Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Contrast

On 5/14/2020 10:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/2020 11:28 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> I don't drink milk but my wife goes through more than a gallon every
>>> week with her tea... and I use some in cooking and with cereal.
>>> Dogs and cats shouldn't be given milk as once full grown they become
>>> lactose intolerant and so they throw up.
>>> I did buy Lactaid vanilla
>>> icecream to medicate a cat, a lot easier than trying to force a pill
>>> down their throat... and then shortly after they swallow it they
>>> throw it up under the bed. I use a pill crusher that turns the
>>> pill into powder, then mixed with the Lactaid they lap it up.
>>>

>> Uh, okay. Whenever I had to pill Persia (RB) I tucked it into a
>> Greenie's Pill Pocket. Sometimes she'd just eat the pill pocket and
>> I'd find the pill on the floor. So, barring that, her vet taught me
>> to just open her mouth (gently), pop in a pill, hold her mouth shut
>> and gently stroke her throat. This causes them to reflexively
>> swallow and down goes the pill.
>>
>> Jill

> Doesnt work with all cats. Vet told me tht then I said 'try it on this
> one'. He couldnt get it to work either.

Maybe not, but the vet also suggested hiding her pill in canned
water-packed tuna and she wouldn't eat that, either. She hated all
fishy type cat food. So much for "all cats love fish".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> She hated all
> fishy type cat food. So much for "all cats love fish".

Some cats sure do. Mr.Kitty here would only eat fish
flavored food. He loved "Meow Mix" too for dried stuff.
That must have had a slight fish taste (?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2020 Gary wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> She hated all
>> fishy type cat food. So much for "all cats love fish".

>Some cats sure do. Mr.Kitty here would only eat fish
>flavored food. He loved "Meow Mix" too for dried stuff.
>That must have had a slight fish taste (?)

All our cats had different preferences, most prefered fish but many
prefered poultry, few prefered beef... of all the preferences they all
prefered my pork chops/roasts. None of our cats ever got to try bacon
or lamb... then again I've never seen any cat food labeled contains
bacon/lamb. A lot of dog food contains bacon... just proves that cats
are smarter and dogs have TIAD. A lot of dogs consider eating their
own and other dogs feces a treat.... talk about TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 1:33:44 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> All our cats had different preferences, most prefered fish but many
> prefered poultry, few prefered beef... of all the preferences they all
> prefered my pork chops/roasts. None of our cats ever got to try bacon
> or lamb... then again I've never seen any cat food labeled contains
> bacon/lamb.

At PetSmart, there is at least dry cat food that contains lamb, but I can't
remember the brand name. There's also one there that has a rabbit and duck
combo and I may try a bag of it on Pema.

Blue Wilderness is one she simply will not eat. Two of the neighborhood
cats don't care for it either and the stuff is expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2020 Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> She hated all
>>> fishy type cat food. So much for "all cats love fish".

>> Some cats sure do. Mr.Kitty here would only eat fish
>> flavored food. He loved "Meow Mix" too for dried stuff.
>> That must have had a slight fish taste (?)

> All our cats had different preferences, most prefered fish but many
> prefered poultry, few prefered beef... of all the preferences they all
> prefered my pork chops/roasts. None of our cats ever got to try bacon
> or lamb... then again I've never seen any cat food labeled contains
> bacon/lamb. A lot of dog food contains bacon... just proves that cats
> are smarter and dogs have TIAD. A lot of dogs consider eating their
> own and other dogs feces a treat.... talk about TIAD.

Popeye, yoose need to use more K-Y jelly when yoose go out to the
barn to visit yoose cats. yoose'll get scratched less!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 2:53:02 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Cats don't like health food any more than people do
>
> My old siamese would rather catch a mouse, rat, squirrel or rabbit
> and eat it than store bought food. She eats everything except a
> little dab of innards (gall bladder etc.) With larger prey like
> rabbits, often the hind part is left since she always starts at the
> head. On days she doesn't get a varmint or two, she likes the plain
> walmart special kitty brand just fine.

