Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gorcery Delivery from Walmart Didn't Suck

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:46:21 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 12:11:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2020-10-13 11:29 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Not quite as bad as having neighbors who sold Amway products.* In the
>>> 1970's my mother was invited to a little party by a new neighbor.* She
>>> thought the neighbor was just being friendly.* She had no idea she was
>>> going to be subjected to an Amway sales pitch.* That ticked her off no end!
>>>

>>I get a kick out of marketing schemes that suck women into hosting
>>parties and inviting their friends so they will go into a buying frenzy.
>> They use your contacts and you are expected to provide snacks and
>>beverages and all you get in return is a discount on the stuff you buy
>>at inflated prices.

>The last kind of party like that I was invited to has to be 30 years
>ago. It was for sex toys. I haven't been around people who have
>'parties' for a long time. Are those parties still a thing?
>Janet US

Back then we jokingly referred to them as ****erware Parties, as I
recall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:44:01 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 11:29:17 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>snip
>>I have some vintage Tupperware stuff but I do prefer the very sturdy
>>Rubbermaid containers.
>>
>>Jill

>Remember the iceberg lettuce keeper? I still have mine but gets
>little use. The iceberg lettuce heads of today are so very much
>larger that they won't fit into the bowl until almost all gone.
>Janet US

That green bowl? I have it on a shelf over my desk....the lid is long
lost, but I keep pills in there - vitamins, aspirin, that sort of
thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2020 12:46 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 12:11:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2020-10-13 11:29 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Not quite as bad as having neighbors who sold Amway products.Â* In the
>>> 1970's my mother was invited to a little party by a new neighbor.Â* She
>>> thought the neighbor was just being friendly.Â* She had no idea she was
>>> going to be subjected to an Amway sales pitch.Â* That ticked her off no end!
>>>

>> I get a kick out of marketing schemes that suck women into hosting
>> parties and inviting their friends so they will go into a buying frenzy.
>> They use your contacts and you are expected to provide snacks and
>> beverages and all you get in return is a discount on the stuff you buy
>> at inflated prices.

> The last kind of party like that I was invited to has to be 30 years
> ago. It was for sex toys. I haven't been around people who have
> 'parties' for a long time. Are those parties still a thing?
> Janet US

I went to one of those parties once when my brother was getting married.
His (now ex-wife) had a "bachelorette party". Wasn't so much sex toys
as it was scented lotions and lingerie. I do recall lipstick shaped
like a penis. Anything that small was hardly worth looking at. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:40:46 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/13/2020 12:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 11:29:17 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>> snip
>>> I have some vintage Tupperware stuff but I do prefer the very sturdy
>>> Rubbermaid containers.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Remember the iceberg lettuce keeper? I still have mine but gets
>> little use. The iceberg lettuce heads of today are so very much
>> larger that they won't fit into the bowl until almost all gone.
>> Janet US
>>

>Yep! I remember it was a light green shade to sort of match the lettuce
>and had sort of a curved top to fit the lettuce. Mom had one but it's
>long gone. I've got a couple of tall Tupperware tumblers that used to
>have lids that snapped on top so you could take beverages with you if
>you went someplace. The lids are long gone but I still drink milk and
>juice from the two remaining tumblers. And of course, I still have the
>hamburger press set Mom gave me 40 years ago. I used to have a
>Tupperware "lunchbox", too. Like this:
>
>https://tinyurl.com/yydkt5nd
>
>I got rid of that a long time ago.
>
>Jill

cute but maybe a little awkward?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:05:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

snip
>I'm just not sure I'd want to keep a plastic container for 30 or 40 years.
>Plastic tends to attract and retain oily substances, even after washing.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Yes! That is why I got rid of the Tupperware (and the fact that the
lids warped)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:38:38 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/13/2020 12:46 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 12:11:39 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I get a kick out of marketing schemes that suck women into hosting
>>> parties and inviting their friends so they will go into a buying frenzy.
>>> They use your contacts and you are expected to provide snacks and
>>> beverages and all you get in return is a discount on the stuff you buy
>>> at inflated prices.

