Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lasagna tonight

My mother always used cottage cheese, rather than ricotta, so I do that every so often. I browned a pound of very crumbled ground beef, and mixed in a jar of Mid's meat sauce I had in the pantry, and a good glug of olive oil.. I layered meat sauce, unboiled lasagna noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, shredded Asiago, noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, a little more shredded Asiago, noodles and thinned down meat sauce. It's covered, and in the oven at 425F until it starts to bubble (about 15 minutes), then it'll go down to 350 for another hour. Then I'll take it out, uncover it, and put some sliced Provolone on top. It's being baked in this:
https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Cera.../dp/B01I559QOC
Then, I'll return it to the oven in a water bath, so as not to burn the bottom, and back up to 425 to brown the cheese. Then I'll take it out and rest it 15 minutes or so before serving. I bought a loaf of sliced real Italian bread, and we have decent olive oil and butter. Thanks again to whichever one of you recommended the Terre Delyssa brand olive oil.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 6:13:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> My mother always used cottage cheese, rather than ricotta, so I do that every so often. I browned a pound of very crumbled ground beef, and mixed in a jar of Mid's meat sauce I had in the pantry, and a good glug of olive oil. I layered meat sauce, unboiled lasagna noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, shredded Asiago, noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, a little more shredded Asiago, noodles and thinned down meat sauce. It's covered, and in the oven at 425F until it starts to bubble (about 15 minutes), then it'll go down to 350 for another hour. Then I'll take it out, uncover it, and put some sliced Provolone on top. It's being baked in this:
> https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Cera.../dp/B01I559QOC
> Then, I'll return it to the oven in a water bath, so as not to burn the bottom, and back up to 425 to brown the cheese. Then I'll take it out and rest it 15 minutes or so before serving. I bought a loaf of sliced real Italian bread, and we have decent olive oil and butter. Thanks again to whichever one of you recommended the Terre Delyssa brand olive oil.
>
> --Bryan

I have the exact thing in your amz link. I use it for deep fry wings. I like the recipe, similar to mine. I add shrooms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 5:33:17 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 6:13:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > My mother always used cottage cheese, rather than ricotta, so I do that every so often. I browned a pound of very crumbled ground beef, and mixed in a jar of Mid's meat sauce I had in the pantry, and a good glug of olive oil. I layered meat sauce, unboiled lasagna noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, shredded Asiago, noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, a little more shredded Asiago, noodles and thinned down meat sauce. It's covered, and in the oven at 425F until it starts to bubble (about 15 minutes), then it'll go down to 350 for another hour. Then I'll take it out, uncover it, and put some sliced Provolone on top. It's being baked in this:
> > https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Cera.../dp/B01I559QOC
> > Then, I'll return it to the oven in a water bath, so as not to burn the bottom, and back up to 425 to brown the cheese. Then I'll take it out and rest it 15 minutes or so before serving. I bought a loaf of sliced real Italian bread, and we have decent olive oil and butter. Thanks again to whichever one of you recommended the Terre Delyssa brand olive oil.
> >
> > --Bryan

> I have the exact thing in your amz link. I use it for deep fry wings. I like the recipe, similar to mine. I add shrooms.

My 18 YO son still lives with us, and he doesn't do mushrooms, but I agree that it would be
better with mushrooms, and perhaps a bit of spinach.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...57716319615662

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Cera...g-Steamer/dp/B
01I559QOC>

> Then, I'll return it to the oven in a water bath, so as not
> to burn the bottom, and back up to 425 to brown the cheese. Then
> I'll take it out and rest it 15 minutes or so before serving. I
> bought a loaf of sliced real Italian bread, and we have decent olive
> oil and butter. Thanks again to whichever one of you recommended the
> Terre Delyssa brand olive oil.
>
> --Bryan

I like that pot!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 4:04:25 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Bryan Simmons wrote:
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Cera...g-Steamer/dp/B
> 01I559QOC>
>
> I like that pot!

You can buy them almost anywhere. My Kroger has them, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and
most likely at Walmart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Cera...king-Steamer/d
> > p/B 01I559QOC>
> >
> > I like that pot!
> >

> You can buy them almost anywhere. My Kroger has them, Bed, Bath &
> Beyond, and most likely at Walmart.

