Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cloth Napkins vs Paper Towels (WAS: Dover Sole!)

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:16:42 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:11:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:

> >> I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
> >> enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
> >> go.

> >That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
> >"make a list and check it twice."

> We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
> into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
> the essentials are covered

I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 2:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
> remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.

+1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 24 May 2020 12:29:22 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 10:12:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sat, 23 May 2020 15:06:00 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
>>wrote:

>>>Maintaining a large stash was how I was raised; my mother bought food
>>>in bulk and piled it in the basement. My father never tossed anything
>>>in the trash, he saved thousands of glass jars. My father only bought
>>>used cars, older ones, at one time I remember he had three 1936
>>>Desotos, all running... he figured if he ever needed parts.

>>If he ever needed parts, he had thousands of glass jars.
>>
>>===
>>
>> I have always kept a good store, especially of foods. I is more than
>>ever useful now we are living rather remotely with no shops)

>I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>go.
>
>==
>
> Oh yes) I am not complaining though, you? )))

Not at all. Most people are also at a 26 km distance

===

lol that is good

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Bruce wrote:

> "Ophelia" wrote:
> > I have always kept a good store, especially of foods. I is more than
> >ever useful now we are living rather remotely with no shops)

> I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
> enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
> go.

That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
"make a list and check it twice."

===

Well, I do, but as I said, I do keep a good store so we won't starve

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:11:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Ophelia" wrote:
>> > I have always kept a good store, especially of foods. I is more than
>> >ever useful now we are living rather remotely with no shops)

>> I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>> enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>> go.

>That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>"make a list and check it twice."

We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
the essentials are covered

===

Oh yes!! The people who deliver stuff we order from Amazon are almost
personal friends)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-24 10:35 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 5/24/2020 2:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
>> remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.
>>

> +1

My brother concerned about losing his memory. Every time he went to the
doctor with multiple issues he would forget to mention one or more of
them. I suggested that he make a note of them. He did that, but he
forgot to take the note.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11:15:31 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> Thanks to the new age of menses flow control apparatus, one can ride a bike,
> swim, go bowling, play blackjack, eat a 12 course Chinese meal, skydive,
> play ice hockey, and have mess free period sex, with no worries at all!
> Thank you, Jesus!
>
> https://flexfits.com/pages/trial-landing-page
>
> ===
>
> <g>

> https://www.avg.com

My guess is that pulling that plug out is going to be some nasty, traumatic, experience. It might be a deal-breaker for this product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 5:24:39 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-24 10:35 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 5/24/2020 2:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
> >> remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.
> >>

> > +1

> My brother concerned about losing his memory. Every time he went to the
> doctor with multiple issues he would forget to mention one or more of
> them. I suggested that he make a note of them. He did that, but he
> forgot to take the note.

I take a lot of pictures with my phone. It gets uploaded to my computer automatically. When I review those pictures, I find that my memory of the sequence of events don't match the reality. Our memory of events are all jumbled up. Our brains don't file away events in strict chronological order. That's just a little factoid regarding our memories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 16:00:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 24 May 2020 12:29:22 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 24 May 2020 10:12:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>If he ever needed parts, he had thousands of glass jars.
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>> I have always kept a good store, especially of foods. I is more than
>>>ever useful now we are living rather remotely with no shops)

>>I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>>enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>>go.
>>
>>==
>>
>> Oh yes) I am not complaining though, you? )))

>Not at all. Most people are also at a 26 km distance
>
>===
>
> lol that is good

Yes, we see far more kangaroos than people
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 06:05:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:16:42 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>> >"make a list and check it twice."

>> We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
>> into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
>> the essentials are covered

