Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Day before yesterday

I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
five apiece.
Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
meatballs. It worked!

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leo" wrote in message
vidual.Net...

I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
five apiece.
Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
meatballs. It worked!

leo

===

Sounds lovely Share your recipes please?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
> served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
> garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
> five apiece.
> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
> meatballs. It worked!
>
> leo

Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:13:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
>> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
>> served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
>> garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
>> five apiece.
>> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
>> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
>> meatballs. It worked!
>>
>> leo

>Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?

A ten pound meat-a-loaf... slices freeze well and make fantastic
sammiches. I'm not Italian nor am I Jesus, but I make monster
meat-a-loaf whenever I grind meat for burgers... may as well while the
grinder is out and needs cleaning anyway... the grinder makes short
work of chopping veggies. I hardly ever do Meat-A-Balles... Meat-A
-Loaf is much easier.

Once you learned to correct your Ukelele word wrap your food prep may
improve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 9:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
>> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
>> served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
>> garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
>> five apiece.
>> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
>> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
>> meatballs. It worked!
>>
>> leo

> Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?

"Do not order €śspaghetti and meatballs€ť in Italy! ... If pasta and
meatballs are served in the same meal, the two ingredients will be
served separately €“ the spaghetti as a primi and the meatball(s)
(polpettone or polpette) as a secondo. Spaghetti with meatballs is not
an authentic Italian dish."

I think Jesus would do as the Romans do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:13:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> >> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before

> yesterday, I made >> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti
> sauce and penne pasta. I >> served it with a plain lettuce salad with
> Olive Garden Italian dressing and >> garlic bread. I only made
> fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was >> five apiece.
> >> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three

> meatballs so >> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for
> the lack of >> meatballs. It worked!
> >>
> >> leo

> > Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball
> > problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of
> > extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with
> > no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?

> A ten pound meat-a-loaf... slices freeze well and make fantastic
> sammiches. I'm not Italian nor am I Jesus, but I make monster
> meat-a-loaf whenever I grind meat for burgers... may as well while the
> grinder is out and needs cleaning anyway... the grinder makes short
> work of chopping veggies. I hardly ever do Meat-A-Balles... Meat-A
> -Loaf is much easier.
>
> Once you learned to correct your Ukelele word wrap your food prep may
> improve.

Please fix your newsreader so you can see he is propely line wrapped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 13:39:44 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:13:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> yesterday, I made >> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti
>> sauce and penne pasta. I >> served it with a plain lettuce salad with
>> Olive Garden Italian dressing and >> garlic bread. I only made
>> fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was >> five apiece.

>> meatballs so >> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for
>> the lack of >> meatballs. It worked!

>> > Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball
>> > problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of
>> > extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with
>> > no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?

>> A ten pound meat-a-loaf... slices freeze well and make fantastic
>> sammiches. I'm not Italian nor am I Jesus, but I make monster
>> meat-a-loaf whenever I grind meat for burgers... may as well while the
>> grinder is out and needs cleaning anyway... the grinder makes short
>> work of chopping veggies. I hardly ever do Meat-A-Balles... Meat-A
>> -Loaf is much easier.
>>
>> Once you learned to correct your Ukelele word wrap your food prep may
>> improve.

>Please fix your newsreader so you can see he is propely line wrapped.

No, he's not, silly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> A ten pound meat-a-loaf...

Good grief! You might have left the navy
but the navy never left you, "Cookie."

Even funnier is a few months ago when you said you
still write your name on all your underwear. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk formulated the question :
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:13:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> yesterday, I made >> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti
>> sauce and penne pasta. I >> served it with a plain lettuce salad with
>> Olive Garden Italian dressing and >> garlic bread. I only made
>> fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was >> five apiece.

>> meatballs so >> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for
>> the lack of >> meatballs. It worked!

>>> Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball
>>> problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of
>>> extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with
>>> no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?

