Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Don't let your meat loaf

It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject has been beaten to death on RFC.)

This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the source:

<https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>

My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used Heinz Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old mum used back in the day.

Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8

Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old gran some zillion years ago.

--
Silvar Beitel
(Penultimate post)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:03:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject has been beaten to death on RFC.)
>
> This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the source:
>
> <https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>
>
> My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used Heinz Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old mum used back in the day.
>
> Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8
>
> Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old gran some zillion years ago.
>
> Silvar Beitel
> (Penultimate post)

I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:14:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:03:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject has been beaten to death on RFC.)
> >
> > This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the source:
> >
> > <https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>
> >
> > My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used Heinz Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old mum used back in the day.
> >
> > Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8
> >
> > Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old gran some zillion years ago.
> >
> > Silvar Beitel
> > (Penultimate post)
> >

> I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
> what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
> the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.

Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:

http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 1:33:04 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:14:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:03:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > >
> > > It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject has been beaten to death on RFC.)
> > >
> > > This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the source:
> > >
> > > <https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>
> > >
> > > My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used Heinz Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old mum used back in the day.
> > >
> > > Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8
> > >
> > > Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old gran some zillion years ago.
> > >
> > > Silvar Beitel
> > > (Penultimate post)
> > >

> > I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
> > what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
> > the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.

> Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
>
> http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

The thing about meatloaf is that you can pretty much do anything you want. Stuff it with kim chee or ramen or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:33:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
>
> http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

B A R F

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:55:47 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> The thing about meatloaf is that you can pretty much do anything you want. Stuff it with kim chee or ramen or whatever.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg

Nope, nope, and nope again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:43:24 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:55:47 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > The thing about meatloaf is that you can pretty much do anything you want. Stuff it with kim chee or ramen or whatever.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg
> > >

> > Nope, nope, and nope again.

> Everyone's a critic.

That looks like some parasite - borne disease...ICK...!!!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Silvar Beitel" > wrote in message
> It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject has been
> beaten to death on RFC.)
>
> This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the source:
>
> <https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>
>
> My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used Heinz
> Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old mum used back
> in the day.
>
> Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8
>
> Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old
> gran some zillion years ago.

I love chili sauce on top but once I tried the Homade brand, the Heinz pales
in comparison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:53:27 PM UTC-10, GM wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > Nope, nope, and nope again.

> > Everyone's a critic.

> That looks like some parasite - borne disease...ICK...!!!
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Your fearless leader gets a little ill and you turn into a belligerent 6 year old - not cool. Try to get a grip, man. This is probably more your speed.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9n9KM-XZ7HvEvz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 10:41:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:33:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:

http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/

> > --
> > Silvar Beitel
> >

> B A R F

I didn't have quite such a strong reaction. Mine was: if only I liked hot kimchi... I still
prefer it the way I first had it: cold, as a side dish.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 16:55:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 1:33:04 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:

>> > I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
>> > what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
>> > the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.

>> Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
>>
>> http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

>The thing about meatloaf is that you can pretty much do anything you want. Stuff it with kim chee or ramen or whatever.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg

What, no SPAM?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 19:41:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:33:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
>>
>> http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel
>>

>B A R F

With that grinder at least we know it's not mystery meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 19:50:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:43:24 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:55:47 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > The thing about meatloaf is that you can pretty much do anything you want. Stuff it with kim chee or ramen or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl

>> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg
>> >

>> Nope, nope, and nope again.

>Everyone's a critic.

Only fault I can find is that it's much too small... need lots of LOs
for meat loaf sammiches. And Meat Loaf is two woids.
My meat loaf typically consists of five pounds of meat plus all the
veggies; I grind in fresh parsley, stems and all, an onion, a bell
pepper, a large raw potato... there's no limit to what ingredients
meat loaf can contain, always one egg per pound, grind in saltines,
even your favorite cheese... meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
even fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
> even fish.

A fish meatloaf? That sounds so wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 1:42:17 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 16:55:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
> >>
> >> http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Silvar Beitel

> >The thing about meatloaf is that you can pretty much do anything you want. Stuff it with kim chee or ramen or whatever.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg

> What, no SPAM?

Correct, no Spam. Portuguese sausage? Yup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 2:04:43 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 19:50:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl

> >> Nope, nope, and nope again.

> >Everyone's a critic.

> Only fault I can find is that it's much too small... need lots of LOs
> for meat loaf sammiches. And Meat Loaf is two woids.
> My meat loaf typically consists of five pounds of meat plus all the
> veggies; I grind in fresh parsley, stems and all, an onion, a bell
> pepper, a large raw potato... there's no limit to what ingredients
> meat loaf can contain, always one egg per pound, grind in saltines,
> even your favorite cheese... meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
> even fish.

