Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods we're ashamed to admit liking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 17:27:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 7:18:52 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have had canned chili. I bought it once and I learned from my
>> experience. Besides, I am on a low sodium diet these days so prepared
>> foods are out, especially canned.

>The Chilli Man canned chili is decent, though unsuitable for anyone on a
>low sodium diet.

"water, pork and beef, textured vegetable protein (soy flour, caramel
color), beef fat, oats, contains less than 2%: cornstarch modified,
tomato paste, chili pepper, onion powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder,
monosodium glutamate, caramel color, cayenne pepper, spice, natural
flavoring"

The natural flavouring, I don't wanna know! But otherwise better than
the two brands mentioned earlier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:29:42 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/29/2020 8:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:53:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up with another tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good news.
>>> I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie. It's delicious! Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of not breaking up the chips before adding the canned chili. Don't let anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is duck soup to make.
>>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9

>> You did it the traditional way? In the bag?
>> Janet US
>>

>Oh my... I do hope no one (Ophelia) really takes that seriously.
>
>Jill

See below, Frito Pie in the Bag

https://www.wideopencountry.com/make-frito-pie-bag/

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:30:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> What is amazing is how little the cost of this concoction has increased in the
> twenty-seven years since this was posted. While things like house prices,
> college tuition have gone crazy, canned tuna and canned mushroom prices
> have hardly budged, and off brand boxed mac&cheese is still 50 cents or less.

Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
gone downnhill as well.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2020 1:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> Canned meats are a thing in Samoa but mostly, they have a thing for
> canned corned beef and canned albacore - they call it "wahoo."

I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good to
make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite crabcake
recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
> almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
> gone downnhill as well.

yeah, besides my own tastes have changed, i don't really like
canned tuna much at all any more. for years it was eaten way
too often. i do like a good casserole once in a while but that
really is about it. for canned fish i'm much happier with
sardines and for prime tuna i vastly prefer some nice slices of
sashimi. i think i average eating that once every five years or
so now. it's been a long time since i've had sardines now too.
since i've not been doing much shopping there's been no looks
for sale prices or new items to try.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2020 11:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:29:42 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2020 8:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:53:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1

>>> You did it the traditional way? In the bag?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Oh my... I do hope no one (Ophelia) really takes that seriously.
>>
>> Jill

> See below, Frito Pie in the Bag
>
> https://www.wideopencountry.com/make-frito-pie-bag/
>
> Janet US

My bad! and oh dear...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 10:02:58 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/29/2020 11:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:29:42 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

Frito Pie

>>> Oh my... I do hope no one (Ophelia) really takes that seriously.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> See below, Frito Pie in the Bag
>>
>> https://www.wideopencountry.com/make-frito-pie-bag/
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>My bad! and oh dear...
>
>Jill

LOL, LOL
I learned that from Julie some years back
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2020 12:40 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 10:02:58 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2020 11:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:29:42 -0500, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:

> Frito Pie

>>> See below, Frito Pie in the Bag
>>>
>>> https://www.wideopencountry.com/make-frito-pie-bag/
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> My bad! and oh dear...
>>
>> Jill

> LOL, LOL
> I learned that from Julie some years back
> Janet US

Yeah, I was wrong. I didn't know it was a "thing". Certainly not
anything I'd ever think of making. I do like Fritos, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 7:02:16 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good to
> make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite crabcake
> recipe.

And if I'm making tuna for sandwiches I won't use anything but albacore.
After eating it, the chunk light and other varieties are just too. . . . . . . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 12:55:18 PM UTC-6,
> wrote:
> > On 11/29/2020 1:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > > On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 09:01:51 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons

> > Zone wrote: >>> I like Hormel's chili better. I guess you're
> > supposed to put grated Monterey Jack and diced jalapeño peppers.
> > Yet, slow grilling burgers over Mesquite & charcoal and then dicing
> > the meat itself would end-up making better chili, I'd say. >> >>
> > >
> > > Too bad. It makes perfect chili dogs.

