Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Veal chops last night

On 10/9/2020 9:05 PM, Graham wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:56:27 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Sorry, like red. Like I said, low meat eaters but like rare. Nothing
>>> wrong with the dish, I'd have just pulled it a little earlier here.
>>>

>> It's all good; wasn't a criticism. I go for medium rare and often closer
>> to rare. Still, Ed's pic of those veal chops didn't look overdone to
>> me. I need to look for and hopefully find nice thick veal chops like
>> that. If the weather would cool down (it's still in the mid-80's and
>> rather humid here) I might actually use my charcoal grill to cook them.
>> I don't have an infrared anything, but Ed does.
>>
>> Jill

> I saw a poster in a UK butcher's shop extolling the virtues of rosy veal.
> That is meat from a calf that wasn't anaemic or had been bled to death to
> produce such pale meat.

Sorry, I've never shopped for veal in the UK. I don't know if Ed has,
either. I buy what is available and tend to enjoy it. What I can
buy is not the same darker red as meat cut from a full grown cow.

I have a fond memory of buying veal scallops to make veal piccata for
my parents when I came for a visit in the 1990's. Mom and I went to the
grocery store and I was actually surprised to see veal scallops, given
there are no cattle ranches on these sea islands. Heh. That meal turned
out very well, BTW. But yes, the veal was pale. Fast forward to 2020,
so is the thinly sliced veal I have in the freezer. I'm thinking weiner
schniztel very soon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 10/9/2020 7:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > They didn't look overcooked to me, either.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Sorry, like red. Like I said, low meat eaters but like rare.
> > Nothing wrong with the dish, I'd have just pulled it a little
> > earlier here.
> >

> But veal is not red. Starts out about the same color as pork. It
> was 115 degrees from the grill. Rare is 120 to 130.
>
> If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you will see there is very
> little color difference from outside to center. Seared at a very hot
> temperature on an infrared burner at 1800 degrees the outer 1/8 or so
> will cooked more.
>
> But you could have it raw if you like.

Smile, if it's universally pink, I think we just skip but thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/9/2020 7:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > They didn't look overcooked to me, either.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Sorry, like red. Like I said, low meat eaters but like rare.
> > Nothing wrong with the dish, I'd have just pulled it a little
> > earlier here.
> >

> It's all good; wasn't a criticism. I go for medium rare and often
> closer to rare. Still, Ed's pic of those veal chops didn't look
> overdone to me. I need to look for and hopefully find nice thick
> veal chops like that. If the weather would cool down (it's still in
> the mid-80's and rather humid here) I might actually use my charcoal
> grill to cook them. I don't have an infrared anything, but Ed does.
>
> Jill

It's ok! He says they are pink anyways. Since we don't eat a lot of
meat, we'll go for one that is red as it appeals more here. No harm,
no foul.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:49:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 8:32:45 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> > > Why not? Worried about velociraptors?
> > >
> > > Our front door has a thumb latch and our back door is a sliding
> > > patio door. But the door that leads from the kitchen to the
> > > three-season room where the patio door is has an "old folks"
> > > knob. But if we didn't have the three-season room we'd still have
> > > the lever knob. It's great for actuating with your elbow when
> > > your hands are full.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Our condo would not allow it but besides that, it doesn't feel
> > appropriate. Mostly, it's an institutional type of door knob.

> The Federal *Americans With Disabilities Act* takes precedence over
> your condo assn rules.
>
> --Bryan

Yes and no. They can only require a certain percentage be
accomodatable and even then, it has to have a certain number of
apartments to fall under that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> If the weather would cool down (it's still in the mid-80's and
> rather humid here) I might actually use my charcoal grill to cook them.

ha ha Once again, the traditional Jill excuse for not using
her charcoal grill. Have you *ever* used the darn thing?

