Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potatoes and onions

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> > ===
> >
> > <g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen
> > The
> > only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!
> >
> > Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
> > battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??
> >
> > I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
> > doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely risen
> > and crisp batter)

> Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly mahimahi.
> These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there will
> be none left.
>
> I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
> Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They have
> to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry the
> fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
> least for now.
>
> Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new tortoise
> and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
>
> Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
> tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
>

> Beautiful))

My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 10:06:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise.
>> > It
>> > seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi
>> > last
>> > night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and
>> > sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer.
>> > My
>> > son
>> > is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think
>> > I'll
>> > cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

>> > ===
>> >
>> > <g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen
>> > The
>> > only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!
>> >
>> > Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
>> > battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??
>> >
>> > I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
>> > doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely
>> > risen
>> > and crisp batter)

>> Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly
>> mahimahi.
>> These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there
>> will
>> be none left.
>>
>> I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
>> Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They
>> have
>> to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry
>> the
>> fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
>> least for now.
>>
>> Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
>> tortoise
>> and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
>>
>> Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
>> tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
>>

>> Beautiful))

> My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
> animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A

---

Maybe that's why ours died. My dad fed it cut up worms!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:32:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> >> Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly
> >> mahimahi.
> >> These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there
> >> will
> >> be none left.
> >>
> >> I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
> >> Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They
> >> have
> >> to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry
> >> the
> >> fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
> >> least for now.
> >>
> >> Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
> >> tortoise
> >> and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
> >>
> >> Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
> >> tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
> >>

> >> Beautiful))

> > My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
> > animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A

> ---
>
> Maybe that's why ours died. My dad fed it cut up worms!

I don't know nothing about feeding no turtles or tortoises. My friend has a colony of them. They just congregate around his house. I suspect that there some kind of magnetic abnormality around his house.

He feeds the tortoises the diet I described. I think he feeds the turtles pellet food. Oddly enough, the turtles have pretty good eyesight. They'll just jump in the water when they see me coming.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:32:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> > > My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
> > > animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A

> > ---
> >
> > Maybe that's why ours died. My dad fed it cut up worms!

> I don't know nothing about feeding no turtles or tortoises. My friend has a colony of them. They just congregate around his house. I suspect that there some kind of magnetic abnormality around his house.
>
> He feeds the tortoises the diet I described. I think he feeds the turtles pellet food. Oddly enough, the turtles have pretty good eyesight. They'll just jump in the water when they see me coming.

Snapping turtles do that. Often seen up on a log in the water.
Come too close and they drop right off and disappear quickly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They
> have
> to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry
> the
> fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
> least for now.
>
> Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
> tortoise
> and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
>
> Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
> tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
>

> Beautiful))

My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!

Awww) Do you think these animals know their owners?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 10:06:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise.
>> > It
>> > seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi
>> > last
>> > night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and
>> > sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer.
>> > My
>> > son
>> > is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think
>> > I'll
>> > cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

>> > ===
>> >
>> > <g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen
>> > The
>> > only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!
>> >
>> > Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
>> > battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??
>> >
>> > I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
>> > doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely
>> > risen
>> > and crisp batter)

>> Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly
>> mahimahi.
>> These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there
>> will
>> be none left.
>>
>> I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
>> Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They
>> have
>> to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry
>> the
>> fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
>> least for now.
>>
>> Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
>> tortoise
>> and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
>>
>> Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
>> tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
>>

>> Beautiful))

> My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
> animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A

---

Maybe that's why ours died. My dad fed it cut up worms!

===

Aww what a shame I wouldn't have a clue ((

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 1:32:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> >> Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly
> >> mahimahi.
> >> These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there
> >> will
> >> be none left.
> >>
> >> I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
> >> Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They
> >> have
> >> to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry
> >> the
> >> fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed -
> >> at
> >> least for now.
> >>
> >> Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
> >> tortoise
> >> and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
> >>
> >> Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
> >> tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
> >>

> >> Beautiful))

> > My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat
> > small
> > animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A

> ---
>
> Maybe that's why ours died. My dad fed it cut up worms!

I don't know nothing about feeding no turtles or tortoises. My friend has a
colony of them. They just congregate around his house. I suspect that there
some kind of magnetic abnormality around his house.

He feeds the tortoises the diet I described. I think he feeds the turtles
pellet food. Oddly enough, the turtles have pretty good eyesight. They'll
just jump in the water when they see me coming.

