Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pulled Pork Rib Sandwich

With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...

https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>
> -sw

Never had horseradish pickles but it sure looks like a nice pile of dead
animal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:54:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>>
>> -sw
>>

>Never had horseradish pickles but it sure looks like a nice pile of dead
>animal.

Shall we call an ambulance or do you think it's too late?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>
> -sw

Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:58:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>
>-sw

Looks good but I'd prefer the pickles on the side, that reddish
dressing too... and I'd much prefer that roll toasted. The corn is
fine if served with dental floss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13:36 12 Aug 2020, jmcquown said:
> On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...ork-Rib-Sweet-
>> Horseradish-Pickles.jpg
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>
> Jill

His cob isn't so incongruous in this one but the watermelon made me raise
an eyebrow .... https://postlmg.cc/mPzGfLH7
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 8:36:57 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
> >
> > https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>
> Jill

The great sweet corn we get around here gets only a short bath in hot water before we devour it. You could arguably call that sous vide. I sometimes wonder if the only reason one heats it at all is to melt the butter we like to rub on it. :-)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 8:36:57 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> > With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>> >
>> > https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>> >
>> > -sw
>> >

>> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>>
>> Jill

>The great sweet corn we get around here gets only a short bath in hot water before we devour it. You could arguably call that sous vide. I sometimes wonder if the only reason one heats it at all is to melt the butter we like to rub on it. :-)

Maybe heat gets rid of some of the Roundup?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> > wrote:

>>> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The great sweet corn we get around here gets only a short bath in hot water before we devour it. You could arguably call that sous vide. I sometimes wonder if the only reason one heats it at all is to melt the butter we like to rub on it. :-)

> Maybe heat gets rid of some of the Roundup?

Nah, that stuff penetrates every cell in the plant, and gives the
food that great taste that deplorable americans just love.

It's too bad the poor *******s ain't as smart as the dutch folks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2020 3:56 PM, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 8:36:57 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>>
>> Jill

> The great sweet corn we get around here gets only a short bath in hot water before we devour it. You could arguably call that sous vide. I sometimes wonder if the only reason one heats it at all is to melt the butter we like to rub on it. :-)

That's pretty much the way I feel about corn on the cob. It is heated
to serve as venue for melting the butter. Must also be salted.

I love grilled corn on the cob, too. If I'd taken the time to grill the
ribs (he did) to make the pulled pork, he could also have grilled the
corn. Just sayin'

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:36:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?

No boiling/simmering to leech out flavor. And it bathes gently in
butter and salt.

You probably won't 'get it until you try it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:54:05 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/12/2020 3:56 PM, Silvar Beitel wrote:

>>> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The great sweet corn we get around here gets only a short bath in hot water before we devour it. You could arguably call that sous vide. I sometimes wonder if the only reason one heats it at all is to melt the butter we like to rub on it. :-)
>>

> That's pretty much the way I feel about corn on the cob. It is heated
> to serve as venue for melting the butter. Must also be salted.
>
> I love grilled corn on the cob, too. If I'd taken the time to grill the
> ribs (he did) to make the pulled pork, he could also have grilled the
> corn. Just sayin'

I didn't grill the pork ribs - I smoked it. The fire in a smoker
isn't really hot enough to grill unless you remove the meat and
rearrange things.

I know - you don't 'get it'. But plenty of us do.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:49:40 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:58:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>>
>>-sw

> Looks good but I'd prefer the pickles on the side, that reddish
> dressing too... and I'd much prefer that roll toasted. The corn is
> fine if served with dental floss.

That reddish dressing is called... get this... BBQ sauce. And
pickles are standard on a pulled pork sandwich. The roll is toasted
on the outside - you don't want to toast the inside because you want
the meat to stick in there.

You're obviously not familiar with a pulled pork sandwich - not
surprising.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2020 7:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:49:40 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:58:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Looks good but I'd prefer the pickles on the side, that reddish
>> dressing too... and I'd much prefer that roll toasted. The corn is
>> fine if served with dental floss.

> That reddish dressing is called... get this... BBQ sauce. And
> pickles are standard on a pulled pork sandwich. The roll is toasted
> on the outside - you don't want to toast the inside because you want
> the meat to stick in there.
>
> You're obviously not familiar with a pulled pork sandwich - not
> surprising.
>
> -sw

must be interesting sauce - it keeps the fly away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:15:50 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 8/12/2020 7:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:49:40 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> Looks good but I'd prefer the pickles on the side, that reddish
>>> dressing too... and I'd much prefer that roll toasted. The corn is
>>> fine if served with dental floss.

>> That reddish dressing is called... get this... BBQ sauce. And
>> pickles are standard on a pulled pork sandwich. The roll is toasted
>> on the outside - you don't want to toast the inside because you want
>> the meat to stick in there.
>>
>> You're obviously not familiar with a pulled pork sandwich - not
>> surprising.
>>
>> -sw
>>

>must be interesting sauce - it keeps the fly away.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:15:50 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 8/12/2020 7:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:49:40 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> Looks good but I'd prefer the pickles on the side, that reddish
>>> dressing too... and I'd much prefer that roll toasted. The corn is
>>> fine if served with dental floss.