>> A ten pound meat-a-loaf... slices freeze well and make fantastic
>> sammiches. I'm not Italian nor am I Jesus, but I make monster
>> meat-a-loaf whenever I grind meat for burgers... may as well while the
>> grinder is out and needs cleaning anyway... the grinder makes short
>> work of chopping veggies. I hardly ever do Meat-A-Balles... Meat-A
>> -Loaf is much easier.
>>
>> Once you learned to correct your Ukelele word wrap your food prep may
>> improve.

> Please fix your newsreader so you can see he is propely line wrapped.

Guess again you stupid ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 15:23:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> A ten pound meat-a-loaf...

>Good grief! You might have left the navy
>but the navy never left you, "Cookie."
>
>Even funnier is a few months ago when you said you
>still write your name on all your underwear. LOL

Sounds like he came out of the navy with PTSD. And he was only the
cook!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 07:36:32 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 15:23:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> A ten pound meat-a-loaf...

>>Good grief! You might have left the navy
>>but the navy never left you, "Cookie."
>>
>>Even funnier is a few months ago when you said you
>>still write your name on all your underwear. LOL

>Sounds like he came out of the navy with PTSD. And he was only the
>cook!

On a US Navy ship the cook is the most important crew member.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 07:36:32 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>>> Good grief! You might have left the navy
>>> but the navy never left you, "Cookie."
>>>
>>> Even funnier is a few months ago when you said you
>>> still write your name on all your underwear. LOL

>> Sounds like he came out of the navy with PTSD. And he was only the
>> cook!

> On a US Navy ship the cook is the most important crew member.

So, is that the reason yoose strut around like yoose a peacock Popeye?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 19:24:29 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Mon, 25 May 2020 07:36:32 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>>>Good grief! You might have left the navy
>>>but the navy never left you, "Cookie."
>>>
>>>Even funnier is a few months ago when you said you
>>>still write your name on all your underwear. LOL

>>Sounds like he came out of the navy with PTSD. And he was only the
>>cook!

>On a US Navy ship the cook is the most important crew member.

But how do you get PTSD from a lot of potatoes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 19:24:29 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:

>>> Sounds like he came out of the navy with PTSD. And he was only the
>>> cook!

>> On a US Navy ship the cook is the most important crew member.

> But how do you get PTSD from a lot of potatoes?

Maybe when all the other sailors shoved them potatoes in popeye's ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 7:39:29 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 5/24/2020 9:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> >> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
> >> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
> >> served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
> >> garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
> >> five apiece.
> >> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
> >> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
> >> meatballs. It worked!
> >>
> >> leo

> > Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball problem.. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?
> >

> "Do not order €śspaghetti and meatballs€ť in Italy! ... If pasta and
> meatballs are served in the same meal, the two ingredients will be
> served separately €“ the spaghetti as a primi and the meatball(s)
> (polpettone or polpette) as a secondo. Spaghetti with meatballs is not
> an authentic Italian dish."
>
> I think Jesus would do as the Romans do.

Thanks for the tip. The wife and kids like spaghetti with meatballs so I make it. Maybe I'll make some meatballs with sauce but no spaghetti. That would pretty much solve that problem - well, except for the wife and kids wailing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 7:39:29 AM UTC-10, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 5/24/2020 9:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> >> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I
> >> made
> >> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta.
> >> served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing
> >> and
> >> garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit
> >> was
> >> five apiece.
> >> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three
> >> meatballs so
> >> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
> >> meatballs. It worked!
> >>
> >> leo

> > Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball problem.
> > I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of extra meatballs.
> > No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with no meatballs. What do
> > the Italians do? What would Jesus do?
> >

> "Do not order €śspaghetti and meatballs€ť in Italy! ... If pasta and
> meatballs are served in the same meal, the two ingredients will be
> served separately €“ the spaghetti as a primi and the meatball(s)
> (polpettone or polpette) as a secondo. Spaghetti with meatballs is not
> an authentic Italian dish."
>
> I think Jesus would do as the Romans do.

Thanks for the tip. The wife and kids like spaghetti with meatballs so I
make it. Maybe I'll make some meatballs with sauce but no spaghetti. That
would pretty much solve that problem - well, except for the wife and kids
wailing.

===

LOL nahhhh your daughter would step up and make it )))

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 May 24, , Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Leo" wrote in message
> vidual.Net...
>
> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
> meatballs. It worked!