>I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
>remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I keep a running list and the list sits in an outside pocket of my
manbag so it's always peeking out at me. I add new items to the list
immediately or they get forgotten. I buy everything on the list plus
some items I notice in the store.
My wife keeps her list on her smart phone, however she'll often wait
too long before placing the item on her phone list and it gets
forgotten. Some items on my list my wife will buy when she's by
those stores that carry it at better prices than the in-town store
where I shop. I write down the items on her list so I can check if
she brought them home... she almost always forgets a couple of items
so I'll pick them up next time I shop... I don't mind that we end up
with lots of extra non perishables. Storage space here is never a
problem, we have a huge basement and an even larger barn only that's
not heated so it's not good for items that can freeze, but it's fine
for stacking up paper goods, so long as the birds and other critters
can't get to it or they'll make it all into shreds for nesting
material... the last owners left us an entire wall of steel school
locker cabinets, perfect storage. They stored a lot of hand tools and
hardware there, very usable so we just consolidated it more neatly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11:15:31 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks to the new age of menses flow control apparatus, one can ride a bike,
>> swim, go bowling, play blackjack, eat a 12 course Chinese meal, skydive,
>> play ice hockey, and have mess free period sex, with no worries at all!
>> Thank you, Jesus!
>>
>> https://flexfits.com/pages/trial-landing-page
>>
>> ===
>>
>> <g>
>>

>> --
>> https://www.avg.com

>My guess is that pulling that plug out is going to be some nasty, traumatic, experience. It might be a deal-breaker for this product.

Menstrual "cups" have been around at least since the early 70s, maybe
even earlier. (Tassoway is a brand I recall from way back then)

Although the linked product above is not reusable and washable cup
idea has a certain amount of popularity among those who prefer to use
a product that is not a throwaway product.

And for anyone who decides to use the linked product, I bet there is
no ick factor involved. Between getting periods and having infants,
there is a lot of "stuff" a person just gets used to as part of life.

Before I had kids, if anyone had told me I wouldn't run out of a room
instantly screaming from barf or poop, I'd have never believed it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:43:00 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
>> into town.

>I hate when that happens. Most times, I'll still remember
>most of it but later discover I did forget a few things
>after I get home.
>
>Not a huge deal for me though as my store is only 1 mile
>away and I can just go back a few days later.

Having made that list does help the memory, but yeah, that one thing
that you shouldn't have forgotten...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 06:05:15 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:16:42 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> >That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>> >"make a list and check it twice."

>> We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
>> into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
>> the essentials are covered

>I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
>remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.

Yes, it does help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 16:02:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:11:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:

>>> I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>>> enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>>> go.

>>That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>>"make a list and check it twice."

>We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
>into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
>the essentials are covered
>
>===
>
> Oh yes!! The people who deliver stuff we order from Amazon are almost
>personal friends)

I know our regular delivery guy too Although, half the time we have
to go into town, to the post office depot, to pick deliveries up. It
depends with which service it's sent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 06:04:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 8:13:09 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>> > I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>> > enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>> > go.

>> That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>> "make a list and check it twice."

>16 miles is not that far. I drive 7 miles for a loaf of good bread.
>Although I prefer to make the trip from my office, which is about
>half the distance.

No, but quickly popping out because you forgot something essential is
a drag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 6:43:34 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11:15:31 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> "dsi1" wrote in message
> >>
> >> Thanks to the new age of menses flow control apparatus, one can ride a bike,
> >> swim, go bowling, play blackjack, eat a 12 course Chinese meal, skydive,
> >> play ice hockey, and have mess free period sex, with no worries at all!
> >> Thank you, Jesus!
> >>
> >> https://flexfits.com/pages/trial-landing-page
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> <g>
> >>

> >> --
> >> https://www.avg.com

> >My guess is that pulling that plug out is going to be some nasty, traumatic, experience. It might be a deal-breaker for this product.

> Menstrual "cups" have been around at least since the early 70s, maybe
> even earlier. (Tassoway is a brand I recall from way back then)
>
> Although the linked product above is not reusable and washable cup
> idea has a certain amount of popularity among those who prefer to use
> a product that is not a throwaway product.
>
> And for anyone who decides to use the linked product, I bet there is
> no ick factor involved. Between getting periods and having infants,
> there is a lot of "stuff" a person just gets used to as part of life.
>
> Before I had kids, if anyone had told me I wouldn't run out of a room
> instantly screaming from barf or poop, I'd have never believed it.

You ought to know what you're talking about. Me, I'm just guessing so I'm not saying a thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:50:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 6:43:34 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >My guess is that pulling that plug out is going to be some nasty, traumatic, experience. It might be a deal-breaker for this product.

