Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dover Sole!

On Fri, 15 May 2020 13:39:36 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 10:19:12 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Salted Chilli Peppers (39%) (Chilli Peppers, Salt), Fermented Soybean
>> Paste (20%) (Water, Salt, Soybeans, Wheat Flour), Water, Soy Sauce
>> (Water, Salt, Soybeans, Wheat Flour), Sugar, Dehydrated Garlic, Sesame
>> Oil, Colour (150a), Soybean Oil, Chilli Pepper Powder (2%), Shallots,
>> Modified Corn Starch (1422), Acidity Regulator (270). Contains
>> Soybeans, Wheat, Sesame Seeds.
>>
>> A shame about the Colour, although they spell it correctly. So what if
>> it's brownish instead of reddish? It is what it is.

>I also use this sauce too. Sometimes, two sauces are better than one. The weird thing about it is that it's in the same jar as strawberry jam. It even looks like strawberry jam. That's just asking for trouble! I don't know what's in this stuff either but it has a nice prickly spiciness.
>
>https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...v=157143 8961

"Sugar, Onion, Garlic, Vegetable Oil (Soya Bean Oil), Chilli (10%),
Shrimp Powder, Fish Sauce, Salt, MSG (E621) As Flavour Enhancer"

Sounds good. I mean, reads good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 4:13:37 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
> of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef sandwiches
> and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie ;-)

We'd have beef roast most Sundays and what was left would reappear as hash
later in the week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:55:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:00:30 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2020-05-15 11:45 a.m., Gary wrote:
> > > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > think we've run this nit-picking episode into the ground.
> > >
> > > About a year ago, I watched a Martha Stewart cooking show.
> > > She demonstrated how to make a "Shepard's Pie."
> > >
> > > She used ground beef, not lamb. If she had posted that
> > > recipe here in RFC using a fake name, she would have been
> > > slammed bigtime by many here.

> > The odd thing is that it only seems to have become an issue recently. My
> > father's parents were both born and raised in England and my mother
> > comes from background that is mostly English, Irish Scottish with some
> > French and German thrown in. Shepherds pie was a frequent supper in our
> > family and it was always made with beef. I never even heard of Cottage
> > pie until I read about it here a couple years ago.
> >

> > That being said, I sometimes pick up some ground lamb and use it to
> > make Shepherds pie, instead of the more common beef.

> The names of food will typically change in different geographical
> locations.
> Most times, it changes once it reaches different lands. The stuff we call
> "chili" is not the same stuff served in Texas. The local chili here has a
> lot of sugar, beans, and mayo in it and it's served over rice. It's roots
> lie in Cincinnati rather than Texas. How this happened, I haven't a clue.
>
> ===
>
> I get mixed up with 'chili/chilli too. I always thought it was meant to
> be
> very spicy but I was told here, many years ago by (forget her name) that
> it
> is sauce with tomatoes.
>
> I am still confused

A lot of people are confused so I wouldn't worry about it too much. "Chili"
is short for "chili con carne" which means meat cooked with peppers.
Americans, being lazy, like to call it "chili." "Chili sauce" is a sauce
that can be made with tomatoes and spicy peppers or just peppers. Mostly,
Americans will use a sweet, tomato based, bottle sauce of the Heinz brand.
I've never used the stuff myself but these days, I'll use a Chinese style
chili sauce.

https://www.myamericanmarket.com/307...hili-sauce.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

====

Hmmm well, I still wouldn't know which to buy, if indeed I did buy
something)

Is that Heinz chile sauce spicy?

I found this but see the hot hot chilli powder ?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...n-carne-recipe

I doubt I we would be happy with that)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 2:55:26 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I get mixed up with 'chili/chilli too. I always thought it was meant to
> be
> very spicy but I was told here, many years ago by (forget her name) that
> it
> is sauce with tomatoes.
>
> I am still confused

Yes, you are.

The dish we call "chili" is formally named "Chile con Carne", or "hot
capsicums with meat". Other ingredients such as tomatoes, cumin, beans,
and others have become common.

In home kitchens, people add as much or as little hot peppers as they want.
Conceivably, that could be zero. It would be very uncommon, though, and
most people wouldn't really recognize that as chili.

For my part, chili must contain ancho chiles (a dried, fairly mild pepper)
or it doesn't taste like chili.

I've seen a chili recipe that doesn't contain any tomatoes; it derives
all of its red color from peppers.