> It's shitty, but then hot dogs don't deserve any better.
>
> > > Janet US
> > >

> > I don't consider Bryan to be any sort of an expert on what people
> > should eat. This is the guy who rides a pink scooter who just
> > bought a little wooden sided wagon. Maybe next he'll set up a
> > lemonade stand in front of his house.
> >
> > Hormel chili is what it is. Quick, easy. Armour chili is about the
> > same. No one is forcing anyone to buy or eat it.

> I rode a little pink scooter for a few months. I bought it at about
> 75% off, rode it around town, which was awfully fun, then sold it at
> a profit. The little wooden sided wagon isn't little. It's for
> gardening, and has a 330 lb. capacity. You aren't very good at
> noticing details. That's called sloppy.
> https://www.harborfreight.com/bigfoo...on-60570.html?
> >
> > Jill

> --Bryan

I actually like it. If I had a need to get produce 1/2 acre away to
the house (say a farm), it probably would be used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 3:20:18 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:53:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> It has been close to 50 years since I have had a chili dog. I lost my
> >> taste for them after coming down with a horrible case of food poisoning
> >> after eating one in the restaurant of the store where I worked part
> >> time. I know what it is like to puke for 5 hours, and that is something
> >> that I never want to go through again. I don't think I would wish it on
> >> my worst enemy.

> >My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up with another tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good news.
> >I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie. It's delicious! Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of not breaking up the chips before adding the canned chili. Don't let anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is duck soup to make.
> >https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9

> You did it the traditional way? In the bag?
> Janet US

Yes, it positively has to be done this way. I used the smallest kid sized bag. It was pretty much the perfect size for me. I hope to make a tostilocos sooner or later. Some folks like to serve it in the bag but I don't particularly feel the need to go that far.
https://gluttodigest.com/wp-content/...-1-980x535.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 12:55:18 PM UTC-6,
>> wrote:

>>> Zone wrote: >>> I like Hormel's chili better. I guess you're
>>> supposed to put grated Monterey Jack and diced jalapeño peppers.
>>> Yet, slow grilling burgers over Mesquite & charcoal and then dicing
>>> the meat itself would end-up making better chili, I'd say. >> >>

>> It's shitty, but then hot dogs don't deserve any better.

>>> I don't consider Bryan to be any sort of an expert on what people
>>> should eat. This is the guy who rides a pink scooter who just
>>> bought a little wooden sided wagon. Maybe next he'll set up a
>>> lemonade stand in front of his house.
>>>
>>> Hormel chili is what it is. Quick, easy. Armour chili is about the
>>> same. No one is forcing anyone to buy or eat it.

>> I rode a little pink scooter for a few months. I bought it at about
>> 75% off, rode it around town, which was awfully fun, then sold it at
>> a profit. The little wooden sided wagon isn't little. It's for
>> gardening, and has a 330 lb. capacity. You aren't very good at
>> noticing details. That's called sloppy.
>> https://www.harborfreight.com/bigfoo...on-60570.html?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> --Bryan

> I actually like it. If I had a need to get produce 1/2 acre away to
> the house (say a farm), it probably would be used.

I just ordered one. Been wanting one quite a while. It will make it
easier to carry in feed sacks and other supplies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 4:42:52 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:30:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> > What is amazing is how little the cost of this concoction has increased in the
> > twenty-seven years since this was posted. While things like house prices,
> > college tuition have gone crazy, canned tuna and canned mushroom prices
> > have hardly budged, and off brand boxed mac&cheese is still 50 cents or less.

> Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
> almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
> gone downnhill as well.

I was going by this website, which had tuna at 89 cents a can. I know I don't pay
more than about $1 a can, or I wouldn't buy it.
https://mclib.info/reference/local-h...prices/1993-2/

I see jarred mushrooms at Dollar Tree for $1, which is not much more than the
79 cents they were in the late 1980s, when I used to eat such things. I make
that boxed mac & cheese stuff for my teenage son, and I've gotten it as cheap
as 19 cents, and never paid more than 79 cents, or again, I wouldn't have bought
it.