>> Menstrual "cups" have been around at least since the early 70s, maybe
>> even earlier. (Tassoway is a brand I recall from way back then)
>>
>> Although the linked product above is not reusable and washable cup
>> idea has a certain amount of popularity among those who prefer to use
>> a product that is not a throwaway product.
>>
>> And for anyone who decides to use the linked product, I bet there is
>> no ick factor involved. Between getting periods and having infants,
>> there is a lot of "stuff" a person just gets used to as part of life.
>>
>> Before I had kids, if anyone had told me I wouldn't run out of a room
>> instantly screaming from barf or poop, I'd have never believed it.

>You ought to know what you're talking about. Me, I'm just guessing so I'm not saying a thing.

How did you do when your kids were little?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> Thankfully, my toilet paper does not tear in single sheets

LOL Is your toilet paper one continuous roll? Pull out as much
as you want then use scissors or just tear?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 6:39:50 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > You can even tear as big or small as you want. You can tear
> > one sheet into 2, 3, 4 or more even strips.
> >

> No thanks. If I wanted small sheets of useless paper towels I'd buy the
> select-a-size rolls.
> >
> > I highly recommend this brand. Just try one and see what
> > you think. They are small and loosely rolled so they aren't
> > compressed and are very soft.
> >
> > 35.6 Sq Ft, 53 2-ply sheets for $0.49 (your price may vary)
> > Add tax and that equals about a penny per full sheet
> > Brand is "SPA" paper towels.
> >
> > Manufactured in Spokane, WA so they're probably sold
> > at least nationwide.
> >

> I can tell by the number of sheets per roll and price they are cheap
> paper towels of which I can find truckloads of that type here. Thankfully
> that brand is not available here to add to the other cheap offerings.
>
> I do know that Walmart and Target brand of paper towels are comparable to
> Bounty towels.

This was not meant to be a "paper towel off" competition.
I mearly told what I like and described it.

I don't understand why you are thankful that it not available to
you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I find that the act of writing things down means that I can usually
> remember almost everything on the list even if I leave it at home.

I had a class in Accounting and for the final test (end of year)
he told us that we could use a "cheat sheet" during that test.
Write down anything you want to help for the test as long as it
fits on a large 5x7 index card and you can use it for the test.

That's when I learned to write very small. hehh As I studied
for it, I wrote down all the important things (formulas mostly).
Both sides of the card was packed full of info.

So I took the test and had my cheat sheet but just like you
said, since I had written all the info down, I had learned it
better.

I took the test and never once looked at the card. I scored
a 97 (out of 100).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 12:29:22 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 24 May 2020 10:12:55 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>If he ever needed parts, he had thousands of glass jars.
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>> I have always kept a good store, especially of foods. I is more than
>>>ever useful now we are living rather remotely with no shops)

>>I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>>enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>>go.
>>
>>==
>>
>> Oh yes) I am not complaining though, you? )))

>Not at all. Most people are also at a 26 km distance
>
>===
>
> lol that is good

Yes, we see far more kangaroos than people

----

Hmmm are they friendly? ))

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:11:15 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:

>>> I know what you mean. For us, the supermarket is at 26 kms. That's far
>>> enough to stock up and not want to forget something essential when we
>>> go.

>>That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>>"make a list and check it twice."

>We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
>into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
>the essentials are covered
>
>===
>
> Oh yes!! The people who deliver stuff we order from Amazon are almost
>personal friends)

I know our regular delivery guy too Although, half the time we have
to go into town, to the post office depot, to pick deliveries up. It
depends with which service it's sent.

===

Ahh we are very lucky then) All our stuff is delivered)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 19:32:17 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 24 May 2020 16:00:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>Not at all. Most people are also at a 26 km distance
>>
>>===
>>
>> lol that is good

>Yes, we see far more kangaroos than people
>
>----
>
> Hmmm are they friendly? ))

Yes and they only eat our grass, nothing else. Sometimes they have a
baby and you see this mini-me looking out of the pouch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 19:34:34 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message news >
>On Sun, 24 May 2020 16:02:18 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>>That *is* a long way to go. You would definitely want to
>>>"make a list and check it twice."

