Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Remember when ?

On Sun, 24 May 2020 10:40:02 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> [...]

>> 3tb garlic olive oil
>> 1/2 vidalia onion
>> 5 mini-bell peppers
>>
>> 1c black beans (made from dried in the crockpot with chicken bullion,
>> garlic and onion)
>>
>> 2c cooked medium grain 'sticky rice' (calrose)
>>
>> 1c each steamed cabbage, carrots, cauliflower
>> - serving with butter, cream, black pepper white sauce
>>
>> Mandarin oranges
>>
>> Breakfast was:
>> Corned beef hash from a can (Don's comfort food)
>> 2 scrambled eggs
>> toast from home made rye with butter and apple jelly
>>
>> Lunch was:
>> Dashi and udon noodle soup with green beans, black beans, turnip,
>> nori, shrimp, octopus, squid, portabella mushroom, king oyster
>> mushroom, garlic and green onion.
>>
>> rice (calrose)
>>
>> Tomorrow we plan to go a bit cajun but breakfast will be 'Japanese
>> rice porridge' (much like juk or congee but more stuff added).
>>
>> We don't really have a specific plan yet for that but Don pulled out
>> some frozen chicken thighs along with my premade sausage and a large
>> can of diced tomatoes. Might go gumbo? We are slated for the store
>> tomorrow morning so will see if there is any okra. If not fresh or
>> frozen, can adapt around it pretty easy.

>We decided to blow off the store trip today and instead made something
>a bit like burgoo
>
>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ntucky-burgoo/
>
>Thats a sample recipe. For the okra, we used a can of stewed tomatoes
>with okra. The rest was tossed together 'on the fly'.
>
>The key thing that makes it Burgoo, is multiple meat types are used.
>That and the canned diced tomatoes are essential.
>
>The all recipes version makes 12 servings and if a salt-bomb but mostly
>due to the products they used.
>
>We adapted it down to about 6 servings (4-5cups)
>
>1/2lb pork butt, cut to cubes
>2 chicken leg quarters
>1/4c powdered home made beef jerky (between powder and small threads)
>12ea tiny sausage balls from home made sausage
>2 potatoes, cut to 8 pieces each
>1 turnip, matchsticked
>1 15oz can stewed tomatoes with okra
>1 15oz can diced tomatoes
>1/3c cooked dried lima beans
>1 can corn
>1/2c cooked dried black beans
>1 small onion
>2 bell peppers (green)
>1TB duck fat
>1TB flour
>water to cover plus 1 inch
>1.5TB minced garlic
>1/2ts file powder
>1/8ts wasabi powder
>
>Make a roux of the duck fat and flour then add the rest. Cans are not
>drained but all are low-salt. Set lib on and simmer 2hours. You
>should be able then to lift out the chicken quarters, set aside for a
>little then debone and add the meat back in. Add chicken broth as
>needed. Bring back to a simmer and should be done about the 3 hour

Nice sounding recipe. I was glad to see green bell pepper specified.
Sometimes you just need the green pepper for the grassy taste instead
of the colored peppers that are sweet.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 11:29 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Leo wrote:
>
>> On 2020 May 23, , cshenk wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>>> We don't really have a specific plan yet for that but Don pulled out
>>> some frozen chicken thighs along with my premade sausage and a large
>>> can of diced tomatoes. Might go gumbo? We are slated for the store
>>> tomorrow morning so will see if there is any okra. If not fresh or
>>> frozen, can adapt around it pretty easy.

>> Sassafras.
>>
>> leo

> Yes. File powder (sorry, no cute ' marker on my newsreader)

I got that from the character map on my comp - that's in start/all
programs/accessories/system tools in XP . Probably in a similar location
in later versions of Windows .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 11:29:48 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Leo wrote:
>
>> On 2020 May 23, , cshenk wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>> > We don't really have a specific plan yet for that but Don pulled out
>> > some frozen chicken thighs along with my premade sausage and a large
>> > can of diced tomatoes. Might go gumbo? We are slated for the store
>> > tomorrow morning so will see if there is any okra. If not fresh or
>> > frozen, can adapt around it pretty easy.