You are correct that the standard size can has gone down from 6.5 oz to 5 oz,
but it's still only 72 cents a can.
https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...-5-oz/19718006

You really like for me to be incorrect. I guess you're still getting over having
claimed that your Rico's cheese crap wasn't trans-fatty, or perhaps I hit a raw
nerve when I (jokingly) suggested that maybe Mrs. Steve wasn't putting you
to sleep/waking you up nicely. I mean, that'd make me grumpy.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 3:02:16 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> On 11/29/2020 1:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > Canned meats are a thing in Samoa but mostly, they have a thing for
> > canned corned beef and canned albacore - they call it "wahoo."

> I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good to
> make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite crabcake
> recipe.

Oddly enough, canned meat is an important part of Samoan culture. They like to carry it with them wherever they may roam in the world. Wahoo is not really albacore, although some people think it is. It's a firm, white, fish that tastes milder than tuna. The Hawaiians call it "ono."

The Samoan canned Wahoo of choice was/is the Van Camp's brand. There used to be a cannery in Samoa that supplied the natives with this important food but I think that closed down. They're still selling Van Camp's Wahoo but I have no idea where it's processed. My guess is that it's some secret factory in WoHan.
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Camps-Ch.../dp/B07WVVBCH9

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 7:37:49 AM UTC-6, songbird wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
> > almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
> > gone downnhill as well.

> yeah, besides my own tastes have changed, i don't really like
> canned tuna much at all any more. for years it was eaten way
> too often. i do like a good casserole once in a while but that
> really is about it. for canned fish i'm much happier with
> sardines and for prime tuna i vastly prefer some nice slices of
> sashimi. i think i average eating that once every five years or
> so now. it's been a long time since i've had sardines now too.
> since i've not been doing much shopping there's been no looks
> for sale prices or new items to try.

I like kippered herring. When I was a child, I liked sardines in mustard
sauce. Sometimes I'd bring them to school for lunch. My mother
told me that the other kids would dislike me for bringing stinky fish,
but I told her that I didn't care.

> songbird

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:34:49 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 4:42:52 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:30:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >
> > > What is amazing is how little the cost of this concoction has increased in the
> > > twenty-seven years since this was posted. While things like house prices,
> > > college tuition have gone crazy, canned tuna and canned mushroom prices
> > > have hardly budged, and off brand boxed mac&cheese is still 50 cents or less.

> > Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
> > almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
> > gone downnhill as well.

> I was going by this website, which had tuna at 89 cents a can. I know I don't pay
> more than about $1 a can, or I wouldn't buy it.
> https://mclib.info/reference/local-h...prices/1993-2/
>
> I see jarred mushrooms at Dollar Tree for $1, which is not much more than the
> 79 cents they were in the late 1980s, when I used to eat such things. I make
> that boxed mac & cheese stuff for my teenage son, and I've gotten it as cheap
> as 19 cents, and never paid more than 79 cents, or again, I wouldn't have bought
> it.
>
> You are correct that the standard size can has gone down from 6.5 oz to 5 oz,
> but it's still only 72 cents a can.
> https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...-5-oz/19718006
>
> You really like for me to be incorrect. I guess you're still getting over having
> claimed that your Rico's cheese crap wasn't trans-fatty, or perhaps I hit a raw
> nerve when I (jokingly) suggested that maybe Mrs. Steve wasn't putting you
> to sleep/waking you up nicely. I mean, that'd make me grumpy.
> >
> > -sw

> --Bryan

I've been getting Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna from Costco. It's a better product than the awful stuff you get in the supermarket. It's like tuna used to be back in the old days - well, except for the fact that it's packed in water. Get it while you still can because one day, it'll be gone.

https://www.costco.com/chicken-of-th...100384209.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 5:44:01 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:34:49 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> > > Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
> > > almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
> > > gone downnhill as well.

