Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mike the headless chicken

A friend sent me a link to a video about Mike the chicken. The story is
that a farmer slaughtered 40 chickens, chopping their heads off with an
axe. One of them recovered from the beheading. It seems that the botched
hatchet job had missed the jugular vein and left enough of the bird's
brain stem and a clot stopped the blood loss. They fed him with an eye
dropper. The farmer took the chicken on the road and making appearances
at circus freak shows.

The video looks kind of hokey and fake, but I checked it out online and
it's true. Mike met his final fate in a motel room when the owner left
his feed out. The bird choked on a kernel of corn. The entire story is
amazing, even the fact that a chicken got choked in a cheap motel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSjgHj2dF8

My father grew up on a farm and told us once that he had chopped a head
off a chicken to be cooked for supper. The headless chicken ran, jumped
up and sat it a roost for a while. She only lasted a few minutes without
her head.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2020 11:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> A friend sent me a link to a video about Mike the chicken. The story is
> that a farmer slaughtered 40 chickens, chopping their heads off with an
> axe. One of them recovered from the beheading. It seems that the botched
> hatchet job had missed the jugular vein and left enough of the bird's
> brain stem and a clot stopped the blood loss. They fed him with an eye
> dropper. The farmer took the chicken on the road and making appearances
> at circus freak shows.
>
> The video looks kind of hokey and fake, but I checked it out online and
> it's true. Mike met his final fate in a motel room when the owner left
> his feed out. The bird choked on a kernel of corn. The entire story is
> amazing, even the fact that a chicken got choked in a cheap motel.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSjgHj2dF8
>

> My father grew up on a farm and told us once that he had chopped a head
> off a chicken to be cooked for supper. The headless chicken ran, jumped
> up and sat it a roost for a while. She only lasted a few minutes without
> her head.

I know people that have gone for years without using their heads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/20 11:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> A friend sent me a link to a video about Mike the chicken. The story is
> that a farmer slaughtered 40 chickens, chopping their heads off with an
> axe. One of them recovered from the beheading. It seems that the botched
> hatchet job had missed the jugular vein and left enough of the bird's
> brain stem and a clot stopped the blood loss.Â* They fed him with an eye
> dropper. The farmer took the chicken on the road and making appearances
> at circus freak shows.
>
> The video looks kind of hokey and fake, but I checked it out online and
> it's true. Mike met his final fate in a motel room when the owner left
> his feed out. The bird choked on a kernel of corn. The entire story is
> amazing, even the fact that a chicken got choked in a cheap motel.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSjgHj2dF8
>

> My father grew up on a farm and told us once that he had chopped a head
> off a chicken to be cooked for supper. The headless chicken ran, jumped
> up and sat it a roost for a while. She only lasted a few minutes without
> her head.

how does a headless chicken eat corn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-13 4:02 p.m., ZZyXX wrote:
> On 10/13/20 11:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> A friend sent me a link to a video about Mike the chicken. The story
>> is that a farmer slaughtered 40 chickens, chopping their heads off
>> with an axe. One of them recovered from the beheading. It seems that
>> the botched hatchet job had missed the jugular vein and left enough of
>> the bird's brain stem and a clot stopped the blood loss.Â* They fed him
>> with an eye dropper. The farmer took the chicken on the road and
>> making appearances at circus freak shows.
>>
>> The video looks kind of hokey and fake, but I checked it out online
>> and it's true. Mike met his final fate in a motel room when the owner
>> left his feed out. The bird choked on a kernel of corn. The entire
>> story is amazing, even the fact that a chicken got choked in a cheap
>> motel.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSjgHj2dF8
>>

>> My father grew up on a farm and told us once that he had chopped a
>> head off a chicken to be cooked for supper. The headless chicken ran,
>> jumped up and sat it a roost for a while. She only lasted a few
>> minutes without her head.

> how does a headless chicken eat corn

Apparently not very well.
They used to feed him with an eye dropper right into his throat. I guess
they were grinding it up and adding liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/20 3:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-13 4:02 p.m., ZZyXX wrote:
>> On 10/13/20 11:24 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> A friend sent me a link to a video about Mike the chicken. The story
>>> is that a farmer slaughtered 40 chickens, chopping their heads off
>>> with an axe. One of them recovered from the beheading. It seems that
>>> the botched hatchet job had missed the jugular vein and left enough
>>> of the bird's brain stem and a clot stopped the blood loss.Â* They fed
>>> him with an eye dropper. The farmer took the chicken on the road and
>>> making appearances at circus freak shows.
>>>
>>> The video looks kind of hokey and fake, but I checked it out online
>>> and it's true. Mike met his final fate in a motel room when the owner
>>> left his feed out. The bird choked on a kernel of corn. The entire
>>> story is amazing, even the fact that a chicken got choked in a cheap
>>> motel.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSjgHj2dF8
>>>

>>> My father grew up on a farm and told us once that he had chopped a
>>> head off a chicken to be cooked for supper. The headless chicken ran,
>>> jumped up and sat it a roost for a while. She only lasted a few
>>> minutes without her head.

>> how does a headless chicken eat corn

> Apparently not very well.
> They used to feed him with an eye dropper right into his throat. I guess
> they were grinding it up and adding liquid.

then how did the chicken find a kernel of corn

Thank you Mike Avery Dayashankar Joshi Sourdough 0 13-12-2012 10:08 AM
Mike Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 0 05-10-2012 03:54 PM
Mike's Marshmallows Marlene Wood Tea 1 14-08-2005 07:57 AM
Mike's Chocolate Big One! Tim Recipes 0 11-07-2005 10:16 AM