FoodBanter.com

-   -   do you think cardamom is addictive? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/451673-do-you-think-cardamom.html)

songbird 01-08-2020 12:49 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

sometimes i think it really must be.

songbird

Julie Bove[_2_] 01-08-2020 01:38 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

"songbird" > wrote in message
> sometimes i think it really must be.
>

> songbird

No.

John Kuthe[_3_] 01-08-2020 01:42 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:26:08 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> sometimes i think it really must be.
>

> songbird

Can be! Any plant substance can be.

Tobacco for Nicotine, etc.

But not cannabis, because cannabis is NOT addictive, but can be habitual.

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

dsi1[_2_] 01-08-2020 01:44 AM

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 2:26:08 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> sometimes i think it really must be.
>

> songbird

Cardamom is a spice that I'm not too familiar with even though it's used in various curries popular in Hawaii. My Swedish step mom uses it a lot in baked goods. I don't ever use the stuff, unless it's in curry powder. It's one of the lesser know spices on this rock.

Bruce[_33_] 01-08-2020 02:18 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:44:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

dsi1[_2_] 01-08-2020 03:38 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 2:26:08 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> sometimes i think it really must be.
>

> songbird

My guess is that if you're Scandinavian or Indian or from some Middle Eastern countries, it could be. My Swedish step-mom might certainly be addicted to the stuff. I can't imagine her not making breads, rolls, or cookies without it. It's the taste of Scandinavia. Mostly, Americans don't use cardamom.. I've only used it one time in my life.

Bruce[_33_] 01-08-2020 03:44 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:38:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 2:26:08 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
>> sometimes i think it really must be.
>>

>> songbird

>My guess is that if you're Scandinavian or Indian or from some Middle Eastern countries, it could be. My Swedish step-mom might certainly be addicted to the stuff. I can't imagine her not making breads, rolls, or cookies without it. It's the taste of Scandinavia. Mostly, Americans don't use cardamom. I've only used it one time in my life.

The only time I had cardamom in bread, it was home made by an Anglo
Australian with a link to Slovakia. Beats me how I can turn that into
a blanket statement!

dsi1[_2_] 01-08-2020 04:41 AM

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 4:44:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:38:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 2:26:08 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> >> sometimes i think it really must be.
> >>

> >> songbird

> >My guess is that if you're Scandinavian or Indian or from some Middle Eastern countries, it could be. My Swedish step-mom might certainly be addicted to the stuff. I can't imagine her not making breads, rolls, or cookies without it. It's the taste of Scandinavia. Mostly, Americans don't use cardamom. I've only used it one time in my life.

> The only time I had cardamom in bread, it was home made by an Anglo
> Australian with a link to Slovakia. Beats me how I can turn that into
> a blanket statement!

My guess is that cardamom is not a popular spice where you reside. That's my blanket statement since you're too chicken to give your opinion on the matter.

Hank Rogers[_4_] 01-08-2020 04:49 AM

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 4:44:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:38:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> My guess is that if you're Scandinavian or Indian or from some Middle Eastern countries, it could be. My Swedish step-mom might certainly be addicted to the stuff. I can't imagine her not making breads, rolls, or cookies without it. It's the taste of Scandinavia. Mostly, Americans don't use cardamom. I've only used it one time in my life.

>> The only time I had cardamom in bread, it was home made by an Anglo
>> Australian with a link to Slovakia. Beats me how I can turn that into
>> a blanket statement!

> My guess is that cardamom is not a popular spice where you reside. That's my blanket statement since you're too chicken to give your opinion on the matter.

Pay no mind. Druce was just sniffing your ass.

Bruce[_33_] 01-08-2020 05:19 AM

do you think cardamom is addictive?

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:41:04 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 4:44:51 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:38:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >My guess is that if you're Scandinavian or Indian or from some Middle Eastern countries, it could be. My Swedish step-mom might certainly be addicted to the stuff. I can't imagine her not making breads, rolls, or cookies without it. It's the taste of Scandinavia. Mostly, Americans don't use cardamom. I've only used it one time in my life.

>> The only time I had cardamom in bread, it was home made by an Anglo
>> Australian with a link to Slovakia. Beats me how I can turn that into
>> a blanket statement!

>My guess is that cardamom is not a popular spice where you reside. That's my blanket statement since you're too chicken to give your opinion on the matter.

Lol, yes I'm too chicken to give my opinion on cardamom use in
Australia. It's a very sensitive matter, you know :)

songbird 01-08-2020 06:06 AM

Bruce wrote:
> Lol, yes I'm too chicken to give my opinion on cardamom use in
> Australia. It's a very sensitive matter, you know :)

haha, funny people...

my first time having it was in a Finnish bread from
a bakery in the college town. ever since then i've
enjoyed it. Turkish coffee, Indian curries, baked
goodies. i didn't know how much i was missing it until
recently when someone gave us some bread that included
some toasted cardamom bread.

songbird

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 01-08-2020 11:04 AM

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:26:08 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> sometimes i think it really must be.
>

> songbird

No. But it is a very enjoyable flavor. It makes a great addition
to either rice or bread pudding.

Cindy Hamilton

songbird 01-08-2020 12:07 PM

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:26:08 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
>> sometimes i think it really must be.

> No. But it is a very enjoyable flavor. It makes a great addition
> to either rice or bread pudding.

i think it is a very unusual flavor and that is one
reason i like it.

songbird

Graham 01-08-2020 02:38 PM

On 2020-08-01 4:04 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:26:08 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
>> sometimes i think it really must be.
>>

>> songbird

> No. But it is a very enjoyable flavor. It makes a great addition
> to either rice or bread pudding.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I used to have a very large jar of cardamom seeds (not pods) at least
150g. During a house move, my then wife put it in the garbage. That
wasn't the reason we eventually divorced.

GM 01-08-2020 04:00 PM

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:26:08 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> > sometimes i think it really must be.
> >

> > songbird

> Can be! Any plant substance can be.
>
> Tobacco for Nicotine, etc.
>
> But not cannabis, because cannabis is NOT addictive, but can be habitual.
>

> John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

In your case, John, cannabis is "habitually addictive"...

;-P

--
Best
Greg

notbob 04-08-2020 12:59 AM

On 2020-08-01, songbird > wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> No. But it is a very enjoyable flavor. It makes a great addition
>> to either rice or bread pudding.

> i think it is a very unusual flavor and that is one
> reason i like it.

It's pretty good in sweet things.

I put it in apple/fruit pies, n' most sweet things.

I usta buy a type of baklava at a Middle-Eastern (ME) store. I thought it
contained some kinda "essence of flower", which is real big in ME food.
Turns out it was black (dessicated, grn pod) cardamom.

I've become addicted! I always have some on hand. ;)

nb

songbird 04-08-2020 12:30 PM

notbob wrote:
> I usta buy a type of baklava at a Middle-Eastern (ME) store. I thought it
> contained some kinda "essence of flower", which is real big in ME food.
> Turns out it was black (dessicated, grn pod) cardamom.
>
> I've become addicted! I always have some on hand. ;)

i like it once in a while in a few things, but not in
everything. just as a change and a reminder.

Turkish Coffee
Nissua
some indian recipes

those are my three main uses.