FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cole Slaw recipes? ISO (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/451672-cole-slaw-recipes-iso.html)

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 12:25 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
in the fridge for awhile.
Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
Thanks
Janet US

Sheldon Martin[_4_] 01-08-2020 12:38 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:25:12 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>in the fridge for awhile.
>Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>Thanks
>Janet US

Bean salads... 3 bean, 5 bean, however many beans.
They keep well for a while too.

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 01:10 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:38:32 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:25:12 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>>I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>>in the fridge for awhile.
>>Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>>Thanks
>>Janet US

>Bean salads... 3 bean, 5 bean, however many beans.
>They keep well for a while too.

thank you. You're right, they do last for awhile in the fridge.
Janet US

GM 01-08-2020 01:55 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Janet B. wrote:

> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> in the fridge for awhile.
> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> Thanks

I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...

Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...

You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots...

Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

--
Best
Greg

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 01-08-2020 02:26 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On 7/31/2020 7:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> in the fridge for awhile.
> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> Thanks
> Janet US

This is my favorite
INGREDIENTS
medium size head shredded green cabbage
2 grated carrots
1/2 diced green bell pepper (red good too)
2 tablespoons grated onion

2 cups mayonnaise
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix
together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.

I use the grating blade of the food processor and get a fairly fine cut.
I let it sit for a good half hour. Then I put it in a bowl but squeeze
out much of the water from it.

Mix in the dressing and chill for a few hours or even overnight. I like
to make it the day before.

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 06:44 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:55:18 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>> in the fridge for awhile.
>> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>> Thanks

>I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...
>
>Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...
>
>You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots...
>
>Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

that sounds interesting. No tomatoes? Does it get watery sitting in
the brine? Do you brine the vegetables for a bit and then drain the
salad before adding the final bit of dressing?
Janet US

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 06:47 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:26:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/31/2020 7:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>> in the fridge for awhile.
>> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>This is my favorite
>INGREDIENTS
>medium size head shredded green cabbage
>2 grated carrots
>1/2 diced green bell pepper (red good too)
>2 tablespoons grated onion
>
>2 cups mayonnaise
>3/4 cup sugar
>1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>1/4 cup cider vinegar
>2 tablespoons celery seeds
>1 teaspoon salt
>1/8 teaspoon white pepper
>INSTRUCTIONS
>Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix
>together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>

>I use the grating blade of the food processor and get a fairly fine cut.
> I let it sit for a good half hour. Then I put it in a bowl but squeeze
>out much of the water from it.
>
>Mix in the dressing and chill for a few hours or even overnight. I like
>to make it the day before.

I can do this recipe. I have everything in the house. Whoops, no
bell pepper, need to get some.
Thanks
Janet US

Silvar Beitel[_3_] 01-08-2020 12:41 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:25:20 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> in the fridge for awhile.
> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> Thanks
> Janet US

My fav is Gunsmoke Slaw from _Vegetarian_Planet_ by Didi Emmons. But you'd better like heat (or just cut back on the chipotle in it).

Recipe is all over the 'net. (Great cookbook, BTW.)

--
Silvar Beitel

Gary 01-08-2020 01:42 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> in the fridge for awhile.

Not coleslaw but I often have a very basic salad mix of
- tomato
- onion
- cucumber

Additions:
- fresh corn cut off cob
- julienned carrot
- chopped hard boiled egg
- torn up slice of american cheese (mild cheddar)

All this lasts a good while in fridge. Can be eaten plain
or tossed with iceberg lettuce right before a meal.
I always add dressing of choice at meal time.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 01-08-2020 02:21 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On 8/1/2020 1:47 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:26:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2020 7:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>>> in the fridge for awhile.
>>> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>>> Thanks
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> This is my favorite
>> INGREDIENTS
>> medium size head shredded green cabbage
>> 2 grated carrots
>> 1/2 diced green bell pepper (red good too)
>> 2 tablespoons grated onion
>>
>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>> 3/4 cup sugar
>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>> 2 tablespoons celery seeds
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
>> INSTRUCTIONS
>> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix
>> together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>>

>> I use the grating blade of the food processor and get a fairly fine cut.
>> I let it sit for a good half hour. Then I put it in a bowl but squeeze
>> out much of the water from it.
>>
>> Mix in the dressing and chill for a few hours or even overnight. I like
>> to make it the day before.