Yeah, but I have oo many as it is. Had I found it earlier, I'd have
gotten it along the way of life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
wrote:

I recently read about a new way (new to me) for cooking lasagna, I
will try it soon... seems very easy, no lasagna pasta to mess with, my
least favorite part of making lasagna. Layer frozen raviolis (any
filling you like) in a roasting pan with cheeses and sauce and bake...
no need to thaw. I bet Gary will be the first to try it and report
back.
I bet it will work with frozen pierogies too; Mrs Ts, searched and
found this:
https://www.mrstsfoodservice.com/?s=lasagna
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> I recently read about a new way (new to me) for cooking lasagna, I
> will try it soon... seems very easy, no lasagna pasta to mess with, my
> least favorite part of making lasagna. Layer frozen raviolis (any
> filling you like) in a roasting pan with cheeses and sauce and bake...
> no need to thaw. I bet Gary will be the first to try it and report
> back.
> I bet it will work with frozen pierogies too; Mrs Ts, searched and
> found this:
> https://www.mrstsfoodservice.com/?s=lasagna

Hmmm...may give it a whirl...thanks!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 11:47:08 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
>
> I recently read about a new way (new to me) for cooking lasagna, I
> will try it soon... seems very easy, no lasagna pasta to mess with, my
> least favorite part of making lasagna. Layer frozen raviolis (any
> filling you like) in a roasting pan with cheeses and sauce and bake...
> no need to thaw. I bet Gary will be the first to try it and report
> back.

Lasagna is ok, I can take it or leave it and I'd rather leave it.

> I bet it will work with frozen pierogies too; Mrs Ts, searched and
> found this:

Now there is something I always leave.

> https://www.mrstsfoodservice.com/?s=lasagna

🤢
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:28:41 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:33:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > > I bet it will work with frozen pierogies too; Mrs Ts, searched and
> > > found this:
> > >

> > Now there is something I always leave.
> >

> I think we've had this conversation before. I've never met a frozen pierogi that
> was worth eating, but when made by someone who really knows what they're
> doing, they're delicious. Potato filling is, I suppose, ok for someone who
> works at manual labor and doesn't have much money. I prefer cabbage,
> sauerkraut, mushroom, pork, or even prune (for dessert). I was fortunate
> enough to grow up near a sizeable Polish-American community.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'm pretty sure we have. The only pierogis I've had were the potato version and
what a disappointment. Everybody raved how wonderful, stupendous, lip-smacking,
drool worthy the ones that I was sent to buy were. (Be sure you ask for the potato
version!) What a treat lay in store for me, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven,
swoon worthy, yada-yada-yada. Good grief, someone's leftover mashed potatoes
and I'm supposed to chow down on this dough pie and it should be smothered in ketchup??

Now I understand why there were always so many Polish jokes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-10 2:28 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:33:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 11:47:08 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>> On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently read about a new way (new to me) for cooking lasagna, I
>>> will try it soon... seems very easy, no lasagna pasta to mess with, my
>>> least favorite part of making lasagna. Layer frozen raviolis (any
>>> filling you like) in a roasting pan with cheeses and sauce and bake...
>>> no need to thaw. I bet Gary will be the first to try it and report
>>> back.
>>>

>> Lasagna is ok, I can take it or leave it and I'd rather leave it.

I like it once in a while, but as part of a multi course dinner, not as
an entree.

>>> I bet it will work with frozen pierogies too; Mrs Ts, searched and
>>> found this:
>>>

>> Now there is something I always leave.
>>

> I think we've had this conversation before. I've never met a frozen pierogi that
> was worth eating, but when made by someone who really knows what they're
> doing, they're delicious.

We used to get them occasionally at a Ukrainian church. They were
delicious. A neibour is Polish/Ukrainian and she makes them by the
hundreds for parties. They are great. I think the best were made by the
mother of a friend of mine. His father was Polish and his mother was
from Newfoundland. She made incredible pergoies, sometimes stuffed with
saurkraut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Now there is something I always leave.
>>>

>> I think we've had this conversation before. I've never met a frozen pierogi that
>> was worth eating, but when made by someone who really knows what they're
>> doing, they're delicious. Potato filling is, I suppose, ok for someone who
>> works at manual labor and doesn't have much money. I prefer cabbage,
>> sauerkraut, mushroom, pork, or even prune (for dessert). I was fortunate
>> enough to grow up near a sizeable Polish-American community.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I'm pretty sure we have. The only pierogis I've had were the potato version and
> what a disappointment. Everybody raved how wonderful, stupendous, lip-smacking,
> drool worthy the ones that I was sent to buy were. (Be sure you ask for the potato
> version!) What a treat lay in store for me, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven,
> swoon worthy, yada-yada-yada. Good grief, someone's leftover mashed potatoes
> and I'm supposed to chow down on this dough pie and it should be smothered in ketchup??
>
> Now I understand why there were always so many Polish jokes.

