Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dover Sole!

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 8:59:51 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:33:15 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> > > It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared
> > >

> > My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well
> > as
> > my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work always
> > used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

> My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
> he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> So do we, but in this case it is for our noses) ))
>
> Please describe how it uses it? Not too sure about bandanas)

It's a square of cotton cloth, printed with a pattern. He prefers
red or black.

He whips it out of his pocket, blows and/or wipes his nose, folds it
carefully and puts it back in his pocket.

Sometimes if he hasn't already used it for that purpose, he'll wipe
his glasses with it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:40:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >>

> > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
> >
> > I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> > would be insignificant.
> >

> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.

How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
_not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
the ones I already have.

I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 7:40 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>>>

>> Ironing.Â* Heh.Â* You're a laugh riot.
>>
>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins.Â* It would save
>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> would be insignificant.
>>

> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

You can also to a restaurant supply store and get a napkin dispenser>
Then your dining room can really look like a cheap diner:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 09:40:33 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>>>

>> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>>
>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> would be insignificant.

>You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

And then factor in the cost and time spent of laundering, ironing, and
folding each one for each person after each meal. People who claim to
use a fresh cloth napkin for each meal are simply attempting to
convince us that they are royalty who has their maid do all that slave
labor. Many years ago my mother used table linen, but then with paper
products taking their place it was like a gift from the heavens. And
paper is far more sanitary... we use paper plates for food that isn't
juicy and needs no cutting... a sandwhich needs no plate. My favorite
serving piece for sandwiches and such is the small wooden cutting
board that the sandwich was prepared on and typically the board is
covered with a paper towel. We have friends our age who grew up in
parts of Europe and they eat off wooden boards too, called trenchers,
that's how they ate growing up... even steaks are eaten from
trenchers, no need for serrated knives. Using serrated cutlery is
extremely crass. When high end pricy steak houses provide serrated
cutlery no way do they deserve those prices, making diners saw their
steaks as with hacksaws... just proves their steaks are not prime
beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 10:51:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 09:40:33 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >>>
> >> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
> >>
> >> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> >> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> >> would be insignificant.

> >You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> And then factor in the cost and time spent of laundering, ironing, and
> folding each one for each person after each meal. People who claim to
> use a fresh cloth napkin for each meal are simply attempting to
> convince us that they are royalty who has their maid do all that slave
> labor.

Horrors. Fourteen napkins a week. I'd have to quit my job to manage
the workload.

When we use cloth napkins, I don't iron them. I take them out of the
basket full of clean laundry, smooth them out, and fold them.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > always lots >> >> of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot
> > roast beef sandwiches >> >> and once or twice a week it would be
> > Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie ;-) >> >>

> > reappear as hash >> >later in the week.

> > which >> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage
> > Pie made >> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and
> > usually served >> on Monday for supper.

> > boiler was >> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and
> > run through the >> mangle, then it either went outside to the line
> > or was draped over >> these contraptions that you lowered from the
> > kitchen ceiling, it was >> then raised back up and the washing
> > dried from the warmth in the >> kitchen. So an easy meal was best
> > on Mondays. Tuesday everything had >> to be ironed but that was
> > not the major event of washing. >>

> > and >> all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them
> > such as food >> processors etc. she would have been amazed.
> > >
> > > My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally
> > > identical to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent
> > > press" setting). And a dryer.
> > >
> > > Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much
> > > longer; I remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > My grandmothers boiler was a big brick arangement, with a fire under
> > it, rather like some pizza ovens. At least a great many sheets
> > could go in it at a time, so she considered she was lucky. That
> > was in the 1940s during the war.

> My mother is old enough to remember what my grandmother used for
> laundry during the war. I'll try to remember to ask her about it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My Mom did a lot of the laundry during WWII when it was hard to get
hired help so they had one cleaner/cooker/laundry person and it was too
much for 1 to do it all as part time (the hired lady worked in a war
factory part time).

She's passed as of 2 years ago but she said washboards are a real pain
and the old manual wringers were dangerous if you didn't pay close
attention to fingers. I learned how to handwash a load at need wih a
tub and to rinse modern (1970's) soaps well out. Today, machines can
handle a king sized quilt but they didn't used to.

To her, a dryer was 'nice to have' but a simple clothes hanger outside
was faster, cheaper, and less trouble in the long run. She used indoor
ones in winter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 07:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:40:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> > On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> >>
>> > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>> >
>> > I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>> > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> > would be insignificant.
>> >

>> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

>You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.