> Sounds lovely Share your recipes please?

Everything was store bought, jarred or bagged, except the meatballs. My
recipe for meatballs varies from day to day, but this is close to the most
recent.

A pound of 85% lean ground beef
half a medium onion minced
one stalk of celery minced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
one egg
salt and pepper to taste
enough bread crumbs to form the slop into firm balls

Mix everything together and form into 1.5 inch (40mm) balls and place all
on an aluminum foil covered cookie (biscuit) sheet. Cook at 350F (175C) for
about twenty minutes. It doesnt matter. You will throw them all into the
store bought spaghetti sauce, once theyre firm, and let them simmer for
an hour, so theyll be thoroughly cooked regardless.
Any meatloaf recipe that you can form into balls will do. Add basil and
oregano to give that flavor that Americans associate with Italy if desired.
I didnt. Im not proud of my meatballs. Theyre just meatballs.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 1:25 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:13:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 12:21:02 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
>>> I probably ought to do something on-topic. The day before yesterday, I made
>>> homemade meatball, Paul Newman garlic spaghetti sauce and penne pasta. I
>>> served it with a plain lettuce salad with Olive Garden Italian dressing and
>>> garlic bread. I only made fifteen meatballs and warned that the limit was
>>> five apiece.
>>> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs so
>>> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
>>> meatballs. It worked!
>>>
>>> leo

>> Meatballs are great but that's a classic spaghetti and meatball problem. I've tried to solve this by making a stupid amount of extra meatballs. No dice. It always ends up the same - pasta with no meatballs. What do the Italians do? What would Jesus do?

> A ten pound meat-a-loaf...

(snippage)

Sheldon, all leo and dsi1 hoped for were a few extra meatballs. Not a
10 lb meatloaf. Hopefully the tomato sauce was nice and tasty so the
lack of two or three meatballs wasn't that big a deal. leo added some
cut up polish sause which seemed to fill the empty space. Heh. I'd have
done the same thing with some bulk breakfast sausage, thawed and rolled
into meatballs. Meatloaf, that's a totally different dinner.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leo" wrote in message
vidual.Net...

On 2020 May 24, , Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Leo" wrote in message
> vidual.Net...
>
> Last night (tonight) I had a lot of pasta left with only three meatballs
> so
> we substituted cut up Johnsonville Polish sausage for the lack of
> meatballs. It worked!

> Sounds lovely Share your recipes please?

Everything was store bought, jarred or bagged, except the meatballs. My
recipe for meatballs varies from day to day, but this is close to the most
recent.

A pound of 85% lean ground beef
half a medium onion minced
one stalk of celery minced
3 cloves of garlic crushed
one egg
salt and pepper to taste
enough bread crumbs to form the slop into firm balls

Mix everything together and form into 1.5 inch (40mm) balls and place all
on an aluminum foil covered cookie (biscuit) sheet. Cook at 350F (175C) for
about twenty minutes. It doesnt matter. You will throw them all into the
store bought spaghetti sauce, once theyre firm, and let them simmer for
an hour, so theyll be thoroughly cooked regardless.
Any meatloaf recipe that you can form into balls will do. Add basil and
oregano to give that flavor that Americans associate with Italy if desired.
I didnt. Im not proud of my meatballs. Theyre just meatballs.

leo

===

Thanks very much I will probably make my own sauce but I will certainly
cook it all as you advise

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 May 27, , Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> Thanks very much I will probably make my own sauce but I will certainly
> cook it all as you advise

My meatballs are mundane. Simmering them in spaghetti sauce makes the
difference. So does the size. Fifteen small ones simmered in sauce taste
better than 5 big ones. Its the sauce, you see
I make decent spaghetti sauce, but buying a jar of "almost as good" is much
quicker and easier.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leo" wrote in message
vidual.Net...

