Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dover Sole!

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 10:32:05 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > I was raised with cloth napkins and my wife likes to use cloth napkins.

> I have no issue with people that like to use cloth napkins.
> I have some but only for special dinners with company.
>
> > Under normal circumstances you can use them lots of time, but if you get
> > something particularly messy, the sort of thing for which you really
> > need a napkin, they get too dirty to be re-used. I am thinking things
> > like chicken wings, ribs etc.

> Ok, that's a bit weird to me, Dave.
> Using the same cloth napkin for several meals as long as
> they don't get too messy?
>
> When I do use mine, one meal only then they get washed.

That's because you only use them for special dinners with company.

I could probably go all day on one napkin.

Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal. Unless I miss my mouth with the spoon like
a toddler, I don't need a napkin at all.

Lunch: a sandwich or bowl of soup or something. I might use one corner of
one side of the napkin.

Dinner: Usually salad, meat, bread. There goes another corner.

In the interest of hygiene, I then put the napkin in the laundry.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.

> Meh. It was fine when it was inside their nose. Suddenly it becomes
> horrifying when it's on a handkerchief?

Poop is fine while inside your butt, Cindy. Do you save the
last bit of toilet paper for the next dump if it still has
a clean corner or two left? Kinda like you treat your cloth
napkins?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 11:18:50 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.

> > Meh. It was fine when it was inside their nose. Suddenly it becomes
> > horrifying when it's on a handkerchief?

> Poop is fine while inside your butt, Cindy. Do you save the
> last bit of toilet paper for the next dump if it still has
> a clean corner or two left? Kinda like you treat your cloth
> napkins?

Of course not. Poop stinks.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.

Blowing nose in a hankie sounds disgusting to me too.

Reminds me of the movie, "Pretty Woman."
She was in the hotel manager's office and started crying
so he gave her his handkerchief so she could wipe her tears.

She wiped her tears then blew her nose in it. You could see
that he was horrified when she did that. funny scene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 5:33:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.

> Blowing nose in a hankie sounds disgusting to me too.
>
> Reminds me of the movie, "Pretty Woman."
> She was in the hotel manager's office and started crying
> so he gave her his handkerchief so she could wipe her tears.
>
> She wiped her tears then blew her nose in it. You could see
> that he was horrified when she did that. funny scene

The Japanese word for snot is "hanakuso."

Hana = nose
Kuso = shit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 10:30:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I was raised with cloth napkins and my wife likes to use cloth napkins.

>I have no issue with people that like to use cloth napkins.
>I have some but only for special dinners with company.
>
>> Under normal circumstances you can use them lots of time, but if you get
>> something particularly messy, the sort of thing for which you really
>> need a napkin, they get too dirty to be re-used. I am thinking things
>> like chicken wings, ribs etc.

>Ok, that's a bit weird to me, Dave.
>Using the same cloth napkin for several meals as long as
>they don't get too messy?
>
>When I do use mine, one meal only then they get washed.

I still have my lovely napkin ring from when I was a kid. Ever seen
them? They were to keep the napkin in order from meal to meal. Kids
were expected to get a few less meals out of them than adults.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-18 10:40 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 12:31:18 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When I was a kid I had old maid aunts who used to give us hankies
>> every Christmas. Quite frankly, the idea of blowing my nose into a
>> hankie and then folding it up and sticking it into my pocket and
>> carrying it around for the rest of the day... possibly re-using it
>> grossed me out.

> At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the
> utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty
> material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then
> carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some
> pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.

I can imagine. I don't want to blow snot into a hankie and then stuff
it into my pocket. That ranks up there with blowing your nose into a
tissue and then tucking it under the cuff of a sweater. yech

While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
others by spitting everywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 6:01:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-18 10:40 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 12:31:18 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> When I was a kid I had old maid aunts who used to give us hankies
> >> every Christmas. Quite frankly, the idea of blowing my nose into a
> >> hankie and then folding it up and sticking it into my pocket and
> >> carrying it around for the rest of the day... possibly re-using it
> >> grossed me out.

> > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the
> > utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty
> > material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then
> > carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some
> > pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.
> >

> I can imagine. I don't want to blow snot into a hankie and then stuff
> it into my pocket. That ranks up there with blowing your nose into a
> tissue and then tucking it under the cuff of a sweater. yech
>

> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> others by spitting everywhere.

There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate. I shall check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people should only spit straight up into the air.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2020 02:48:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
>>> A while before permanent press.

>> We're talking about using cloth napkins now, not 70 years ago.

>>> He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
>>> they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.

>> He likes having a stack of paper napkins in a basket on the coffee table (which
>> is where we take our meals). A roll of paper towels there would be
>> inconvenient.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> How inconvenient?
> We don't leave the roll of paper towels on the table, one sheet for
> each folded in half with silverware atop along side a plate is not in
> the least inconvenient... actually a half sheet of Bounty
> Select-A-Size is just right. I pre-tear and fold a stack to fill a
> napkin holder... I keep a stack folded in my nightstand drawer and in
> my computer desk drawer, extremely convenient. There's also a roll in
> the center console of each car and a roll aboard the tractors. and a
> roll in a cabinet in the barn, can't leave it out in the open or the
> birds consider it nesting material.
>
> A package of ordinary paper napkins are pretty crappy, stiff,
> scratchy, and not at all absorbant, and the fancy schmancy paper
> napkins are too expensive and not very absorbant either. Bounty
> Select-A-Size paper towels are perfect in every respect.

The finest paper towels in the universe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> others by spitting everywhere.

LOL. Forget that Chinese theory for a minute...
Ever watch an american MLB baseball game? ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> > cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> > others by spitting everywhere.

> There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate. I shall check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people should only spit straight up into the air.

That's a pet peeve of mine. I've heard many men (those pigs) spit
in a very loud ritual manner.

3 loud steps:
1) loudly suck in snot from your nose down into throat
2) very loud hoc sound to bring it up into your mouth
3) followed by an extremely loud spit

This is one reason I don't carry a gun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:

> Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > Select-A-Size paper towels are perfect in every respect.
> >

> The finest paper towels in the universe!

LOL. While those select-a-size paper towels are nice,
you pay extra for that feature. I'll bet he
doesn't realize that *ALL* paper towels of any
brand are also 'select-a-size."

All you have to do is tear them from one perforated side
to the other perforated side and they all tear evenly.
If you try to tear one from the 'end of roll' side,
they will rip apart in a random manner and be a mess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-18 1:00 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

>> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of
>> snotty cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for
>> grossing out others by spitting everywhere.

> There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate.
> I shall check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people
> should only spit straight up into the air.

Or into a strong wind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-05-18 1:00 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>

> >> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of
> >> snotty cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for
> >> grossing out others by spitting everywhere.

> > There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate.
> > I shall check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people
> > should only spit straight up into the air.
> >

> Or into a strong wind.

<spit>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-18 1:21 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
>> cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
>> others by spitting everywhere.

> LOL. Forget that Chinese theory for a minute...
> Ever watch an american MLB baseball game? ;-D

Or hockey. I saw a news report online not too long ago about Chinese
tourists and the problem with spitting.

https://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/2016...093734703.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 4:48:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 5:58:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
> > >

> > Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
> > A while before permanent press.

> We're talking about using cloth napkins now, not 70 years ago.

I was responding to your comment which I thought was directed to me about
ironing being a riot. You should have snipped my name and comment if you
were directing your comment to Sheldon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 9:32:05 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > I was raised with cloth napkins and my wife likes to use cloth napkins.

> I have no issue with people that like to use cloth napkins.
> I have some but only for special dinners with company.
>
> > Under normal circumstances you can use them lots of time, but if you get
> > something particularly messy, the sort of thing for which you really
> > need a napkin, they get too dirty to be re-used. I am thinking things
> > like chicken wings, ribs etc.