===

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:47:20 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:45:16 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Someone who gets those produce boxes delivered gave my brother two full
>>> boxes. They were going away and couldn't use it all up. Now I have a ton
>>> of
>>> potatoes and onions. Angela has the same. She took some other things. Not
>>> sure what they'll do with all the broccoli. Now... What to do with them?
>>> They are russet potatoes and yellow onions. I do have a pot roast in the
>>> freezer. I could get some more carrots and make that since our weather is
>>> turning cooler. I love free food!

>> You let them go bad just like all the other crap you buy and never
>> eat. At least this stuff came from a food bank so you didn't have to
>> shop the Internet and pay for it.

> It didn't come from the food bank!

They lied. Whoever have them to you got that produce from a food
bank, they're not CSA boxes if they contain mostly the same stuff
(potatoes and onions) and they're "full". They're "banana boxes",
right? (you'll deny it but I won't believe you).

CSA's don't send people a ton on of just a couple things. And they
couldn't have collected that much without some of it going bad in
the meantime. Unless it came from a food bank...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 1:41:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> > > ---
> > >
> > > Maybe that's why ours died. My dad fed it cut up worms!

> > I don't know nothing about feeding no turtles or tortoises. My friend has a colony of them. They just congregate around his house. I suspect that there some kind of magnetic abnormality around his house.
> >
> > He feeds the tortoises the diet I described. I think he feeds the turtles pellet food. Oddly enough, the turtles have pretty good eyesight. They'll just jump in the water when they see me coming.

> Snapping turtles do that. Often seen up on a log in the water.
> Come too close and they drop right off and disappear quickly.

What surprises me is that they can spot me before I can spot them. You can hear them plopping into the water when I come down the path. Beats me why they feel the need to hide. Those guys were born and raised in captivity - what the heck do they have to fear? Nuttin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:37:27 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 10:06:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > I'll pass on that one. My family is getting a little nutty diet-wise. It
> > > seems that all they'll eat is fish. Ha ha. I cooked up some mahimahi
> > > last
> > > night. It was salted and peppered, then slathered with wasabi-mayo and
> > > sprinkled with seaweed and sesame seed. Then cooked in the air-fryer. My
> > > son
> > > is orchestrating this diet and he's kinda like a keto-hitler. I think
> > > I'll
> > > cook me up a nice burger.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Dj4zUNdwdh7bTZ

> > > ===
> > >
> > > <g> Well it looks lovely to me) Not something I have ever seen
> > > The
> > > only fish we eat is cod, haddock and salmon!!!
> > >
> > > Incidentally, I always use my air fryers to cook fish, unless I am
> > > battering them. Do you think he would like battered fish??
> > >
> > > I have a lovely beer batter recipe which we both love. Oh and it
> > > doesn't taste of the beer .. sorry) It does however make a lovely
> > > risen
> > > and crisp batter)

> > Your fishes are fine fishes. On this rock we grew up eating mostly
> > mahimahi.
> > These days, mahimahi is getting expensive and weird looking. Soon there
> > will
> > be none left.
> >
> > I'm cooking it this way because my family is on a fat restricted diet.
> > Mostly, they're eating low calorie, high protein, drinks and bars. They
> > have
> > to eat a low fat dish with a salad once a day. If I had my way, I'd fry
> > the
> > fish. Cod in a beer batter would be wonderful but that's not allowed - at
> > least for now.
> >
> > Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
> > tortoise
> > and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
> >
> > Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
> > tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
> >

> > Beautiful))

> My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
> animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A
>
> ===
>
> Awww) Do you think these animals know their owners?

That guy is awful handy because if we find a turtle or tortoise, we can give it to him and they'll live happily ever after in some kind of turtle fairyland. We all need a friend that we can dump animals upon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> What surprises me is that they can spot me before I can spot them. You can
> hear them plopping into the water when I come down the path. Beats me why
> they feel the need to hide. Those guys were born and raised in captivity -
> what the heck do they have to fear? Nuttin'.

Turtle soup! Dont you know whats going on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:21:41 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > What surprises me is that they can spot me before I can spot them. You can
> > hear them plopping into the water when I come down the path. Beats me why
> > they feel the need to hide. Those guys were born and raised in captivity -
> > what the heck do they have to fear? Nuttin'.

> Turtle soup! Dont you know whats going on?