> I can do this recipe. I have everything in the house. Whoops, no
> bell pepper, need to get some.
> Thanks
> Janet US

Most times I don't have a bell pepper so just leave it out. Still good.

GM 01-08-2020 03:57 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:55:18 -0700 (PDT), GM
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> >> in the fridge for awhile.
> >> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> >> Thanks

> >I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...
> >
> >Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...
> >
> >You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots....
> >
> >Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

> that sounds interesting. No tomatoes? Does it get watery sitting in
> the brine? Do you brine the vegetables for a bit and then drain the
> salad before adding the final bit of dressing?

I brine the veg for a bit and then remove with a slotted spoon to a container, keeps several weeks in the fridge...this is akin to a "corn relish" type of thing...and one could add some tomato piecces (pulp removed, natch)...or most anything else. Cauliflower might be good...a quick goog for "vegetable relish":

https://www.food.com/search/vegetable+relish

Many receipts for corn relish, here is one to start, simply forego the canning part if you wish - and you could even leave out the corn (I use frozen corn)...:

https://www.food.com/recipe/corn-rel...-canning-10711

CORN RELISH FOR CANNING

READY IN: 54mins
YIELD: 6 Pints
UNITS: US
INGREDIENTS
Nutrition
22
ears corn
1
cup chopped red bell pepper
1
cup chopped green bell pepper
1 14
cups chopped celery
34
cup chopped onion
1 12
cups sugar
2 12
cups distilled white vinegar
2
cups water
1
teaspoon salt
1
teaspoon celery seed
1 12
teaspoons mustard seeds
12
teaspoon ground turmeric

DIRECTIONS

Cook ears of corn in boiling salted water for 4 minutes.

Remove and plunge in ice water-strain-and cut corn from cob-you want 10 cups.
Combine corn with remaining ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 20 minutes.

Immediately pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space; seal.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath...'

</>

GM 01-08-2020 03:58 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 7/31/2020 7:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> > in the fridge for awhile.
> > Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> > Thanks
> > Janet US
> >

> This is my favorite
> INGREDIENTS
> medium size head shredded green cabbage
> 2 grated carrots
> 1/2 diced green bell pepper (red good too)
> 2 tablespoons grated onion
>
> 2 cups mayonnaise
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons celery seeds
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
> INSTRUCTIONS
> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix
> together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>

> I use the grating blade of the food processor and get a fairly fine cut.
> I let it sit for a good half hour. Then I put it in a bowl but squeeze
> out much of the water from it.
>
> Mix in the dressing and chill for a few hours or even overnight. I like
> to make it the day before.

Ah, this is on my radar, thanks!

--
Best
Greg

GM 01-08-2020 04:11 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:55:18 -0700 (PDT), GM
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> >> in the fridge for awhile.
> >> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> >> Thanks

> >I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...
> >
> >Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...
> >
> >You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots....
> >
> >Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

> that sounds interesting. No tomatoes? Does it get watery sitting in
> the brine? Do you brine the vegetables for a bit and then drain the
> salad before adding the final bit of dressing?
> Janet US

Here's a tomato version:

https://www.food.com/recipe/eight-ve...e-relish-94550

EIGHT VEGETABLE RELISH

READY IN: 2hrs 55mins

YIELD: 9 pints

UNITS: US

INGREDIENTS

2
quarts peeled cored chopped green tomatoes
1
quart peeled cored chopped ripe tomatoes
1
quart coarsely chopped cabbage
3
cups chopped onions
2
cups chopped celery
1
cup peeled and chopped cucumber
1
cup chopped green bell pepper
1
cup chopped red bell pepper
12
cup pickling salt
2
quarts vinegar
4
cups firmly packed brown sugar
1
tablespoon celery seed
1
tablespoon whole mustard seeds
1
tablespoon ground cinnamon
1
teaspoon ground ginger
12
teaspoon ground cloves
3
cloves garlic, minced

DIRECTIONS

Add the first 8 ingredients to a very large bowl; gently stir to combine.

