Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Heart Healthy pumpkin pie

My wife had volunteered me to make a pumpkin pie to take to my brother's
Thanksgiving dinner. She had found a heart healthy pie dough recipe.

The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup of canola oil and 4-5
Tbsp milk. You start by mixing 1/4 cup of the flour with the oil and
then stick it in the freezer for 40 minutes. Mix the rest of the flour
into the cold mixture and then knead it 8-10 times, form a disk, wrap it
and stick it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before rolling it out.

Rolling it was an experience. I had no trouble with keeping it circular
or cracking. The problem was that it just didn't want to spread out.
While I can normally roll out a pie crust in a minute or two, this one
took more than 10 minutes of very hard rolling. I can't believe how hard
it was to get that stuff thin enough and wide enough to fit the pie pan.
I had no shortening and not enough time to start over, so I persisted.

The filling worked out great. I was a little generous with the cloves
and ginger powder but it worked out well.

I was expecting that the pi crust would be tough as hell. I can't say
that it was a flaky as I had been told it would be, but it didn't wasn't
as tough as I had expected it be. It was actually pretty good.

I might try making it again, but I think I would like to put it through
a rolling machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 23:17:01 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>My wife had volunteered me to make a pumpkin pie to take to my brother's
>Thanksgiving dinner. She had found a heart healthy pie dough recipe.
>
>The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup of canola oil and 4-5
>Tbsp milk. You start by mixing 1/4 cup of the flour with the oil and
>then stick it in the freezer for 40 minutes. Mix the rest of the flour
>into the cold mixture and then knead it 8-10 times, form a disk, wrap it
> and stick it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before rolling it out.
>
>Rolling it was an experience. I had no trouble with keeping it circular
>or cracking. The problem was that it just didn't want to spread out.
>While I can normally roll out a pie crust in a minute or two, this one
>took more than 10 minutes of very hard rolling. I can't believe how hard
>it was to get that stuff thin enough and wide enough to fit the pie pan.
>I had no shortening and not enough time to start over, so I persisted.
>
>The filling worked out great. I was a little generous with the cloves
>and ginger powder but it worked out well.
>
>I was expecting that the pi crust would be tough as hell. I can't say
>that it was a flaky as I had been told it would be, but it didn't wasn't
>as tough as I had expected it be. It was actually pretty good.
>
>I might try making it again, but I think I would like to put it through
>a rolling machine.

Next time try a graham cracker crust, goes far better with pumpkin or
any pudding pie. They cost a lot less at markets or make your own by
crushing crackers.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=graham+cr...f=nb_sb_noss_1
I make a crumb crust with these for cheesecake:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/food/...IEJ1dHRlcgieie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> My wife had volunteered me to make a pumpkin pie to take to my brother's
> Thanksgiving dinner. She had found a heart healthy pie dough recipe.
>
> The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup of canola oil and 4-5
> Tbsp milk. You start by mixing 1/4 cup of the flour with the oil and
> then stick it in the freezer for 40 minutes.

That's very odd to start with.

> Mix the rest of the flour
> into the cold mixture and then knead it 8-10 times, form a disk, wrap it
> and stick it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before rolling it out.

You should never knead a pie dough. Mix minimally, then stop.
Same as when mixing dough for biscuits. Don't over work it.

> Rolling it was an experience. I had no trouble with keeping it circular
> or cracking. The problem was that it just didn't want to spread out.
> While I can normally roll out a pie crust in a minute or two, this one
> took more than 10 minutes of very hard rolling. I can't believe how hard
> it was to get that stuff thin enough and wide enough to fit the pie pan.

Sounds like it was too darn cold, Dave. After 10 minutes it
finally warmed up enough to spread out better.

My recipe for a one crust pie is about the same except a
pinch of salt and no milk added. Add water a TBS at a time
until the dough is right. Mix it all at once, press down
and chill in fridge for only about 5 minutes.

Roll it out on floured wax paper to proper size. Then set it
upsidedown over pie dish and carefully peel off the wax paper.

Tip: to keep your wax paper from sliding as you roll,
moisten the countertop slightly then put the
wax paper on the moistened area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 11:17:10 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> My wife had volunteered me to make a pumpkin pie to take to my brother's
> Thanksgiving dinner. She had found a heart healthy pie dough recipe.
>
> The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup of canola oil and 4-5
> Tbsp milk. You start by mixing 1/4 cup of the flour with the oil and
> then stick it in the freezer for 40 minutes. Mix the rest of the flour
> into the cold mixture and then knead it 8-10 times, form a disk, wrap it
> and stick it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before rolling it out.
>
> Rolling it was an experience. I had no trouble with keeping it circular
> or cracking. The problem was that it just didn't want to spread out.
> While I can normally roll out a pie crust in a minute or two, this one
> took more than 10 minutes of very hard rolling. I can't believe how hard
> it was to get that stuff thin enough and wide enough to fit the pie pan.
> I had no shortening and not enough time to start over, so I persisted.
>
> The filling worked out great. I was a little generous with the cloves
> and ginger powder but it worked out well.
>
> I was expecting that the pi crust would be tough as hell. I can't say
> that it was a flaky as I had been told it would be, but it didn't wasn't
> as tough as I had expected it be. It was actually pretty good.
>
> I might try making it again, but I think I would like to put it through
> a rolling machine.

All that work, I think I'd just do pumpkin pudding.

Actually Sheldon's graham cracker crust idea sound tasty (but not
necessarily heart healthy), but I'd never buy a crust. Those things
taste like dust compared to the real thing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-13 7:21 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> My wife had volunteered me to make a pumpkin pie to take to my brother's
>> Thanksgiving dinner. She had found a heart healthy pie dough recipe.
>>
>> The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup of canola oil and 4-5
>> Tbsp milk. You start by mixing 1/4 cup of the flour with the oil and
>> then stick it in the freezer for 40 minutes.

> That's very odd to start with.
>
>> Mix the rest of the flour
>> into the cold mixture and then knead it 8-10 times, form a disk, wrap it
>> and stick it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before rolling it out.

> You should never knead a pie dough. Mix minimally, then stop.
> Same as when mixing dough for biscuits. Don't over work it.

It would never have occurred to me to knead pie dough, but that was what
the instructions indicated.

>> Rolling it was an experience. I had no trouble with keeping it circular
>> or cracking. The problem was that it just didn't want to spread out.
>> While I can normally roll out a pie crust in a minute or two, this one
>> took more than 10 minutes of very hard rolling. I can't believe how hard
>> it was to get that stuff thin enough and wide enough to fit the pie pan.

> Sounds like it was too darn cold, Dave. After 10 minutes it
> finally warmed up enough to spread out better.

But..... it wasn't getting any easier. It was still a lot of work to
press down and roll it out. It is quite common to press the edges out
1/2inch or more on a pass with the roller, but this stuff might have
gained only 1/8th of an inch, and I really had to press down to get that
much.

Yet..... the results were surprisingly good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-13 10:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Actually Sheldon's graham cracker crust idea sound tasty (but not
> necessarily heart healthy), but I'd never buy a crust. Those things
> taste like dust compared to the real thing.

If I had had my druthers I would have just made a regular pie crust. One
or two pieces is not going to kill me immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2020 12:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-13 10:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Actually Sheldon's graham cracker crust idea sound tasty (but not
>> necessarily heart healthy), but I'd never buy a crust.Â* Those things
>> taste like dust compared to the real thing.
>>

> If I had had my druthers I would have just made a regular pie crust. One
> or two pieces is not going to kill me immediately.

If it did, you'd probably die happy.

Jill