I do not recommend that anybody stuff a meatloaf with kim chee or ramen but anything is possible. It might be too much for folks with a limited imagination to handle though. OTOH, a meatloaf that's over 3 lbs is kinda gross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 11:35:17 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 2:04:43 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > My meat loaf typically consists of five pounds of meat even fish.
> >

> I do not recommend that anybody stuff a meatloaf with kim chee or ramen but anything is possible. It might be too much for folks with a limited imagination to handle though. OTOH, a meatloaf that's over 3 lbs is kinda gross.

I gotta admit Sheldon does go overboard with the size of his meatloaves.
But they like meatloaf sandwiches, however a 3 pound or over meatloaf is
not unusual if you're feeding 10 people. 'Twar me and I was feeding 10 I'd
probably make two large loaves and have one at each end of the table.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:31:00 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 11:35:17 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 2:04:43 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> > >
> > > My meat loaf typically consists of five pounds of meat even fish.
> > >

> > I do not recommend that anybody stuff a meatloaf with kim chee or ramen but anything is possible. It might be too much for folks with a limited imagination to handle though. OTOH, a meatloaf that's over 3 lbs is kinda gross.
> >

> I gotta admit Sheldon does go overboard with the size of his meatloaves.
> But they like meatloaf sandwiches, however a 3 pound or over meatloaf is
> not unusual if you're feeding 10 people. 'Twar me and I was feeding 10 I'd
> probably make two large loaves and have one at each end of the table.

Large amounts of meat gives me the creeps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 1:08:38 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:31:00 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> >'Twar me and I was feeding 10 I'd
> > probably make two large loaves and have one at each end of the table.

> Large amounts of meat gives me the creeps.

That's why I suggested two meatloaves. That way it doesn't look like you've
plopped the whole cow on the table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:33:04 PM UTC-7, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:14:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:03:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > >
> > > It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject has been beaten to death on RFC.)
> > >
> > > This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the source:
> > >
> > > <https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>
> > >
> > > My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used Heinz Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old mum used back in the day.
> > >
> > > Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8
> > >
> > > Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old gran some zillion years ago.
> > >
> > > Silvar Beitel
> > > (Penultimate post)
> > >

> > I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
> > what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
> > the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.

> Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
>
> http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I have made this kimchi meatloaf recipe and it's really very good. I modified the methodology a bit to suit more how I cook but the thrust of the ingredients remained the same. It's very tasty and with just enough kick to make you want to go back for more.

It's a good addition to my meatloaf repertoire and I make it fairly often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 2:08:38 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:31:00 AM UTC-10, wrote:

> > > I do not recommend that anybody stuff a meatloaf with kim chee or ramen but anything is possible. It might be too much for folks with a limited imagination to handle though. OTOH, a meatloaf that's over 3 lbs is kinda gross.
> > >

> > I gotta admit Sheldon does go overboard with the size of his meatloaves.
> > But they like meatloaf sandwiches, however a 3 pound or over meatloaf is
> > not unusual if you're feeding 10 people. 'Twar me and I was feeding 10 I'd
> > probably make two large loaves and have one at each end of the table.

> Large amounts of meat gives me the creeps.

Like a whole pig in an imu?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 3:35:50 PM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:

> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:33:04 PM UTC-7, Silvar Beitel wrote:

> > Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
> >
> > http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/

> I have made this kimchi meatloaf recipe and it's really very good. I modified the methodology a bit to suit more how I cook but the thrust of the ingredients remained the same. It's very tasty and with just enough kick to make you want to go back for more.
>
> It's a good addition to my meatloaf repertoire and I make it fairly often..

Thank you! I almost went for it this time, since I love kimchi, but not having made any kind of meat loaf for at least ten years, I thought I'd start with a "standard." Next time (maybe another ten years? :-) ) fer shure.

And "meatloaf repertoire" just doesn't compute. But then, I've never run a restaurant and don't have your life experience. Thanks again.

(Lunch today was a meat loaf sandwich. Duh!)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > Nope, nope, and nope again.

> > Everyone's a critic.

> That looks like some parasite - borne disease...ICK...!!!

It's almost frightening looking.

> --
> Best
> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:04:43 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 19:50:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> Nope, nope, and nope again.

> >Everyone's a critic.

> Only fault I can find is that it's much too small... need lots of LOs
> for meat loaf sammiches. And Meat Loaf is two woids.
> My meat loaf typically consists of five pounds of meat plus all the
> veggies; I grind in fresh parsley, stems and all, an onion, a bell
> pepper, a large raw potato... there's no limit to what ingredients
> meat loaf can contain, always one egg per pound, grind in saltines,
> even your favorite cheese... meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
> even fish.

Sheldon is right. He described meat loaf that resembles pig slop. That's
what meat loaf is. Some of it is better pig slop, and some, worse pig slop.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 08:08:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
>> even fish.

>A fish meatloaf? That sounds so wrong.