Add pickling salt; stir to combine.

Cover and let sit in a cool place for 12-18 hours; drain well and set aside..

Add the remaining ingredients to a 10-quart stock pot; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.

Add in the vegetable mixture; simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.

Bring the mixture to a boil.

Immediately ladle relish into hot sterilized jars; leave 1/4 inch headspace..
Cover with lids and make sure bands are screwed on tightly.

Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Let cool..."

</>

GM 01-08-2020 04:12 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Gary wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> > in the fridge for awhile.

> Not coleslaw but I often have a very basic salad mix of
> - tomato
> - onion
> - cucumber
>
> Additions:
> - fresh corn cut off cob
> - julienned carrot
> - chopped hard boiled egg
> - torn up slice of american cheese (mild cheddar)
>
> All this lasts a good while in fridge. Can be eaten plain
> or tossed with iceberg lettuce right before a meal.
> I always add dressing of choice at meal time.

Yup, very easy - AND don't fergit the BACON as an addition...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Thomas[_8_] 01-08-2020 04:42 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Slaw

Half c mayo
Third c sugar
Quarter c milk
Quarter c buttermilk
2 and half lemon juice
1 and half tb vinegar
Half ts salt
Eighth ts pepper
8 c cabbage
Quarter c carrot.

You know the rest. This is close if not the same as KFC.

Made it a dozen times.

[email protected] 01-08-2020 04:48 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On 7/31/20 at 5:25 p.m. -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately.

And that's for nutrition. Remember all those 70's shows, commercials and magazine articles showing Arnold Schwarzenegger eating big bowls of salad?

dsi1[_2_] 01-08-2020 05:05 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 5:48:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On 7/31/20 at 5:25 p.m. -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately.

> And that's for nutrition. Remember all those 70's shows, commercials and magazine articles showing Arnold Schwarzenegger eating big bowls of salad?

This is what I had last night. What I'd really like is a loco moco.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qsAS4m5UxRGHw8

[email protected][_2_] 01-08-2020 05:30 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 10:48:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> On 7/31/20 at 5:25 p.m. -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately.

> And that's for nutrition. Remember all those 70's shows, commercials and magazine articles showing Arnold Schwarzenegger eating big bowls of salad?

And?

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 05:32 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 08:11:00 -0700 (PDT), GM
> [...]

>1
>teaspoon ground ginger
>1?2
>teaspoon ground cloves
>3
>cloves garlic, minced
>
>DIRECTIONS
>
>Add the first 8 ingredients to a very large bowl; gently stir to combine.
>
>Add pickling salt; stir to combine.
>
>Cover and let sit in a cool place for 12-18 hours; drain well and set aside.
>
>Add the remaining ingredients to a 10-quart stock pot; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
>
>Add in the vegetable mixture; simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
>
>Bring the mixture to a boil.
>
>Immediately ladle relish into hot sterilized jars; leave 1/4 inch headspace.
>Cover with lids and make sure bands are screwed on tightly.
>
>Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

thank you. My mother canned something like the above. I may try that
when it gets cooler.
Janet US

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 01-08-2020 05:38 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:05:22 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 5:48:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > On 7/31/20 at 5:25 p.m. -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > >
> > >I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately.

> > And that's for nutrition. Remember all those 70's shows, commercials and magazine articles showing Arnold Schwarzenegger eating big bowls of salad?

> This is what I had last night. What I'd really like is a loco moco.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qsAS4m5UxRGHw8

I'd much rather have what you had last night. It looked delicious.

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 05:41 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:41:57 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:25:20 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>> in the fridge for awhile.
>> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>> Thanks
>> Janet US

>My fav is Gunsmoke Slaw from _Vegetarian_Planet_ by Didi Emmons. But you'd better like heat (or just cut back on the chipotle in it).
>
>Recipe is all over the 'net. (Great cookbook, BTW.)

thanks. I like the whole dressing except for the amount of chipotle
peppers. I have the pepper powdered, that will give me better
control.
thanks again
Janet US

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 05:49 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 08:42:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>> in the fridge for awhile.