On 2020 May 27, , Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> Thanks very much I will probably make my own sauce but I will certainly
> cook it all as you advise

My meatballs are mundane. Simmering them in spaghetti sauce makes the
difference. So does the size. Fifteen small ones simmered in sauce taste
better than 5 big ones. Its the sauce, you see
I make decent spaghetti sauce, but buying a jar of "almost as good" is much
quicker and easier.

leo

===

Thanks for the info on size! Hmmm you (almost) make me want to try out
a jar! What make is it?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2020 5:22 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Leo"Â* wrote in message
> vidual.Net...
>
> On 2020 May 27, , Ophelia wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> Thanks very much I will probably make my own sauce but I will certainly
>> cook it all as you advise

> My meatballs are mundane. Simmering them in spaghetti sauce makes the
> difference. So does the size. Fifteen small ones simmered in sauce taste
> better than 5 big ones. Its the sauce, you see
> I make decent spaghetti sauce, but buying a jar of "almost as good" is much
> quicker and easier.
>
> leo
>
> ===
>
> Â* Thanks for the info on size!Â*Â* Hmmm you (almost) make me want to try
> out a jar!Â*Â* What make is it?

Newman's Own brand. As in Paul Newman, the actor. He had a food
company. I think you can buy that jarred sauce on Amazon UK but I
wouldn't expect you to see it on the shelves at your local shops.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:46:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2020 5:22 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Leo"* wrote in message
>> vidual.Net...
>>
>> On 2020 May 27, , Ophelia wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>>> Thanks very much I will probably make my own sauce but I will certainly
>>> cook it all as you advise

>> My meatballs are mundane. Simmering them in spaghetti sauce makes the
>> difference. So does the size. Fifteen small ones simmered in sauce taste
>> better than 5 big ones. It’s the sauce, you see
>> I make decent spaghetti sauce, but buying a jar of "almost as good" is much
>> quicker and easier.
>>
>> leo
>>
>> ===
>>
>> * Thanks for the info on size!** Hmmm you (almost) make me want to try
>> out a jar!** What make is it?
>>

>Newman's Own brand. As in Paul Newman, the actor. He had a food
>company. I think you can buy that jarred sauce on Amazon UK but I
>wouldn't expect you to see it on the shelves at your local shops.
>
>Jill

I still see Newman's Own food products being sold, usually condiments,
however I've never bought any.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2020 12:55 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:46:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2020 5:22 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "Leo"Â* wrote in message
>>> vidual.Net...
>>>
>>> On 2020 May 27, , Ophelia wrote
>>> (in article >):

>>> My meatballs are mundane. Simmering them in spaghetti sauce makes the
>>> difference. So does the size. Fifteen small ones simmered in sauce taste
>>> better than 5 big ones. Its the sauce, you see
>>> I make decent spaghetti sauce, but buying a jar of "almost as good" is much
>>> quicker and easier.
>>>
>>> leo
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Â* Thanks for the info on size!Â*Â* Hmmm you (almost) make me want to try
>>> out a jar!Â*Â* What make is it?
>>>

>> Newman's Own brand. As in Paul Newman, the actor. He had a food
>> company. I think you can buy that jarred sauce on Amazon UK but I
>> wouldn't expect you to see it on the shelves at your local shops.
>>
>> Jill

> I still see Newman's Own food products being sold, usually condiments,
> however I've never bought any.

That's the brand (Newman's Own) frozen thin crust pizza I buy on
occasion. I've got one in the freezer right now. White pizza with
spinach and mostly white cheeses. No tomato sauce. It's excellent!

So is the jarred sauce, although I haven't bought any in a while.

I don't know if Ophelia would be able to find Newman's Own brand in
Scotland. I found a link where she could order it from Amazon UK but I
doubt she'd have reason to do that. It's a nice jarred sauce but if I
were her I wouldn't bother.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 11:55:05 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I still see Newman's Own food products being sold, usually condiments,
> however I've never bought any.