>> Sassafras.
>>
>> leo

>Yes. File powder (sorry, no cute ' marker on my newsreader)

On your news reader???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-05-24 11:01 a.m., cshenk wrote:
>
> > Yes. Thats what I use too. Most ground beef and pork are from the
> > less expensive cuts. They actually work better IMHO.
> >
> > I'm with you on the names. We have one called 'london broil' (no
> > relation to actual London cuts, but a method of cooking). With
> > care, London Broil can make an excellent steak cut but it's tough
> > as nails if overcooked.
> >
> > https://culinarylore.com/dishes:what-is-london-broil/
> >
> > Flank or top round might be your name for it and yes, we know those
> > are radically parts of the cow....
> >
> > We did a fairly sizable grinding run last weekend.
> >

> Around here, London Broil is a flank steak wrapped around sausage
> meat and sliced into pieces about an inch thick... thick enough that
> they don't curl up and spill their guts in the pan but thin enough
> not to have long tough fibres in the meat.

Here it is thicker cut, at 1.5-2.5 inches thick. Excellent in a
dehydrator or rare cooked and cut across the grain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 11:42:35 -0500, Snag > wrote:

>On 5/24/2020 11:29 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Leo wrote:
>>
>>> On 2020 May 23, , cshenk wrote
>>> (in >):

>>> Sassafras.
>>>
>>> leo

>> Yes. File powder (sorry, no cute ' marker on my newsreader)
>>

> I got that from the character map on my comp - that's in start/all
>programs/accessories/system tools in XP . Probably in a similar location
>in later versions of Windows .

Try typing 130 on your numeric keypad while keeping Alt pressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> [...]

> > 1 can corn
> > 1/2c cooked dried black beans
> > 1 small onion
> > 2 bell peppers (green)
> > 1TB duck fat
> > 1TB flour
> > water to cover plus 1 inch
> > 1.5TB minced garlic
> > 1/2ts file powder
> > 1/8ts wasabi powder
> >
> > Make a roux of the duck fat and flour then add the rest. Cans are
> > not drained but all are low-salt. Set lib on and simmer 2hours.
> > You should be able then to lift out the chicken quarters, set aside
> > for a little then debone and add the meat back in. Add chicken
> > broth as needed. Bring back to a simmer and should be done about
> > the 3 hour point.

> Nice sounding recipe. I was glad to see green bell pepper specified.
> Sometimes you just need the green pepper for the grassy taste instead

Yes. Sometimes, very much the 'thing' needed.

It came out very well. We are having it with rice and baked apples
(apples cored and placed in crockpot with honey, brown sugar and
cinnimon centers).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:02:36 AM UTC-4, Snag wrote:
> Hamburger was subsistence food and not a luxury ? I went to the store
> a couple of days ago for charcoal while I was in town to fill our
> propane tanks and decided to check out the meat cases . 80/20 ground
> chuck is now at $6.59 per pound here . That's crazy , but a sign of the
> times . Chicken is up a bit , boneless/skinless breasts (large , fresh)
> are at $1.99 , pork is still at or near pre-scamdemic prices .
> --
> Snag

It turns out that beef prices are just capitalism in action. Here's the
left-of-center view:

<https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/25/meatpackers-prices-coronavirus-antitrust-275093>

And here are the numbers:

<https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/resources/wholesale-price-update>

Nothing to see here. Just the invisible hand of the market doing its thing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 7:11 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "me"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, 23 May 2020 18:58:32 UTC+1, OpheliaÂ* wrote:
>> "Taxed and Spent"Â* wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 5/23/2020 10:06 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> > What cuts do you prefer for grinding?
>> >
>> > ===
>> >
>> >Â*Â*Â*Â* It is hard for me to say.Â* You call your cuts different to ours
>> >
>> >Â*Â*Â*Â* I normally just use cheap cuts.Â*Â* Does that make any sense?