> Ok, that's a bit weird to me, Dave.
> Using the same cloth napkin for several meals as long as
> they don't get too messy?
>
> When I do use mine, one meal only then they get washed.

I did read an article many years ago that cloth napkins were indeed meant to
be used more than one. The accepted manner was to refold/roll your napkin
and place it back into your napkin ring. At the next meal you were to use
the corner of the napkin that had not been previously used. The idea was to
use your napkin for four meals before it had to be laundered. And at the
time this was recommended, laundry was done with a washboard and by hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 10:33:11 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Blowing nose in a hankie sounds disgusting to me too.

Not as disgusting as stepping to the curb and blowing all that gunk out into
the gutter/sidewalk for the world to see. Then you wipe your fingers on your
nose to get what's hanging there to only fling that into the air and then wipe
your fingers on your or pants.

Now, tell us which is the most disgusting sounding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 11:05:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 10:33:11 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Blowing nose in a hankie sounds disgusting to me too.
>>

>Not as disgusting as stepping to the curb and blowing all that gunk out into
>the gutter/sidewalk for the world to see. Then you wipe your fingers on your
>nose to get what's hanging there to only fling that into the air and then wipe
>your fingers on your or pants.
>
>Now, tell us which is the most disgusting sounding.

Both equally disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 6:01:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-18 10:40 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 12:31:18 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> When I was a kid I had old maid aunts who used to give us hankies
> >> every Christmas. Quite frankly, the idea of blowing my nose into a
> >> hankie and then folding it up and sticking it into my pocket and
> >> carrying it around for the rest of the day... possibly re-using it
> >> grossed me out.

> > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the
> > utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty
> > material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then
> > carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some
> > pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.
> >

> I can imagine. I don't want to blow snot into a hankie and then stuff
> it into my pocket. That ranks up there with blowing your nose into a
> tissue and then tucking it under the cuff of a sweater. yech
>

> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> others by spitting everywhere.

There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate. I shall
check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people should only
spit straight up into the air.

---

Pake?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 1:54:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 4:48:55 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
> > > A while before permanent press.

> > We're talking about using cloth napkins now, not 70 years ago.
> >

> I was responding to your comment which I thought was directed to me about
> ironing being a riot. You should have snipped my name and comment if you
> were directing your comment to Sheldon.

I'm sorry if I screwed up the attributions when I was snipping. We've
got a couple (at least) discussions going. One on using cloth napkins
in a contemporary setting and another on historic laundry technology.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 8:47:59 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 6:01:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the
> > > utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty
> > > material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then
> > > carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some
> > > pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.
> > >

> > I can imagine. I don't want to blow snot into a hankie and then stuff
> > it into my pocket. That ranks up there with blowing your nose into a
> > tissue and then tucking it under the cuff of a sweater. yech
> >

> > While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> > cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> > others by spitting everywhere.

> There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate. I shall
> check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people should only
> spit straight up into the air.
>
> ---
>
> Pake?

> https://www.avg.com

That would be the Hawaiian word for Chinese. Oddly enough, it's also the Hawaiian word for a person that's tight with their money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2YLvGGtwY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 1:55:11 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 1:54:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > I was responding to your comment which I thought was directed to me about
> > ironing being a riot. You should have snipped my name and comment if you
> > were directing your comment to Sheldon.

> I'm sorry if I screwed up the attributions when I was snipping. We've
> got a couple (at least) discussions going. One on using cloth napkins
> in a contemporary setting and another on historic laundry technology.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

No problem!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 8:47:59 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 6:01:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the
> > > utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty
> > > material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then
> > > carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some
> > > pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.
> > >

> > I can imagine. I don't want to blow snot into a hankie and then stuff
> > it into my pocket. That ranks up there with blowing your nose into a
> > tissue and then tucking it under the cuff of a sweater. yech
> >

> > While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> > cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> > others by spitting everywhere.

