Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Got a good potato salad recipe? Share please?

I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
Will you share yours?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2020 7:23 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
> Will you share yours?
> Janet US

Ours was always simple. Potatoes boiled with jacket on. Then peeled,
cut, and dressed while a bit warm.

A bit of chopped onion, celery, bell pepper. Mayo with salt and pepper
for the dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:23:12 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
> Will you share yours?
> Janet US

The potato salad that I make is totally awesome. Some people think it's the best potato salad they've ever had.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-potato-salad/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:46:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:23:12 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>> Will you share yours?
>> Janet US

>The potato salad that I make is totally awesome. Some people think it's the best potato salad they've ever had.

Let me guess: they've only ever had one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:46:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:23:12 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>>> Will you share yours?
>>> Janet US

>> The potato salad that I make is totally awesome. Some people think it's the best potato salad they've ever had.

> Let me guess: they've only ever had one?

<*SNIFF*>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 6:20:30 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:46:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:23:12 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
> >> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
> >> Will you share yours?
> >> Janet US

> >The potato salad that I make is totally awesome. Some people think it's the best potato salad they've ever had.

> Let me guess: they've only ever had one?

Yoose needs to brush up on your guessing skills.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared..._2d2-ipWScFu3E
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:46:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:23:12 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>> Will you share yours?
>> Janet US

>The potato salad that I make is totally awesome. Some people think it's the best potato salad they've ever had.
>
>https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-potato-salad/

It looks good and everything tastes better with mayo. Mayo is the real
ketchup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 20:46:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 1:23:12 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>> Will you share yours?
>> Janet US

>The potato salad that I make is totally awesome. Some people think it's the best potato salad they've ever had.
>
>https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-potato-salad/

that potato salad is quite attractive and eye catching. My mother
always had the leftover mashed potatoes for herself. She would mix
them with vinegar, chopped onion and whatever vegetable was available.
I always thought it was just a way to use leftovers but she really
enjoyed it. No Japanese descent, she was straight German background.
Apparently people across the world sometimes think alike. Thank you
for the recipe.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:13:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 7/31/2020 7:23 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>> Will you share yours?
>> Janet US
>>

>Ours was always simple. Potatoes boiled with jacket on. Then peeled,
>cut, and dressed while a bit warm.
>
>A bit of chopped onion, celery, bell pepper. Mayo with salt and pepper
>for the dressing.

Thank you, I will try it that way. I made something similar last
week. The dressing had a bit of vinegar.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:43:28 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

what about olives in the salad?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
> Will you share yours?
> Janet US

Metzger's Potato Salad

2 lb potatoes
3/4 C beef stock
1/2 C minced onion
1/2 C vinegar
1/4 C oil
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
parsley

Cook potatoes and slice. Combine all ingredients. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 03:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

>My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
>I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> >bruce2 wrote:
> >> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french
> >> fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

> >My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
> >I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

> I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
like? You can always make 2 versions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

> My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
> I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

green or black olives?

here green olives are standard in potato salad.

my own preference is that i do like both sweet and
dill pickle chunks along with the olives, but it is
really busy then. sometimes i prefer simple and none
of those three are added.

chopped raw onions, potatoes, boiled eggs and celery
along with the dressing is the most basic version. the
dressing is usually a mix of mostly mayo, some honey,
and a bit of mustard. i don't like celery seed in it.

i also don't really like cheese in it, but some
people do that (and i've had it where someone put
chunks of cream cheese in it which was different).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 06:57:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> >My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
>> >I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

>> I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

>Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
>like? You can always make 2 versions.

Is it too much effort?
Is it important to me?

But then you could always put a jar of olives on the table and have at
it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 06:57:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:

> >> I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

> >Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
> >like? You can always make 2 versions.

> Is it too much effort?
> Is it important to me?
>
> But then you could always put a jar of olives on the table and have at
> it!

That would do it. Same with Sheldon that can't eat his beloved
onions since his wife hates them. He could always add some to
his own plate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 07:21:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
>> >like? You can always make 2 versions.

>> Is it too much effort?
>> Is it important to me?
>>
>> But then you could always put a jar of olives on the table and have at
>> it!

>That would do it. Same with Sheldon that can't eat his beloved
>onions since his wife hates them. He could always add some to
>his own plate.

Yes, I'd really miss onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
> Will you share yours?
> Janet US

My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719

Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:46:25 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 03:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

> >My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
> >I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

> I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

That is indeed one of the "people".

Sometimes I add a few sliced olives to my serving, but it isn't
really the same as when they're melded into the salad.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2020 4:14 AM, songbird wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

>> My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
>> I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

> green or black olives?
>
> here green olives are standard in potato salad.

we always did black, either sliced or chopped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
> Will you share yours?
> Janet US

Oh, yeah. For a different take on potato salad, I really like this one:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/po...d-radish-salad

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use canned baby potatos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 10:45:24 AM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

> I use canned baby potatos.

UGH, why?

To _me_ potatoes are one of those vegetables that do not turn out
well when canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 03:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

>My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
>I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I don't do potato salad that way but I do it with a macaroni salad.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:57:06 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 03:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

> >My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
> >I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I don't do potato salad that way but I do it with a macaroni salad.
> Janet US

Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
potato-macaroni salad. No idea why.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>> Will you share yours?
>> Janet US

>My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
>https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719
>
>Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 12:15:45 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> > wrote:
>
> >My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
> >https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719
> >
> >Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

> I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
> Janet US

My mother did this one, too; it's ok.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 12:15PM, UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> > wrote:
>
> >My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
> >https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719
> >
> >Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

> I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
> Janet US

Ha! Sounds like a British Pub. Potatoes and vinegar now, who's going to bring in the fried fish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020, 4:14 AM, songbird wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>>> I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

>> My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
>> I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

> green or black olives?
>
> here green olives are standard in potato salad.

I've never had potatoe salad with olives already there. I always had to have green, on the side, out of a jar. Black usually comes with pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 4:47:12 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> A friend of my wife used to use them to make roasted potatoes. It was
> mainly for the aesthetics because they were all nice and round and equal
> sized. They looked nice, but still ... canned potatoes.

Shhhhhhudder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 4:51:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:48:00 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >A friend of my wife

> Stop. A typical Dave Smith post.

You have no friends? Pity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 15:09:05 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 4:47:12 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> A friend of my wife used to use them to make roasted potatoes. It was
>> mainly for the aesthetics because they were all nice and round and equal
>> sized. They looked nice, but still ... canned potatoes.
>>

>Shhhhhhudder.

Canned potatoes are the most disgusting food on the planet... I've
eaten them once in my life and I don't consider them food.
WTF is so difficult about boiling a few spuds, easier than opening a
can.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 4:51:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:48:00 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >A friend of my wife

>> Stop. A typical Dave Smith post.

>You have no friends?

Me, either. Boo-boo, by the way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 15:09:56 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 4:51:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:48:00 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >A friend of my wife

>> Stop. A typical Dave Smith post.
>>

>You have no friends? Pity.

His next post will be about the broccoli that the mother of his wife's
friend's niece bought. Soon in this theater!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:08:51 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> His next post will be about the broccoli that the mother of his wife's
> friend's niece bought. Soon in this theater!

Well, my niece makes a fantastic broccoli casserole. Just saying......