Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ribs and Chicken and Watermelon

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 7:14:53 PM UTC-4, Leo wrote:
> > On 2020 Aug 8, , Cindy Hamilton wrote
> > (in >):
> >
> > > We got an entire deer for the cost of one .357 cartridge.

> > Rifle or pistol?

> Pistol.

That's a rare deer hunting kill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09:49 9 Aug 2020, Bruce said:

> On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 09:22:20 +0100, Pamela >
> wrote:

>>> No they're not. They sometimes have bruises or broken bones, or other
>>> things that would make them grade B, but they're not old laying hens.
>>> They cook up the same as fryers. That leg on the plate there is dinky.
>>> And if it was an old hen it would not have separated at the tendon
>>> like that.
>>>
>>> -sw

>>You have no way whatsoever of knowing in advance what the seller puts
>>into a jumbled bag of chicken parts.
>>
>>You can be certain of one thing: if he could have sold it for more then
>>he would have done. You don't even know it's not imported chicken
>>masquerading as home-grown that's been chlorine washed to hide decay
>>(something we don't allow in the UK).

> The US has lower standards with regards to just about everything than
> the UK. If the UK wants a trade deal with the US to try and make up for
> Brexit, they'll have to lower their standards to the US standards.
> Wasn't that a problem and how has that ended?

The Britain-America trade deal was due last month but now it's expected
next year. There's not been any real public debate yet in the UK about
chlorine washed meat or other American food production practises.

When it's all over, if someone offers me a 10lb bag of chicken quarters
for $3.90 I won't be buying it.

We've had enough scares with condemned meat being re-introduced into the
food chain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 04:42:22 -0700, Leo wrote:

> On 2020 Aug 9, , Bruce wrote
> (in >):
>
>> On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 04:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>>> Pistol.

>> You must be proud.

> I would be. I¢ve never been anywhere near close enough to a wild deer to
> shoot one with a pistol.

I shot an 8 point buck with a rifle. A pump action Crosman 2100, 12
pumps, loaded with a .177ca BB. The ****er just licked his haunch
and laughed it off with a "pbbbbbbbt!".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2020 10:05 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Ribs and chicken smoked over post oak, sous vide cotc, charro beans
> with burnt ends, and a small pink obelisk.
>
> https://postimg.cc/mPzGfLH7/d853465a

That looks like a very nice picnic type dinner.

> It's been a pretty good food week so far - one meal a day, you might
> as well do it right. Chefboyardee tomorrow for dinner - Lasagna or
> spaghetti and meatballs?
>
> -sw

Does Franco-American brand still exist? When I was a kid, Mom would buy
canned Chef Boyardee spaghetti & meatballs. One day she bought the
Franco-American brand. It contained a lot more "meatballs".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 8:10AM, Pamela wrote:

> The Britain-America trade deal was due last month but now it's expected
> next year. There's not been any real public debate yet in the UK about
> chlorine washed meat or other American food production practises.

Oh. I thought they used ammonia here in the states. Here and in Canada, there are hundreds of kilometers between meat processing plants. They're tough to regulate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 13:10:33 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 09:49 9 Aug 2020, Bruce said:
>
>> The US has lower standards with regards to just about everything than
>> the UK. If the UK wants a trade deal with the US to try and make up for
>> Brexit, they'll have to lower their standards to the US standards.
>> Wasn't that a problem and how has that ended?

>The Britain-America trade deal was due last month but now it's expected
>next year. There's not been any real public debate yet in the UK about
>chlorine washed meat or other American food production practises.
>
>When it's all over, if someone offers me a 10lb bag of chicken quarters
>for $3.90 I won't be buying it.
>
>We've had enough scares with condemned meat being re-introduced into the
>food chain.

I guess Johnson's standards aren't that high either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 09:29:56 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/6/2020 10:05 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Ribs and chicken smoked over post oak, sous vide cotc, charro beans
>> with burnt ends, and a small pink obelisk.
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/mPzGfLH7/d853465a
>>

> That looks like a very nice picnic type dinner.
>
>> It's been a pretty good food week so far - one meal a day, you might
>> as well do it right. Chefboyardee tomorrow for dinner - Lasagna or
>> spaghetti and meatballs?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Does Franco-American brand still exist? When I was a kid, Mom would buy
> canned Chef Boyardee spaghetti & meatballs. One day she bought the
> Franco-American brand. It contained a lot more "meatballs".

I think they were absorbed into Campbell's now.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I shot an 8 point buck with a rifle. A pump action Crosman 2100, 12
> pumps, loaded with a .177ca BB. The ****er just licked his haunch
> and laughed it off with a "pbbbbbbbt!".

Lol. No doubt unless maybe you could get an eye shot right
into the brain.

Q: Is the .177ca the same as bb size? I don't know.
I know they make pellets that size.

I've got a Crossman .22cal pump pellet rifle. 12-up to 20
pumps and that's a deadly weapon. It needs repair though.
The rubber seals that hold pressure have dried up and it
won't hold pressure anymore.

Some day, I like to get it fixed or fix it myself. Easiest
thing to do is take it to a gun shop and let them do the
work.

Same with my Co2 bb pistol....dried up seals
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Aug 10, , Gary wrote
(in article >):

> I've got a Crossman .22cal pump pellet rifle. 12-up to 20
> pumps and that's a deadly weapon. It needs repair though.
> The rubber seals that hold pressure have dried up and it
> won't hold pressure anymore.

I have one of those circa 1955 manufacture. I got in some trouble with it
while shooting cattle in a field when I was twelve. Two friends and I spent
an unpleasant hour or two at the sheriffs office with following corporal
punishment from our parents. I split the stock once, swinging at a mules
ass, because the mule wouldnt move. I used white glue for repair, and you
cant even tell.
Now it just sits in a gun case, a reminder of my misbegotten past.