Your taste buds are sick...TIAD...a fish loaf is like a large fish
cake, slice off how much you want... I like fish cakes made with fresh
fish... far better than those frozen things at market, certainly much
better than fast food fish sammies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 19:05:49 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 08:08:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
>>> even fish.

>>A fish meatloaf? That sounds so wrong.

>Your taste buds are sick...TIAD...a fish loaf is like a large fish
>cake, slice off how much you want... I like fish cakes made with fresh
>fish... far better than those frozen things at market, certainly much
>better than fast food fish sammies.

Does it have to be kosher gefilte fish from a New York deli?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 6:05:57 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 08:08:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
> >> even fish.

> >A fish meatloaf? That sounds so wrong.

> Your taste buds are sick...TIAD...a fish loaf is like a large fish
> cake, slice off how much you want... I like fish cakes made with fresh
> fish... far better than those frozen things at market, certainly much
> better than fast food fish sammies.

Frozen fish is great. It's most often fresher than non-frozen fish. The texture
might suffer a bit, but if you're making fish cakes, that's a non-issue. Fast
food fish isn't very good because they typically use pollock, and fry it in
crappy oil.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 6:33:04 PM UTC-5,
> wrote:
> >
> > Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly
> > like this:

http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/

> > --
> > Silvar Beitel
> >

> B A R F

I like that! The pictures are distracting but it looks easy to make at
home and I have all the ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:53:27 PM UTC-10, GM wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > Everyone's a critic.

> > That looks like some parasite - borne disease...ICK...!!!
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> Your fearless leader gets a little ill and you turn into a
> belligerent 6 year old - not cool. Try to get a grip, man. This is
> probably more your speed.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9n9KM-XZ7HvEvz

Not sure what that was. Lets go back to this:

https://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/k...loaf-melt-eng/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:31:00 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:

> > > I do not recommend that anybody stuff a meatloaf with kim chee or
> > > ramen but anything is possible. It might be too much for folks
> > > with a limited imagination to handle though. OTOH, a meatloaf
> > > that's over 3 lbs is kinda gross.
> > >

> > I gotta admit Sheldon does go overboard with the size of his
> > meatloaves. But they like meatloaf sandwiches, however a 3 pound
> > or over meatloaf is not unusual if you're feeding 10 people. 'Twar
> > me and I was feeding 10 I'd probably make two large loaves and have
> > one at each end of the table.

> Large amounts of meat gives me the creeps.

My friend Susan feeds 9-14 at a time every day. For her, a 6lb
meatloaf is a given and 9lbs is common as she'd setting up the next
meal. Her case is not average for here though and certainly not for
sheldon.

When Don and I make one, it's generally 2lbs and meant to be 3 meals
each. We aren't stinting to stretch it, just lower on the meatarian
scale.

As to Kimchee, we love it and make a hell of a good stuffed squid with
it. Normally mixed with rice but once we were out of rice and used
grits and it was actually suprisingly good! I made it as a joke in
frustration but my, it worked!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 4:41:09 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > That looks like some parasite - borne disease...ICK...!!!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best
> > > Greg

> > Your fearless leader gets a little ill and you turn into a
> > belligerent 6 year old - not cool. Try to get a grip, man. This is
> > probably more your speed.
> >

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9n9KM-XZ7HvEvz
>
> Not sure what that was. Lets go back to this:
>
> https://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/k...loaf-melt-eng/

That's Mexican chorizo with eggs using Cacique chorizo. It's kind of a disgusting product but it's tasty enough. Cacique chorizo is made with animal cheeks - salivary glands and lymph nodes. People might find it disturbing if they've never cooked it up before.

Speaking of disturbing, I'm braising some beef cheeks tonight. My wife said that it smells disgusting. That's probably not a good sign but it means that I'm going to have to work on the taste of those tough critters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us4LTdMaeRI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 1:08:38 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:31:00 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > >'Twar me and I was feeding 10 I'd
> > > probably make two large loaves and have one at each end of the table.

> > Large amounts of meat gives me the creeps.
> >

> That's why I suggested two meatloaves. That way it doesn't look like you've
> plopped the whole cow on the table.

Probably right. A larger piece of meat might look like an
animal instead of a nice piece of meat.

I cook 3lb meatloaves. Lot's for me only. None ever gets
frozen for future meals either. I'll constantly eat it
for lunch, dinner and snacks within a few days.