Just teasing but you seem not to realize just how often you
say that. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I've got a Weber kettle charcoal grill. Hey, it
> works.

maybe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:51:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/9/2020 7:45 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> They didn't look overcooked to me, either.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Sorry, like red. Like I said, low meat eaters but like rare. Nothing
>> wrong with the dish, I'd have just pulled it a little earlier here.
>>

>But veal is not red. Starts out about the same color as pork. It was
>115 degrees from the grill. Rare is 120 to 130.
>
>If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you will see there is very
>little color difference from outside to center. Seared at a very hot
>temperature on an infrared burner at 1800 degrees the outer 1/8 or so
>will cooked more.
>
>But you could have it raw if you like.

As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
breast-O. Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
Back then veal was very common in butcher shops. My favorite was home
ground veal burgers. My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
veal chops. We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet. People
actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
thermometers. The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
our butts.

Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
veal is it's not easy to find.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2020 12:07 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
> breast-O. Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
> cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
> Back then veal was very common in butcher shops. My favorite was home
> ground veal burgers. My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
> and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
> veal chops. We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet. People
> actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
> thermometers. The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
> our butts.
>
> Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
> veal is it's not easy to find.

An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
$23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-10-10 12:59 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/10/2020 12:07 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
>> breast-O.Â* Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
>> cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
>> Back then veal was very common in butcher shops.Â* My favorite was home
>> ground veal burgers.Â* My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
>> and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
>> veal chops.Â* We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet.Â* People
>> actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
>> thermometers.Â* The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
>> our butts.
>>
>> Â*Â* Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
>> veal is it's not easy to find.
>>

> An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
> chops at a time in the meat case.Â* Imagine they don't move fast at
> $23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
> https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

We have a large Italian population here and veal is pretty common in
most grocery stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:59:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/10/2020 12:07 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
>> breast-O. Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
>> cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
>> Back then veal was very common in butcher shops. My favorite was home
>> ground veal burgers. My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
>> and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
>> veal chops. We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet. People
>> actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
>> thermometers. The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
>> our butts.
>>
>> Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
>> veal is it's not easy to find.
>>

>An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
>chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
>$23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
>https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
they serve pork as veal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 18:03:12 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:59:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 10/10/2020 12:07 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
>>> breast-O. Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
>>> cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
>>> Back then veal was very common in butcher shops. My favorite was home
>>> ground veal burgers. My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
>>> and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
>>> veal chops. We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet. People
>>> actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
>>> thermometers. The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
>>> our butts.
>>>
>>> Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
>>> veal is it's not easy to find.
>>>

>>An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
>>chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
>>$23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
>>https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

>When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
>store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
>they serve pork as veal.

lol, yeah right
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 5:30:13 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 18:03:12 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
> >When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
> >store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
> >they serve pork as veal.
> >

> lol, yeah right

I don't know about pork being served as veal but yes, veal was quite
cheap when I was a young whipper snapper. Grocery stores used to
have sales at least twice a month.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:59:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/2020 12:07 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>>> As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
>>> breast-O. Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
>>> cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
>>> Back then veal was very common in butcher shops. My favorite was home
>>> ground veal burgers. My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
>>> and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
>>> veal chops. We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet. People
>>> actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
>>> thermometers. The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
>>> our butts.
>>>
>>> Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
>>> veal is it's not easy to find.
>>>

>> An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
>> chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
>> $23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
>> https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

> When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
> store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
> they serve pork as veal.

Popeye, yoose have to go to a jewish deli to get yoose veal!

ASK FOR THE SPECIAL KOSHER BLESSED STUFF.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 18:03:12 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:

>>> An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
>>> chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
>>> $23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
>>> https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

>> When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
>> store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
>> they serve pork as veal.

> lol, yeah right

It's true! Back then, when they ran out of plastic toys, they put
one carat diamonds in boxes of cracker jacks in brooklyn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:15:26 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 5:30:13 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 18:03:12 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
>> >store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
>> >they serve pork as veal.
>> >

>> lol, yeah right
>>

>I don't know about pork being served as veal but yes, veal was quite
>cheap when I was a young whipper snapper. Grocery stores used to
>have sales at least twice a month.

