Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Don't let your meat loaf

On 2020 Oct 7, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> You should have just eaten it. How bad could it be? You might like to try
> Hawaiian style kim chee. It has a lighter, fresher, taste. Nevada has got so
> many Hawaiians living around LV that you might be able to find it in
> supermarkets.

The container said to keep it refrigerated, it looked scary to begin with,
and I was askeert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 03:42:07 -0700, Leo >
wrote:

>On 2020 Oct 7, , dsi1 wrote
>(in >):
>
>> You should have just eaten it. How bad could it be? You might like to try
>> Hawaiian style kim chee. It has a lighter, fresher, taste. Nevada has got so
>> many Hawaiians living around LV that you might be able to find it in
>> supermarkets.

>The container said to keep it refrigerated, it looked scary to begin with,
>and I was askeert.

I've always liked kimchi. The main problem seems to me that it could
be hotter than one likes or can handle. Take small bites if that's the
case.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 12:42:16 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Oct 7, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > You should have just eaten it. How bad could it be? You might like to try
> > Hawaiian style kim chee. It has a lighter, fresher, taste. Nevada has got so
> > many Hawaiians living around LV that you might be able to find it in
> > supermarkets.

> The container said to keep it refrigerated, it looked scary to begin with,
> and I was askeert.

Hawaiian kim chee is going to be light colored and friendly looking. A Korean kimchi is going to be a deep red and scary. Korean kimchi does look angry so yoose should be askeerd. You should try a happy Hawaiian kim chee for starters.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoHSNMxV...jpg&name=small
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8

>> Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it from me old gran some zillion years ago.
>>
>> Silvar Beitel
>> (Penultimate post)
>>

> I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
> what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
> the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.

I add cocktail sauce *to* the meatloaf mixture. Oh, and don't use only
ground beef. A mixture of ground beef and ground pork makes a big
difference. I used to be able to find a trio at the meat counter of
equal parts ground beef, ground pork and ground veal at the grocery
store that was specifically designated as "meatloaf mix" but I haven't
seen that in a while. At the very least, do use a beef & pork mixture.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...B4WGhmDgjvjXwl

>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...meZaHR5p31maXg
>>

> Nope, nope, and nope again.

Ramen noodles and such might be the "thing" where dsi1 lives and we all
know where that is. Heh. No doubt soon he'll claim people all over the
mainland will discover this form of meatloaf and like it. That's not
meatloaf. It's a dsi1 diversion.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/5/2020 8:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
>> even fish.

> A fish meatloaf? That sounds so wrong.

There is such a thing as fish loaves. I've never made one but I've
heard of them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 6:10:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 10/5/2020 8:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> meat loaf can be of any meat, poultry,
> >> even fish.

> > A fish meatloaf? That sounds so wrong.
> >

> There is such a thing as fish loaves. I've never made one but I've
> heard of them.

I think it works like this. If you give loaves and fishes to the multitudes,
then you get back more loaves and fishes, you can reap the rewards of
whatever the Hell the multitudes did to increase (add surplus value to)
the loaves and fishes, and at the same time reconcile the generosity of
Jesus with predatory capitalism.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 4:18:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On 10/4/2020 6:14 PM, wrote:
> >
> > I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out so bland no matter
> > what I've added to it. But, I have been toying with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either
> > the fixings or the top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.
> >

> I add cocktail sauce *to* the meatloaf mixture. Oh, and don't use only
> ground beef. A mixture of ground beef and ground pork makes a big
> difference.

I've added chili sauce to my meatloaf as well as ground pork and Italian sausage.
The meatloaf still turned out a real snooze fest. Even amped up the spices and
herbs. Zzzzzzzzzz

> I used to be able to find a trio at the meat counter of
> equal parts ground beef, ground pork and ground veal at the grocery
> store that was specifically designated as "meatloaf mix" but I haven't
> seen that in a while. At the very least, do use a beef & pork mixture.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 12:42:16 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> > On 2020 Oct 7, , dsi1 wrote
> > (in
> > >):
> >
> > > You should have just eaten it. How bad could it be? You might
> > > like to try Hawaiian style kim chee. It has a lighter, fresher,
> > > taste. Nevada has got so many Hawaiians living around LV that you
> > > might be able to find it in supermarkets.

> > The container said to keep it refrigerated, it looked scary to
> > begin with, and I was askeert.

> Hawaiian kim chee is going to be light colored and friendly looking.
> A Korean kimchi is going to be a deep red and scary. Korean kimchi
> does look angry so yoose should be askeerd. You should try a happy
> Hawaiian kim chee for starters.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoHSNMxV...jpg&name=small

I can find that one here and get it from time to time. Works for me.
It is very like a Japanese verson and may have come to you from
Japanese immigrants.