>>We often make a shopping list and then forget to bring it when we go
>>into town. But I order wine and cat food online most of the time, so
>>the essentials are covered
>>
>>===
>>
>> Oh yes!! The people who deliver stuff we order from Amazon are almost
>>personal friends)

>I know our regular delivery guy too Although, half the time we have
>to go into town, to the post office depot, to pick deliveries up. It
>depends with which service it's sent.
>
>===
>
> Ahh we are very lucky then) All our stuff is delivered)

Yes, that's better
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 24 May 2020 16:00:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>Not at all. Most people are also at a 26 km distance
>>
>>===
>>
>> lol that is good

>Yes, we see far more kangaroos than people
>
>----
>
> Hmmm are they friendly? ))

Yes and they only eat our grass, nothing else. Sometimes they have a
baby and you see this mini-me looking out of the pouch.

===

Awwww lovely)))

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2020 4:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I know, right? Who bothers to iron napkins? My mother probably did but
>>> she only brought them out on "holidays" anyway.

>>> Since this Covid-19 thing I've started using cloth napkins. For dining,
>>> not blowing my nose! It's not like I make a huge mess when I'm eating so
>>> cloth napkins just make sense. Paper towels are a waste and it really
>>> *is* getting hard to find paper products right now. No big deal to toss
>>> the cloth napkins in the wash.
>>>
>>> They can also be used, with some creative folding and a couple of
>>> elastic bands, be folded into a cloth mask.
>>>
>>> I looked for toilet paper yesterday. I was down to two rolls in each
>>> bathroom. Couldn't find TP anywhere. I did manage to buy a few boxes of
>>> facial tissues and a very small roll of really cheap paper towels. I'm
>>> going to be using the facial tissues as TP. I don't want to think about
>>> using the cheap rough paper towels as TP. I think I'd rather look in the
>>> "rag bag" in the laundry room. My mother left a bag full of cloth
>>> scraps. Alledgely for using as dust rags and polishing rags.
>>>
>>> As far back as I can remember, Mom always had a "rag bag". They've
>>> been sitting there for who knows how long. They're clean, but of course
>>> I'd wash them first.
>>>
>>> There was *no* TP at any of the stores and they had limits on how much
>>> you could buy of anything paper. Looks like I'm going to have to make
>>> due with facial tissue and perhaps rags until there is a re-stocking of
>>> TP down here. Seems like the supply chain has been cut off a bit. Or
>>> the demand is exhorbitant.
>>>
>>> Damned Covid-19. I surely never thought I'd find myself in the middle of
>>> a toilet paper shortage. Not even when preparing for a hurricane. Or
>>> back in west TN when there was the threat of snow and suddenly the
>>> stores ran out of milk and toilet paper. This is totally different.
>>> People are panicking and the supply chain disrupted.
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, I see ads on TV from Angel Soft and Northern saying how much
>>> they're doing to keep production going and they're donating masks and
>>> money to help. Okay, but where is the toilet paper? How come I can't
>>> find any? I find it difficult to believe the small population in this
>>> area have totally decimated your supply.

>> You had better get some kind of container to put it in because you can't
>> flush tissues or paper towels. That will clog up your plumbing.
>>

> I was planning on washing the cloths. Sure you can flush facial tissues.
>>> Just have a problem with buying toilet paper right now. This is
>>> definitely an interesting time to be alive.

>> We usually have a good supply on hand and my wife had picked some up at
>> Costco just after this thing started up. Then I was at Costco and grabbed
>> some just in case. That was more than a month ago and it is still out in
>> the car.
>>

> Good for you! I can't find any.

You are not supposed to flush facial tissues. They might go down your
toilet, but they make clog further down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> You are not supposed to! It does not break down like toilet paper.

>> It will be a rude surprise and an expensive visit from the plumber when
>> the tissues clog her pipes.

> You're the same guy who thinks I wrap tons of toilet paper around my hand
> to wipe my behind. My pipes will be fine, thanks.

You'll cause a clog further down. When people couldn't get TP here, they
were using tissues. The water dept. sent out emails and snail mails telling
people to stop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2020-05-19 7:23 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> It will be a rude surprise and an expensive visit from the plumber when
>>> the tissues clog her pipes.

>> You're the same guy who thinks I wrap tons of toilet paper around my hand
>> to wipe my behind. My pipes will be fine, thanks.

> I challenge you to show me where I said that you do.
> As for your pipes... I will reserve the right to say I told you so.

You're right on this one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2020 7:35 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> You're the same guy who thinks I wrap tons of toilet paper around my
>>> hand to wipe my behind. My pipes will be fine, thanks.