>Not coleslaw but I often have a very basic salad mix of
>- tomato
>- onion
>- cucumber
>
>Additions:
>- fresh corn cut off cob
>- julienned carrot
>- chopped hard boiled egg
>- torn up slice of american cheese (mild cheddar)
>
>All this lasts a good while in fridge. Can be eaten plain
>or tossed with iceberg lettuce right before a meal.
>I always add dressing of choice at meal time.

I do too :) I usually slice and wedge the veggies about an hour
before dinner and then splash them with garlic, salt and pepper and
red wine vinegar. To me, this is lip smackin' good.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 05:50 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 08:42:04 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>Slaw
>
>Half c mayo
>Third c sugar
>Quarter c milk
>Quarter c buttermilk
>2 and half lemon juice
>1 and half tb vinegar
>Half ts salt
>Eighth ts pepper
>8 c cabbage
>Quarter c carrot.
>
>You know the rest. This is close if not the same as KFC.
>
>Made it a dozen times.

thank you, Yes, I know the rest.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B. 01-08-2020 05:52 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 09:05:18 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 5:48:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On 7/31/20 at 5:25 p.m. -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> >
>> >I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately.

>> And that's for nutrition. Remember all those 70's shows, commercials and magazine articles showing Arnold Schwarzenegger eating big bowls of salad?

>This is what I had last night. What I'd really like is a loco moco.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qsAS4m5UxRGHw8

Thank you.

dsi1[_2_] 01-08-2020 05:55 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:38:22 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:05:22 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > And that's for nutrition. Remember all those 70's shows, commercials and magazine articles showing Arnold Schwarzenegger eating big bowls of salad?

> > This is what I had last night. What I'd really like is a loco moco.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qsAS4m5UxRGHw8

> I'd much rather have what you had last night. It looked delicious.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I could kill for a loco moco right now. Unfortunately, I'll probably have some coffee and a protein bar. So sad.

https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...co-Moco-03.jpg

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 01-08-2020 05:58 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:55:41 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:38:22 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > This is what I had last night. What I'd really like is a loco moco.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...qsAS4m5UxRGHw8

> > I'd much rather have what you had last night. It looked delicious.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I could kill for a loco moco right now. Unfortunately, I'll probably have some coffee and a protein bar. So sad.
>
> https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...co-Moco-03.jpg

It's 7 am where you are. A little early for loco moco.

You could have coffee and real food.

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 01-08-2020 08:38 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Real food as opposed to what? Table decorations.

Sheldon Martin[_4_] 01-08-2020 09:01 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 09:21:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 8/1/2020 1:47 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> This is my favorite
>>> INGREDIENTS
>>> medium size head shredded green cabbage
>>> 2 grated carrots
>>> 1/2 diced green bell pepper (red good too)
>>> 2 tablespoons grated onion
>>>
>>> 2 cups mayonnaise
>>> 3/4 cup sugar
>>> 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
>>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
>>> 2 tablespoons celery seeds
>>> 1 teaspoon salt
>>> 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
>>> INSTRUCTIONS
>>> Mix vegetables in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients in another. Mix
>>> together and toss well. Cover and refrigerate 3-4 hours.
>>>

>>> I use the grating blade of the food processor and get a fairly fine cut.
>>> I let it sit for a good half hour. Then I put it in a bowl but squeeze
>>> out much of the water from it.
>>>
>>> Mix in the dressing and chill for a few hours or even overnight. I like
>>> to make it the day before.

>> I can do this recipe. I have everything in the house. Whoops, no
>> bell pepper, need to get some.
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>Most times I don't have a bell pepper so just leave it out. Still good.

That's why it's smart to keep a jar of dehy bell pepper in the
cupboard. People buy fresh peppers and in about a week they turn to
mush... dehys keep well for many years... and rehydrate in minutes. I
rarely buy bell peppers, in seasson I have plenty in my garden, during
winter I use dehys.

[email protected][_2_] 01-08-2020 09:10 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2:38:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Real food as opposed to what? Table decorations.