What I can't stand is when they bring me a 'present' like the head or feet of
an animal they have dispatched. UGH!

> Once I bought some expensive cat snacks like the hipsters buy, but
> she wouldn't touch it. I guess she's like me and has very plebian
> tastes.

None of the cats I've ever had cared for the 'treats' either.

Many years ago I had a part Maine Coon cat and he dearly loved a brand of
dry cat food called "Alley Cat." I'm not even sure that the brand is still
on the market. Anyway, he gets up in the middle of the night to go have a
nibble or two before coming back to bed. I knew he'd been snacking as when
he got back in the bed he plopped on the pillow with me and was breathing
in my face. The garlic on his breath brought me fully awake!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2020 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 2:53:02 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> Cats don't like health food any more than people do
>>
>> My old siamese would rather catch a mouse, rat, squirrel or rabbit
>> and eat it than store bought food. She eats everything except a
>> little dab of innards (gall bladder etc.) With larger prey like
>> rabbits, often the hind part is left since she always starts at the
>> head. On days she doesn't get a varmint or two, she likes the plain
>> walmart special kitty brand just fine.
>>

>What I can't stand is when they bring me a 'present' like the head or feet of
>an animal they have dispatched. UGH!
>>
>> Once I bought some expensive cat snacks like the hipsters buy, but
>> she wouldn't touch it. I guess she's like me and has very plebian
>> tastes.
>>

>None of the cats I've ever had cared for the 'treats' either.
>
>Many years ago I had a part Maine Coon cat and he dearly loved a brand of
>dry cat food called "Alley Cat." I'm not even sure that the brand is still
>on the market. Anyway, he gets up in the middle of the night to go have a
>nibble or two before coming back to bed. I knew he'd been snacking as when
>he got back in the bed he plopped on the pillow with me and was breathing
>in my face. The garlic on his breath brought me fully awake!!!

lol Garlic in cat food is new to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 4:37:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2020 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Many years ago I had a part Maine Coon cat and he dearly loved a brand of
> >dry cat food called "Alley Cat." I'm not even sure that the brand is still
> >on the market. Anyway, he gets up in the middle of the night to go have a
> >nibble or two before coming back to bed. I knew he'd been snacking as when
> >he got back in the bed he plopped on the pillow with me and was breathing
> >in my face. The garlic on his breath brought me fully awake!!!

> lol Garlic in cat food is new to me.

It's been added to cat food here for many years. It seems they like it in
their food as much as humans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2020 15:12:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 4:37:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 22 May 2020 14:05:19 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Many years ago I had a part Maine Coon cat and he dearly loved a brand of
>> >dry cat food called "Alley Cat." I'm not even sure that the brand is still
>> >on the market. Anyway, he gets up in the middle of the night to go have a
>> >nibble or two before coming back to bed. I knew he'd been snacking as when
>> >he got back in the bed he plopped on the pillow with me and was breathing
>> >in my face. The garlic on his breath brought me fully awake!!!

>> lol Garlic in cat food is new to me.
>>

>It's been added to cat food here for many years. It seems they like it in
>their food as much as humans.

Who knows, they might do it here too. I'll always eat more garlic than
them anyway, so it won't bother me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 2:46 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 1:33:44 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> All our cats had different preferences, most prefered fish but many
>> prefered poultry, few prefered beef... of all the preferences they all
>> prefered my pork chops/roasts. None of our cats ever got to try bacon
>> or lamb... then again I've never seen any cat food labeled contains
>> bacon/lamb.
>>

> At PetSmart, there is at least dry cat food that contains lamb, but I can't
> remember the brand name. There's also one there that has a rabbit and duck
> combo and I may try a bag of it on Pema.
>
> Blue Wilderness is one she simply will not eat. Two of the neighborhood
> cats don't care for it either and the stuff is expensive.

Yep, there are lamb cat foods available. Typically lamb & brown rice
for cats with sensitive stomachs. Sheldon orders cat food from Chewey;
all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar to find the
different brands.

Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon! But hey, I don't give her
"people food". I didn't feed Persia people food, either.

Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden stuff),
also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets. Oh, and beef &
liver! Like Persia before her, she's not interested in fishy cat food.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 5:16:08 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2020 15:12:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >> lol Garlic in cat food is new to me.
> >>

> >It's been added to cat food here for many years. It seems they like it in
> >their food as much as humans.

> Who knows, they might do it here too. I'll always eat more garlic than
> them anyway, so it won't bother me

It's like onions, if you and other folks eat then you won't notice it on
their breath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 6:31:14 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
> come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon! But hey, I don't give her
> "people food". I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>
> Jill

The only people food Pema is interested in is a pinch of American or Gouda
cheese. But her preference is American.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 6:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/22/2020 2:46 PM, wrote:
>> On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 1:33:44 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> All our cats had different preferences, most prefered fish but many
>>> prefered poultry, few prefered beef... of all the preferences they all
>>> prefered my pork chops/roasts.Â* None of our cats ever got to try bacon
>>> or lamb... then again I've never seen any cat food labeledÂ* contains
>>> bacon/lamb.
>>>

>> At PetSmart, there is at least dry cat food that contains lamb, but I
>> can't
>> remember the brand name.Â* There's also one there that has a rabbit and
>> duck
>> combo and I may try a bag of it on Pema.
>>
>> Blue Wilderness is one she simply will not eat.Â* Two of the neighborhood
>> cats don't care for it either and the stuff is expensive.
>>

> Yep, there are lamb cat foods available.Â* Typically lamb & brown rice
> for cats with sensitive stomachs.Â* Sheldon orders cat food from Chewey;
> all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar to find the
> different brands.
>
> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
> come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon!Â* But hey, I don't give her
> "people food".Â* I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>
> Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden stuff),
> also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets.Â* Oh, and beef &
> liver!Â* Like Persia before her, she's not interested in fishy cat food.
>
> Jill

Ms Kitty FatCat eats dry cat food from Walmart (Special Kitty I
think) and whatever she catches and kills out in the woods . She won't
touch people food , not meat scraps or any of the stuff cats usually go
for . She dropped in for a visit about 3 or 4 years ago and decided she
would hang around and allow us to feed and care for her .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 8:18 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 5/22/2020 6:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> At PetSmart, there is at least dry cat food that contains lamb, but I
>>> can't
>>> remember the brand name.Â* There's also one there that has a rabbit
>>> and duck
>>> combo and I may try a bag of it on Pema.
>>>
>>> Blue Wilderness is one she simply will not eat.Â* Two of the neighborhood
>>> cats don't care for it either and the stuff is expensive.
>>>

>> Yep, there are lamb cat foods available.Â* Typically lamb & brown rice
>> for cats with sensitive stomachs.Â* Sheldon orders cat food from
>> Chewey; all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar
>> to find the different brands.
>>
>> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
>> come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon!Â* But hey, I don't give her
>> "people food".Â* I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>>
>> Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden
>> stuff), also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets.Â* Oh,
>> and beef & liver!Â* Like Persia before her, she's not interested in
>> fishy cat food.
>>
>> Jill

> Â* Ms Kitty FatCat eats dry cat food from Walmart (Special Kitty I
> think) and whatever she catches and kills out in the woods . She won't
> touch people food , not meat scraps or any of the stuff cats usually go
> for . She dropped in for a visit about 3 or 4 years ago and decided she
> would hang around and allow us to feed and care for her .