Not at all sanitary.

>How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
>_not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
>the ones I already have.
>
>I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
>could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'd far rather use paper towels for napkins than reuse dirty
fercocktah schmatahs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 10:58:26 AM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> > > On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > always lots >> >> of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot
> > > roast beef sandwiches >> >> and once or twice a week it would be
> > > Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie ;-) >> >>
> > > reappear as hash >> >later in the week.

> > > which >> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage
> > > Pie made >> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and
> > > usually served >> on Monday for supper.

> > > boiler was >> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and
> > > run through the >> mangle, then it either went outside to the line
> > > or was draped over >> these contraptions that you lowered from the
> > > kitchen ceiling, it was >> then raised back up and the washing
> > > dried from the warmth in the >> kitchen. So an easy meal was best
> > > on Mondays. Tuesday everything had >> to be ironed but that was
> > > not the major event of washing. >>
> > > and >> all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them
> > > such as food >> processors etc. she would have been amazed.

> > > My grandmothers boiler was a big brick arangement, with a fire under
> > > it, rather like some pizza ovens. At least a great many sheets
> > > could go in it at a time, so she considered she was lucky. That
> > > was in the 1940s during the war.

> > My mother is old enough to remember what my grandmother used for
> > laundry during the war. I'll try to remember to ask her about it.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> My Mom did a lot of the laundry during WWII when it was hard to get
> hired help so they had one cleaner/cooker/laundry person and it was too
> much for 1 to do it all as part time (the hired lady worked in a war
> factory part time).
>
> She's passed as of 2 years ago but she said washboards are a real pain
> and the old manual wringers were dangerous if you didn't pay close
> attention to fingers. I learned how to handwash a load at need wih a
> tub and to rinse modern (1970's) soaps well out. Today, machines can
> handle a king sized quilt but they didn't used to.
>
> To her, a dryer was 'nice to have' but a simple clothes hanger outside
> was faster, cheaper, and less trouble in the long run. She used indoor
> ones in winter.

I just got off the phone with my mother. Yes, it was a tub with an
agitator and a separate wringer. They had a water heater, so filling
it was fairly convenient.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 11:16:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 07:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> >You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.

> Not at all sanitary.

Washing them in between uses, of course.

> >How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
> >_not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
> >the ones I already have.
> >
> >I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
> >could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I'd far rather use paper towels for napkins than reuse dirty
> fercocktah schmatahs.

Or you could just wash the things every time, as I would do if I
used cloth napkins.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 10:45 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:40:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>>> would be insignificant.
>>>

>> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.
>
> How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
> _not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
> the ones I already have.
>
> I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
> could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.

I was raised with cloth napkins and my wife likes to use cloth napkins.
Under normal circumstances you can use them lots of time, but if you get
something particularly messy, the sort of thing for which you really
need a napkin, they get too dirty to be re-used. I am thinking things
like chicken wings, ribs etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 10:47 a.m., graham wrote:
> On 2020-05-17 7:40 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>>>>
>>> Ironing.Â* Heh.Â* You're a laugh riot.
>>>
>>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins.Â* It would save
>>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>>> would be insignificant.
>>>

>> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> You can also to a restaurant supply store and get a napkin dispenser>
> Then your dining room can really look like a cheap diner:-)

Then maybe Megatron will start leaving tips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 8:59:51 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:33:15 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> > > It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared
> > >

> > My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well
> > as
> > my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work
> > always
> > used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

> My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
> he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> So do we, but in this case it is for our noses) ))
>
> Please describe how it uses it? Not too sure about bandanas)

It's a square of cotton cloth, printed with a pattern. He prefers
red or black.

He whips it out of his pocket, blows and/or wipes his nose, folds it
carefully and puts it back in his pocket.

Sometimes if he hasn't already used it for that purpose, he'll wipe
his glasses with it.

Cindy Hamilton

===

Ok thanks So, is that a bandana?

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:40:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > >>
> > > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
> > >
> > > I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> > > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> > > would be insignificant.
> > >

> > You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.
>
> How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
> not double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
> the ones I already have.
>
> I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
> could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Key thing is they are resuale, a factor that seems not on his radar?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 11:16:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 May 2020 07:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > save >> > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry
> > it added >> > would be insignificant.

> > > You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.