> There's some people here that will do that. That's so inconsiderate. I
> shall
> check to see if these people look pake. If you ask me, people should only
> spit straight up into the air.
>
> ---
>
> Pake?

That would be the Hawaiian word for Chinese. Oddly enough, it's also the
Hawaiian word for a person that's tight with their money.

Ahh ok thanks)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2YLvGGtwY

I love this song. I saved it a while ago LOL

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 11:05:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 10:33:11 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Blowing nose in a hankie sounds disgusting to me too.
>>

>Not as disgusting as stepping to the curb and blowing all that gunk out into
>the gutter/sidewalk for the world to see. Then you wipe your fingers on your
>nose to get what's hanging there to only fling that into the air and then wipe
>your fingers on your or pants.
>
>Now, tell us which is the most disgusting sounding.

Ah, you're describing the Chinese practice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 3:02:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2020 11:05:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 10:33:11 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> Blowing nose in a hankie sounds disgusting to me too.
> >>

> >Not as disgusting as stepping to the curb and blowing all that gunk out into
> >the gutter/sidewalk for the world to see. Then you wipe your fingers on your
> >nose to get what's hanging there to only fling that into the air and then wipe
> >your fingers on your or pants.
> >
> >Now, tell us which is the most disgusting sounding.

> Ah, you're describing the Chinese practice.

I've seen plenty, sad to say, mainlanders of all different races do that
disgusting gesture. Winter seems to be the most active season for that.

UGH.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 13:08:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 3:02:39 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 18 May 2020 11:05:31 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Not as disgusting as stepping to the curb and blowing all that gunk out into
>> >the gutter/sidewalk for the world to see. Then you wipe your fingers on your
>> >nose to get what's hanging there to only fling that into the air and then wipe
>> >your fingers on your or pants.
>> >
>> >Now, tell us which is the most disgusting sounding.

>> Ah, you're describing the Chinese practice.
>>

>I've seen plenty, sad to say, mainlanders of all different races do that
>disgusting gesture. Winter seems to be the most active season for that.

I'm sure all races do it, but if it was an Olympic sport, the Chinese
would win.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith Said:

While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
others by spitting everywhere.

I was in China in 2016 and while I did
see spitting in the streets, there were
no spitting signs in every public/tourist
venue. There were fines attached to
spitting at the airport for one. Lots of
trouble for you if you spit in Tiannamen
Square, the Summer Palace or at the
wall.

I should mention (ob food), that the food
was out of this world fabulous. The
breakfast buffets are way better than even
the famed Scandinavian breakfasts.

Awful country as far as politics and human
rights violations, but a great place to visit.

Nellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-18 5:12 p.m., Nellie wrote:
> Dave Smith Said:
>

> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> others by spitting everywhere.
>
> I was in China in 2016 and while I did
> see spitting in the streets, there were
> no spitting signs in every public/tourist
> venue. There were fines attached to
> spitting at the airport for one. Lots of
> trouble for you if you spit in Tiannamen
> Square, the Summer Palace or at the
> wall.
>
> I should mention (ob food), that the food
> was out of this world fabulous. The
> breakfast buffets are way better than even
> the famed Scandinavian breakfasts.

Wow. That says a lot. It's been more than 20 years since my first trip
to Denmark and I still remember what an incredible experience the
breakfast buffet was. That was where I discovered Vienbrot. I was a
little disappointed on my third trip when we stayed at the same hotel as
we had 7 a few years later and found the reduced menu and, worse, the
lower quality.

On one trip to Denmark we had flown to Hamburg and stayed our first
night in Lubeck and had the best breakfast buffet I have ever had. We
also had an exceptionally good one in Garmishe-Partenkircken in Bavaria.

My good buddy is a retired airline pilot who flew to China many times.
He has told me many times about the great food there.

> Awful country as far as politics and human
> rights violations, but a great place to visit.

