Old 01-08-2020, 12:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Got a good potato salad recipe? Share please?

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

green or black olives?

here green olives are standard in potato salad.

my own preference is that i do like both sweet and
dill pickle chunks along with the olives, but it is
really busy then. sometimes i prefer simple and none
of those three are added.

chopped raw onions, potatoes, boiled eggs and celery
along with the dressing is the most basic version. the
dressing is usually a mix of mostly mayo, some honey,
and a bit of mustard. i don't like celery seed in it.

i also don't really like cheese in it, but some
people do that (and i've had it where someone put
chunks of cream cheese in it which was different).

songbird

Old 01-08-2020, 12:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 06:57:36 -0400, Gary wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

bruce2 wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french
fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
like? You can always make 2 versions.

Is it too much effort?
Is it important to me?

But then you could always put a jar of olives on the table and have at
it!
Old 01-08-2020, 12:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

bruce2 wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french
fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
like? You can always make 2 versions.

Is it too much effort?
Is it important to me?

But then you could always put a jar of olives on the table and have at
it!

That would do it. Same with Sheldon that can't eat his beloved
onions since his wife hates them. He could always add some to
his own plate.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

bruce2 wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french
fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

Why would you let a spouse stop you from eating what you
like? You can always make 2 versions.

Is it too much effort?
Is it important to me?

But then you could always put a jar of olives on the table and have at
it!

That would do it. Same with Sheldon that can't eat his beloved
onions since his wife hates them. He could always add some to
his own plate.

Yes, I'd really miss onions.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
Will you share yours?
Janet US

My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719

Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

--
Silvar Beitel

Old 01-08-2020, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 6:46:25 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 03:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

I wouldn't let "people" stop me, unless I'm married to them.

That is indeed one of the "people".

Sometimes I add a few sliced olives to my serving, but it isn't
really the same as when they're melded into the salad.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 01-08-2020, 02:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2020 4:14 AM, songbird wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

green or black olives?

here green olives are standard in potato salad.

we always did black, either sliced or chopped.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
Will you share yours?
Janet US

Oh, yeah. For a different take on potato salad, I really like this one:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/po...d-radish-salad

--
Silvar Beitel
Old 01-08-2020, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I use canned baby potatos.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 10:45:24 AM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

I use canned baby potatos.

UGH, why?

To _me_ potatoes are one of those vegetables that do not turn out
well when canned.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't do potato salad that way but I do it with a macaroni salad.
Janet US
Old 01-08-2020, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:43:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I love any kind of potato salad (or even a side of french fries) as long as there is a side of plenty of cut olives (with pimentos).

My mother and grandmother put sliced olives in their potato salad.
I find that people think that's weird, so I don't.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't do potato salad that way but I do it with a macaroni salad.
Janet US

Actually, both my mother and grandmother always made combined
potato-macaroni salad. No idea why.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Silvar Beitel
wrote:

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 7:23:12 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I've been running through potato salad recipes this last couple weeks.
I'm looking for different approaches to this hot weather staple.
Will you share yours?
Janet US

My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719

Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
Janet US
Old 01-08-2020, 06:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719

Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
Janet US

My mother did this one, too; it's ok.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

My fav is All American Potato Salad from Cook's Illustrated:
https://www.food.com/recipe/cooks-al...o-salad-210719

Works well with less-floury potatoes than Russetts too. Just give them a little more time to soak up the vinegar.

I'd forgotten about that one.My MIL does this one.
Janet US

Ha! Sounds like a British Pub. Potatoes and vinegar now, who's going to bring in the fried fish?