For the rest, there are 2 types of Japanese kimchee that I am familiar
with. One is fermented and the other is not. I like the fresh one best
and it's so easy to make, I do it myself on a fairly regular basis. Of
course they use other vegetables besides cabbage types

Last week or so I made one with a head of purple cabbage and jullianned
carrot. Came out nicely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/4/2020 6:14 PM, wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 4:03:31 PM UTC-5,
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > It has been ages since I made a meat loaf (and I know the subject
> > > has been beaten to death on RFC.)
> > >
> > > This seemed about right for a basic one, especially given the
> > > source:

<https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes/recipe/55558/classic-beef-meatloaf>

> > > My only mods: 1) Used 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork. 2) Used
> > > Heinz Chili Sauce as baste/topping. I swear, that's what me old
> > > mum used back in the day.
> > >
> > > Pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1crqqGpVNYWgn9JG8

> > > Also note my classic old meat grinder. I think I inherited it
> > > from me old gran some zillion years ago.
> > >
> > > Silvar Beitel
> > > (Penultimate post)
> > >

> > I've pretty much given up on making meatloaf as mine just turns out
> > so bland no matter what I've added to it. But, I have been toying
> > with adding a bit of marinara sauce to either the fixings or the
> > top if I should dive into the meatloaf foray again.
> >

> I add cocktail sauce to the meatloaf mixture. Oh, and don't use only
> ground beef. A mixture of ground beef and ground pork makes a big
> difference. I used to be able to find a trio at the meat counter of
> equal parts ground beef, ground pork and ground veal at the grocery
> store that was specifically designated as "meatloaf mix" but I
> haven't seen that in a while. At the very least, do use a beef &
> pork mixture.
>
> Jill

I added ground lamb once and it was really good as part of the trio of
meats. Cocktail sauce is an interesting difference but most of them
seem too sweet to me. Perhaps I've tried the wrong brands?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 2:03:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 12:42:16 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> > > On 2020 Oct 7, , dsi1 wrote
> > > (in

> > > The container said to keep it refrigerated, it looked scary to
> > > begin with, and I was askeert.

> > Hawaiian kim chee is going to be light colored and friendly looking.
> > A Korean kimchi is going to be a deep red and scary. Korean kimchi
> > does look angry so yoose should be askeerd. You should try a happy
> > Hawaiian kim chee for starters.
> >
> > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoHSNMxV...jpg&name=small

> I can find that one here and get it from time to time. Works for me.
> It is very like a Japanese verson and may have come to you from
> Japanese immigrants.
>
> For the rest, there are 2 types of Japanese kimchee that I am familiar
> with. One is fermented and the other is not. I like the fresh one best
> and it's so easy to make, I do it myself on a fairly regular basis. Of
> course they use other vegetables besides cabbage types
>
> Last week or so I made one with a head of purple cabbage and jullianned
> carrot. Came out nicely.

We like the fresh Korean kim chee too. For cooking, the older, sour, version works fine. My daughter made some kim chee fried rice this morning and served it. Her fried rice tastes better than mine and she makes it with meticulous care. I just throw stuff in the wok but she cooks with a lot of heart and love.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SVa_tmV9DzAWrg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Cocktail sauce is an interesting difference but most of them
> seem too sweet to me. Perhaps I've tried the wrong brands?

Make your own brand. That's what I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:

> It's like biscuits ... Some people just use the same
> recipe and make better biscuits than others.

Key to good biscuits is to not overwork the dough.
Just cut the ingredients in then shape. Makes the difference
between a good biscuit and a hocky puck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 6:20:03 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Hank Rogers wrote:
> >
> > It's like biscuits ... Some people just use the same
> > recipe and make better biscuits than others.
> >

> Key to good biscuits is to not overwork the dough.
> Just cut the ingredients in then shape. Makes the difference
> between a good biscuit and a hocky puck.

The key to good biscuits is to let someone else make them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 6:20:03 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > Hank Rogers wrote:
> > >
> > > It's like biscuits ... Some people just use the same
> > > recipe and make better biscuits than others.
> > >

> > Key to good biscuits is to not overwork the dough.
> > Just cut the ingredients in then shape. Makes the difference
> > between a good biscuit and a hocky puck.
> >

> The key to good biscuits is to let someone else make them.

LOL. True!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 7:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Cocktail sauce is an interesting difference but most of them
>> seem too sweet to me. Perhaps I've tried the wrong brands?

> Make your own brand. That's what I do.

Yes.
Ketchup, horseradish, chili powder, lemon juice. Proportions to suit
your taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 10/8/2020 7:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> > cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> Cocktail sauce is an interesting difference but most of them
> >> seem too sweet to me. Perhaps I've tried the wrong brands?

> > Make your own brand. That's what I do.
> >

> Yes.
> Ketchup, horseradish, chili powder, lemon juice. Proportions to suit
> your taste.

I've never used chili powder but I do add a bit of worcestershire
sauce. I have my basic ingredients but as I rarely make it,
I'll often look up a few recipes just as a reminder of
something else I didn't remember.

