Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Got a good potato salad recipe? Share please?

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 15:09:05 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 4:47:12 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> A friend of my wife used to use them to make roasted potatoes. It was
>>> mainly for the aesthetics because they were all nice and round and equal
>>> sized. They looked nice, but still ... canned potatoes.
>>>

>> Shhhhhhudder.

> Canned potatoes are the most disgusting food on the planet... I've
> eaten them once in my life and I don't consider them food.
> WTF is so difficult about boiling a few spuds, easier than opening a
> can.

Same can be said for canned beans Popeye. Yoose can boil a pot of
beans instead of eating canned crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 12:15PM, UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> > wrote:
>
> >My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
> >https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719
> >
> >Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a
> >little more time to soak up the vinegar.

> I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
> Janet US

Ha! Sounds like a British Pub. Potatoes and vinegar now, who's going to
bring in the fried fish?

====

but the potatoes need to be cut into batons and fried <g We call them chips
you know

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
> potato-macaroni salad. No idea why.

It *is* a tasty mix. I've never made either but have bought
both separately. I usually buy "Mrs.Kinser's" brand. They taste
good and come in 24oz containers with lids which are good
for storing frozen food later.

And I usually buy both at the same time. Near end of containers,
I've mixed them together and it's a good combo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Two starches though?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> but the potatoes need to be cut into batons and fried <g We call them chips
> you know

Hence the name: 'Chippers' instead of pub? I've read here how you can order a chip sandwich... chip buddies or chip butties? With beef gravy, instead of the vinegar though, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:
> but the potatoes need to be cut into batons and fried <g We call them
> chips
> you know

Hence the name: 'Chippers' instead of pub? I've read here how you can order
a chip sandwich... chip buddies or chip butties? With beef gravy, instead
of the vinegar though, right?

====

Hmmm ... Chippers instead of pub?? No, not heard that one. Chip butties
yes, but not buddies. I always, have vinegar but never had them with gravy,
but who knows what others prefer

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

So much for hearsay from me, here in the wild frontier. Though Ophelia, it is increasingly built up here in the states now, in general.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

So much for hearsay from me, here in the wild frontier. Though Ophelia, it
is increasingly built up here in the states now, in general.

====

Don't let is bother you)) Keep running them by me and I will tell you
what *I* know))

I am very sure there is stuff I don't know))

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Aug 1, , Cindy Hamilton wrote
(in >)

> Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
> potato-macaroni salad. No idea why.

One bowl.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Aug 1 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
> potato-macaroni salad.

What a horrid texture combo.

>No idea why.

Both afflicted with TIAD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 8:59:23 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On 2020 Aug 1 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
> > potato-macaroni salad.

> What a horrid texture combo.
>
> >No idea why.

> Both afflicted with TIAD!

I won't argue with you on that point. I still shudder when I think
about whitefish coated in cornflake crumbs and pan fried.

Cindy H amilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On 2020 Aug 1 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
>> potato-macaroni salad.

> What a horrid texture combo.
>
>> No idea why.

> Both afflicted with TIAD!

Why? Is it because it's not from a kosher jewish deli?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 3:05:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 8:59:23 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On 2020 Aug 1 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
> > > potato-macaroni salad.

> > What a horrid texture combo.
> >
> > >No idea why.

> > Both afflicted with TIAD!

> I won't argue with you on that point. I still shudder when I think
> about whitefish coated in cornflake crumbs and pan fried.
>
> Cindy H amilton

Potato/mac salad is my favorite salad. Unfortunately, most places around here are too lazy to make it. I have some frozen tilapia that breaded with a crispy coating. The outside is crispy and the inside is mushy/pasty. I certainly have a problem with that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On 2020 Aug 1 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
> > potato-macaroni salad.

> What a horrid texture combo.

It's very popular in Hawaii to do that. It falls in the 'home comfort
food' set.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/sala...npotatomac.htm

It's very simple stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I mOn Sat, 01 Aug 2020 11:15:36 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
>>> I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
>>> Will you share yours?
>>> Janet US

>>My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
>>https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719
>>
>>Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

>I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
>Janet US

I made this potato salad today. Overall it is good. IMO though there
is not enough vinegar to penatrate the potatoes. After the salad was
prepared I added a tablespoon of pickle juice. Otherwise there is
plenty of crunchies mixed with the potatoes, which is a good thing.
Thanks for the recipe. I will make it again in next year's rotation.
Janet US