>> I challenge you to show me where I said that you do.
>> As for your pipes... I will reserve the right to say I told you so.
>>

> Okay, you said lots of people do the wrap around the hand thing. It's not
> as if I'm planning to use facial tissue for more than a few days. Point
> is, THERE IS NO TP AVAILABLE in nearby stores. I sure as heck don't want
> to have to use wet rags and have to rinse them out like I was living on
> the Frontier with an outhouse.

I bought a portable bidet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/19/2020 6:37 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> You are not supposed to! It does not break down like toilet paper.

>> Those 'wipes' that claim to be flushable have played havoc in many
>> cities with the sewer systems.
>>

> Not talking about "wipes". Kleenex. Gee, they make TP, too.

Happy clogging!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 6:24:56 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Jill

You may have to be at the stores before 7:00 to find any. I think you said
there is not a Walmart near you but you may have to make an early morning
trip there as well.

I was at Lowe's Home Improvement a couple of weeks ago and even they were
stocking toilet paper.

Everyone has TP here now. There is a shortage of inexpensive plastic bags
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:45:42 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> I challenge you to show me where I said that you do.
> >> As for your pipes... I will reserve the right to say I told you so.
> >>

> > Okay, you said lots of people do the wrap around the hand thing. It's not
> > as if I'm planning to use facial tissue for more than a few days. Point
> > is, THERE IS NO TP AVAILABLE in nearby stores. I sure as heck don't want
> > to have to use wet rags and have to rinse them out like I was living on
> > the Frontier with an outhouse.

> I bought a portable bidet.

How does that work? Does the water have to be heated before you apply it? We used to get ice water coming out of the faucets when we lived out there. That was pretty cool - literally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2020-05-20 12:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> You believe ads on television?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Tongue in cheek, m'dear!

> Toilet paper???? I suppose tongue in cheek would be more appropriate than
> tongue between cheeks.
>
> I can't see the Covid19 situation increasing the need or use of toilet
> paper. I might suggest that, given way that people are hoarding it,
> leading to shortages on store shelves I imagine that people are finding
> ways to cut down on their TP consumption. I am wondering how much the
> manufacturers are planning to make and how much retailers want to have to
> store. At some point this situation will clear up and people will be
> confident of finding it in stores again and they are going to stop
> hoarding it. Lots of people who used to buy it weekly, biweekly or monthly
> are going to have several months supply. Manufacturers and retailers will
> be paying a lot of money for warehouse space to store the stuff that is
> not selling.

The problem here, is the hoarding. Now whenever I see it or paper towels, I
buy them. At one point, our Governor said he might close all the grocery
stores because workers were getting sick. So that put people in a panic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2020-05-21 9:11 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't see the Covid19 situation increasing the need or use of toilet
>>> paper. I might suggest that, given way that people are hoarding it,
>>> leading to shortages on store shelves I imagine that people are finding
>>> ways to cut down on their TP consumption. I am wondering how much the
>>> manufacturers are planning to make and how much retailers want to have
>>> to store. At some point this situation will clear up and people will
>>> be confident of finding it in stores again and they are going to stop
>>> hoarding it. Lots of people who used to buy it weekly, biweekly or
>>> monthly are going to have several months supply. Manufacturers and
>>> retailers will be paying a lot of money for warehouse space to store the
>>> stuff that is not selling.

>> I have a theory that once people stop this tp hoarding panic,
>> and plenty is on the shelves all the time again, all those
>> hoarders won't buy any for months. This could lead to a
>> large supply surplus and no demand.
>>

> That's what I was suggesting.
>
>> At that time, TP might go on great sale prices just because
>> nobody is buying and they need to sell off the surplus.

> It cost money for warehouse space. They will drop the price to get rid of
> it and stores will be using it as a loss leader.

I hope so. Here, the prices have gone way up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 7:07:49 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:50:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 6:43:34 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> >> On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> Menstrual "cups" have been around at least since the early 70s, maybe
> >> even earlier. (Tassoway is a brand I recall from way back then)
> >>
> >> Although the linked product above is not reusable and washable cup
> >> idea has a certain amount of popularity among those who prefer to use
> >> a product that is not a throwaway product.
> >>
> >> And for anyone who decides to use the linked product, I bet there is
> >> no ick factor involved. Between getting periods and having infants,
> >> there is a lot of "stuff" a person just gets used to as part of life.
> >>
> >> Before I had kids, if anyone had told me I wouldn't run out of a room
> >> instantly screaming from barf or poop, I'd have never believed it.

