Old 01-08-2020, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks
Janet US

Old 01-08-2020, 12:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:25:12 -0600, U.S. Janet B.
wrote:

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks
Janet US

Bean salads... 3 bean, 5 bean, however many beans.
They keep well for a while too.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks
Janet US

Bean salads... 3 bean, 5 bean, however many beans.
They keep well for a while too.

thank you. You're right, they do last for awhile in the fridge.
Janet US
Old 01-08-2020, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Janet B. wrote:

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks

I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...

Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...

You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots...

Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

--
Best
Greg

Old 01-08-2020, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2020 7:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks
Janet US

This is my favorite
INGREDIENTS
medium size head shredded green cabbage
2 grated carrots
1/2 diced green bell pepper (red good too)
2 tablespoons grated onion

2 cups mayonnaise
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix
together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

I use the grating blade of the food processor and get a fairly fine cut.
I let it sit for a good half hour. Then I put it in a bowl but squeeze
out much of the water from it.

Mix in the dressing and chill for a few hours or even overnight. I like
to make it the day before.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:55:18 -0700 (PDT), GM
wrote:

Janet B. wrote:

[...]

that sounds interesting. No tomatoes? Does it get watery sitting in
the brine? Do you brine the vegetables for a bit and then drain the
salad before adding the final bit of dressing?
Janet US
Old 01-08-2020, 06:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:26:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I can do this recipe. I have everything in the house. Whoops, no
bell pepper, need to get some.
Thanks
Janet US
Old 01-08-2020, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:25:20 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks
Janet US

My fav is Gunsmoke Slaw from _Vegetarian_Planet_ by Didi Emmons. But you'd better like heat (or just cut back on the chipotle in it).

Recipe is all over the 'net. (Great cookbook, BTW.)

--
Silvar Beitel
Old 01-08-2020, 01:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.

Not coleslaw but I often have a very basic salad mix of
- tomato
- onion
- cucumber

Additions:
- fresh corn cut off cob
- julienned carrot
- chopped hard boiled egg
- torn up slice of american cheese (mild cheddar)

All this lasts a good while in fridge. Can be eaten plain
or tossed with iceberg lettuce right before a meal.
I always add dressing of choice at meal time.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2020 1:47 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
[...]

Most times I don't have a bell pepper so just leave it out. Still good.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

Janet B. wrote:

[...]

I brine the veg for a bit and then remove with a slotted spoon to a container, keeps several weeks in the fridge...this is akin to a "corn relish" type of thing...and one could add some tomato piecces (pulp removed, natch)...or most anything else. Cauliflower might be good...a quick goog for "vegetable relish":

https://www.food.com/search/vegetable+relish

Many receipts for corn relish, here is one to start, simply forego the canning part if you wish - and you could even leave out the corn (I use frozen corn)...:

https://www.food.com/recipe/corn-rel...-canning-10711

CORN RELISH FOR CANNING

READY IN: 54mins
YIELD: 6 Pints
UNITS: US
INGREDIENTS
Nutrition
22
ears corn
1
cup chopped red bell pepper
1
cup chopped green bell pepper
1 14
cups chopped celery
34
cup chopped onion
1 12
cups sugar
2 12
cups distilled white vinegar
2
cups water
1
teaspoon salt
1
teaspoon celery seed
1 12
teaspoons mustard seeds
12
teaspoon ground turmeric

DIRECTIONS

Cook ears of corn in boiling salted water for 4 minutes.

Remove and plunge in ice water-strain-and cut corn from cob-you want 10 cups.
Combine corn with remaining ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 20 minutes.

Immediately pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space; seal.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath...'

/

Old 01-08-2020, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Ah, this is on my radar, thanks!

--
Best
Greg
Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

Janet B. wrote:

[...]

Here's a tomato version:

https://www.food.com/recipe/eight-ve...e-relish-94550

EIGHT VEGETABLE RELISH

READY IN: 2hrs 55mins

YIELD: 9 pints

UNITS: US

INGREDIENTS

2
quarts peeled cored chopped green tomatoes
1
quart peeled cored chopped ripe tomatoes
1
quart coarsely chopped cabbage
3
cups chopped onions
2
cups chopped celery
1
cup peeled and chopped cucumber
1
cup chopped green bell pepper
1
cup chopped red bell pepper
12
cup pickling salt
2
quarts vinegar
4
cups firmly packed brown sugar
1
tablespoon celery seed
1
tablespoon whole mustard seeds
1
tablespoon ground cinnamon
1
teaspoon ground ginger
12
teaspoon ground cloves
3
cloves garlic, minced

DIRECTIONS

Add the first 8 ingredients to a very large bowl; gently stir to combine.

Add pickling salt; stir to combine.

Cover and let sit in a cool place for 12-18 hours; drain well and set aside..

Add the remaining ingredients to a 10-quart stock pot; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.

Add in the vegetable mixture; simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.

Bring the mixture to a boil.

Immediately ladle relish into hot sterilized jars; leave 1/4 inch headspace..
Cover with lids and make sure bands are screwed on tightly.

Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Let cool..."

/

Old 01-08-2020, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.

Not coleslaw but I often have a very basic salad mix of
- tomato
- onion
- cucumber

Additions:
- fresh corn cut off cob
- julienned carrot
- chopped hard boiled egg
- torn up slice of american cheese (mild cheddar)

All this lasts a good while in fridge. Can be eaten plain
or tossed with iceberg lettuce right before a meal.
I always add dressing of choice at meal time.

Yup, very easy - AND don't fergit the BACON as an addition...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg
Old 01-08-2020, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Slaw

Half c mayo
Third c sugar
Quarter c milk
Quarter c buttermilk
2 and half lemon juice
1 and half tb vinegar
Half ts salt
Eighth ts pepper
8 c cabbage
Quarter c carrot.

You know the rest. This is close if not the same as KFC.

Made it a dozen times.

kfc cole slaw notbob General Cooking 6 20-12-2011 08:43 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Janis Lang Recipes (moderated) 0 27-06-2007 04:15 AM
KFC Cole Slaw Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2007 02:10 AM
Cole Slaw Lavannda L Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2005 04:26 AM
Cole Slaw [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 18-10-2003 03:14 AM