My ex father-in-law had a hillarious poster he showed me in
nebraska almost 50 years ago. It was captioned "Two Polaks shooting
craps". Lots of polish in nebraska back then, and most were OK people.

There was two guys in full western cowboy regalia, chaps, spurs,
etc. blazing away with Six-guns pointed into a toilet ... They were
shooting craps.

A lot of these old jokes were started by the Poles themselves. They
had a good sense of humor. They were good people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 5:13:49 PM UTC-5, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> My mother always used cottage cheese, rather than ricotta, so I do that every so often...

I have my Mother's Lasagna recipe which took her all day just to make the sauce. My mother was a very good "cooker".

I miss here terribly and when I hear about some of the great therapeutic Psychedelics research which was done and is currently being done it just serves to confirm what I thought way back when when I took LSD recreationally which was that if she COULD have experienced some of the psychedelic wonders I experienced if they could have helped her. For example in the 1950's LSD therapy had one of the highest recidivism rates of any therapies ever tried!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 5:24:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > Now there is something I always leave.
> > >

> > I think we've had this conversation before. I've never met a frozen pierogi that
> > was worth eating, but when made by someone who really knows what they're
> > doing, they're delicious. Potato filling is, I suppose, ok for someone who
> > works at manual labor and doesn't have much money. I prefer cabbage,
> > sauerkraut, mushroom, pork, or even prune (for dessert). I was fortunate
> > enough to grow up near a sizeable Polish-American community.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I'm pretty sure we have. The only pierogis I've had were the potato version and
> what a disappointment. Everybody raved how wonderful, stupendous, lip-smacking,
> drool worthy the ones that I was sent to buy were. (Be sure you ask for the potato
> version!) What a treat lay in store for me, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven,
> swoon worthy, yada-yada-yada. Good grief, someone's leftover mashed potatoes
> and I'm supposed to chow down on this dough pie and it should be smothered in ketchup??
>
> Now I understand why there were always so many Polish jokes.

"Everybody" who recommended potato pierogi to you know very little about pierogi.

I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
one of them, and neither are you.

Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
tastes like something?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> I recently read about a new way (new to me) for cooking lasagna, I
> will try it soon... seems very easy, no lasagna pasta to mess with, my
> least favorite part of making lasagna. Layer frozen raviolis (any
> filling you like) in a roasting pan with cheeses and sauce and bake...
> no need to thaw. I bet Gary will be the first to try it and report
> back.

I'll bet you Gary will NOT be the first to try it.
I like my old way. I have no problem with lasagna noodles and
I cook them first. Won't use dry ones.

I love homemade lasagna. My only hold up is cooking a large
batch of red sauce with ground beef and seasonings. That has
to be done beforehand.

Once you have a good sauce, assembling a lasagna is no problem.
My recipe always fills a 9X13 baking dish with enough leftover
to fill a bread dish.

I bake the large dish right away and freeze the bread dish
for the future.

A few times, I've substituted zucchini sliced length wise
and thick for the pasta. A very good substitute.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 5:24:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > I think we've had this conversation before. I've never met a frozen pierogi that
>> > was worth eating, but when made by someone who really knows what they're
>> > doing, they're delicious. Potato filling is, I suppose, ok for someone who
>> > works at manual labor and doesn't have much money. I prefer cabbage,
>> > sauerkraut, mushroom, pork, or even prune (for dessert). I was fortunate
>> > enough to grow up near a sizeable Polish-American community.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> I'm pretty sure we have. The only pierogis I've had were the potato version and
>> what a disappointment. Everybody raved how wonderful, stupendous, lip-smacking,
>> drool worthy the ones that I was sent to buy were. (Be sure you ask for the potato
>> version!) What a treat lay in store for me, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven,
>> swoon worthy, yada-yada-yada. Good grief, someone's leftover mashed potatoes
>> and I'm supposed to chow down on this dough pie and it should be smothered in ketchup??
>>
>> Now I understand why there were always so many Polish jokes.