> > Not at all sanitary.

> Washing them in between uses, of course.
>
> > > How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
> > > _not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
> > > the ones I already have.
> > >
> > > I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind,
> > > I could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I'd far rather use paper towels for napkins than reuse dirty
> > fercocktah schmatahs.

> Or you could just wash the things every time, as I would do if I
> used cloth napkins.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yup. He lives in a world of 'toss it'. Many of us do not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> > > You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> > You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.
> >
> > How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
> > _not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
> > the ones I already have.
> >
> > I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
> > could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.
> >

> I was raised with cloth napkins and my wife likes to use cloth
> napkins. Under normal circumstances you can use them lots of time,
> but if you get something particularly messy, the sort of thing for
> which you really need a napkin, they get too dirty to be re-used. I
> am thinking things like chicken wings, ribs etc.

Washing machine takes care of that. Even what you call 'really messy'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2020 09:40:33 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >>>
> >> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
> >>
> >> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> >> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> >> would be insignificant.

> > You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

> And then factor in the cost and time spent of laundering, ironing, and
> folding each one for each person after each meal. People who claim to
> use a fresh cloth napkin for each meal are simply attempting to
> convince us that they are royalty who has their maid do all that slave
> labor. Many years ago my mother used table linen, but then with paper
> products taking their place it was like a gift from the heavens. And
> paper is far more sanitary... we use paper plates for food that isn't
> juicy and needs no cutting... a sandwhich needs no plate. My favorite
> serving piece for sandwiches and such is the small wooden cutting
> board that the sandwich was prepared on and typically the board is
> covered with a paper towel. We have friends our age who grew up in
> parts of Europe and they eat off wooden boards too, called trenchers,
> that's how they ate growing up... even steaks are eaten from
> trenchers, no need for serrated knives. Using serrated cutlery is
> extremely crass. When high end pricy steak houses provide serrated
> cutlery no way do they deserve those prices, making diners saw their
> steaks as with hacksaws... just proves their steaks are not prime
> beef.

Clueless Sheldon, truely clueless.

Washing 14 table napkins and folding them up for resuse takes 5
minutes. Unless you have company, ironing isn't expected or done and
unless you are a complete idiot, you can fold 14 of them in a minute.

As to steak knives, not everyone is getting steak that can be gummed to
death hence butter knives are not the proper gear for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2020-05-16 9:48 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >
> >> That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
> >> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
> >> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
> >> on Monday for supper.

> >We never had lamb when I was a kid. My father hated it. Yet, we still
> >had Shepherds pie frequently.
> >>
> >> I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
> >> Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
> >> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
> >> mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
> >> these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
> >> then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
> >> kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
> >> to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.

> >I remember laundry day from my childhood. That was when married women
> >stayed home and looked after the household chores while the husbands
> >went out to earn money. Laundry day was a lot more than sorting the
> >items, sticking them into machines and watching soap operas until it was
> >time to change load. My mother had a washing machine that was a big
> >tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
> >detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
> >and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
> >there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
> >wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
> >fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
> >day job.
> >

> I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
> women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
> has my sincere sympathies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
wringer to remove the soap."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 07:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:40:34 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> > On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> >>
>> > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>> >
>> > I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>> > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> > would be insignificant.
>> >

>> You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.

>You can use a cloth napkin lots of times.
>
>How much does a cloth napkin cost? I've got some, and they're
>_not_ double damask linen. I bet I didn't pay a buck apiece for
>the ones I already have.
>
>I also have a bin full of fabric in the basement. If I'd a mind, I
>could make more napkins than I will use in my lifetime.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I made masks for my lot in case we were ordered at some point to wear
them if outside. I used an old white bed skirt, nice heavy weight
cotton and very washable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2020 4:24 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I just got off the phone with my mother. Yes, it was a tub with an
> agitator and a separate wringer. They had a water heater, so filling
> it was fairly convenient.

I remember when my mother got one like that - second-hand, of course. Up
until then she'd been using a washtub and scrubbing board, followed by a
mangle/wringer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:10:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >We never had lamb when I was a kid. My father hated it. Yet, we still
>> >had Shepherds pie frequently.