I think that Italian restaurants that serve pork as veal will be
closed down pretty fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 12:08:07 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:15:26 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 5:30:13 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>>> lol, yeah right
>>>

>>I don't know about pork being served as veal but yes, veal was quite
>>cheap when I was a young whipper snapper. Grocery stores used to
>>have sales at least twice a month.

>I think that Italian restaurants that serve pork as veal will be
>closed down pretty fast.

Imagine going there will all your Muslim friends
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 6:03:24 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:59:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 10/10/2020 12:07 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> >> As a youngster my mom served veal very often, chops, roasts, even
> >> breast-O. Colorwise veal is very different from beef... properly
> >> cooked veal should be pink and exude clear juices, not bloody red.
> >> Back then veal was very common in butcher shops. My favorite was home
> >> ground veal burgers. My mom would coat the burgers with beated egg
> >> and then coat them with seasoned matzo meal... she did the same with
> >> veal chops. We had no grill. everything cooked in a skillet. People
> >> actually learned to cook without newfangled gizmos like meat
> >> thermometers. The only meat our mom checked with a thermometer was
> >> our butts.
> >>
> >> Over cooked veal becomes tough, nowadays the only thing rare about
> >> veal is it's not easy to find.
> >>

> >An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
> >chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
> >$23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
> >https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

> When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
> store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
> they serve pork as veal.

Only cheap Italian restaurants. The discerning diner can tell when it's
real veal, even in veal Parmesan.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 6:03:24 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>> >An good Italian store in St.Petersburg carries it and the only put a few
>> >chops at a time in the meat case. Imagine they don't move fast at
>> >$23.99 a pound but a few times a year I grab them. Nice treat.
>> >https://www.mazzarosmarket.com/

>> When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
>> store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
>> they serve pork as veal.

>Only cheap Italian restaurants. The discerning diner can tell when it's
>real veal, even in veal Parmesan.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Not just the cheap Italian restaurants, could be any price range...
and typically used for the veal parm, I suppose because it's sinful to
pound good veal, saute it, and cover it with all that cheese and
sauce. Most people can't tell that it's cutlets of boneless pork
loin... I usually buy whole boneless pork loins when on sale for under
$2/lb. I turn one into three 4lb roasts, and tie them with butcher's
twine. Sometimes I'll slice off a few thin cutlets to make parm only
I don't pound them, pounding any meat is sinful... only done by those
who haven't the cutlery skills to carve thin cutlets, as in most all
Food TV so called chefs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 7:41:05 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> When I was young veal was one of the least expensive meats at the
> >> store, now veal is quite pricey. Nowadays Italian restaurants cheat,
> >> they serve pork as veal.

> >Only cheap Italian restaurants. The discerning diner can tell when it's
> >real veal, even in veal Parmesan.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Not just the cheap Italian restaurants, could be any price range...

Could be, but isn't. My favorite Italian restaurant uses real veal. I don't
order veal parm; always veal piccata or veal with mushrooms.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 05:02:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 7:41:05 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 04:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Only cheap Italian restaurants. The discerning diner can tell when it's
>> >real veal, even in veal Parmesan.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> Not just the cheap Italian restaurants, could be any price range...

>Could be, but isn't. My favorite Italian restaurant uses real veal. I don't
>order veal parm; always veal piccata or veal with mushrooms.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Ok, so you're special. Could just as likely be pork piccata or pork
with mushrooms... most Italian restaurants know how to prepare pork to
look and taste like veal, especially piccata or with a 'shroom
sauce... the more ingredients the easier it is to hide the identity of
a small piece of meat, especially if pounded.
If you want to know that it's veal order veal chops, or breast of
veal, or...
Teliatyna z Pidlyvoiu Iz Ikry (Braised Veal With Caviar Sauce).

To serve 6 to 8.

3 tablespoons of butter.
1 cup of thinly sliced onions.
1 carrot, scraped and cut into 1/ 2 inch rounds.
4 sprigs of parsley.
2 stalks of celery with their leaves, cut into 2-inch lengths.
3 bay leaves.
3 whole cloves.
1 tablespoon of finely chopped lemon peel.
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
3 1/ 2 to 4-pounds of boneless veal, cut from either the leg
or the rump and securely tied.
1 cup of dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc).
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of potato starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold water.
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) black caviar.
1/8 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.