>> That reddish dressing is called... get this... BBQ sauce. And
>> pickles are standard on a pulled pork sandwich. The roll is toasted
>> on the outside - you don't want to toast the inside because you want
>> the meat to stick in there.
>>
>> You're obviously not familiar with a pulled pork sandwich - not
>> surprising.

> must be interesting sauce - it keeps the fly away.

Which is odd because flies can't actually eat anything (except as
maggots). They can only drink.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:15:50 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> must be interesting sauce - it keeps the fly away.

And congratulations. You're the first one that finished my sentence
in my original post. I think everybody else was oblivious to it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg

We've discovered rule 1 of food photography: Do not include any flies,
unless they're part of the dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 8/12/2020 7:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:49:40 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> Looks good but I'd prefer the pickles on the side, that reddish
>>> dressing too... and I'd much prefer that roll toasted.* The corn is
>>> fine if served with dental floss.

>> That reddish dressing is called... get this... BBQ sauce. And
>> pickles are standard on a pulled pork sandwich.* The roll is toasted
>> on the outside - you don't want to toast the inside because you want
>> the meat to stick in there.
>>
>> You're obviously not familiar with a pulled pork sandwich - not
>> surprising.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> must be interesting sauce - it keeps the fly away.

Are you sure it's not attracting that fly, in order to increase the
protein content?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg

We've discovered rule 1 of food photography: Do not include any flies,
unless they're part of the dish.

====

I would prefer not to eat that fly as part of the dish ...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:11:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:58:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg

>We've discovered rule 1 of food photography: Do not include any flies,
>unless they're part of the dish.
>
>====
>
> I would prefer not to eat that fly as part of the dish ...

He's from Texas, you know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:11:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:58:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg

>We've discovered rule 1 of food photography: Do not include any flies,
>unless they're part of the dish.
>
>====
>
> I would prefer not to eat that fly as part of the dish ...

He's from Texas, you know.

===

Really? Are they keen on flies then?? Who knew?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote:
> We've discovered rule 1 of food photography: Do not include any flies,
> unless they're part of the dish.
>
> ====
>
> I would prefer not to eat that fly as part of the dish ...

I watched a hour-long documentary a few months ago about the
Nile river from where it starts and to the end. It was
an interesting one.

Somewhere about midpoint in a jungle area, there showed how
the natives living there would collect flies in large nets
(like butterfly nets). I think it was fly mating season but
they were swarming by the river...millions of them.

Those natives would collect them by the thousands, then smash
them all into mush. Add some other veggies and make a
protein rich fly stew or something.

I'll bet you're not interested in that recipe.

Anyway, the river documentary is on PBS which features
the Explorer Channel. It's a series of river docs. I've seen
3 of them so far...The Nile, the Amazon and the Mississippi
rivers.

I'm watching for and hoping for another... the Yukon river.
I'd like that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote:
> We've discovered rule 1 of food photography: Do not include any flies,
> unless they're part of the dish.
>
> ====
>
> I would prefer not to eat that fly as part of the dish ...

I watched a hour-long documentary a few months ago about the
Nile river from where it starts and to the end. It was
an interesting one.

Somewhere about midpoint in a jungle area, there showed how
the natives living there would collect flies in large nets
(like butterfly nets). I think it was fly mating season but
they were swarming by the river...millions of them.

Those natives would collect them by the thousands, then smash
them all into mush. Add some other veggies and make a
protein rich fly stew or something.

I'll bet you're not interested in that recipe.

Er you you got that spot on LOL

Anyway, the river documentary is on PBS which features
the Explorer Channel. It's a series of river docs. I've seen
3 of them so far...The Nile, the Amazon and the Mississippi
rivers.

Did you think they sounded attractive to you ... <g>

I'm watching for and hoping for another... the Yukon river.
I'd like that one.

I hope you find one)))))

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 3:56 p.m., Silvar Beitel wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 8:36:57 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 8/11/2020 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> With sweet horseradish pickles, sous vide corn, and...
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/GtqZxrxP/Sandwi...sh-Pickles.jpg
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Looks tasty but sous vide corn on the cob? Why?
>>
>> Jill

> The great sweet corn we get around here gets only a short bath in hot water before we devour it.

The only corn I see goes into Tex Mex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-08-12 8:54 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/12/2020 3:56 PM, Silvar Beitel wrote:

> That's pretty much the way I feel about corn on the cob.Â* It is heated
> to serve as venue for melting the butter.Â* Must also be salted.
>
> I love grilled corn on the cob, too.Â* If I'd taken the time to grill the
> ribs (he did) to make the pulled pork, he could also have grilled the
> corn.Â* Just sayin'

I always grill my corn. I have ready access to freshly picked corn, so
fresh it doesn't need to be soaked before grilling. I prefer grilled to
boiled. I tried microwaving it, but grilling is still my preferred method.

I also picked up on the suggestion of lime juice and chili powder
instead of butter, salt and pepper.