Without looking it up now, mine is ketchup, horseradish, wuss
sauce
and lemon juice. About the same as yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 09:05:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 10/8/2020 7:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> Cocktail sauce is an interesting difference but most of them
>>> seem too sweet to me. Perhaps I've tried the wrong brands?

>> Make your own brand. That's what I do.
>>

>Yes.
>Ketchup, horseradish, chili powder, lemon juice. Proportions to suit
>your taste.

or ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper, maybe
a smidge of salt.
Much better than the bottled stuff labeled cocktail sauce.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 9:35 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 09:05:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Make your own brand. That's what I do.
>>>

>> Yes.
>> Ketchup, horseradish, chili powder, lemon juice. Proportions to suit
>> your taste.

> or ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper, maybe
> a smidge of salt.
> Much better than the bottled stuff labeled cocktail sauce.
> Janet US

or ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 12:51:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On 10/7/2020 7:31 PM, wrote:
> >
> > I've added chili sauce to my meatloaf as well as ground pork and Italian sausage.
> > The meatloaf still turned out a real snooze fest. Even amped up the spices and
> > herbs. Zzzzzzzzzz
> >>

> Alrighty then! So, you don't like meatloaf. Don't bother making it.
>
> Jill

I love meatloaf, just not mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 10/8/2020 9:35 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> > > Yes.
> > > Ketchup, horseradish, chili powder, lemon juice. Proportions to
> > > suit your taste.

> > or ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper,
> > maybe a smidge of salt.
> > Much better than the bottled stuff labeled cocktail sauce.
> > Janet US
> >

> or ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce

I think it's the sweet ketchup I don't like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/8/2020 11:15 PM, cshenk wrote:

>>> or ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper,
>>> maybe a smidge of salt.
>>> Much better than the bottled stuff labeled cocktail sauce.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> or ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce

> I think it's the sweet ketchup I don't like.

I buy the Heinz Simply Ketchup. Not as sweet tasting as it has cane
sugar instead of corn syrup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 5:16:09 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:

> > > or ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, fresh ground black pepper,
> > > maybe a smidge of salt.
> > > Much better than the bottled stuff labeled cocktail sauce.
> > > Janet US
> > >

> > or ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce

> I think it's the sweet ketchup I don't like.

That's why the Chinese like to use ketchup. It adds sweetness and brightness to a dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > > or ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce

> > I think it's the sweet ketchup I don't like.
> >

> I buy the Heinz Simply Ketchup. Not as sweet tasting as it has cane
> sugar instead of corn syrup.

Sorry but not in mine. Doesn't work for us. A little tomato paste at
times may land in there or better yet, tomato powder.

I's not that I hate anything sweet, but that it just doesn't fit meat
dishes often to me and definatley not meatloaf. If I do reach for a
sweet there, it would be Banana sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:

>If I do reach for a sweet there, it would be Banana sauce.

I got your banana sauce schwingin'...hehehe... what's banana sauce?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
> >
> > If I do reach for a sweet there, it would be Banana sauce.

> I got your banana sauce schwingin'...hehehe... what's banana sauce?

Grin, the one I get if made by Jufran and comes in several heat levels.
It looks a lot like ketchup but there's no tomato.

https://www.amazon.com/Jufran-Banana...dp/B005NJBO4Y/

Note this one has a high markup at Amazon. Local price at Walmart is
1.16$. I pay a little more at Asian American Market but that's because
Walmart drives me buggy moving stuff around all the time so you will
hopefully by other stuff while searching for what you want.

About 1.40$ at AAM. I get lots of other specialty things at the same
time there.

2TB has 300mg sodium and it's made in the Philipennes.

It doesn't taste like Bananas BTW nor do I think it tastes like Ketchup
but some say it does. To me, the medium version is a bit like hot and
sweet. The mild version is mostly sweet and the hot one won't stagger
you but has a little kick.

It's also called 'Banana ketchup' and Jufran is the most common
exported one. I think I first found it when I was living in Hawaii but
I definately had it in San Diego. Got it in the Commissary in Sasebo.

For probably less than 1.50$ where you are, it's worth a trial. Could
be your local market has it along the Asian foods section. I haven't
noted you making much that was very hot but I am pretty sure the
'Medium' will suit you. You can use it as a side dip with fries or if
you like Ketchup in eggs, try Jufran for a nice swap.

Last note, doesn't need to be refridgerated after opening. If you do,
it will be too thick to pour until at room temp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
> >
> > If I do reach for a sweet there, it would be Banana sauce.

> I got your banana sauce schwingin'...hehehe... what's banana sauce?

Oh, noted the subject like. Jufran works really nicely in meatloaf or
as a topping.

Meat Loaf Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 378 22-02-2019 01:06 AM
Meat loaf too dry Ken[_8_] General Cooking 14 29-01-2008 08:31 PM
"meat" loaf Serene General Cooking 0 25-04-2005 03:23 AM
Meat Loaf Pray Tell General Cooking 11 28-06-2004 09:15 PM
meat loaf Howard and duncy General Cooking 4 19-06-2004 02:58 AM