> > I was going by this website, which had tuna at 89 cents a can. I know I don't pay
> > more than about $1 a can, or I wouldn't buy it.
> > https://mclib.info/reference/local-h...prices/1993-2/
> >
> > I see jarred mushrooms at Dollar Tree for $1, which is not much more than the
> > 79 cents they were in the late 1980s, when I used to eat such things. I make
> > that boxed mac & cheese stuff for my teenage son, and I've gotten it as cheap
> > as 19 cents, and never paid more than 79 cents, or again, I wouldn't have bought
> > it.
> >
> > You are correct that the standard size can has gone down from 6.5 oz to 5 oz,
> > but it's still only 72 cents a can.
> > https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...-5-oz/19718006
> >
> > You really like for me to be incorrect. I guess you're still getting over having
> > claimed that your Rico's cheese crap wasn't trans-fatty, or perhaps I hit a raw
> > nerve when I (jokingly) suggested that maybe Mrs. Steve wasn't putting you
> > to sleep/waking you up nicely. I mean, that'd make me grumpy.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > --Bryan

> I've been getting Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna from Costco. It's a better product than the awful stuff you get in the supermarket. It's like tuna used to be back in the old days - well, except for the fact that it's packed in water. Get it while you still can because one day, it'll be gone.
>
> https://www.costco.com/chicken-of-th...100384209.html

At 120 clams for 9 dinky cans, it's a vewy vewy expensive twash fish...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> On 11/29/2020 1:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > Canned meats are a thing in Samoa but mostly, they have a thing for
> > canned corned beef and canned albacore - they call it "wahoo."

> I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good
> to make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite
> crabcake recipe.

You know, I like to 'play with my food' and I was wondering if surime
(Fake lobster or crab) might be interesting to try for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 12:16:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2020-11-29 4:08 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > >
> > > Chili Dogs = Food of the Gods!
> > > Too bad you can't have any

> > It has been close to 50 years since I have had a chili dog. I lost
> > my taste for them after coming down with a horrible case of food
> > poisoning after eating one in the restaurant of the store where I
> > worked part time. I know what it is like to puke for 5 hours, and
> > that is something that I never want to go through again. I don't
> > think I would wish it on my worst enemy.

> My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up with
> another tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good news.
> I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie. It's
> delicious! Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of not
> breaking up the chips before adding the canned chili. Don't let
> anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is duck soup to make.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9

LOL! Still tasty, just wrong looking when still whole like that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-11-29 7:53 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 12:16:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith

> > > poisoning after eating one in the restaurant of the store where I
> > > worked part time. I know what it is like to puke for 5 hours, and
> > > that is something that I never want to go through again. I don't
> > > think I would wish it on my worst enemy.

> > My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up with
> > another tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good
> > news.

> You're right. Chances are pretty good that I ill never again come
> across another tainted chili dog. Chances are even better if I never
> even eat one If you ever end up puking and retching for 5 hours
> straight you will understand why I have no interest in eating another
> one.
>

> I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie. It's
> > delicious! Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of not
> > breaking up the chips before adding the canned chili. Don't let
> > anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is duck soup to make.

> I have had canned chili. I bought it once and I learned from my
> experience. Besides, I am on a low sodium diet these days so prepared
> foods are out, especially canned.

Not all canned foods are out, just learn t read the labels and selct
the versions with acceptable sodium. Generall speaking, the more 'name
brand' it is, the less acceptable sodium wise per serving. Hunts,
Heinz, Contadina tomato products for example are horrible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 5:27:44 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> It's shitty, but then hot dogs don't deserve any better.

> >> I rode a little pink scooter for a few months. I bought it at about
> >> 75% off, rode it around town, which was awfully fun, then sold it at
> >> a profit. The little wooden sided wagon isn't little. It's for
> >> gardening, and has a 330 lb. capacity. You aren't very good at
> >> noticing details. That's called sloppy.
> >> https://www.harborfreight.com/bigfoo...on-60570.html?