>> Give names, I am sure the internet can help translate.Â* Thanks.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Â* OkÂ* With beef it is usually Brisket.Â* Other meats are usually
>> shoulder
>>
>> Â* HTH)
>>

>> --
>> https://www.avg.com

> I really like brisket, roasted slowly, it is so tasty.Â* I use cheaper
> cuts for burgers and also include some fat in the mix as lean
> beefburgers are so dry.
>
> ====
>
> Â*Other than brisket what other cuts do you use?Â* Taxted and Spent needs
> to get the idea of what that cheap stuff is called in USA.

Brisket in the US is not cheap!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-28 10:06 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> Â*Â*Other than brisket what other cuts do you use?Â* Taxted and Spent
>> needs to get the idea of what that cheap stuff is called in USA.
>>

> Brisket in the US is not cheap!

It used to be cheap.... like ox tails, short ribs and chicken wings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2020 2:40 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I bought 3 Hormel meatloves,

>> I would ask you to report back with a review after trying one
>> but I already know what your answer will be so nevermind. ;-D

> I dunno, never heard of them before! Found it online though.
>
> Apparently very salty and the meat is very well ground so has the
> texture almost of a pate? Reviews are mixed and most who like it, like
> it for the fast time factor.

I'd never heard of Hormel meatloaf, either, so I looked it up.

I'll save Bruce the trouble:

Caramel Color Added Ingredients: Beef and Pork, Tomato Sauce (Tomato
Paste, Vinegar, Water, Seasoning [Sugar, Salt, Flavoring, Soy
Lecithin]), Seasoning (Cracker Meal [Bleached Wheat Flour], Beef Stock,
Whey Protein Concentrate [from Milk], Dextrose, Textured Vegetable
Protein [Soy Protein Concentrate, Caramel Color], Dehydrated Onion,
Encapsulated Salt [Salt, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil], Hydrolyzed Soy
Protein, Dehydrated Bell Peppers, Caramel Color, Worcestershire Sauce
Solids [Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Salt, Caramel Color,
Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices, Tamarind, Natural Flavoring on
Maltodextrin], Parsley, Flavoring), Water.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2020 10:20 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-28 10:06 a.m., jmcquown wrote in reply to Ophelia:
>
>>> Â*Â*Other than brisket what other cuts do you use?Â* Taxted and Spent
>>> needs to get the idea of what that cheap stuff is called in USA.
>>>

>> Brisket in the US is not cheap!

> It used to be cheap.... like ox tails, short ribs and chicken wings.

Add flank steak to that list. When I was a kid Mom bought flank steak
for about 59¢/ per pound. It might have been even less; she shopped at
the military commissary. The last time I looked (last month) flank
steak was selling for $13.99 per pound. It's a very tough cut of meat.
It has to be marinated and then grilled or broiled to no more than
medium rare and sliced very thinly across the grain. Otherwise it's
like chewing on leather shoelaces.

Thanks for reminding me, I have ox tails in the freezer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Thanks for reminding me, I have ox tails in the freezer.

I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-28 10:40 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Brisket in the US is not cheap!

>> It used to be cheap.... like ox tails, short ribs and chicken wings.
>>

> Add flank steak to that list.Â* When I was a kid Mom bought flank steak
> for about 59¢/ per pound.Â* It might have been even less; she shopped at
> the military commissary.Â* The last time I looked (last month) flank
> steak was selling for $13.99 per pound.Â* It's a very tough cut of meat.
> It has to be marinated and then grilled or broiled to no more than
> medium rare and sliced very thinly across the grain.Â* Otherwise it's
> like chewing on leather shoelaces.