The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great is that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to be eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never comes to that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 20:51:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:21:41 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>> > What surprises me is that they can spot me before I can spot them. You can
>> > hear them plopping into the water when I come down the path. Beats me why
>> > they feel the need to hide. Those guys were born and raised in captivity -
>> > what the heck do they have to fear? Nuttin'.

>> Turtle soup! Dont you know whats going on?

>The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great is that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to be eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never comes to that.

Worst case, just eat your wife. The other white meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > Today I was collecting some hibiscus flowers. My daughter has a new
> > tortoise
> > and they eat these flowers. Can you imagine that?
> >
> > Not really I have never been lucky enough to have a
> > tortoise If I had, I would feed them whatever they preferred))
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...Pwv-oQ-RKWMC-i
> >

> > Beautiful))

> My OCD Chinese friend raises turtles and tortoises. He said they eat small
> animal hay, romaine lettuce, and red hibiscus flowers. No meat!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...g8OQ2liENuIG8A
>
> ===
>
> Awww) Do you think these animals know their owners?

That guy is awful handy because if we find a turtle or tortoise, we can give
it to him and they'll live happily ever after in some kind of turtle
fairyland. We all need a friend that we can dump animals upon.

???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:21:41 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > What surprises me is that they can spot me before I can spot them. You
> > can
> > hear them plopping into the water when I come down the path. Beats me
> > why
> > they feel the need to hide. Those guys were born and raised in
> > captivity -
> > what the heck do they have to fear? Nuttin'.

> Turtle soup! Dont you know whats going on?

The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great is
that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to be
eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really
desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never comes
to that.

===

LOL D. loves Spam)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 20:51:24 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:21:41 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>>> On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
>>> (in >):

>>> Turtle soup! Don€„¢t you know what€„¢s going on?

>> The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great is that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to be eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never comes to that.

> Worst case, just eat your wife. The other white meat.

Popeye probably beat him to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turtle Soup ( WAS Potatoes and onions)

On 7/8/2020 6:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:21:41 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>> > What surprises me is that they can spot me before I can spot them.

>> You > can
>> > hear them plopping into the water when I come down the path. Beats

>> me > why
>> > they feel the need to hide. Those guys were born and raised in >

>> captivity -
>> > what the heck do they have to fear? Nuttin'.

>> Turtle soup! Dont you know whats going on?

No, what's going on? Heh.

> The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great
> is that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to
> be eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really
> desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never
> comes to that.

(snippage)

I had turtle soup at Owen Brennan's restaurant in Memphis. It was
absolutely delicious. And no, it is NOT served in turtle shells, it's
served in regular soup bowls. Owen Brennan's is an offshoot of
Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana. dsi1 is just running
off at the mouth again.

https://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/

Instructions

Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a heavy 7-quart saucepan.
Add the turtle meat and garlic.
Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about five minutes, stirring
occasionally.
Stir in the onions, celery, sweet peppers, kosher salt, and pepper.
Cook until the vegetables start to become translucent, about 10
minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook about five minutes, stirring often so the
bottom of the pan does not scorch.
Reduce the heat to medium.
Dust the vegetables with the flour and cook five minutes, stirring
constantly and scraping the pan bottom clean so the flour does not burn.
Slowly add the stock, stirring and scraping the pan bottom
constantly to prevent dough balls from forming in the soup.
Stir in the worcestershire, pepper sauce, parsley and thyme.
Simmer 30 minutes.
Add the eggs, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice and sherry.
Continue simmering 10 minutes more.

You, Ophelia, wouldn't be likely to try this. Even if you could find
turtle meat, the soup contains pepper, peppers and [hot] pepper sauce.
Can't have anything spicy!

It's not really a spicy soup. It was delicious.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 12:04:07 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/8/2020 6:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1"* wrote in message
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 5:21:41 PM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>>> On 2020 Jul 7, , dsi1 wrote
>>> (in >):

>>> You > can
>>> me > why
>>> captivity -
>>>
>>> Turtle soup! Don’t you know what’s going on?