Who are you replying to or are you just making a statement?

dsi1[_2_] 01-08-2020 09:18 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:58:45 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:55:41 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I'd much rather have what you had last night. It looked delicious.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I could kill for a loco moco right now. Unfortunately, I'll probably have some coffee and a protein bar. So sad.
> >
> > https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...co-Moco-03.jpg

> It's 7 am where you are. A little early for loco moco.
>
> You could have coffee and real food.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I mostly eat loco moco for breakfast. I have to admit that it's kind of a gut bomb. I feel just great while eating it though. I think most people will eat a loco moco for lunch. That's fine too. Mostly it's breakfast or lunch fare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6oisfv2Euc

Bruce[_33_] 01-08-2020 09:22 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:10:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2:38:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Real food as opposed to what? Table decorations.
>>

>Who are you replying to or are you just making a statement?

Maybe he uses the mobile Google Groups interface, which doesn't have a
quote feature, apparently. Such brilliant design! Must be popular in
Hawaii!

Hank Rogers[_4_] 02-08-2020 01:01 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:10:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2:38:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> Real food as opposed to what? Table decorations.
>>>

>> Who are you replying to or are you just making a statement?

> Maybe he uses the mobile Google Groups interface, which doesn't have a
> quote feature, apparently. Such brilliant design! Must be popular in
> Hawaii!

Americans and especially hawaiians are so ****ing stupid!

Most australians are not very bright either. But you take a goddamn
dutchman, why, he's smarter than gawd. Even the shittiest dutch
butt sniffers are far superior to any other humans. I believe we
have one here.

Hank Rogers[_4_] 02-08-2020 01:04 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:10:58 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2:38:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> Real food as opposed to what? Table decorations.
>>>

>> Who are you replying to or are you just making a statement?

> Maybe he uses the mobile Google Groups interface, which doesn't have a
> quote feature, apparently. Such brilliant design! Must be popular in
> Hawaii!

<*SNIFF*>

Sqwertz[_53_] 02-08-2020 08:29 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:25:12 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> in the fridge for awhile.
> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> Thanks
> Janet US

I don't do recipes, but I make a minimal slaw by salting the cabbage
first for two hours, then rinsing and pressing out extra water. Add
grated carrot and chopped onion. Mayo just enough to set it, rice
wine vinegar or lemon juice, celery salt, and 3-4 TB of buttermilk
and 2-3 TB sugar per half head of cabbage.

Then my secret: either fresh grated horseradish activated with water
then fixed with vinegar a few minutes later and/or horseradish oil
to taste. The horseradish is pronounced in mine. Cabbage,
horseradish,a nd mustard has been suspected of preventing the virus
from reproducing, but I've been doing this since pre-coronavirus.
[And I've never gotten it so it must work! <cough>]

I make a batch about every 4-6 weeks and use it for topping hot dogs
and sausage, especially.

-sw

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 02-08-2020 11:38 AM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 3:38:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Real food as opposed to what? Table decorations.

As opposed to some crappy protein bar.

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B. 02-08-2020 12:39 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 02:29:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:25:12 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>> in the fridge for awhile.
>> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>> Thanks
>> Janet US

>I don't do recipes, but I make a minimal slaw by salting the cabbage
>first for two hours, then rinsing and pressing out extra water. Add
>grated carrot and chopped onion. Mayo just enough to set it, rice
>wine vinegar or lemon juice, celery salt, and 3-4 TB of buttermilk
>and 2-3 TB sugar per half head of cabbage.
>
>Then my secret: either fresh grated horseradish activated with water
>then fixed with vinegar a few minutes later and/or horseradish oil
>to taste. The horseradish is pronounced in mine. Cabbage,
>horseradish,a nd mustard has been suspected of preventing the virus
>from reproducing, but I've been doing this since pre-coronavirus.
>[And I've never gotten it so it must work! <cough>]
>
>I make a batch about every 4-6 weeks and use it for topping hot dogs
>and sausage, especially.
>
>-sw

thank you. good approach to salt and drain first.
Janet US

Sqwertz[_53_] 02-08-2020 03:33 PM

Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 05:39:25 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 02:29:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> thank you. good approach to salt and drain first.
> Janet US

Otherwise the slaw gets too watery, especially if you use
buttermilk. You can make it too dry and the cabbage leathery, so
don't salt too long.

-sw