>> >I remember laundry day from my childhood. That was when married women
>> >stayed home and looked after the household chores while the husbands
>> >went out to earn money. Laundry day was a lot more than sorting the
>> >items, sticking them into machines and watching soap operas until it was
>> >time to change load. My mother had a washing machine that was a big
>> >tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
>> >detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
>> >and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
>> >there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
>> >wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
>> >fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
>> >day job.
>> >

>> I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
>> women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
>> has my sincere sympathies.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
>operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
>the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
>wringer to remove the soap."

Read again Gary, he didn't deny it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:10:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith

> >> I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
> >> women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
> >> has my sincere sympathies.

> >Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
> >operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
> >the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
> >wringer to remove the soap."

> Read again Gary, he didn't deny it.

I read his response and he didn't deny it. But he never said that
in the first place so I'm all confused now.

Feel free to quote an orginal where he even mentioned a soap
opera, and prove me wrong with this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 2:10 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> We never had lamb when I was a kid. My father hated it. Yet, we still
>>> had Shepherds pie frequently.

>>> I remember laundry day from my childhood. That was when married women
>>> stayed home and looked after the household chores while the husbands
>>> went out to earn money. Laundry day was a lot more than sorting the
>>> items, sticking them into machines and watching soap operas until it was
>>> time to change load. My mother had a washing machine that was a big
>>> tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
>>> detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
>>> and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
>>> there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
>>> wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
>>> fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
>>> day job.
>>>

>> I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
>> women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
>> has my sincere sympathies.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
> operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
> the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
> wringer to remove the soap."

Thanks Gary. Lucretia likes to get up on her high horse and rant about
comments that she has misread. Experience has taught me not to expect
that she will acknowledge her error and apologize for her insults.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 2:19 p.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:10:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
>>> women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
>>> has my sincere sympathies.

>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
>> operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
>> the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
>> wringer to remove the soap."

> Read again Gary, he didn't deny it.

I think what you are trying hard to wrap your head around is that I
described what laundry day used to be like, that it was an all day job,
not just sticking a load in and then watching soap operas until the load
was done, and then there is your recognition of what it was like when
there were automatic washing machines and televisions airing melodramas
aimed at the female audience and they are called soap operas. I won't
deny that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:44:51 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>> >Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
>> >operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
>> >the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
>> >wringer to remove the soap."

>> Read again Gary, he didn't deny it.

>I read his response and he didn't deny it. But he never said that
>in the first place so I'm all confused now.
>
>Feel free to quote an orginal where he even mentioned a soap
>opera, and prove me wrong with this.

Relax, she's attacking Dave Smith. That's always good. Unless he's
your leader, of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:41:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
>> >he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
>> half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
>> tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
>> think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

>Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.

Give him a break. He has a man purse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 6:40:08 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Considering they lived in a Detroit suburb in a house that probably had
> forced-air oil heat, they likely had one of these:
>
> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAYTAG-WRINGER-WASHER-WASHING-MACHINE-MODEL-N2LS-RUSTIC-STEAMPUNK-DECOR-/153668793955>
>
> Or something like it.
>
> But I'll ask.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My mother's was a Thor brand and I don't recall what brand her mother's was.
But I do remember getting my arm caught in the wringer up to my elbow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 2:44 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave never mentioned watching soap
>>> operas while washing clothes. I looked back a few messages and
>>> the only reference to soap was, "everything went through the
>>> wringer to remove the soap."

>> Read again Gary, he didn't deny it.

> I read his response and he didn't deny it. But he never said that
> in the first place so I'm all confused now.

Only in that mind of that old crone does someone have to deny having
written what they quite clearly had not written.

> Feel free to quote an orginal where he even mentioned a soap
> opera, and prove me wrong with this.

You had the original. You saw what I wrote and you saw where she flew
off the handle saying that she didn't watch soap operas while washing
clothes and didn't know any women who did. I clearly said that in those
days they did not because it was an all day job. I knew women who did
later on when there were automatic washers. My mother was one of them.
Watching soaps gave her something to do while the machine was doing its
magic.

My mother also watched soaps while she was baking. She would make bread
at least once a week. It took time for the yeast to do its thing. It
took time for the dough to proof and it took time to bake. She didn't
always watch television during the wait times. She was also a voracious
reader. I have no idea WTF is wrong with Lucretia that she would fly
off her broomstick over my comment, other than her having a pickle up
her butt that predisposes her to read offense where none was written,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 6:42:00 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
> > half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
> > tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
> > think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.

Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
A while before permanent press.

> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> would be insignificant.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:59:38 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Bandanas are wild west baby bibs.