Never on a sandwich here. I'll reheat a slice each time and eat
it with sides just like the original meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 4:41:09 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...w9EXJjSoqFg._V

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B-PFGv-FuTg.8i

> > > Your fearless leader gets a little ill and you turn into a
> > > belligerent 6 year old - not cool. Try to get a grip, man. This is
> > > probably more your speed.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9n9KM-XZ7HvEvz

> > Not sure what that was. Lets go back to this:
> >
> > https://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/k...loaf-melt-eng/

> That's Mexican chorizo with eggs using Cacique chorizo. It's kind of
> a disgusting product but it's tasty enough. Cacique chorizo is made
> with animal cheeks - salivary glands and lymph nodes. People might
> find it disturbing if they've never cooked it up before.
>
> Speaking of disturbing, I'm braising some beef cheeks tonight. My
> wife said that it smells disgusting. That's probably not a good sign
> but it means that I'm going to have to work on the taste of those
> tough critters.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us4LTdMaeRI

Ok! I recognize the critters now. It's not quite the Chorizo I am
familiar with.

I also liked her cooking griddle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 1:08:38 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Large amounts of meat gives me the creeps.
> > >

> > That's why I suggested two meatloaves. That way it doesn't look
> > like you've plopped the whole cow on the table.

> Probably right. A larger piece of meat might look like an
> animal instead of a nice piece of meat.
>
> I cook 3lb meatloaves. Lot's for me only. None ever gets
> frozen for future meals either. I'll constantly eat it
> for lunch, dinner and snacks within a few days.
>
> Never on a sandwich here. I'll reheat a slice each time and eat
> it with sides just like the original meal.

Don and I constantly have fun varying meatloafs. We don't really have
a standard recipe. It's more like what sounds good at the time and
what we have handy right then.

Example: If the ricemaker has rice in it just then, it's apt to be rice
mixed in. If I have end bits of bread, it's apt to be torn up tiny
bits of bread. If we have neither, it's apt to have crackers.

It's likely to be a mix of ground beef and ground pork. Sometimes one
of the other is what we have handy. If pork is used, it may be a home
made sausage blend used (frozen raw).

It probaby will have added garlic and black pepper. It may have added
mushrooms or black olives, or may not. It may have or not have:
worstershire, hot/sweet chicken sauce, Banana sauce, soy sauce. It
probably has 2-3 eggs as binder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 8:12:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:

> Excess meatloaf makes fantastic cubic meatballs. Im tellin you guys.

I need samples before I can pass judgement. Hop to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 12:54:26 PM UTC-7, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 3:35:50 PM UTC-4, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:33:04 PM UTC-7, Silvar Beitel wrote:

> > > Next time (if there is a next time), I will do something roughly like this:
> > >
> > > http://ladyandpups.com/2013/02/11/ki...loaf-melt-eng/

> > I have made this kimchi meatloaf recipe and it's really very good. I modified the methodology a bit to suit more how I cook but the thrust of the ingredients remained the same. It's very tasty and with just enough kick to make you want to go back for more.
> >
> > It's a good addition to my meatloaf repertoire and I make it fairly often.

> Thank you! I almost went for it this time, since I love kimchi, but not having made any kind of meat loaf for at least ten years, I thought I'd start with a "standard." Next time (maybe another ten years? :-) ) fer shure.
>
> And "meatloaf repertoire" just doesn't compute. But then, I've never run a restaurant and don't have your life experience. Thanks again.
>
> (Lunch today was a meat loaf sandwich. Duh!)
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

well, you've inspired me. I got all the ingredients for a kimchi meatloaf today. Haven't made one in a few months and you've made me start jonesing for some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 5:08:56 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Oct 6, , wrote
> (in >):
>
> > On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 8:12:14 PM UTC-5, Leo wrote:
> > >
> > > Excess meatloaf makes fantastic cubic meatballs. Im tellin you guys.

> > I need samples before I can pass judgement. Hop to it.

> But...But...Its €śyour meatloaf€ť! If it holds together when
> refrigerated, cube it, sauce it, and give it a new life as something
> completely different. Id suggest it in spaghetti sauce, or (and I
> havent tried this), in a cream or sour cream sauce over fettuccini.
> Whats not to like?
> Im not sure if kimchee meatloaf would work for this, but it could. Because
> of a group thread, I bought some kimchee at the store about six months ago.
> My wife threw it in a cupboard, and later, I threw it out. It was supposed to
> be refrigerated. Im still anticipating my first kimchee.

You should have just eaten it. How bad could it be? You might like to try Hawaiian style kim chee. It has a lighter, fresher, taste. Nevada has got so many Hawaiians living around LV that you might be able to find it in supermarkets.

I've eaten some really old Korean kim chee. It's a sublime treat. The stuff gets a little mushy. It mellows out and gets a cheese-like taste to it. It's also a little bit disgusting. Eating it once or twice a year is fine with me but I enjoy it immensely.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3WERBKyQ6BJs8d

Meat Loaf Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 378 22-02-2019 12:06 AM
Meat loaf too dry Ken[_8_] General Cooking 14 29-01-2008 07:31 PM
"meat" loaf Serene General Cooking 0 25-04-2005 03:23 AM
Meat Loaf Pray Tell General Cooking 11 28-06-2004 09:15 PM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM