MJ

Default donut maker

Does anyone have one of those donut express makers? The one where you buy a
kit and it comes with the pans and stuff to make your own donuts but they
are baked? Anyways i bought one and tried the recipe in the book that comes
with and they were disgusting. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get
this thing working right? Thats if anyone has any idea what i am even
talking about..lol?
Thanks
MJ

DJS0302

A true doughnut is fried in oil. If you bake then you end up with dinner
rolls, not doughnuts.
PENMART01

>(DJS0302) writes:
>
>A true doughnut is fried in oil. If you bake then you end up with dinner
>rolls, not doughnuts.

Not so... a baked donut is just as much a donut as a fried donut.... I happen
to prefer baked donuts... Entennman's devils food donuts rule!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(DJS0302) writes:
>
>A true doughnut is fried in oil. If you bake then you end up with dinner
>rolls, not doughnuts.

Not so... a baked donut is just as much a donut as a fried donut.... I happen
to prefer baked donuts... Entennman's devils food donuts rule!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Bob (this one)

MJ wrote:

> Does anyone have one of those donut express makers? The one where you b=

uy a
> kit and it comes with the pans and stuff to make your own donuts but th=

ey
> are baked? Anyways i bought one and tried the recipe in the book that c=

omes
> with and they were disgusting. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to g=

et
> this thing working right? Thats if anyone has any idea what i am even
> talking about..lol?

Here. Try this. A column from years ago...

Pastorio
---------------

Delightful Donut Doings
Patty cake, patty cake baker man. Bake me a doughnut as fast as you=20
can. Wait a minute. Bake me a doughnut? Aren't doughnuts fried?=20
Yes, mostly. Except the ones we'll look at today.
You've had risen doughnuts and you've had cake doughnuts. Here's a=20
very different approach. These are baked. It's not that they're any=20
lower in calories, just that they have a very different texture and,=20
if you follow this recipe, a wonderfully buttery flavor. Yep.=20
=93Buttery=94 and =93doughnut=94 have finally ended up in the same senten=
ce.=20
And about time it is.
And when you have the basic version down, let's look at some=20
variations that'll have you hankerin=92 for some. I've always wanted to =

use the word =93hankerin=92=94 in one of these sermons. Another goal rea=
ched.
Baked, not fried, Doughnuts
Makes about a dozen and a half
1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 110)
1 1/2 cup milk, scalded and cooled to about 110
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening (or butter), melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
melted butter for brushing on (maybe 1/2 cup)
Combine yeast, water, milk, sugar and salt and let sit for about 5=20
minutes. Beat in nutmeg, cinnamon, eggs and shortening. Beat in flour=20
until mixed. Put into a lightly greased bowl and let rise until=20
doubled in bulk. Punch down and turn out onto a floured surface.
Or, you can do it the new way. If you have a bread machine, put all=20
the dough ingredients in the machine in the dough cycle. When the=20
cycle is over and the dough has risen, turn out onto a floured surface=20
and punch down.
Dough should be soft. With a floured rolling pin, gently roll dough=20
about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a floured 2 1/2 or 3 inch doughnut=20
cutter. Either bake the holes, too or push them back together, roll=20
and cut until the dough is all used up. Lift doughnuts with a=20
floured spatula and put about 2 inches apart on a lightly greased=20
cookie sheet. Brush doughnuts gently with melted butter. Let rise,=20
covered and away from breezes until doubled, maybe 20 minutes.
Heat oven to 425. Bake 8 or 10 minutes or until nicely golden.=20
Quickly, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with confectioners=92=20
sugar. Or, alternately, either sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or spread=20
with glaze; recipes follow.
Cinnamon sugar mixtu 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, pinch=20
allspice.
Creamy glaze: Combine 1/3 cup melted butter, 2 cups confectioner's=20
sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 4 to 6 tablespoons water or apple=20
juice, one tablespoon at a time, until the warm glaze is just barely=20
pourable.
Variations include adding things to the dough. You can add up to a=20
cup of dry chopped ingredients to the dough. Chopped nuts. Finely=20
chopped dried fruit like peaches, pears, apples or a combination.=20
Raisins. Dates.
Fresh blueberries. Rinse and dry them very well. Gently toss them=20
with flour and add to the dough. Crushed pineapple. Drain and pat=20
dry. Or use a technique variation like this: roll the dough out to=20
about 1/4 inch and use a 3 inch cutter. Put a ring of dough on the=20
cookie sheet, top with some berries or something else that strikes=20
your fancy and put another ring of dough on top, pinching to seal the=20
edges. Proceed as in the original recipe. Or use a biscuit cutter=20
and don't have a hole in the center. Or use a square cutter. Or some=20
other shape but be careful of too-complicated shapes that might burn=20
out at the ends.
In the glaze, substitute some other flavored extracts for the=20
vanilla. Lemon. Orange. Coconut. Whatever you like. Peanut butter.
Or glaze with chocolate icing. Yes, I know. Me too.
=93Bake me a cake as fast as you can.=94 Oh, sure, that's how it used t=
o be.

sf

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:44:21 -0600, "james a. finley"
> wrote:

> Are you refering to an electric donut maker? I have one but I have lost the
> recipe booklet that came with it. Do you have a recipe that you could post?
> My maker makes six mini donuts.

Yes, it's electric.... but it doesn't make mini-donuts.
I'll dig it out tomorrow and post a basic recipe for you.

sf
sf

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:44:21 -0600, "james a. finley"
> wrote:

> Are you refering to an electric donut maker? I have one but I have lost the
> recipe booklet that came with it. Do you have a recipe that you could post?
> My maker makes six mini donuts.

Yes, it's electric.... but it doesn't make mini-donuts.
I'll dig it out tomorrow and post a basic recipe for you.

sf
sf

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:44:21 -0600, "james a. finley"
> wrote:

> Are you refering to an electric donut maker? I have one but I have lost the
> recipe booklet that came with it. Do you have a recipe that you could post?
> My maker makes six mini donuts.

Yes, it's electric.... but it doesn't make mini-donuts.
I'll dig it out tomorrow and post a basic recipe for you.

sf

sf

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:38:16 -0500, "MJ"
> wrote:

> The one i was talking about is just a cheap thing from walmart...with it you
> get the pans, an injector for filling, and a book. these ones you just bake
> in the oven. I used the recipes that came with it and i am not sure if i did
> something wrong or what but they were disgusting... i might try them one
> more time just for good measure.

What you're describing doesn't relate to anything on my
radar screen. If it's a current product, do you have a URL
to point to so I can get a visual of it?

sf
sf

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:38:16 -0500, "MJ"
> wrote:

> The one i was talking about is just a cheap thing from walmart...with it you
> get the pans, an injector for filling, and a book. these ones you just bake
> in the oven. I used the recipes that came with it and i am not sure if i did
> something wrong or what but they were disgusting... i might try them one
> more time just for good measure.

What you're describing doesn't relate to anything on my
radar screen. If it's a current product, do you have a URL
to point to so I can get a visual of it?

sf
MJ

This is the link of a photo of it....let me know what you think..thanks
MJ

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...101496894/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-kitchen/103-0792577-3207021?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=284507

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:38:16 -0500, "MJ"
> > wrote:
>
> > The one i was talking about is just a cheap thing from walmart...with

it you
> > get the pans, an injector for filling, and a book. these ones you just

bake
> > in the oven. I used the recipes that came with it and i am not sure if

i did
> > something wrong or what but they were disgusting... i might try them

one
> > more time just for good measure.

> What you're describing doesn't relate to anything on my
> radar screen. If it's a current product, do you have a URL
> to point to so I can get a visual of it?
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

MJ

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:38:16 -0500, "MJ"
> > wrote:
>
> > The one i was talking about is just a cheap thing from walmart...with

it you
> > get the pans, an injector for filling, and a book. these ones you just

bake
> > in the oven. I used the recipes that came with it and i am not sure if

i did
> > something wrong or what but they were disgusting... i might try them

one
> > more time just for good measure.

> What you're describing doesn't relate to anything on my
> radar screen. If it's a current product, do you have a URL
> to point to so I can get a visual of it?
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Donut holes George M. Middius[_2_] General Cooking 0 15-05-2012 12:43 AM
RSS Coffee Feed - Great Drip Coffee Maker - Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741 - How do you choose a drip coffee maker? With so many brands, modules, features and prices, choosing a drip coffee maker is not as simple as it seems. The Technivorm Moccamast `RSS,,,@...' Coffee 0 20-01-2012 03:11 AM
donut blAndy General Cooking 2 05-06-2007 05:39 AM
Donut express kit Viviane Cooking Equipment 0 28-03-2005 11:52 AM
Donut Factory Mike General Cooking 7 24-06-2004 08:34 PM