> >> --Bryan

> > I actually like it. If I had a need to get produce 1/2 acre away to
> > the house (say a farm), it probably would be used.
> >

> I just ordered one. Been wanting one quite a while. It will make it
> easier to carry in feed sacks and other supplies.

I would have rather gotten the larger flatbed, but my wife was
concerned about the size. While we'll use it at home, the main
purpose is to get our cooler and other camping stuff from the
county road where we park to the place where we camp,
especially that heavy-ass Orca cooler, which is very well insulated
and totally raccoon proof--bear proof too, but the bears are small
and few in the Missouri Ozarks, and they stay away from humans.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 15:34:44 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 4:42:52 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:30:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>
>>> What is amazing is how little the cost of this concoction has increased in the
>>> twenty-seven years since this was posted. While things like house prices,
>>> college tuition have gone crazy, canned tuna and canned mushroom prices
>>> have hardly budged, and off brand boxed mac&cheese is still 50 cents or less.

>> Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
>> almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
>> gone downnhill as well.

> I was going by this website, which had tuna at 89 cents a can. I know I don't pay
> more than about $1 a can, or I wouldn't buy it.
> https://mclib.info/reference/local-h...prices/1993-2/

Maybe for albacore solid white tuna it was $.89, but chunk light
tuna was $.30/can or 3 for $1 when I started buying groceries in
1988.

> I see jarred mushrooms at Dollar Tree for $1, which is not much more than the
> 79 cents they were in the late 1980s, when I used to eat such things. I make
> that boxed mac & cheese stuff for my teenage son, and I've gotten it as cheap
> as 19 cents, and never paid more than 79 cents, or again, I wouldn't have bought
> it.

And I hardly ever bought canned/bottles mushrooms. I bought a few
cans a year ago for emergency stash and they were horrible.

> You are correct that the standard size can has gone down from 6.5 oz to 5 oz,
> but it's still only 72 cents a can.
> https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...-5-oz/19718006

Original can size was 7oz. Which is what CostCo "put their foot
down" and reverted back to a few years ago.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/29/2020 8:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:53:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> > > My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up
> > > with another tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be
> > > good news. I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito
> > > Pie. It's delicious! Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie
> > > mistake of not breaking up the chips before adding the canned
> > > chili. Don't let anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is duck soup to
> > > make. https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9

> > You did it the traditional way? In the bag?
> > Janet US
> >

> Oh my... I do hope no one (Ophelia) really takes that seriously.
>
> Jill

Grin, hate to say it and not too sure how common it is but we've seen
it. Don saw it when out local fishing when we lived there. Super easy
on a boat and if you don't eat it all, apparently makes a nice 'chum'
for drawing some types of fish. Go more west of Pearl (Ala wai? I
forget, used to be all sugar cane) and locals would do little seafood
luaus with small family catch of the day and these. Easy cleanup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:29:42 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > On 11/29/2020 8:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 16:53:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> lost my >>>> taste for them after coming down with a horrible case of
> food poisoning >>>> after eating one in the restaurant of the store
> where I worked part >>>> time. I know what it is like to puke for 5
> hours, and that is something >>>> that I never want to go through
> again. I don't think I would wish it on >>>> my worst enemy.

> with another tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good
> news. >>> I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie.
> It's delicious! Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of
> not breaking up the chips before adding the canned chili. Don't let
> anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is duck soup to make. >>>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9 >> >> You did it the
> traditional way? In the bag? >> Janet US >>
> > Oh my... I do hope no one (Ophelia) really takes that seriously.
> >
> > Jill

> See below, Frito Pie in the Bag
>
> https://www.wideopencountry.com/make-frito-pie-bag/
>
> Janet US

Thanks! Had no idea it came from New Mexico! I saw it only in Hawaii
and as I said, not sure if it was common there, only that I'd seen it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-11-30 6:56 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>> I have had canned chili. I bought it once and I learned from my
>> experience. Besides, I am on a low sodium diet these days so prepared
>> foods are out, especially canned.