My beef about... no pun intended.. is that I don't like to pay those
prices for meat that requires a lot of work, prep time and additional
ingredients, like wine, beer, broth, onions, carrots etc and hours of
cooking when I can pay a little more for a cut of meat that I can slap
on a pan for a couple minutes and it's done.

> Thanks for reminding me, I have ox tails in the freezer.

Mmmmmm. One of my favourites. When I was first married it used to cost
25-30 cents for a bag of oxtails that would be enough for two dinners
for two of us. Not it costs $15-20 to get enough to even bother cooking
them,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 12:08:51 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-28 10:40 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> >> It used to be cheap.... like ox tails, short ribs and chicken wings.
> >>

> > Add flank steak to that list.Â* When I was a kid Mom bought flank steak
> > for about 59¢/ per pound.Â* It might have been even less; she shopped at
> > the military commissary.Â* The last time I looked (last month) flank
> > steak was selling for $13.99 per pound.Â* It's a very tough cut of meat.
> > It has to be marinated and then grilled or broiled to no more than
> > medium rare and sliced very thinly across the grain.Â* Otherwise it's
> > like chewing on leather shoelaces.
> >

> My beef about... no pun intended.. is that I don't like to pay those
> prices for meat that requires a lot of work, prep time and additional
> ingredients, like wine, beer, broth, onions, carrots etc and hours of
> cooking when I can pay a little more for a cut of meat that I can slap
> on a pan for a couple minutes and it's done.

My usual flank steak prep involves a quick wet rub, four hours in the fridge,
then a few minutes on the grill.

It's different from ribeye or New York strip. I like the variety.

Easy peasy.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 May 2020 10:45:42 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>> Thanks for reminding me, I have ox tails in the freezer.

>I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
>burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
>made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

Microwaved bread...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2020 10:45:42 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Thanks for reminding me, I have ox tails in the freezer.

>> I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
>> burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
>> made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

> Microwaved bread...

With dead cow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2020 11:21 AM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

>>> I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
>>> burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
>>> made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

>> Microwaved bread...
>>

> With dead cow.

And yet I believe it when it is said they taste like fresh. Not much to
brag about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 May 2020 11:40:52 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 5/28/2020 11:21 AM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> Microwaved bread...
>>>

>> With dead cow.

That too.

>And yet I believe it when it is said they taste like fresh. Not much to
>brag about.

I can believe it tasted like fresh, except for the bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2020 10:45:42 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >jmcquown wrote:
> >> Thanks for reminding me, I have ox tails in the freezer.

> >I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
> >burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
> >made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

> Microwaved bread...

I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
turns very hard at least on one part.

For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.

Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
2 at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:30:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

> > >I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
> > >burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
> > >made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

> > Microwaved bread...

> I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
> slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
> turns very hard at least on one part.
>
> For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
> No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
> Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
> contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.
>
> Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
> that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
> 2 at a time.

My guess is that your buns have a lot of oil and maybe some potato starch added to it. That makes for some soft bread. We made some bread with potato and butter yesterday. It's all good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 5/28/2020 11:21 AM, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> Microwaved bread...
>>>

>> With dead cow.
>>

> And yet I believe it when it is said they taste like fresh.* Not
> much to brag about.

Mcdonalds have never been very good in my opinion. They have become
even worse. These days, most of the other burger places aren't much
better, but none are any worse (that I know of). The last McD I
went into was near da Loo, because nothing else was available at
the interstate exit I stopped at. Fifty years ago, burger king was
decent, but hasn't been worth a damn in the last 20 years.

If you're in the south, jacks aren't too bad (Note -- don't confuse
with jack-in-the-box, extremely shitty). Steak & shakes were OK
before they died out.

None have hamburgers worth buying in bulk for the freezer. Even
combat C-rations were better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 May 2020 15:28:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
>> >burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
>> >made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

>> Microwaved bread...

>I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
>slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
>turns very hard at least on one part.
>
>For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
>No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
>Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
>contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.
>
>Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
>that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
>2 at a time.