That's nice, but you live in a rather dangerous area to be letting a cat
run around outside. There are predators in those woods of yours. I'm
strictly an indoor only cat person.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2020 19:18:23 -0500, Snag > wrote:

>On 5/22/2020 6:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> At PetSmart, there is at least dry cat food that contains lamb, but I
>>> can't
>>> remember the brand name.Â* There's also one there that has a rabbit and
>>> duck
>>> combo and I may try a bag of it on Pema.
>>>
>>> Blue Wilderness is one she simply will not eat.Â* Two of the neighborhood
>>> cats don't care for it either and the stuff is expensive.
>>>

>> Yep, there are lamb cat foods available.Â* Typically lamb & brown rice
>> for cats with sensitive stomachs.Â* Sheldon orders cat food from Chewey;
>> all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar to find the
>> different brands.
>>
>> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
>> come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon!Â* But hey, I don't give her
>> "people food".Â* I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>>
>> Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden stuff),
>> also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets.Â* Oh, and beef &
>> liver!Â* Like Persia before her, she's not interested in fishy cat food.
>>
>> Jill

> Ms Kitty FatCat

If she's fat, guess whose fault that is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 May 2020 20:25:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/22/2020 8:18 PM, Snag wrote:
>>
>> Â* Ms Kitty FatCat eats dry cat food from Walmart (Special Kitty I
>> think) and whatever she catches and kills out in the woods . She won't
>> touch people food , not meat scraps or any of the stuff cats usually go
>> for . She dropped in for a visit about 3 or 4 years ago and decided she
>> would hang around and allow us to feed and care for her .

>That's nice, but you live in a rather dangerous area to be letting a cat
>run around outside. There are predators in those woods of yours. I'm
>strictly an indoor only cat person.

That's better for the cat and better for the local critters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 7:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/22/2020 8:18 PM, Snag wrote:

>>> Yep, there are lamb cat foods available.Â* Typically lamb & brown rice
>>> for cats with sensitive stomachs.Â* Sheldon orders cat food from
>>> Chewey; all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar
>>> to find the different brands.
>>>
>>> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure
>>> does come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon!Â* But hey, I don't
>>> give her "people food".Â* I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>>>
>>> Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden
>>> stuff), also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets.Â* Oh,
>>> and beef & liver!Â* Like Persia before her, she's not interested in
>>> fishy cat food.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Â*Â* Ms Kitty FatCat eats dry cat food from Walmart (Special Kitty I
>> think) and whatever she catches and kills out in the woods . She won't
>> touch people food , not meat scraps or any of the stuff cats usually
>> go for . She dropped in for a visit about 3 or 4 years ago and decided
>> she would hang around and allow us to feed and care for her .

> That's nice, but you live in a rather dangerous area to be letting a cat
> run around outside.Â* There are predators in those woods of yours.Â* I'm
> strictly an indoor only cat person.
>
> Jill

Ms Kitty remains outdoors by choice . She's not exactly feral but she
sure ain't a house cat .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 6:31:14 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
> > come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon! But hey, I don't give her
> > "people food". I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> The only people food Pema is interested in is a pinch of American or Gouda
> cheese. But her preference is American.

Pema is an interesting cat name. Is there a story behind
your choice? Just curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 5/22/2020 6:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/22/2020 2:46 PM, wrote:
>> On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 1:33:44 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> All our cats had different preferences, most prefered fish but many
>>> prefered poultry, few prefered beef... of all the preferences they all
>>> prefered my pork chops/roasts. None of our cats ever got to try bacon
>>> or lamb... then again I've never seen any cat food labeled contains
>>> bacon/lamb.
>>>

>> At PetSmart, there is at least dry cat food that contains lamb, but I
>> can't
>> remember the brand name. There's also one there that has a rabbit and
>> duck
>> combo and I may try a bag of it on Pema.
>>
>> Blue Wilderness is one she simply will not eat. Two of the neighborhood
>> cats don't care for it either and the stuff is expensive.
>>

> Yep, there are lamb cat foods available. Typically lamb & brown rice
> for cats with sensitive stomachs. Sheldon orders cat food from Chewey;
> all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar to find the
> different brands.
>
> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
> come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon! But hey, I don't give her
> "people food". I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>
> Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden stuff),
> also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets. Oh, and beef &
> liver! Like Persia before her, she's not interested in fishy cat food.
>
> Jill

Ms Kitty FatCat eats dry cat food from Walmart (Special Kitty I
think) and whatever she catches and kills out in the woods . She won't
touch people food , not meat scraps or any of the stuff cats usually go
for . She dropped in for a visit about 3 or 4 years ago and decided she
would hang around and allow us to feed and care for her .