> Not all canned foods are out, just learn t read the labels and selct
> the versions with acceptable sodium. Generall speaking, the more 'name
> brand' it is, the less acceptable sodium wise per serving. Hunts,
> Heinz, Contadina tomato products for example are horrible.

The dietitian stressed the importance of checking the labels for the
nutrients list. There are a number of "blue menu" products with little
or no salt. The amount of salt varies a lot for the same products from
different companies. When I was stocking up on beans last week I found
that those being billed as organic had the highest salt content.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 6:08:43 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-11-30 6:56 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> >> I have had canned chili. I bought it once and I learned from my
> >> experience. Besides, I am on a low sodium diet these days so prepared
> >> foods are out, especially canned.

> > Not all canned foods are out, just learn t read the labels and selct
> > the versions with acceptable sodium. Generall speaking, the more 'name
> > brand' it is, the less acceptable sodium wise per serving. Hunts,
> > Heinz, Contadina tomato products for example are horrible.
> >

> The dietitian stressed the importance of checking the labels for the
> nutrients list. There are a number of "blue menu" products with little
> or no salt. The amount of salt varies a lot for the same products from
> different companies. When I was stocking up on beans last week I found
> that those being billed as organic had the highest salt content.

We only use canned beans when I don't have time or motivation to cook
dried beans in the pressure cooker, like when I get home from work wiped
out. I swear, if we had a Canadian style, single payer health care system,
my sixty year-old ass wouldn't continue to work full time for the employer
subsidized health insurance.

Dave, do you monitor your BP several times a day? Persons who have
high BP vary widely as to the effect that dietary sodium has on their BP.
It's not one-size-fits-all.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:49:29 PM UTC-10, GM wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 5:44:01 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I was going by this website, which had tuna at 89 cents a can. I know I don't pay
> > > more than about $1 a can, or I wouldn't buy it.
> > > https://mclib.info/reference/local-h...prices/1993-2/
> > >
> > > I see jarred mushrooms at Dollar Tree for $1, which is not much more than the
> > > 79 cents they were in the late 1980s, when I used to eat such things. I make
> > > that boxed mac & cheese stuff for my teenage son, and I've gotten it as cheap
> > > as 19 cents, and never paid more than 79 cents, or again, I wouldn't have bought
> > > it.
> > >
> > > You are correct that the standard size can has gone down from 6.5 oz to 5 oz,
> > > but it's still only 72 cents a can.
> > > https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...-5-oz/19718006
> > >
> > > You really like for me to be incorrect. I guess you're still getting over having
> > > claimed that your Rico's cheese crap wasn't trans-fatty, or perhaps I hit a raw
> > > nerve when I (jokingly) suggested that maybe Mrs. Steve wasn't putting you
> > > to sleep/waking you up nicely. I mean, that'd make me grumpy.

> > > --Bryan

> > I've been getting Chicken of the Sea Chunk Light Tuna from Costco. It's a better product than the awful stuff you get in the supermarket. It's like tuna used to be back in the old days - well, except for the fact that it's packed in water. Get it while you still can because one day, it'll be gone.
> >
> > https://www.costco.com/chicken-of-th...100384209.html

> At 120 clams for 9 dinky cans, it's a vewy vewy expensive twash fish...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Yoose must be lolo from the pakalolo, brudda. Da cans are about $1.50 each.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 19:10:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-11-30 6:56 p.m., cshenk wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I have had canned chili. I bought it once and I learned from my
>>> experience. Besides, I am on a low sodium diet these days so prepared
>>> foods are out, especially canned.

>> Not all canned foods are out, just learn t read the labels and selct
>> the versions with acceptable sodium. Generall speaking, the more 'name
>> brand' it is, the less acceptable sodium wise per serving. Hunts,
>> Heinz, Contadina tomato products for example are horrible.
>>

>The dietitian stressed the importance of checking the labels for the
>nutrients list.