Not soggy either? To the point that the bread tries to pull your back
teeth out?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 2:40:56 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 5/28/2020 11:21 AM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:

> >> Microwaved bread...
> >>

> > With dead cow.
> >

> And yet I believe it when it is said they taste like fresh. Not much to
> brag about.

Zero equals zero.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:30:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

> > >I miss those "good ol days" when I kept up to 40 McDonalds
> > >burgers in the freezer. 2 in each bag and tasted like fresh
> > >made after a brief stop in the microwave. ;-D

> > Microwaved bread...

> I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
> slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
> turns very hard at least on one part.
>
> For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
> No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
> Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
> contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.
>
> Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
> that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
> 2 at a time.

My guess is that your buns have a lot of oil and maybe some potato starch
added to it. That makes for some soft bread. We made some bread with potato
and butter yesterday. It's all good!

====

You made bread with potato and butter???? Recipes please???

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:25:07 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:30:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:

> > > Microwaved bread...

> > I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
> > slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
> > turns very hard at least on one part.
> >
> > For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
> > No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
> > Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
> > contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.
> >
> > Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
> > that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
> > 2 at a time.

> My guess is that your buns have a lot of oil and maybe some potato starch
> added to it. That makes for some soft bread. We made some bread with potato
> and butter yesterday. It's all good!
>
> ====
>
> You made bread with potato and butter???? Recipes please???

> https://www.avg.com

It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...sDvJ-lV5reZfCS

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2020 9:25 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Â*You made bread with potato and butter????Â*Â* Recipes please???

I used to make dinner rolls that way - they were very good. I wonder if
I still have my notes on that...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:25:07 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:30:15 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:

> > > Microwaved bread...

> > I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
> > slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
> > turns very hard at least on one part.
> >
> > For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
> > No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
> > Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
> > contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.
> >
> > Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
> > that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
> > 2 at a time.

> My guess is that your buns have a lot of oil and maybe some potato starch
> added to it. That makes for some soft bread. We made some bread with
> potato
> and butter yesterday. It's all good!
>
> ====
>
> You made bread with potato and butter???? Recipes please???

It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...sDvJ-lV5reZfCS

====

That look lovely)))) Please do let me know the recipe when you are
happy with it!!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 5/28/2020 9:25 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> You made bread with potato and butter???? Recipes please???

I used to make dinner rolls that way - they were very good. I wonder if
I still have my notes on that...

===

It's new to me

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> >  You made bread with potato and butter????  Recipes please???
> >

> I used to make dinner rolls that way - they were very good. I wonder if
> I still have my notes on that...

Even commercial potato rolls are very good.
I've had the dinner rolls and the hotdog rolls.
They make hamburger rolls too.

Can't recall the brand name but they are superior to
most.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

S Viemeister wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> >  You made bread with potato and butter????  Recipes please???
> >

> I used to make dinner rolls that way - they were very good. I wonder if
> I still have my notes on that...

Even commercial potato rolls are very good.
I've had the dinner rolls and the hotdog rolls.
They make hamburger rolls too.

Can't recall the brand name but they are superior to
most.

===

Are the ones you buy made with potato?

I have been making our bread for 'many' decades. I never got the potato
one though)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2020 8:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Â* Are the ones you buy made with potato?
>
> Â*I have been making our bread for 'many' decades.Â* I never got the
> potato one though)

I don't have my notes on the potato rolls with me, but if you can get
hold of a copy of 'The Joy of Cooking', there are a couple of potato
bread recipes there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 May 28, , dsi1 wrote
(in >):

> It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
> recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
> non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
> give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SbG_sDvJ-lV5re
> ZfCS

So...like a way better version of Kings Hawaiian rolls? Because, it
looks like it.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 May 2020 14:22:02 -0700, Leo >
wrote:

>On 2020 May 28, , dsi1 wrote
>(in >):
>
>> It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
>> recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
>> non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
>> give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SbG_sDvJ-lV5re
>> ZfCS

>So...like a way better version of Kings Hawaiian rolls? Because, it
>looks like it.