We knew a woman who was there on business in the 1980s. She was
impressed with a lot of things, but she was thoroughly disgusted by the
spitting. She talked of being in nice restaurants and how there were
slimy stains of saliva and mucous from people spitting on the floors and
the walls. Around here people are disgusted by people spitting on the
street and into gutters. It is just unimaginable that someone would spit
on an interior wall or floor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 17:41:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On one trip to Denmark we had flown to Hamburg and stayed our first
>night in Lubeck and had the best breakfast buffet I have ever had. We
>also had an exceptionally good one in Garmishe-Partenkircken

Close but no cigar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith
On 2020-05-18 5:12 p.m., Nellie wrote:
> Dave Smith Said:
>

> While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
> cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
> others by spitting everywhere.
>
> I was in China in 2016 and while I did
> see spitting in the streets, there were
> no spitting signs in every public/tourist
> venue. There were fines attached to
> spitting at the airport for one. Lots of
> trouble for you if you spit in Tiannamen
> Square, the Summer Palace or at the
> wall.
>
> I should mention (ob food), that the food
> was out of this world fabulous. The
> breakfast buffets are way better than even
> the famed Scandinavian breakfasts.

Wow. That says a lot. It's been more than 20 years since my first trip
to Denmark and I still remember what an incredible experience the
breakfast buffet was. That was where I discovered Vienbrot. I was a
little disappointed on my third trip when we stayed at the same hotel as
we had 7 a few years later and found the reduced menu and, worse, the
lower quality.

On one trip to Denmark we had flown to Hamburg and stayed our first
night in Lubeck and had the best breakfast buffet I have ever had. We
also had an exceptionally good one in Garmishe-Partenkircken in Bavaria.

My good buddy is a retired airline pilot who flew to China many times.
He has told me many times about the great food there.

> Awful country as far as politics and human
> rights violations, but a great place to visit.

We knew a woman who was there on business in the 1980s. She was
impressed with a lot of things, but she was thoroughly disgusted by the
spitting. She talked of being in nice restaurants and how there were
slimy stains of saliva and mucous from people spitting on the floors and
the walls. Around here people are disgusted by people spitting on the
street and into gutters. It is just unimaginable that someone would spit
on an interior wall or floor.

€”€”€”-
The Chinese want our tourist dollars
( our flight was very cheap) and
also are concerned with how they look to
the world (politics aside) So No, no more
spitting in the nicer restaurants.

I know what youre saying about Scandinavian
buffets, Ive been there several times, but imagine, if you will, three times the
offerings. You liked that Chinese place
on Geary St in San Francisco? Its good,
but yowee, I miss the food in China.

Nellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > > At the risk of being called "racist", a lot of Asians love the
> > > utility value of carrying a hankie but the idea of blowing dirty
> > > material from one's nose into their beloved handkerchief and then
> > > carrying it with them as if nothing has happened will evoke some
> > > pretty strong feelings - mostly horror and disgust.

> > Meh. It was fine when it was inside their nose. Suddenly it
> > becomes horrifying when it's on a handkerchief?

> Poop is fine while inside your butt, Cindy. Do you save the
> last bit of toilet paper for the next dump if it still has
> a clean corner or two left? Kinda like you treat your cloth
> napkins?

Gary, most people wash cloth napkins after a single meal. They don't
'save them' because they are 'mostly clean' for the second meal. Why
did you assume they were saved for a second use before washing?

Oh I do use them a second time, but only if the sink needs wiping out a
bit before cleaning it properly. Like to scoot some peelings from the
meal to the drain or something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nellie" wrote in message

Dave Smith Said:

While Chinese may recoil at the thought of stuffing a wad of snotty
cloth into to their pockets they have a reputation for grossing out
others by spitting everywhere.

I was in China in 2016 and while I did
see spitting in the streets, there were
no spitting signs in every public/tourist
venue. There were fines attached to
spitting at the airport for one. Lots of
trouble for you if you spit in Tiannamen
Square, the Summer Palace or at the
wall.