And don't forget the ingredient list either!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 5:27:44 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> I actually like it. If I had a need to get produce 1/2 acre away to
>>> the house (say a farm), it probably would be used.
>>>

>> I just ordered one. Been wanting one quite a while. It will make it
>> easier to carry in feed sacks and other supplies.

> I would have rather gotten the larger flatbed, but my wife was
> concerned about the size. While we'll use it at home, the main
> purpose is to get our cooler and other camping stuff from the
> county road where we park to the place where we camp,
> especially that heavy-ass Orca cooler, which is very well insulated
> and totally raccoon proof--bear proof too, but the bears are small
> and few in the Missouri Ozarks, and they stay away from humans.
>
> --Bryan

I hope it's well made and sturdy. Some harbor freight stuff is, but
some ain't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 4:42:52 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 03:30:24 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>
>>> What is amazing is how little the cost of this concoction has increased in the
>>> twenty-seven years since this was posted. While things like house prices,
>>> college tuition have gone crazy, canned tuna and canned mushroom prices
>>> have hardly budged, and off brand boxed mac&cheese is still 50 cents or less.

>> Chunk light tuna in oil has gone up 300% and the cans have shrunk
>> almost 30%. And the quality and tuna raitio to packing material has
>> gone downnhill as well.

> I was going by this website, which had tuna at 89 cents a can. I know I don't pay
> more than about $1 a can, or I wouldn't buy it.
> https://mclib.info/reference/local-h...prices/1993-2/
>
> I see jarred mushrooms at Dollar Tree for $1, which is not much more than the
> 79 cents they were in the late 1980s, when I used to eat such things. I make
> that boxed mac & cheese stuff for my teenage son, and I've gotten it as cheap
> as 19 cents, and never paid more than 79 cents, or again, I wouldn't have bought
> it.
>
> You are correct that the standard size can has gone down from 6.5 oz to 5 oz,
> but it's still only 72 cents a can.
> https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/G...-5-oz/19718006
>
> You really like for me to be incorrect. I guess you're still getting over having
> claimed that your Rico's cheese crap wasn't trans-fatty, or perhaps I hit a raw
> nerve when I (jokingly) suggested that maybe Mrs. Steve wasn't putting you
> to sleep/waking you up nicely. I mean, that'd make me grumpy.
>>
>> -sw

> --Bryan

Maybe he buys the expensive shit for connoisseurs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> On 11/29/2020 1:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> Canned meats are a thing in Samoa but mostly, they have a thing for
>>> canned corned beef and canned albacore - they call it "wahoo."

>> I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good
>> to make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite
>> crabcake recipe.

> You know, I like to 'play with my food' and I was wondering if surime
> (Fake lobster or crab) might be interesting to try for that.

Worth a try I guess. Isn't that stuff just pollock with some red
food coloring?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-11-30 6:56 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I have had canned chili. I bought it once and I learned from my
> > > experience. Besides, I am on a low sodium diet these days so
> > > prepared foods are out, especially canned.

> > Not all canned foods are out, just learn t read the labels and selct
> > the versions with acceptable sodium. Generall speaking, the more
> > 'name brand' it is, the less acceptable sodium wise per serving.
> > Hunts, Heinz, Contadina tomato products for example are horrible.
> >

> The dietitian stressed the importance of checking the labels for the
> nutrients list. There are a number of "blue menu" products with
> little or no salt. The amount of salt varies a lot for the same
> products from different companies. When I was stocking up on beans
> last week I found that those being billed as organic had the highest
> salt content.

Interesting! Normally I think they try to be more 'healthy' but I
guess not!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 6:08:43 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> > prepared >> foods are out, especially canned.
> > >
> > > Not all canned foods are out, just learn t read the labels and
> > > selct the versions with acceptable sodium. Generall speaking, the
> > > more 'name brand' it is, the less acceptable sodium wise per
> > > serving. Hunts, Heinz, Contadina tomato products for example are
> > > horrible.
> > >

> > The dietitian stressed the importance of checking the labels for
> > the nutrients list. There are a number of "blue menu" products with
> > little or no salt. The amount of salt varies a lot for the same
> > products from different companies. When I was stocking up on beans
> > last week I found that those being billed as organic had the
> > highest salt content.