>> The last kind of party like that I was invited to has to be 30 years
>> ago. It was for sex toys. I haven't been around people who have
>> 'parties' for a long time. Are those parties still a thing?
>> Janet US
>>

>I went to one of those parties once when my brother was getting married.
> His (now ex-wife) had a "bachelorette party". Wasn't so much sex toys
>as it was scented lotions and lingerie. I do recall lipstick shaped
>like a penis. Anything that small was hardly worth looking at. LOL

"some of us are actually trying to discuss food" (Jill)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2020 7:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:40:46 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2020 12:44 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 11:29:17 -0400, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> snip

>>> Remember the iceberg lettuce keeper? I still have mine but gets
>>> little use. The iceberg lettuce heads of today are so very much
>>> larger that they won't fit into the bowl until almost all gone.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Yep! I remember it was a light green shade to sort of match the lettuce
>> and had sort of a curved top to fit the lettuce. Mom had one but it's
>> long gone. I've got a couple of tall Tupperware tumblers that used to
>> have lids that snapped on top so you could take beverages with you if
>> you went someplace. The lids are long gone but I still drink milk and
>> juice from the two remaining tumblers. And of course, I still have the
>> hamburger press set Mom gave me 40 years ago. I used to have a
>> Tupperware "lunchbox", too. Like this:
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/yydkt5nd
>>
>> I got rid of that a long time ago.
>>
>> Jill

> cute but maybe a little awkward?
> Janet US

That was another Tupperware gift from Mom. She meant well but yeah, I
felt a little silly taking a "lunchbox" to work.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clogs R Us wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:38:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/2020 12:46 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 12:11:39 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> The last kind of party like that I was invited to has to be 30 years
>>> ago. It was for sex toys. I haven't been around people who have
>>> 'parties' for a long time. Are those parties still a thing?
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I went to one of those parties once when my brother was getting married.
>> His (now ex-wife) had a "bachelorette party". Wasn't so much sex toys
>> as it was scented lotions and lingerie. I do recall lipstick shaped
>> like a penis. Anything that small was hardly worth looking at. LOL

> "some of us are actually trying to discuss food" (Jill)

<*SNIFF*>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 6:14:16 PM UTC-4, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 10:46:21 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 12:11:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >>I get a kick out of marketing schemes that suck women into hosting
> >>parties and inviting their friends so they will go into a buying frenzy.
> >> They use your contacts and you are expected to provide snacks and
> >>beverages and all you get in return is a discount on the stuff you buy
> >>at inflated prices.

> >The last kind of party like that I was invited to has to be 30 years
> >ago. It was for sex toys. I haven't been around people who have
> >'parties' for a long time. Are those parties still a thing?
> >Janet US

> Back then we jokingly referred to them as ****erware Parties, as I
> recall.

Schtupperware, here. From the Yiddish.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 08:59:29 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Back then, they weren't very expensive at all. And all
> products were made to last. Maybe not so quality now
> after all these years.

Circa 1965:

https://i.postimg.cc/BQFfTPMH/Tupperware-Pitcher.jpg

I lost the lid or the flappy broke. I think my set of nested
measuring cups are Tupperware as well.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 06:24:54 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> When I buy Rubbermaid items, I don't even look.
>> I just assume everything is made in China.

> Even better than Rubbermaid is/was Tupperware.
> I have several products from each. (early 1980s)
> The Rubbermade containers eventually crack.
> Mainly the lids.
> All my old Tupperware is just as good as ever,
> just a little used looking. Still nice and flexible
> and never goes bad.

My mother's Uncle (grandfather's brother's son - is that still an
uncle?) Earl founded the company - her maiden name is Tupper. She
doesn't recall ever meeting him, and the MLM scheme didn't quite
trickle down into the family either.

-sw

$10 off of first delivery - Door To Door Organics - FREE DELIVERY! bobob Marketplace 0 14-09-2012 03:26 PM
Will WalMart save US small farmer? See what Walmart is doing now Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 13 28-03-2010 11:04 PM
I Suck pfoley General Cooking 0 19-01-2007 09:25 PM
Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: WalMart Stewart Goes to the WalMart Vineyard Ubiquitous General Cooking 7 26-05-2006 02:05 AM