There is no such thing as better than Hawaiian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 11:17:21 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 10:25:07 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > I know exactly what you're talking about. Microwave bread
> > > slightly and fresh for a minute or so but then quickly
> > > turns very hard at least on one part.
> > >
> > > For some reason, the microwaved burger buns never did that.
> > > No kidding. Maybe because I ate them so fast...yum yum.
> > > Or maybe because one of their many scary ingredients
> > > contained some anti-hardening compound to stem that.
> > >
> > > Seriously, though...never a mv hardened bun in all of those
> > > that I froze then later ate. Always frozen and reheated
> > > 2 at a time.

> > My guess is that your buns have a lot of oil and maybe some potato starch
> > added to it. That makes for some soft bread. We made some bread with
> > potato
> > and butter yesterday. It's all good!
> >
> > ====
> >
> > You made bread with potato and butter???? Recipes please???

> It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
> recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
> non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
> give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...sDvJ-lV5reZfCS
>
> ====
>
> That look lovely)))) Please do let me know the recipe when you are
> happy with it!!

> https://www.avg.com

That's what the old Portuguese would tell me - you start with a potato. Beats me if that's the way they do it in Portugal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 11:22:06 AM UTC-10, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 May 28, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
> > It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
> > recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
> > non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
> > give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SbG_sDvJ-lV5re
> > ZfCS

> So...like a way better version of Kings Hawaiian rolls? Because, it
> looks like it.
>
> leo

That is the case although I can't say it was way better. The Portuguese in Hawaii was important because they gave us the ukulele, Portuguese sausage, and Portuguese sweet bread. There's probably some other things but those are the important ones to me.

When King's Bakery decided to sell their Portuguese sweet bread on the mainland, they wisely decided to change the name to "King's Hawaiian Rolls/Bread because, frankly, Portuguese sweet bread doesn't mean much to people on the mainland. If you ask me, I think the Portuguese malasada could make it big on the mainland too. Of course, they'd have to call it "Hawaiian Malasada."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malasada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2020 14:22:02 -0700, Leo >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2020 May 28, , dsi1 wrote
>> (in >):
>>
>>> It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
>>> recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
>>> non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
>>> give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SbG_sDvJ-lV5re
>>> ZfCS

>> So...like a way better version of King€„¢s Hawaiian rolls? Because, it
>> looks like it.

> There is no such thing as better than Hawaiian.

But they don't have enough sugar in them for americans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 5/29/2020 8:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Are the ones you buy made with potato?
>
> I have been making our bread for 'many' decades. I never got the
> potato one though)

I don't have my notes on the potato rolls with me, but if you can get
hold of a copy of 'The Joy of Cooking', there are a couple of potato
bread recipes there.

===

Thanks

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2020 5:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 5/28/2020 9:25 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Â* You made bread with potato and butter????Â*Â* Recipes please???
>>

> I used to make dinner rolls that way - they were very good. I wonder if
> I still have my notes on that...
>
> ===
>
> Â*Â* It's new to me

Here's a link with a video for making potato rolls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1XaPDp_iE0

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2020 5:22 PM, Leo wrote:
> On 2020 May 28, , dsi1 wrote
> (in >):
>
>> It's a Portuguese pao doce - a brioche type bread. I need to work on the
>> recipe a bit so I'll let you know. This morning I put some butter in a
>> non-stick pan, poured a little sugar on it and then laid the bread on top to
>> give the bread a caramelized glaze. Hoo boy!
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...SbG_sDvJ-lV5re
>> ZfCS

> So...like a way better version of Kings Hawaiian rolls? Because, it
> looks like it.
>
> leo

Hmmm, that doesn't look like King's Hawaiian rolls to me. Pao doce does
have one thing in common with King's Hawaiian bread or rolls. It's too
darn sweet.

Jill