I should mention (ob food), that the food
was out of this world fabulous. The
breakfast buffets are way better than even
the famed Scandinavian breakfasts.

Awful country as far as politics and human
rights violations, but a great place to visit.

Nellie

===

Will you go back? I have lived in several countries and would never
go back.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Gary, most people wash cloth napkins after a single meal. They don't
> 'save them' because they are 'mostly clean' for the second meal. Why
> did you assume they were saved for a second use before washing?

Carol, I didn't assume that. It was a reference to an earlier
discussion that morning that you didn't read:

Then Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> That's because you only use them for special dinners with company.
>
> I could probably go all day on one napkin.
>
> Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal. Unless I miss my mouth with the spoon like
> a toddler, I don't need a napkin at all.
>
> Lunch: a sandwich or bowl of soup or something. I might use one corner of
> one side of the napkin.
>
> Dinner: Usually salad, meat, bread. There goes another corner.
>
> In the interest of hygiene, I then put the napkin in the laundry.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Original post I just quoted from:

Subject: Dover Sole!
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 07:44:14 -0700 (PDT) (10:44 Eastern)
From: Cindy Hamilton >
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2020 4:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-17 2:19 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
>>> operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
>>> the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
>>> wringer to remove the soap."

>> Read again Gary, he didn't deny it.
>>

> I think what you are trying hard to wrap your head around is that I
> described what laundry day used to be like, that it was an all day job,
> not just sticking a load in and then watching soap operas until the load
> was done,Â* and then there is your recognition of what it was like when
> there were automatic washing machines and televisions airing melodramas
> aimed at the female audience and they are called soap operas.Â* I won't
> deny that.

I do believe you also once said that if, after you retired, you found
yourself watching soap operas all day you'd shoot yourself. You've
managed to keep plenty busy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cloth Napkins vs Paper Towels (WAS: Dover Sole!)

On 5/17/2020 7:41 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
>>> he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
>> half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
>> tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
>> think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.

I know, right? Who bothers to iron napkins? My mother probably did but
she only brought them out on "holidays" anyway.

> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> would be insignificant.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Since this Covid-19 thing I've started using cloth napkins. For dining,
not blowing my nose! It's not like I make a huge mess when I'm eating
so cloth napkins just make sense. Paper towels are a waste and it
really *is* getting hard to find paper products right now. No big deal
to toss the cloth napkins in the wash.

They can also be used, with some creative folding and a couple of
elastic bands, be folded into a cloth mask.

I looked for toilet paper yesterday. I was down to two rolls in each
bathroom. Couldn't find TP anywhere. I did manage to buy a few boxes
of facial tissues and a very small roll of really cheap paper towels.
I'm going to be using the facial tissues as TP. I don't want to think
about using the cheap rough paper towels as TP. I think I'd rather look
in the "rag bag" in the laundry room. My mother left a bag full of
cloth scraps. Alledgely for using as dust rags and polishing rags.

As far back as I can remember, Mom always had a "rag bag". They've
been sitting there for who knows how long. They're clean, but of course
I'd wash them first.

There was *no* TP at any of the stores and they had limits on how much
you could buy of anything paper. Looks like I'm going to have to make
due with facial tissue and perhaps rags until there is a re-stocking of
TP down here. Seems like the supply chain has been cut off a bit. Or
the demand is exhorbitant.

Damned Covid-19. I surely never thought I'd find myself in the middle
of a toilet paper shortage. Not even when preparing for a hurricane.
Or back in west TN when there was the threat of snow and suddenly the
stores ran out of milk and toilet paper. This is totally different.
People are panicking and the supply chain disrupted.

Meanwhile, I see ads on TV from Angel Soft and Northern saying how much
they're doing to keep production going and they're donating masks and
money to help. Okay, but where is the toilet paper? How come I can't
find any? I find it difficult to believe the small population in this
area have totally decimated your supply.

The good thing is, I won't be running out of food. I always knew having
a stand-alone freezer and stocking up the fridge and pantry was a good
idea.

Just have a problem with buying toilet paper right now. This is
definitely an interesting time to be alive.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-19 3:15 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/17/2020 4:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I think what you are trying hard to wrap your head around is that I
>> described what laundry day used to be like, that it was an all day
>> job, not just sticking a load in and then watching soap operas until
>> the load was done,Â* and then there is your recognition of what it was
>> like when there were automatic washing machines and televisions airing
>> melodramas aimed at the female audience and they are called soap
>> operas.Â* I won't deny that.

> I do believe you also once said that if, after you retired, you found
> yourself watching soap operas all day you'd shoot yourself.Â* You've
> managed to keep plenty busy.

You're close Jill. I had said that if I every found myself watching
Jerry Springer on day time TV I would have to go out and get a job. It
will be 16 years next month and I have not had to look for work. I do
occasionally watch the news, You Gotta Eat here or Diners Drive-ins and
Dives while I have lunch. There was an exceptionally cold spell where
were stayed in and binge watched 24 and. Then there was a couple months
of recovery from heart surgery where I watched a lot of movies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-19 4:30 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/17/2020 7:41 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>>> On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
>>> half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
>>> tissues.Â* I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
>>> think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

>> Ironing.Â* Heh.Â* You're a laugh riot.
>>

> I know, right?Â* Who bothers to iron napkins?Â* My mother probably did but
> she only brought them out on "holidays" anyway.
>
>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins.Â* It would save
>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> would be insignificant.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Since this Covid-19 thing I've started using cloth napkins.Â* For dining,
> not blowing my nose!Â* It's not like I make a huge mess when I'm eating
> so cloth napkins just make sense.Â* Paper towels are a waste and it
> really *is* getting hard to find paper products right now.Â* No big deal
> to toss the cloth napkins in the wash.
>
> They can also be used, with some creative folding and a couple of
> elastic bands, be folded into a cloth mask.
>
> I looked for toilet paper yesterday.Â* I was down to two rolls in each
> bathroom.Â* Couldn't find TP anywhere.Â* I did manage to buy a few boxes
> of facial tissues and a very small roll of really cheap paper towels.
> I'm going to be using the facial tissues as TP.Â* I don't want to think
> about using the cheap rough paper towels as TP.Â* I think I'd rather look
> in the "rag bag" in the laundry room.Â* My mother left a bag full of
> cloth scraps.Â* Alledgely for using as dust rags and polishing rags.
>
> As far back as I can remember, Mom always had a "rag bag". Â* They've
> been sitting there for who knows how long.Â* They're clean, but of course
> I'd wash them first.
>
> There was *no* TP at any of the stores and they had limits on how much
> you could buy of anything paper.Â* Looks like I'm going to have to make
> due with facial tissue and perhaps rags until there is a re-stocking of
> TP down here.Â* Seems like the supply chain has been cut off a bit.Â* Or
> the demand is exhorbitant.
>
> Damned Covid-19.Â* I surely never thought I'd find myself in the middle
> of a toilet paper shortage.Â* Not even when preparing for a hurricane. Or
> back in west TN when there was the threat of snow and suddenly the
> stores ran out of milk and toilet paper.Â* This is totally different.
> People are panicking and the supply chain disrupted.
>
> Meanwhile, I see ads on TV from Angel Soft and Northern saying how much
> they're doing to keep production going and they're donating masks and
> money to help.Â* Okay, but where is the toilet paper?Â* How come I can't
> find any?Â* I find it difficult to believe the small population in this
> area have totally decimated your supply.

You had better get some kind of container to put it in because you can't
flush tissues or paper towels. That will clog up your plumbing.

> Just have a problem with buying toilet paper right now.Â* This is
> definitely an interesting time to be alive.

We usually have a good supply on hand and my wife had picked some up at
Costco just after this thing started up. Then I was at Costco and
grabbed some just in case. That was more than a month ago and it is
still out in the car.