>No, what's going on? Heh.
>
>> The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great
>> is that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to
>> be eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really
>> desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never
>> comes to that.
>>

>(snippage)
>
>I had turtle soup at Owen Brennan's restaurant in Memphis. It was
>absolutely delicious. And no, it is NOT served in turtle shells, it's
>served in regular soup bowls. Owen Brennan's is an offshoot of
>Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana. dsi1 is just running
>off at the mouth again.
>
>https://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/
>
>Instructions
>
>Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a heavy 7-quart saucepan.
> Add the turtle meat and garlic.
> Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about five minutes, stirring
>occasionally.
> Stir in the onions, celery, sweet peppers, kosher salt, and pepper.
> Cook until the vegetables start to become translucent, about 10
>minutes.
> Add the tomatoes and cook about five minutes, stirring often so the
>bottom of the pan does not scorch.
> Reduce the heat to medium.
> Dust the vegetables with the flour and cook five minutes, stirring
>constantly and scraping the pan bottom clean so the flour does not burn.
> Slowly add the stock, stirring and scraping the pan bottom
>constantly to prevent dough balls from forming in the soup.
> Stir in the worcestershire, pepper sauce, parsley and thyme.
> Simmer 30 minutes.
> Add the eggs, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice and sherry.
> Continue simmering 10 minutes more.
>
>You, Ophelia, wouldn't be likely to try this. Even if you could find
>turtle meat, the soup contains pepper, peppers and [hot] pepper sauce.
>Can't have anything spicy!
>
>It's not really a spicy soup. It was delicious.
>
>Jill

I've had turtle soup whenever my BIL and boys caught turtles.
Very good stuff.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/9/2020 2:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 12:04:07 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2020 6:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> No, what's going on? Heh.
>>
>>> The great thing about it is that they come in their own bowls. How great
>>> is that? It's awesome! When the zombie apocalypse come down, I expect to
>>> be eating turtle soup. After that, it's cat soup. When things get really
>>> desperate, I'll open a can of Spam. I pray to Jesus that that it never
>>> comes to that.
>>>

>> (snippage)
>>
>> I had turtle soup at Owen Brennan's restaurant in Memphis. It was
>> absolutely delicious. And no, it is NOT served in turtle shells, it's
>> served in regular soup bowls. Owen Brennan's is an offshoot of
>> Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana. dsi1 is just running
>> off at the mouth again.
>>
>> https://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/
>>
>> Instructions
>>
>> Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a heavy 7-quart saucepan.
>> Add the turtle meat and garlic.
>> Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about five minutes, stirring
>> occasionally.
>> Stir in the onions, celery, sweet peppers, kosher salt, and pepper.
>> Cook until the vegetables start to become translucent, about 10
>> minutes.
>> Add the tomatoes and cook about five minutes, stirring often so the
>> bottom of the pan does not scorch.
>> Reduce the heat to medium.
>> Dust the vegetables with the flour and cook five minutes, stirring
>> constantly and scraping the pan bottom clean so the flour does not burn.
>> Slowly add the stock, stirring and scraping the pan bottom
>> constantly to prevent dough balls from forming in the soup.
>> Stir in the worcestershire, pepper sauce, parsley and thyme.
>> Simmer 30 minutes.
>> Add the eggs, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice and sherry.
>> Continue simmering 10 minutes more.
>>
>> You, Ophelia, wouldn't be likely to try this. Even if you could find
>> turtle meat, the soup contains pepper, peppers and [hot] pepper sauce.
>> Can't have anything spicy!
>>
>> It's not really a spicy soup. It was delicious.
>>
>> Jill

> I've had turtle soup whenever my BIL and boys caught turtles.
> Very good stuff.
> Janet US

I've never had freshly caught/made turtle soup. After I had the turtle
soup at Owen Brennan's I mentioned I'd had some good turtle soup to my
father. He said Ooooh! Turtle soup! He told me he and his brothers
used to catch turtles in the creek and bring them home so their mother
could make soup. This was in Pennsylvania. Dad said they were snapping
turtles. I loved the turtle soup I tasted, but I wouldn't go out of my
way to eat it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 14:52:53 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/9/2020 2:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 12:04:07 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> No, what's going on? Heh.