> >You ought to know what you're talking about. Me, I'm just guessing so I'm not saying a thing.

> How did you do when your kids were little?

My experience was probably like a lot of new dads - we found we could do things that we thought we wouldn't be able to. It helped that my wife and I have the exact same ideas on how to raise our kids. That's quite remarkable because our backgrounds were completely different. She was raised in a dysfunctional, abusive, family and I had kind of a sheltered upbringing. I thought it was fine but my dad expressed some regret my protected existence. OTOH, I pretty much turned out like my dad. That's a good thing.

My son, however, is a most remarkable dad. I sometimes wonder how I could have raised such a being.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 11:50:09 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 7:07:49 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:50:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >You ought to know what you're talking about. Me, I'm just guessing so I'm not saying a thing.

>> How did you do when your kids were little?

>My experience was probably like a lot of new dads - we found we could do things that we thought we wouldn't be able to. It helped that my wife and I have the exact same ideas on how to raise our kids. That's quite remarkable because our backgrounds were completely different. She was raised in a dysfunctional, abusive, family and I had kind of a sheltered upbringing. I thought it was fine but my dad expressed some regret my protected existence. OTOH, I pretty much turned out like my dad. That's a good thing.
>
>My son, however, is a most remarkable dad. I sometimes wonder how I could have raised such a being.

It's not surprising that such a wonderful man on such a wonderful
island has such a wonderful father and such a wonderful son. I think
that's just wonderful! You must be Asians to be so wonderful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2020 7:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Those 'wipes' that claim to be flushable have played havoc in many
>>> cities with the sewer systems.
>>>

>> Not talking about "wipes".Â* Kleenex.Â* Gee, they make TP, too.

> Happy clogging!

Nothing clogged and I've gotten toilet paper since May 16th, thanks. I
was actually prepared to use soft clean cotton rags and wash them after
each use.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 7:07:49 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2020 09:50:22 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 6:43:34 AM UTC-10, Boron Elgar wrote:
> >> On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:55:52 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> >> Menstrual "cups" have been around at least since the early 70s, maybe
> >> even earlier. (Tassoway is a brand I recall from way back then)
> >>
> >> Although the linked product above is not reusable and washable cup
> >> idea has a certain amount of popularity among those who prefer to use
> >> a product that is not a throwaway product.
> >>
> >> And for anyone who decides to use the linked product, I bet there is
> >> no ick factor involved. Between getting periods and having infants,
> >> there is a lot of "stuff" a person just gets used to as part of life.
> >>
> >> Before I had kids, if anyone had told me I wouldn't run out of a room
> >> instantly screaming from barf or poop, I'd have never believed it.

> >You ought to know what you're talking about. Me, I'm just guessing so I'm
> >not saying a thing.

> How did you do when your kids were little?

My experience was probably like a lot of new dads - we found we could do
things that we thought we wouldn't be able to. It helped that my wife and I
have the exact same ideas on how to raise our kids. That's quite remarkable
because our backgrounds were completely different. She was raised in a
dysfunctional, abusive, family and I had kind of a sheltered upbringing. I
thought it was fine but my dad expressed some regret my protected existence.
OTOH, I pretty much turned out like my dad. That's a good thing.

My son, however, is a most remarkable dad. I sometimes wonder how I could
have raised such a being.

====

Ahhhh he learned from you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 2:36:34 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Nothing clogged and I've gotten toilet paper since May 16th, thanks. I
> was actually prepared to use soft clean cotton rags and wash them after
> each use.
>
> Jill

I stopped at a Super Walmart about 65 miles east of Nashville yesterday. NO
toilet paper and only the select-a-size paper towels. That's not what I stopped
for but I thought I'd check to see how their supply was holding up.

What I've had trouble getting is canned whole kernel white corn. None at
Kroger, Aldi, Piggly Wiggly, Publix or Walmart. Well, some of the stores
had Del Monte brand at an astronomical price per can. I did stop at a small
chain grocery store in a very small town and pretty confident they'd have it
in stock. Yep! Snagged six cans!