs)