Old 21-05-2020, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Contrast

On 5/15/2020 1:14 PM, Gary wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

Gary wrote:
If people would include a very short description of what the
link shows, I would most likely check out more of them.

Why yes, if only people would do what we wanted them to do, life would certainly be sweet, eh? As we all know, Americans don't like being told what to do - things like wearing a mask when among others or self-quarantining.

I've been self-quarantining for 2 months now and I do wear a mask
when going to a store. Grocery store with mask today...first trip
out in 15 days.

There he goes again making sweeping statements about all Americans. As
if he isn't one.

I've been self-quarantining for two months at least. Not a problem for
me since I really don't feel the need to congregate or socialize with a
bunch of people. I'm perfectly happy with books and my cat and waving
at neighbors when I go to the mailbox. Bird watching and just had a
bunch of does (deer) come wandering up as I sit here at my desk.

I limit contact with people and maintain a 6 foot distance when I'm
shopping. Last time I went I wore a scarf tied like a bandana.

What is your problem? I certainly hope your attitude doesn't
represent all of Hawaii. If this gets out, you'll lose your
valuable tourist industry. Even though you're not part of
that industry, it does affect your prices of everything.

I think he likes to stir stuff up. Ophelia hangs on his every word as
if it's the gospel about what goes on in the United States. I don't get
it. In another thread that drifted to generators and power outages he
told Cindy she'd be better off (during an extended electric outage) to
run her central air conditioning using the battery from her electric
car. Um, she doesn't have an electric car. Even if she did, it's a
stupid idea.

He's as bad as Kuthe if he thinks anyone could (or should) power central
air using a car battery for any length of time. The battery would run
down in hours and hey, if the power is out, how could she recharge the
car battery. Answer is, she couldn't. That's why she bought a gas
generator in the first place.

He talks a lot but he doesn't say much. I'm not planning to live on
kelp or 3-D printed faux food in my lifetime, either. Heh.

As I just posted, I look at all your food pics as they always
look and sound good. Plus I know that I'm clicking on a link
of your meal.

I've looked at some of his food pictures. They look fine but the
majority seem to be take-out meals.

Jill

Old 22-05-2020, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 9:58:24 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:

He's as bad as Kuthe if he thinks anyone could (or should) power central
air using a car battery for any length of time. The battery would run
down in hours and hey, if the power is out, how could she recharge the
car battery. Answer is, she couldn't. That's why she bought a gas
generator in the first place.

A 100kWh battery could power a household for about 4 days. A 200kWh battery could power a house for about twice that long.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/ne...-electric-suv/
Old 22-05-2020, 11:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 9:58:24 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:

He's as bad as Kuthe if he thinks anyone could (or should) power central
air using a car battery for any length of time. The battery would run
down in hours and hey, if the power is out, how could she recharge the
car battery. Answer is, she couldn't. That's why she bought a gas
generator in the first place.

A 100kWh battery could power a household for about 4 days. A 200kWh battery could power a house for about twice that long.

If it were trying to power my entire house, including the hot tub, it
wouldn't last nearly that long. I consumed 2088 kWh last month.

Full disclosu like the clothes dryer, the hot tub isn't on the
generator transfer switch. If we had a prolonged winter power outage,
we'd drain the hot tub and clear the pump so it wouldn't burst.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 22-05-2020, 12:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I consumed 2088 kWh last month.

Yikes, Cindy! I consumed 195 kWh last month.

I just paid the bill yesterday so I happened to have
the info right here on my desk this morning.
My bill was $32.56

And with many minor things turned on almost 24/7 too.
- 2 lights (led)
- 2 fans (bedroom and bathroom)
- TV and 2 clocks
- answering machine
- one computer
- fridge (naturally)

And many other things turned off and on as necessary.

Looking at my "Usage History" on the bill, my highest
usage was last July. 679 kWh.

That was a very hot, humid and miserable damn month
and the AC stayed on often. Early mornings were the
worst with humidy and no wind. Wearing only a t-shirt
and shorts, I would start sweating just walking from
my front door to my van - about 40 steps.
Old 22-05-2020, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 12:20:32 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Would it be safe to assume that during a power outage, you wouldn't be using 70 kWh/day? That would be over twice the national average. What the heck are you running? Just kidding. I don't want to know.

Old 22-05-2020, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

It's the hot tub. We run the outdoor hot tub all year long, even when the
outdoor temperature is colder than your freezer.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 22-05-2020, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 6:44:41 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

We use about 20 kWh/day which costs about 7 bucks a day. I thought that was way too high but now I don't feel too bad about it.
Old 23-05-2020, 05:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Central air here and there's a big difference in an apartment and a
house. I think you once mentioned it's a 2br apartment? Something I
vaguely recall about a workroom that was probably the 2nd bedroom?

Here is quite a bit bigger. Home built in 1963. Like housing then, it
has it's quirks but in any development, you have some in each block
that are upscale of the others. Thats mine. Not obviously bigger from
the street view, it's 7 feet longer (front to back) and some 3ft wider.
It's been added to over the years so has a huge back screened porch
that is 13ft x 44ft plus the corner end was enclosed to a sunroom aka
'4th bedroom' (but technically enclosed porch by VA building code
because the ceiling is 7.5ft). The 1.5 garage was enclosed to an extra
family room.

Clocks in at just over 2,000 sqft. Just under 1,000kwh for April for
$125.
Old 23-05-2020, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

[...]

You forget she lives up north so heat would have been a major factor.
Old 23-05-2020, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 12:47:23 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

[...]

No. I have gas heat. The blower on the furnace runs 24/7, but that
doesn't draw a ton of current.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 23-05-2020, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2020 10:11:42 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

dsi1 wrote:

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 11:38:51 AM UTC-10, GM wrote:

O-o-o-o-o-h...lookie here at dsi1's "Angwy Widdle Man" act...

laffin'

Jill sees right through yer foney - baloney cant...

--
Best
Greg

I understand that your lame taunts might work well with juveniles and
young adults but they won't work on someone of my age. I just think
it's unfortunate that a perve-bully like you is allowed to have
contact with young people. My guess is that you've messed up quite a
few of them in your career.

dsi1, where do you come up with that wildly whacked out insult?
Dislike losing an arguement so much you feel the need to make baseless
insults?

Are you defending Greg Sorrow now?
Old 23-05-2020, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I wonder if there is a way to insulate it a bit better that wouldn't be
really ugly?

I have a friend with a year long outdoor one too. He has it in a
glassed in greenhouse like structure.

Looks a lot like this one:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/charleston-10x13-dotcom-2018/prod22131390?&source=ifpla&itemNumber=980096314&CA WELAID=730010300001906030&msclkid=442dbbd36b2514cc ea4ee51a3f4e692f

Except his is taller, free standing, and has a genuine looking black
cast iron pot bellied stove (wall vented). Portable AC/Dehumidifier
(can run in just dehumidify mode) completes it all. He said his total
cost was about $4000 but worth it as it took his power bill down by the
same amount within 3 years and they really like it.

Old 23-05-2020, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but you don't use heat or AC there. Thats a big difference.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 1:16:11 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

It's completely sprayed with foam insulation within its enclosure.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 24-05-2020, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I have gas heat too but my blower isn't on all the time. We augment
with a fireplace when temps drop to the 30's. The house was well
designed to take advantage of the fireplace well. It gets banked at
night then fired up still hot in the morning.