They're really great for cookouts and picnics but I just use a paper towel.

> I think
> handkerchiefs/snotrags are very unsanitary... I see people blow their
> nose into them several times over several days before they are
> laundered... like using both sides of TP.

Everybody I ever knew who uses/used a handkerchief uses a clean one every day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 5:58 p.m., wrote:

>>> I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
>>> half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
>>> tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
>>> think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

>> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>>

> Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
> A while before permanent press.
>>
>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> would be insignificant.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
> they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.

I am usually not allowed to do laundry, but I have learned that there is
a special yellow laundry basket for dish rags, tea towels and cloth
napkins that need to be treated/ pre-washed / hot load because they are
badly soiled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 18:58:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-05-17 5:58 p.m., wrote:

>>> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>>>

>> Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
>> A while before permanent press.
>>>
>>> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>>> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>>> would be insignificant.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
>> they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.
>>

>I am usually not allowed to do laundry, but I have learned that there is
>a special yellow laundry basket for dish rags, tea towels and cloth
>napkins that need to be treated/ pre-washed / hot load because they are
>badly soiled.

Interesting, but do continue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 18:58:56 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
>>> A while before permanent press.

>>> He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
>>> they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.
>>>

>> I am usually not allowed to do laundry, but I have learned that there is
>> a special yellow laundry basket for dish rags, tea towels and cloth
>> napkins that need to be treated/ pre-washed / hot load because they are
>> badly soiled.

> Interesting, but do continue.

I hope he bends over for you Druce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 5:58:22 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am usually not allowed to do laundry, but I have learned that there is
> a special yellow laundry basket for dish rags, tea towels and cloth
> napkins that need to be treated/ pre-washed / hot load because they are
> badly soiled.

How long did it take you to discover this 'special basket'?

)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 1:27:49 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> Ok thanks So, is that a bandana?

<https://www.rei.com/product/807983/carolina-mfg-paisley-bandana>

Cindy Hamiltgon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 5:58:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
> > > half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
> > > tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
> > > think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

> > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
> >

> Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
> A while before permanent press.

We're talking about using cloth napkins now, not 70 years ago.

> > I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> > would be insignificant.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
> they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.

He likes having a stack of paper napkins in a basket on the coffee table (which
is where we take our meals). A roll of paper towels there would be
inconvenient.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 1:27:49 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> Ok thanks So, is that a bandana?

<https://www.rei.com/product/807983/carolina-mfg-paisley-bandana>

Cindy Hamiltgon

==

Oh! Thank you I would have called it a small neck scarf)

Very pretty one too

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2020 02:48:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 5:58:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:

>> > Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>> >

>> Ah well, that's when practically everything under the sun needed to be iron.
>> A while before permanent press.

>We're talking about using cloth napkins now, not 70 years ago.
>
>> > I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>> > money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>> > would be insignificant.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> He doesn't like to use a paper towel for a napkin? I like cloth ones but
>> they do add to the laundry needing to be done or even pretreated for stains.

>He likes having a stack of paper napkins in a basket on the coffee table (which
>is where we take our meals). A roll of paper towels there would be
>inconvenient.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

How inconvenient?
We don't leave the roll of paper towels on the table, one sheet for
each folded in half with silverware atop along side a plate is not in
the least inconvenient... actually a half sheet of Bounty
Select-A-Size is just right. I pre-tear and fold a stack to fill a
napkin holder... I keep a stack folded in my nightstand drawer and in
my computer desk drawer, extremely convenient. There's also a roll in
the center console of each car and a roll aboard the tractors. and a
roll in a cabinet in the barn, can't leave it out in the open or the
birds consider it nesting material.

A package of ordinary paper napkins are pretty crappy, stiff,
scratchy, and not at all absorbant, and the fancy schmancy paper
napkins are too expensive and not very absorbant either. Bounty
Select-A-Size paper towels are perfect in every respect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I was raised with cloth napkins and my wife likes to use cloth napkins.

I have no issue with people that like to use cloth napkins.
I have some but only for special dinners with company.

> Under normal circumstances you can use them lots of time, but if you get
> something particularly messy, the sort of thing for which you really
> need a napkin, they get too dirty to be re-used. I am thinking things
> like chicken wings, ribs etc.

Ok, that's a bit weird to me, Dave.
Using the same cloth napkin for several meals as long as
they don't get too messy?

When I do use mine, one meal only then they get washed.