The local Kroger offers many of Newman's Own products. Spaghetti sauce, salad
dressings, cookies, frozen pizzas, and other items. The frozen pizzas are
outstanding, at least they are to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 1:56:40 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

> On 5/27/2020 2:37 PM, wrote:
> >
> > The local Kroger offers many of Newman's Own products. Spaghetti sauce, salad
> > dressings, cookies, frozen pizzas, and other items. The frozen pizzas are
> > outstanding, at least they are to me.
> >

> Profits go to charity too

https://newmansownfoundation.org/

Yes, and unless she's stepped down from her position, his daughter runs the
company.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 11:55:05 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> I still see Newman's Own food products being sold, usually condiments,
>> however I've never bought any.
>>

>The local Kroger offers many of Newman's Own products. Spaghetti sauce, salad
>dressings, cookies, frozen pizzas, and other items. The frozen pizzas are
>outstanding, at least they are to me.

We don't have any pizza place here, the closest is a Pizza Hut some 15
miles away. Last week we felt like having pizza for lunch so bought
one from a convenience store, no brand, just a small frozen pie, 6
tiny slices, for $8 heated in their microwave... the cardboard box it
came in was worth more than that pie... first and last time... I could
have done much better at home from scratch but didn't feel like it. We
used to have a very good Italian restaurant in town but they are gone
for more than 8 years and that store is still empty. They had great
pizza and fantastic calzone. We ate dinner there about once a week
and suddenly they were gone. They served a fantastic half a roast
chicken with a half rack of ribs. for like $7. The motorcycle people
hung out there as there was a full bar in the back. They served great
food. I've no idea why they left but I miss their food and the hefty
bosomed biker chicks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2020 4:34 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 11:55:05 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> I still see Newman's Own food products being sold, usually condiments,
>>> however I've never bought any.
>>>

>> The local Kroger offers many of Newman's Own products. Spaghetti sauce, salad
>> dressings, cookies, frozen pizzas, and other items. The frozen pizzas are
>> outstanding, at least they are to me.

> We don't have any pizza place here, the closest is a Pizza Hut some 15
> miles away. Last week we felt like having pizza for lunch so bought
> one from a convenience store, no brand, just a small frozen pie, 6
> tiny slices, for $8 heated in their microwave... the cardboard box it
> came in was worth more than that pie... first and last time...

So sorry! What happened to your loving the DiGiorno brand rising crust
pizza?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 May 2020 21:07:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2020 4:34 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> The local Kroger offers many of Newman's Own products. Spaghetti sauce, salad
>>> dressings, cookies, frozen pizzas, and other items. The frozen pizzas are
>>> outstanding, at least they are to me.

>> We don't have any pizza place here, the closest is a Pizza Hut some 15
>> miles away. Last week we felt like having pizza for lunch so bought
>> one from a convenience store, no brand, just a small frozen pie, 6
>> tiny slices, for $8 heated in their microwave... the cardboard box it
>> came in was worth more than that pie... first and last time...

>So sorry! What happened to your loving the DiGiorno brand rising crust
>pizza?
>
>Jill

We have that too but requires lighting the oven so it's a winter food.
The one from the convenience store wasn't terrible and was faster
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 2020 21:07:52 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 5/27/2020 4:34 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >> On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), "

> >> We don't have any pizza place here, the closest is a Pizza Hut some 15
> >> miles away. Last week we felt like having pizza for lunch so bought
> >> one from a convenience store, no brand, just a small frozen pie, 6
> >> tiny slices, for $8 heated in their microwave... the cardboard box it
> >> came in was worth more than that pie... first and last time...

> >So sorry! What happened to your loving the DiGiorno brand rising crust
> >pizza?
> >
> >Jill

> We have that too but requires lighting the oven so it's a winter food.
> The one from the convenience store wasn't terrible and was faster

If you have a 7-11 store nearby, try one of their's sometime.
I've bought a few occasionally. Not too bad and fairly large.
Three different kinds.

The stores get them premade and frozen. If they cook one for
you, it's just microwaved then boxed hot. You can also just
ask for a frozen one to take home later and cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:01:13 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> The one from the convenience store wasn't terrible and was faster

If TOPS market stocks the frozen Newman's Own, try one of those. But it will
require the use of your oven. Save it for winter though if you don't want to
heat up the kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2020 11:01 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2020 21:07:52 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/27/2020 4:34 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:37:54 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> We don't have any pizza place here, the closest is a Pizza Hut some 15
>>> miles away. Last week we felt like having pizza for lunch so bought
>>> one from a convenience store, no brand, just a small frozen pie, 6
>>> tiny slices, for $8 heated in their microwave... the cardboard box it
>>> came in was worth more than that pie... first and last time...