>"Everybody" who recommended potato pierogi to you know very little about pierogi.
>
>I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
>one of them, and neither are you.
>
>Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
>tastes like something?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.

I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> I like my old way. I have no problem with lasagna noodles and
> I cook them first. Won't use dry ones.

we've been using those for years now and are ok
with them, i really don't notice the difference
by the time all the sauce, cheeses, meats, spices
etc are all done.

> I love homemade lasagna. My only hold up is cooking a large
> batch of red sauce with ground beef and seasonings. That has
> to be done beforehand.
>
> Once you have a good sauce, assembling a lasagna is no problem.
> My recipe always fills a 9X13 baking dish with enough leftover
> to fill a bread dish.

we usually do a half dozen large pans at a time
and freeze a few for future eating.

i could happily eat lasagna every day for weeks.
we don't make it often enough and it's not in the
fridge for long. cold for breakfast, hot for
dinner.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 8:20:17 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > I recently read about a new way (new to me) for cooking lasagna, I
> > will try it soon... seems very easy, no lasagna pasta to mess with, my
> > least favorite part of making lasagna. Layer frozen raviolis (any
> > filling you like) in a roasting pan with cheeses and sauce and bake...
> > no need to thaw. I bet Gary will be the first to try it and report
> > back.

> I'll bet you Gary will NOT be the first to try it.
> I like my old way. I have no problem with lasagna noodles and
> I cook them first. Won't use dry ones.
>
> I love homemade lasagna. My only hold up is cooking a large
> batch of red sauce with ground beef and seasonings. That has
> to be done beforehand.

My husband's lasagne recipe came without ground beef. IIRC he
layers in sliced hot Italian sausage.

> Once you have a good sauce, assembling a lasagna is no problem.
> My recipe always fills a 9X13 baking dish with enough leftover
> to fill a bread dish.

That's hardly enough to bother. We usually fill a 16x13x5 roasting
pan.

OTOH, we haven't made lasagne in years and years. Too much fat
and carbs.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 5:24:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > I think we've had this conversation before. I've never met a frozen pierogi that
>> > was worth eating, but when made by someone who really knows what they're
>> > doing, they're delicious. Potato filling is, I suppose, ok for someone who
>> > works at manual labor and doesn't have much money. I prefer cabbage,
>> > sauerkraut, mushroom, pork, or even prune (for dessert). I was fortunate
>> > enough to grow up near a sizeable Polish-American community.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> I'm pretty sure we have. The only pierogis I've had were the potato version and
>> what a disappointment. Everybody raved how wonderful, stupendous, lip-smacking,
>> drool worthy the ones that I was sent to buy were. (Be sure you ask for the potato
>> version!) What a treat lay in store for me, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven,
>> swoon worthy, yada-yada-yada. Good grief, someone's leftover mashed potatoes
>> and I'm supposed to chow down on this dough pie and it should be smothered in ketchup??
>>
>> Now I understand why there were always so many Polish jokes.

>"Everybody" who recommended potato pierogi to you know very little about pierogi.
>
>I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
>one of them, and neither are you.
>
>Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
>tastes like something?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I like the little dough filled pies from whatever nationality created
them. So many to choose from.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
> like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
> whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

Mashed potatoes should be hand mashed. Not necessarily lumpy
though.

One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:10:36 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
> > like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
> > whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

> Mashed potatoes should be hand mashed. Not necessarily lumpy
> though.
>
> One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
> Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.

Whipped potatoes require restraint. We've made them many times
without creating glue.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2020 10:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:10:36 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
>>> like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
>>> whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

>> Mashed potatoes should be hand mashed. Not necessarily lumpy
>> though.
>>
>> One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
>> Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.

> Whipped potatoes require restraint. We've made them many times
> without creating glue.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Agree. Hand mashing for hundreds is not the way to go either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 10/11/2020 10:11 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Mashed potatoes should be hand mashed. Not necessarily lumpy
> >> though.
> >>
> >> One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
> >> Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.

> > Whipped potatoes require restraint. We've made them many times
> > without creating glue.

Yes. It was my first time. You were probably born knowing
everything. Not all of us are so lucky.

> Agree. Hand mashing for hundreds is not the way to go either.

lol You must be a member of Menza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2020 10:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Whipped potatoes require restraint. We've made them many times
>>> without creating glue.

> Yes. It was my first time. You were probably born knowing
> everything. Not all of us are so lucky.
>
>> Agree. Hand mashing for hundreds is not the way to go either.

