Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lasagna tonight

On 10/11/2020 7:39 PM, songbird wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Same here, nasty. I don't mind a lump or two so I use the hand masher.
>> OTOH, we have a friend that makes the best mashed ever and uses a mixer.
>> Light and fluffy, I always looked forward to them when we'd join them
>> for dinner.

> anyone use a ricer? i think that would help the over
> whipping problem.
>
> we had one when i was a kid but i have no idea where
> it ended up.
>

> songbird

We had one and yes, it works. I've not seen it in ages and it did not
survive the move. I don't make enough mashed to bother looking for
another.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >
> > One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
> > Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.
> >

> That's because you didn't stop when the lumps were gone. And if
> they should turn to glue you did not add enough milk/cream and
> butter. When I drain the cooked potatoes I also do not drain the
> potatoes completely. There's a bit of flavor in that potato water.

Sounds right. That was 30 years ago and I had never used a
mixer for mashed potatoes before. Live and learn.

I'm fine with a hand masher. Not the old squiggly kind but
the one with the small squares. No lumps in that.

When I microwave potatoes, I like the half mashed, half
lumpy and cross cut those several times with knife and
fork (or large spoon).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Same here, nasty. I don't mind a lump or two so I use the hand masher.
> > OTOH, we have a friend that makes the best mashed ever and uses a mixer.
> > Light and fluffy, I always looked forward to them when we'd join them
> > for dinner.

> anyone use a ricer? i think that would help the over
> whipping problem.

I had one many years ago but rarely used it so I gave it to my
daughter when she had her first child. They are especially good
for making homemade baby food - when they are first learning
to eat with little or no teeth yet.

I use a hand masher with the little squares on the bottom.
No lumps with that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > Same here, nasty. I don't mind a lump or two so I use the hand masher.
>> > OTOH, we have a friend that makes the best mashed ever and uses a mixer.
>> > Light and fluffy, I always looked forward to them when we'd join them
>> > for dinner.

>> anyone use a ricer? i think that would help the over
>> whipping problem.

> I had one many years ago but rarely used it so I gave it to my
> daughter when she had her first child. They are especially good
> for making homemade baby food - when they are first learning
> to eat with little or no teeth yet.
>
> I use a hand masher with the little squares on the bottom.
> No lumps with that one.

i may get one for the future as Mom says i have to
feed her mashed up peas and peaches and such... j/k
but i've really wanted to get one so eventually i will
just not sure when.

i'm not much into food gadgets in general though but
i do like non-lumpy potatoes and i do also like sweet
potatoes and to me this would be an interesting texture
change just to have some fun once in a while and also
because i think it would be a faster way of mashing
some other cooked items and probably a faster way of
juicing some tomatoes. the food mill takes some time
and still leaves a lot of stuff behind that would be
nice to get more juice out of them (without having to
get some electric gizmo). will have to keep my eyes
open for a good sized and well made ricer. the food
mill wasn't well made, the handle fell off not too
long after we bought it but i managed to find a way
to use it in spite of that problem so didn't bother
to take it back.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> i do also like sweet potatoes

One of my favorite vegetables. Here in the mid-Atlantic
area, they should be coming soon at a very good price.
It's about harvest time here.

I generally simmer them to done, then peel off the skin
and add butter plus S&P.

I also like sweet potato pies vs pumpkin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 05:40:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

" wrote:

>> Gary wrote:
>> >
>> > One time only, I whipped cooked potatoes using a hand mixer.
>> > Like you said, like paste/glue and not good at all.
>> >

>> That's because you didn't stop when the lumps were gone. And if
>> they should turn to glue you did not add enough milk/cream and
>> butter. When I drain the cooked potatoes I also do not drain the
>> potatoes completely. There's a bit of flavor in that potato water.

>Sounds right. That was 30 years ago and I had never used a
>mixer for mashed potatoes before. Live and learn.
>
>I'm fine with a hand masher. Not the old squiggly kind but
>the one with the small squares. No lumps in that.

That's the kind I use, made by Ekco, only it's very rarely used to
mash spuds, I use it often for making refried black beans, mashed in
the pan from fried pork chops.
When we want mashed spuds they're pared, quartered, and boiled but
served whole directly from the boiled water, we each mash our own with
a dinner fork... some lumps are fine. My wife likes hers with butter,
I like mine with sour cream, plain yogurt, or chicken schmaltz if
available... but usually there is as I make those boiled potatoes to
go with a large roasting chicken so there's plenty of drippings...
sometimes the pared spuds are roasted with the chicken and we each
take how much we want to mash with drippings.