Snag

====

Lucky Ms Kitty FatCat and you)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/14/2020 10:08 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Uh, okay. Whenever I had to pill Persia (RB) I tucked it into a
> > > Greenie's Pill Pocket. Sometimes she'd just eat the pill pocket
> > > and I'd find the pill on the floor. So, barring that, her vet
> > > taught me to just open her mouth (gently), pop in a pill, hold
> > > her mouth shut and gently stroke her throat. This causes them to
> > > reflexively swallow and down goes the pill.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Doesnt work with all cats. Vet told me tht then I said 'try it on
> > this one'. He couldnt get it to work either.
> >

> Maybe not, but the vet also suggested hiding her pill in canned
> water-packed tuna and she wouldn't eat that, either. She hated all
> fishy type cat food. So much for "all cats love fish".
>
> Jill

Wierdly, I've never had a cat that liked tuna. They have liked other
things 'seafood' with shrimp being the universal winner.

Current cats (Mona and Luko, 13yo brother and sister)like suriname for
a treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 6:39:58 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > The only people food Pema is interested in is a pinch of American or Gouda
> > cheese. But her preference is American.

> Pema is an interesting cat name. Is there a story behind
> your choice? Just curious.

She is a 'foster' cat which she was supposed to be here for about 6 months.
It's now been 5 years. Anyway, when the man that had her told me her
name I was thinking Pima like the Pima Indians. He said no, she was named
after a Tibetan poetess named Pema ____________. I did not catch the last
name but I did look her up on the internet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/22/2020 8:18 PM, Snag wrote:

>>> Yep, there are lamb cat foods available.* Typically lamb & brown rice
>>> for cats with sensitive stomachs.* Sheldon orders cat food from
>>> Chewey; all he has to do is type lamb cat food into their search bar
>>> to find the different brands.

Chewy has cat food with lamb but most are blends like rabbit and lamb.
They are all rather pricy for a small amount, and brands I never heard
of. I don't intend to order any... the ferals catch their own rabbits,
squirrels, frogs too. Our house cats never go outside, the ferals
never come inside:
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=cat%20...submit-button=

>>> Bacon cat food might not be available (too salty!) but Buffy sure does
>>> come sniffing around when I'm eating bacon!* But hey, I don't give her
>>> "people food".* I didn't feed Persia people food, either.
>>>
>>> Buffy loves canned beef Fancy Feast (pate, not that gravy laden
>>> stuff), also the poultry varieties including turkey & giblets.* Oh,
>>> and beef & liver!* Like Persia before her, she's not interested in
>>> fishy cat food.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> * Ms Kitty FatCat eats dry cat food from Walmart (Special Kitty I
>> think) and whatever she catches and kills out in the woods . She won't
>> touch people food , not meat scraps or any of the stuff cats usually go
>> for . She dropped in for a visit about 3 or 4 years ago and decided she
>> would hang around and allow us to feed and care for her .

>That's nice, but you live in a rather dangerous area to be letting a cat
>run around outside. There are predators in those woods of yours. I'm
>strictly an indoor only cat person.
>
>Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2020 2:36 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2020 20:25:59 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> Chewy has cat food with lamb but most are blends like rabbit and lamb.
> They are all rather pricy for a small amount, and brands I never heard
> of. I don't intend to order any... the ferals catch their own rabbits,
> squirrels, frogs too. Our house cats never go outside, the ferals
> never come inside:

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=cat%20...submit-button=

You've never heard of Purina One? That's the first item that came up in
my search on Chewy for lamb cat food. I mentioned upthread it's for
cats with sensitive stomachs; perhaps your cats don't have that issue.
We all know you don't like lamb so of course your cats wouldn't have
ever tasted lamb. You also despise bacon. Imagine my surprise to
discover Friskies makes canned cat food that contains bacon!

https://www.purina.com/friskies/wet-...ith-real-bacon

Jill