Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Toscano seasoned pizza cheese

Ever heard of it? The ingredients list Toscano cheese and then the various
seasonings. I got it at TJ's and also a bag of their pizza dough.

Just baked the pizza. Haven't tried it yet as I don't like hot pizza.

The cheese is more expensive than mozzarella. It's a pale, almost butter
yellow color. I could not see any visible seasoning.

There wasn't enough cheese for my liking. I had a small amount of mixed
Italian cheeses. I added that and also a very small bit of cheddar. I can
see that the other cheeses melted, but it doesn't look like the Toscano
cheese melted very much.

I also had to bake it for 6 min. longer, and the crust still wasn't as brown
as I wanted. But the cheese was brown and I didn't want it to burn. Yes, I
followed the instructions. Bake at 475 degrees for 8 to 12 min. I set the
timer for 10 min. So total bake time was 16 min. Used a pizza pan.

Anyway... Anyone heard of this or used it. On the side is sautéed Haricot
Verts with asst. small tomatoes, cooked in olive oil with salt and pepper,
finished with Balsamic glaze and Feta cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Just baked the pizza. Haven't tried it yet as I don't like hot pizza.

lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2020 8:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Just baked the pizza. Haven't tried it yet as I don't like hot pizza.

> lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
> that or Jill. You two Princess gals!

Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
a skillet on the stovetop.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/20/2020 8:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> Just baked the pizza. Haven't tried it yet as I don't like hot pizza.

> > lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
> > that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
> >

> Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
> a skillet on the stovetop.

Make much difference? I just toss a cold slice on a plate and
microwave for about 40 seconds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 11:06:59 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:

>> > lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
>> > that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
>> >

>> Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
>> a skillet on the stovetop.

>Make much difference? I just toss a cold slice on a plate and
>microwave for about 40 seconds.

That's what I do, but mostly I'll eat a slice cold from the fridge.
DesignToscano.com is a great site for those into Midevil/Gothic decor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 11:03:51 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/20/2020 8:29 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Just baked the pizza. Haven't tried it yet as I don't like hot pizza.

>> lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
>> that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
>>

>Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
>a skillet on the stovetop.

Ok, cold pizza added to the many things Jill doesn't like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:

>> > lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
>> > that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
>> >

>> Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
>> a skillet on the stovetop.

> Make much difference? I just toss a cold slice on a plate and
> microwave for about 40 seconds.

I prefer mine room temp. or slightly warm. I can eat it cold, but if it's in
the fridge, I try to take it out about a half hour before eating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon Martin" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 11:06:59 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

>>> Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
>>> a skillet on the stovetop.

>>Make much difference? I just toss a cold slice on a plate and
>>microwave for about 40 seconds.

> That's what I do, but mostly I'll eat a slice cold from the fridge.
> DesignToscano.com is a great site for those into Midevil/Gothic decor

Yes.

Here's the weird thing. I tried looking this cheese up and it seems to be
something only TJ's sells. I saw reference to it on a cheese plate that they
sell.

I did see Toscano Pecorino or maybe it was Pecorino Toscano. I saw a cheese
company named Toscano that sells a few Italian and Spanish cheeses. Also an
Italian food company that sells cheeses and other things.

The cheese had a slightly nutty flavor. Very different than Mozzarella. The
downfall was the crust. I felt it was very bland tasting. I topped it with a
bit of olive oil. I could taste that. I didn't really like the texture
either. It was neither thick nor thin, neither crisp nor chewy. And two of
the slices sort of cracked in two, sideways when I picked them up. I guess I
can't complain too much as it was only 99 cents. But Jiffy Mix or Pillsbury
make a better crust. If I try it again, I will use some garlic butter on it.

I once bought a marked down cheese pizza from Fred Meyer. It was flavorless.
I tried another one later, and put some garlic butter around the edge and on
top of the cheese. I realize the right way to do it would be all over the
crust. But since it had toppings, I couldn't do that. At any rate, the
garlic butter made all the difference in the world!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2020 11:06 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
>>> that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
>>>

>> Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
>> a skillet on the stovetop.

> Make much difference? I just toss a cold slice on a plate and
> microwave for about 40 seconds.

If you like crispy crust (I do) it makes a *big* difference.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 1:09:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 11:03:51 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> lol! I had to check headers again to see if it was you saying
> >> that or Jill. You two Princess gals!
> >>

> >Got that wrong, Gary. I don't like *cold* pizza. I reheat it gently in
> >a skillet on the stovetop.

> Ok, cold pizza added to the many things Jill doesn't like.

Since you are making a list today, add me to the "I don't like cold pizza"
column.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 2:25:00 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 1:09:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> >> Ok, cold pizza added to the many things Jill doesn't like.
> >>

> > Since you are making a list today, add me to the "I don't like cold pizza"
> > column.
> >

> Relax. He's just sniffing around jill, as usual.

I just cannot sublimate my sniffing "urges"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/20/2020 12:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Ever heard of it? The ingredients list Toscano cheese and then the
> various seasonings. I got it at TJ's and also a bag of their pizza dough.

No, I've never heard of it. I buy a blend of cheeses from the grocery
store for pizza topping and and none of it is called Toscano.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/20/2020 12:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Ever heard of it? The ingredients list Toscano cheese and then the
>> various seasonings. I got it at TJ's and also a bag of their pizza dough.
>>

> No, I've never heard of it. I buy a blend of cheeses from the grocery
> store for pizza topping and and none of it is called Toscano.

Thanks. From what I've read online, I think it's a TJ's only item.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2020 12:59 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 10/20/2020 12:21 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Ever heard of it? The ingredients list Toscano cheese and then the
>>> various seasonings. I got it at TJ's and also a bag of their pizza
>>> dough.
>>>

>> No, I've never heard of it.* I buy a blend of cheeses from the grocery
>> store for pizza topping and and none of it is called Toscano.

> Thanks. From what I've read online, I think it's a TJ's only item.

If that's the case it explains why I've not heard of it. There isn't a
TJ's in this town.

Jill

Costco Toscano Olive Oil Janet Bostwick General Cooking 17 12-02-2013 04:03 AM
Homemade pizza and garlic and cheese calzones... was Dominos Meat Pie Pizza Sheldon General Cooking 1 04-05-2007 06:42 PM
Homemade pizza and garlic and cheese calzones... was Dominos Meat Pie Pizza Sheldon General Cooking 0 04-05-2007 04:09 PM
Cheese Pizza Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-10-2005 03:28 PM
Pane Toscano (bread from Tuscany) Mariapaola Recipes (moderated) 0 12-01-2004 01:21 PM