> lol You must be a member of Menza.

Did you think you saw me at one of your meetings? I wasn't there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure we have. The only pierogis I've had were the potato version and
>>> what a disappointment. Everybody raved how wonderful, stupendous, lip-smacking,
>>> drool worthy the ones that I was sent to buy were. (Be sure you ask for the potato
>>> version!) What a treat lay in store for me, I'll think I've died and gone to heaven,
>>> swoon worthy, yada-yada-yada. Good grief, someone's leftover mashed potatoes
>>> and I'm supposed to chow down on this dough pie and it should be smothered in ketchup??
>>>
>>> Now I understand why there were always so many Polish jokes.

>> "Everybody" who recommended potato pierogi to you know very little about pierogi.
>>
>> I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
>> one of them, and neither are you.
>>
>> Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
>> tastes like something?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.
>
> I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
> like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
> whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

Plugs up yoose ass Popeye?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-11 1:11 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:10:36 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
>>> like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
>>> whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

>> Mashed potatoes should be hand mashed. Not necessarily lumpy
>> though.
>>
>> One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
>> Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.

> Whipped potatoes require restraint. We've made them many times
> without creating glue.

I like them lumpy and with potatoes that are properly cooked. I don't
like the potatoes to be cooked to the point of mush and then whipping
them into baby food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-11 1:50 p.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 10/11/2020 10:41 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> Yes. It was my first time. You were probably born knowing
>> everything. Not all of us are so lucky.
>>
>>> Agree.Â* Hand mashing for hundreds is not the way to go either.

>> lolÂ* You must be a member of Menza.
>>

> Did you think you saw me at one of your meetings?Â* I wasn't there.

He would not have been there either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 6:32:02 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
> one of them, and neither are you.
>
> Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
> tastes like something?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Sadly, the only ravioli I've ever eaten is the Chef Boyardee stuff but I do love the
potstickers at one of the Chinese places I frequent. The other Chinese place has
great food but their potstickers are just awful so when I go there I steer clear of
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 7:28:25 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.

I haven't a clue what that is.

> I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
> like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
> whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

I cannot stand lumpy mashed potatoes. If you cannot take the time to
get the lumps out you shouldn't even bother to dirty a pan. Mine are
smooth, creamy, and absolutely nothing like glue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 11:10:36 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
> Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.

That's because you didn't stop when the lumps were gone. And if
they should turn to glue you did not add enough milk/cream and
butter. When I drain the cooked potatoes I also do not drain the
potatoes completely. There's a bit of flavor in that potato water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:11:15 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 12:10:36 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> >
> > One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
> > Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.
> >

> Whipped potatoes require restraint. We've made them many times
> without creating glue.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thank you.

I can honestly say I've yet to create a pan of "potato glue."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 08:28:18 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>"Everybody" who recommended potato pierogi to you know very little about pierogi.
>>
>>I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
>>one of them, and neither are you.
>>
>>Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
>>tastes like something?
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.

Kosher?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2020 12:11 PM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> I generally decline other peoples mashed potatoes, looks and tastes
>> like library paste. Mashed potatoes needs to be lumpy otherwise it's
>> whipped potatoes, typically over whipped so that it becomes glue.

> Mashed potatoes should be hand mashed. Not necessarily lumpy
> though.
>
> One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
> Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.

Same here, nasty. I don't mind a lump or two so I use the hand masher.
OTOH, we have a friend that makes the best mashed ever and uses a mixer.
Light and fluffy, I always looked forward to them when we'd join them
for dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 3:39:21 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> we have a friend that makes the best mashed ever and uses a mixer.
> Light and fluffy.

Easy-peasy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 08:28:18 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "Everybody" who recommended potato pierogi to you know very little about pierogi.
>>>
>>> I'm sure there are people who like mashed potato wrapped in dough. I'm just not
>>> one of them, and neither are you.
>>>
>>> Do you like ravioli, potstickers, or other dumplings filled with stuff that actually
>>> tastes like something?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.

> Kosher?

Natch!

Brooklyn's finest, served by gals with enormous titties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Same here, nasty. I don't mind a lump or two so I use the hand masher.
> OTOH, we have a friend that makes the best mashed ever and uses a mixer.
> Light and fluffy, I always looked forward to them when we'd join them
> for dinner.

anyone use a ricer? i think that would help the over
whipping problem.

we had one when i was a kid but i have no idea where
it ended up.

songbird