>>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> I had turtle soup at Owen Brennan's restaurant in Memphis. It was
>>> absolutely delicious. And no, it is NOT served in turtle shells, it's
>>> served in regular soup bowls. Owen Brennan's is an offshoot of
>>> Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana. dsi1 is just running
>>> off at the mouth again.
>>>
>>> https://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/
>>>
>>> Instructions
>>>
>>> Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a heavy 7-quart saucepan.
>>> Add the turtle meat and garlic.
>>> Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about five minutes, stirring
>>> occasionally.
>>> Stir in the onions, celery, sweet peppers, kosher salt, and pepper.
>>> Cook until the vegetables start to become translucent, about 10
>>> minutes.
>>> Add the tomatoes and cook about five minutes, stirring often so the
>>> bottom of the pan does not scorch.
>>> Reduce the heat to medium.
>>> Dust the vegetables with the flour and cook five minutes, stirring
>>> constantly and scraping the pan bottom clean so the flour does not burn.
>>> Slowly add the stock, stirring and scraping the pan bottom
>>> constantly to prevent dough balls from forming in the soup.
>>> Stir in the worcestershire, pepper sauce, parsley and thyme.
>>> Simmer 30 minutes.
>>> Add the eggs, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice and sherry.
>>> Continue simmering 10 minutes more.
>>>
>>> You, Ophelia, wouldn't be likely to try this. Even if you could find
>>> turtle meat, the soup contains pepper, peppers and [hot] pepper sauce.
>>> Can't have anything spicy!
>>>
>>> It's not really a spicy soup. It was delicious.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've had turtle soup whenever my BIL and boys caught turtles.
>> Very good stuff.
>> Janet US
>>

>I've never had freshly caught/made turtle soup. After I had the turtle
>soup at Owen Brennan's I mentioned I'd had some good turtle soup to my
>father. He said Ooooh! Turtle soup! He told me he and his brothers
>used to catch turtles in the creek and bring them home so their mother
>could make soup. This was in Pennsylvania. Dad said they were snapping
>turtles. I loved the turtle soup I tasted, but I wouldn't go out of my
>way to eat it.
>
>Jill

Turtle hunting usually (in my growing up area) happened in winter
after all the other hunting seasons were over. They (BIL+) would
stand in the creek or the edge of river bank and hunt in the turtle
burrows in the river bank. I did have some turtle meat from their
lake in northern Wisconsin in the summertime. Always good.
I envy you some of the foods you are able to get in the south east.
It's always location, location, location
Your recipe sound delicious,
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/9/2020 2:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 12:04:07 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> No, what's going on? Heh.

>>> (snippage)
>>>
>>> I had turtle soup at Owen Brennan's restaurant in Memphis.Â* It was
>>> absolutely delicious.Â* And no, it is NOT served in turtle
>>> shells, it's
>>> served in regular soup bowls.Â* Owen Brennan's is an offshoot of
>>> Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana.Â* dsi1 is just
>>> running
>>> off at the mouth again.
>>>
>>> https://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/
>>>
>>> Instructions
>>>
>>> Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a heavy 7-quart saucepan.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Add the turtle meat and garlic.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about five minutes,
>>> stirring
>>> occasionally.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Stir in the onions, celery, sweet peppers, kosher salt, and
>>> pepper.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Cook until the vegetables start to become translucent,
>>> about 10
>>> minutes.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Add the tomatoes and cook about five minutes, stirring
>>> often so the
>>> bottom of the pan does not scorch.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Reduce the heat to medium.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Dust the vegetables with the flour and cook five minutes,
>>> stirring
>>> constantly and scraping the pan bottom clean so the flour does
>>> not burn.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Slowly add the stock, stirring and scraping the pan bottom
>>> constantly to prevent dough balls from forming in the soup.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Stir in the worcestershire, pepper sauce, parsley and thyme.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Simmer 30 minutes.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Add the eggs, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice and sherry.
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* Continue simmering 10 minutes more.
>>>
>>> You, Ophelia, wouldn't be likely to try this. Even if you could
>>> find
>>> turtle meat, the soup contains pepper, peppers and [hot] pepper
>>> sauce.
>>> Can't have anything spicy!
>>>
>>> It's not really a spicy soup.Â* It was delicious.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've had turtle soup whenever my BIL and boys caught turtles.
>> Very good stuff.
>> Janet US
>>

> I've never had freshly caught/made turtle soup.Â* After I had the
> turtle soup at Owen Brennan's I mentioned I'd had some good turtle
> soup to my father.Â* He said Ooooh! Turtle soup!Â* He told me he and
> his brothers used to catch turtles in the creek and bring them home
> so their mother could make soup. This was in Pennsylvania. Dad said
> they were snapping turtles. I loved the turtle soup I tasted, but I
> wouldn't go out of my way to eat it.
>
> Jill

Publix don't sell them?