Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ross's Goose

An adult Ross's goose has taken up residense in my back yard. This is
its second year here. The adults become all white, similar in
appearence to the Snow Goose but smaller. This Ross's goose must be a
male as it has joined a mated pair of Canada Geese and is guarding
their babies:
https://postimg.cc/QV65S8Ly
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/rosss-goose
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> An adult Ross's goose has taken up residense in my back yard. This is
> its second year here. The adults become all white, similar in
> appearence to the Snow Goose but smaller. This Ross's goose must be a
> male as it has joined a mated pair of Canada Geese and is guarding
> their babies:
> https://postimg.cc/QV65S8Ly
> https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/rosss-goose

Honk honk... nice...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> An adult Ross's goose has taken up residense in my back yard. This is
> its second year here. The adults become all white, similar in
> appearence to the Snow Goose but smaller. This Ross's goose must be a
> male as it has joined a mated pair of Canada Geese and is guarding
> their babies:
> https://postimg.cc/QV65S8Ly

Very cute pic, Sheldon.

Yoose better go out to the barn and have a serious conference
with all your ferals and let them know that the little ones
in the yard are "off limits."
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> > An adult Ross's goose has taken up residense in my back yard. This is
> > its second year here. The adults become all white, similar in
> > appearence to the Snow Goose but smaller. This Ross's goose must be a
> > male as it has joined a mated pair of Canada Geese and is guarding
> > their babies:
> > https://postimg.cc/QV65S8Ly

> Very cute pic, Sheldon.
>
> Yoose better go out to the barn and have a serious conference
> with all your ferals and let them know that the little ones
> in the yard are "off limits."

Oh, the goose parents will keep any kitties (or other possible predators) with "ideas" at bay...although if they go for a swim where there might be snapping turtles lurking around and they might be in danger...

--
Best,
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Yoose better go out to the barn and have a serious conference
> > with all your ferals and let them know that the little ones
> > in the yard are "off limits."

> Oh, the goose parents will keep any kitties (or other possible predators) with "ideas" at bay...although if they go for a swim where there might be snapping turtles lurking around and they might be in danger...

Even arctic foxes get plenty of baby geese hunting alone.
Just a matter of try and try again.
Wild cats could do the same.

If his family of barn cats made a plan to hunt in a group,
just like wolves do, they could take out the entire goose
family easily. Start with the adults then save the babies
for snacks later.

In Sheldon's area, hawks or eagles would have no problem
snatching one as desired.

Not only that, remember Sheldon bought a nifty 12-guage
which is good for the occasional goose dinner.

I don't even trust his intentions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> GM wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > Yoose better go out to the barn and have a serious conference
> > > with all your ferals and let them know that the little ones
> > > in the yard are "off limits."

> > Oh, the goose parents will keep any kitties (or other possible predators) with "ideas" at bay...although if they go for a swim where there might be snapping turtles lurking around and they might be in danger...

> Even arctic foxes get plenty of baby geese hunting alone.
> Just a matter of try and try again.
> Wild cats could do the same.
>
> If his family of barn cats made a plan to hunt in a group,
> just like wolves do, they could take out the entire goose
> family easily. Start with the adults then save the babies
> for snacks later.
>
> In Sheldon's area, hawks or eagles would have no problem
> snatching one as desired.
>
> Not only that, remember Sheldon bought a nifty 12-guage
> which is good for the occasional goose dinner.
>
> I don't even trust his intentions.

Well, I don't think a wild goose would make a very good dinner...especially with having to remove all that shot...

;-)

Just saw a silly joke that has nothing to do with this topic:

"A man is walking around blowing a horn. Asked why, he said it was to frighten off the elephants. Told that there are no elephants in New York, he said
€œSee €“ it works!'

;-P

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 May 23, , Sheldon Martin wrote
(in >):

> An adult Ross's goose has taken up residense in my back yard. This is
> its second year here. The adults become all white, similar in
> appearence to the Snow Goose but smaller. This Ross's goose must be a
> male as it has joined a mated pair of Canada Geese and is guarding
> their babies:
> https://postimg.cc/QV65S8Ly
> https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/rosss-goose

Does it have black wingtips? You can tell by spooking it.

leo