> We only use canned beans when I don't have time or motivation to cook
> dried beans in the pressure cooker, like when I get home from work
> wiped out. I swear, if we had a Canadian style, single payer health
> care system, my sixty year-old ass wouldn't continue to work full
> time for the employer subsidized health insurance.
>
> Dave, do you monitor your BP several times a day? Persons who have
> high BP vary widely as to the effect that dietary sodium has on their
> BP. It's not one-size-fits-all.
>
> --Bryan

I have some canned beans but only a few types and more the frills like
black ones. I think I have 3 cans of them now? 1 is a black bean and
2 are refried pintos. Agree with you that it's not a one-size-fits-all
deal on the sodium. Doctors will always blame salt intake as it frees
them of litigation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
> > On 11/29/2020 1:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > > Canned meats are a thing in Samoa but mostly, they have a thing for
> > > canned corned beef and canned albacore - they call it "wahoo."

> > I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good
> > to make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite
> > crabcake recipe.

> You know, I like to 'play with my food' and I was wondering if surime
> (Fake lobster or crab) might be interesting to try for that.

I've had fried cakes, dips, and poke, made with fake crab. I don't care for fake crab by itself but it can be made to be ono.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> You know, I like to 'play with my food' and I was wondering if surime
> (Fake lobster or crab) might be interesting to try for that.

there used to be a brand of the fake crab meat that we both
liked but something changed and we didn't like it any more.

we used to buy a few packages a month at a reasonable price.

i liked it well enough to eat it from the package cold with
nothing else on it at all. also liked it with melted butter
(with or without garlic) or cocktail sauce.

haven't tried it again in about a year.

and someone mentioned that they don't know where certain
things are processed i think that now a lot of the canning
done is done right on the ships.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Interesting! Normally I think they try to be more 'healthy' but I
> guess not!

we just make big pots of beans and then freeze them in quart
jars. when we want some they thaw out quick enough. if you
drain the sludge (that's what Mom calls it) and then freeze them
you can thaw them out by running hot water on them pretty fast.
normally though i just put them in the fridge the day before and
they're thawed out well enough the next day.

i don't salt them when cooking them to begin with.

one general point about some meats is that they will have more
salt (and a reason i rarely add salt to much of anything other
than using some garlic salt on burgers when i'm frying them).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 21:02:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>> > I don't like canned albacore for tuna sandwiches but it's very good
>> > to make fish cakes (aka faux crab cakes). Just youse your favorite
>> > crabcake recipe.

>> You know, I like to 'play with my food' and I was wondering if surime
>> (Fake lobster or crab) might be interesting to try for that.

>I've had fried cakes, dips, and poke, made with fake crab. I don't care for fake crab by itself but it can be made to be ono.

I think it's Ono too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Nov 29, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up with another
> tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good news.
> I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie. It's delicious!
> Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of not breaking up the chips
> before adding the canned chili. Don't let anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is
> duck soup to make.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9

I´ve heard of Frito Pie. I think it´s a regional thing. Yours looks
great, and I love the presentation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 10:01:43 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Nov 29, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
> > My guess is that it's a safe bet that you won't be meeting up with another My
> > tainted chili dog in your lifetime. That should be good news.
> > I'm having an old Hawaiian style lunch today: Frito Pie. It's delicious!
> > Unfortunately, I made the classic rookie mistake of not breaking up the chips
> > before adding the canned chili. Don't let anyone tell you that a Frito Pie is
> > duck soup to make.
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5iXUXwW5AS2AUGA9

> I´ve heard of Frito Pie. I think it´s a regional thing. Yours looks
> great, and I love the presentation.

My Frito pie is just the usual presentation. Nothing special about it. I think the real deal uses a chili sauce instead of chili. I used canned chili. Just make sure you cut the bag on the side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEUGC69Yss