In a heavy 6-quart casserole, melt the butter over high heat.
Add the onions, carrot, parsley, celery, bay leaves, cloves and
lemon peel and cover the pan. Lower the heat and simmer for
about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft but not brown.
Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 325° F. In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet,
heat the 3 tablespoons of oil over high heat until a light haze
forms above it. Add the veal and brown for 8 to 10 minutes,
turning it every 2 or 3 minutes so that it browns evenly on all
sides. Then place it on top of the vegetables in the casserole
and pour in the wine. Bring to a boil over high heat, sprinkle the
meat liberally with salt and a few grindings of black pepper and
cover the casserole tightly. Braise in the center of the oven
for 1 1/ 4 hours, turning the veal over after 45 minutes.

When the veal is tender, transfer it to a heated platter, cut
away the strings and carve the meat into 1/ 4 inch-thick slices.
Arrange them, slightly overlapping, down the center of a large
platter and cover the platter loosely with foil to keep the meat
warm while you make the sauce.

Quickly strain the entire contents of the casserole through a fine
sieve into a bowl, pressing down hard on the vegetables with the
back of a large spoon before discarding them. Skim off any
surface fat and return the braised juices to the casserole.
Stir in the dissolved potato starch. Then bring the sauce to a boil
over high heat, stirring constantly until it is lightly thickened and
smooth. Reduce the heat to low and gently stir in the caviar and
lemon juice and taste for seasoning. Pour the sauce over the veal
and serve at once, or if you prefer, serve the sauce separately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> [...]

> When the veal is tender, transfer it to a heated platter, cut
> away the strings and carve the meat into 1/ 4 inch-thick slices.
> Arrange them, slightly overlapping, down the center of a large
> platter and cover the platter loosely with foil to keep the meat
> warm while you make the sauce.
>
> Quickly strain the entire contents of the casserole through a fine
> sieve into a bowl, pressing down hard on the vegetables with the
> back of a large spoon before discarding them. Skim off any
> surface fat and return the braised juices to the casserole.
> Stir in the dissolved potato starch. Then bring the sauce to a boil
> over high heat, stirring constantly until it is lightly thickened and
> smooth. Reduce the heat to low and gently stir in the caviar and
> lemon juice and taste for seasoning. Pour the sauce over the veal
> and serve at once, or if you prefer, serve the sauce separately.

http://alleasyrecipes.com/recipes/1/...viar_sauce.asp

For those who want the temps used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/10/2020 7:57 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> If the weather would cool down (it's still in the mid-80's and
>> rather humid here) I might actually use my charcoal grill to cook them.

> ha ha Once again, the traditional Jill excuse for not using
> her charcoal grill. Have you *ever* used the darn thing?

See the country style ribs on the grill in this pic? That's my grill and
those were ribs I cooked:

https://tinyurl.com/y2gh4wje

It's still too damn hot and humid outside for me to feel comfortable
dealing with cooking over hot coals. You need to get over it, Gary.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> It's still too damn hot and humid outside for me to feel comfortable
> dealing with cooking over hot coals. You need to get over it, Gary.

Jillers, I've been over it. Still fun to tease you since you
respond though.

My back balcony was *always* too hot to grill in the summer.
My favorite time was on a calm cold winter evening.
Like sitting by a warm campfire cooking a nice meal.
My Weber charcoal grill had the short legs.

veal chops sf[_9_] General Cooking 36 15-04-2014 07:14 PM
Veal chops? [email protected] General Cooking 5 01-09-2013 05:29 PM
veal shoulder chops? MJ General Cooking 5 07-07-2005 07:53 PM
Help with Veal Rib Chops Gigi General Cooking 7 21-01-2005 03:57 PM
Help with Veal Rib Chops Gigi General Cooking 0 06-01-2005 04:16 PM