>> So sorry! What happened to your loving the DiGiorno brand rising crust
>> pizza?
>>
>> Jill

> We have that too but requires lighting the oven so it's a winter food.
> The one from the convenience store wasn't terrible and was faster

You keep saying you have to "light the oven". I don't understand that.
Even when I had a gas stove (circa 1983) I didn't have to "light it".
Then again, it wasn't coming from a propane tank I had to keep filled.
Natural gas lines ran directly to the apartment building, to the stove.
When I turned on the oven or the stovetop burners, I didn't have to
strike a match to light it. Turn it on and poof! There's the flame.
Instantaneous.

Anyway, you bought a cheap pizza at the convenience store and heated it
in their microwave, brought it home and expected it to taste good? Wow.
Microwaved pizza is always going to be crappy.

Back to the point: Newman's Own brand of food products is widely
available. Spaghetti sauces, pizzas, all sorts of foodstuffs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2020 11:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 27 May 2020 21:07:52 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> So sorry! What happened to your loving the DiGiorno brand rising crust
>>> pizza?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> We have that too but requires lighting the oven so it's a winter food.
>> The one from the convenience store wasn't terrible and was faster

> If you have a 7-11 store nearby, try one of their's sometime.
> I've bought a few occasionally. Not too bad and fairly large.
> Three different kinds.
>
> The stores get them premade and frozen. If they cook one for
> you, it's just microwaved then boxed hot. You can also just
> ask for a frozen one to take home later and cook.

Don't have a 7-11 store around here but microwaved pizza sucks. Sheldon
is trying to compare convenience store nuked pizza with pizza you buy
and bake in the oven at home. No comparison. Oh, and he's never heard
of Newan's Own anything so of course it doesn't exist.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 11:38:44 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> You keep saying you have to "light the oven". I don't understand that.
> Even when I had a gas stove (circa 1983) I didn't have to "light it".
> Then again, it wasn't coming from a propane tank I had to keep filled.
> Natural gas lines ran directly to the apartment building, to the stove.
> When I turned on the oven or the stovetop burners, I didn't have to
> strike a match to light it. Turn it on and poof! There's the flame.
> Instantaneous.

You don't have to strike a match to light something. Flint and steel,
matches, electronic igniters, pilot lights, pure friction. There are a
lot of ways to light something.

Although the pilot light is a bit of a cheat, because it needs to be
lighted by one of those other means.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2020 11:52 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 11:38:44 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> You keep saying you have to "light the oven". I don't understand that.
>> Even when I had a gas stove (circa 1983) I didn't have to "light it".
>> Then again, it wasn't coming from a propane tank I had to keep filled.
>> Natural gas lines ran directly to the apartment building, to the stove.
>> When I turned on the oven or the stovetop burners, I didn't have to
>> strike a match to light it. Turn it on and poof! There's the flame.
>> Instantaneous.

> You don't have to strike a match to light something. Flint and steel,
> matches, electronic igniters, pilot lights, pure friction. There are a
> lot of ways to light something.
>
> Although the pilot light is a bit of a cheat, because it needs to be
> lighted by one of those other means.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thing is, he bought and *microwaved* a cheap pizza at a convenience
store. Based on the description I have no doubt it sucked. Microwaved
pizza, really?

I'm amazed at people who think using the oven for a few minutes in the
summer will heat up the entire house to the point where it's
uncomfortable. I live in the south where it gets really hot and hey,
turning on the oven for about 20 minutes doesn't heat up the entire
house. Neither does cooking anything on the stovetop.

Jill

This is what was said to me yesterday by some one; Peter Lucas (SAS RET) General Cooking 16 06-12-2010 05:18 PM
Yesterday on BBC [email protected] General Cooking 3 07-07-2007 01:09 AM
Yesterday Pandora General Cooking 26 02-10-2005 10:24 AM
Yesterday MOMPEAGRAM General Cooking 12 31-01-2005 01:14 PM