>When I microwave potatoes, I like the half mashed, half
>lumpy and cross cut those several times with knife and
>fork (or large spoon).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:

>> i do also like sweet potatoes

> One of my favorite vegetables. Here in the mid-Atlantic
> area, they should be coming soon at a very good price.
> It's about harvest time here.
>
> I generally simmer them to done, then peel off the skin
> and add butter plus S&P.
>
> I also like sweet potato pies vs pumpkin.

they're close enough to the same to me that i'd likely
not notice unless someone said something.

as for sweet potatoes, we normally just nuke them until
done and if the skin is clean enough i'll eat most of it
too. butter almost always. nothing else really needed
as they are sweet enough.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 09:25:17 -0400, songbird wrote:

> I do like non-lumpy potatoes and i do also like sweet
> potatoes and to me this would be an interesting texture
> change just to have some fun once in a while

We often mash potatoes, sweet p, carrot, parsnip &
sometimes rutabaga together. My wife even uses that
as a substitute for potatoes in her version of
"paté chinois" (the Quebec version of sheppard's pie:
(bottom to top):

- onions & ground beef cooked into a meaty gravy
- cream-style corn straight from the Fiendly Giant
- the a/n mashed root vegetables
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 19:24:57 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 09:25:17 -0400, songbird wrote:
>
>> I do like non-lumpy potatoes and i do also like sweet
>> potatoes and to me this would be an interesting texture
>> change just to have some fun once in a while

> We often mash potatoes, sweet p, carrot, parsnip &
> sometimes rutabaga together. My wife even uses that
> as a substitute for potatoes in her version of
> "paté chinois" (the Quebec version of sheppard's pie:
> (bottom to top):

During the winter months when people caught colds, my Grandmother would put
an onion in with the taters before boiling them and then mash them
together. She believed that onions were a good remedy for colds and flu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2020 9:25 AM, songbird wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> anyone use a ricer? i think that would help the over
>>> whipping problem.

>> I had one many years ago but rarely used it so I gave it to my
>> daughter when she had her first child. They are especially good
>> for making homemade baby food - when they are first learning
>> to eat with little or no teeth yet.
>>
>> I use a hand masher with the little squares on the bottom.
>> No lumps with that one.

> i may get one for the future as Mom says i have to
> feed her mashed up peas and peaches and such... j/k
> but i've really wanted to get one so eventually i will
> just not sure when.
>
> i'm not much into food gadgets in general though but
> i do like non-lumpy potatoes and i do also like sweet
> potatoes and to me this would be an interesting texture
> change

(snippage)

> songbird

Peeled and boiled russet or red skinned potatoes mashed with peeled
boiled sweet potatoes are what I know as "Harvest mashed potatoes". A
friend used to serve them at Thanksgiving. Quite nice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2020 8:28 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.

When was the last time you did? I've seen Mrs. T's frozen pierogies.
Potato filled. Not interested, didn't buy them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 19:44:22 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 10/11/2020 8:28 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> You likely have never eaten a good NYC k'nish.
>>

>When was the last time you did?

I have good NYC food whenever visiters come up here to the boonies,
and they know that I much prefer kasha k'nishes. Potato is good too
but I like kasha better. I can make my own but it hardly pays to go
through all the work to make a few. I make kasha often but it's the
eggy dough wrapper that takes time... I make a huge batch of kasha for
thanksgiving, we prefer it to stuffing. I always have a few boxes of
buckwheat in the pantry, I've got two boxes now. I can buy Wolfs
buckwheat groats here but they charge double and that's even though
it's grown in upstate NY, the Finger Lakes area is the buckwheat
capital of the US. Every Thanksgiving I make a huge amount of Kasha
Varnishkas to go with the turkey. Kasha varnishka is kasha with
bowtie pasta with lots of 'shrooms. I'n sure you must've seen these
pictures, I've posted them befo
https://postimg.cc/gallery/cwmwdG3
My wife loves kasha, and even though I sneak in some finely minced
onion. Excellent with gravy made from the turkey drippings... I think
she polishes off more than me. Kasha/whole grain buckwheat is very
healthful... the veggie people should know that buckwheat contains
the closest nutrition to meat of any vegetable, contains all the amino
acids but one... anyone claims to be vegetarian is a LIAR, humans must
eat some meat to live. On Lung Guyland my next door neighbors were
Asian, they claimed to be vegetarian. One day I spotted their car
parked in a shopping center some ten miles from where we lived, there
they were hunkered down munching on Oscar Meyer bologna. Sicko
*******s... ALL vegetarians are sicko LYING *******s. Didja know that
even grazing critters eat meat, along with the plants they consume a
lot of insects.