I generally spell the meat stew as "chili" and the capsicums as "chile",
but that's by no means universal.

Cindy Hamilton

====

Thank you very much!!! That is very useful!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:03:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:55:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > think we've run this nit-picking episode into the ground.

> > > The odd thing is that it only seems to have become an issue recently. My
> > > father's parents were both born and raised in England and my mother
> > > comes from background that is mostly English, Irish Scottish with some
> > > French and German thrown in. Shepherds pie was a frequent supper in our
> > > family and it was always made with beef. I never even heard of Cottage
> > > pie until I read about it here a couple years ago.
> > >

> > > That being said, I sometimes pick up some ground lamb and use it to
> > > make Shepherds pie, instead of the more common beef.

> > The names of food will typically change in different geographical
> > locations.
> > Most times, it changes once it reaches different lands. The stuff we call
> > "chili" is not the same stuff served in Texas. The local chili here has a
> > lot of sugar, beans, and mayo in it and it's served over rice. It's roots
> > lie in Cincinnati rather than Texas. How this happened, I haven't a clue.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I get mixed up with 'chili/chilli too. I always thought it was meant to
> > be
> > very spicy but I was told here, many years ago by (forget her name) that
> > it
> > is sauce with tomatoes.
> >
> > I am still confused

> A lot of people are confused so I wouldn't worry about it too much. "Chili"
> is short for "chili con carne" which means meat cooked with peppers.
> Americans, being lazy, like to call it "chili." "Chili sauce" is a sauce
> that can be made with tomatoes and spicy peppers or just peppers. Mostly,
> Americans will use a sweet, tomato based, bottle sauce of the Heinz brand..
> I've never used the stuff myself but these days, I'll use a Chinese style
> chili sauce.
>
> https://www.myamericanmarket.com/307...hili-sauce.jpg
>
> https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
>
> ====
>
> Hmmm well, I still wouldn't know which to buy, if indeed I did buy
> something)
>
> Is that Heinz chile sauce spicy?
>
> I found this but see the hot hot chilli powder ?
>
> https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...n-carne-recipe
>
> I doubt I we would be happy with that)

> https://www.avg.com

I've never had the Heinz Chili Sauce. My guess is that it isn't very spicy. I can mix up something better with ketchup, oyster sauce, and Chinese chili sauce. Of course, it's going to be on the spicy side.

There's not much point in making chili con carne if you don't like spicy because, at its heart, it is simply meat cooked with chili peppers. The chili I make will have about a third of a cup of Korean chili powder. It comes out a brilliant red. People would think that there's tomato in my chili but they'd be wrong.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05....2_kg_x700.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 11:13:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Pretty sure the first time I ever ate it was at the work cafeteria. It
> > > was
> > > ok and that's to be expected as the food would not be the same as
> > > prepared
> > > in a home kitchen. But I've never been tempted to make it.
> > >

> > We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
> > of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef sandwiches
> > and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie
> > ;-)

> What I'd like is a pie made with beef with a shortcrust on the bottom and
> mashed potatoes on the top. I've never had a pie like that and I don't even
> care what you people would call it. I'd just call it "tasty."
>
> ====
>
> LOL works for me) Will you be making one?)

https://www.avg.com

I'd say probably not because I don't like messing around with mashed potatoes but these are strange times we're living in so who knows?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:34:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 4:13:37 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
>> of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef sandwiches
>> and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie ;-)
>>

>We'd have beef roast most Sundays and what was left would reappear as hash
>later in the week.

That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
on Monday for supper.

I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.

If she could come back now and see our washing machines, dryers and
all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them such as food
processors etc. she would have been amazed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 11:13:37 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Pretty sure the first time I ever ate it was at the work cafeteria.
> > > It
> > > was
> > > ok and that's to be expected as the food would not be the same as
> > > prepared
> > > in a home kitchen. But I've never been tempted to make it.
> > >

> > We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
> > of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef sandwiches
> > and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie
> > ;-)

> What I'd like is a pie made with beef with a shortcrust on the bottom and
> mashed potatoes on the top. I've never had a pie like that and I don't
> even
> care what you people would call it. I'd just call it "tasty."
>
> ====
>
> LOL works for me) Will you be making one?)

I'd say probably not because I don't like messing around with mashed
potatoes but these are strange times we're living in so who knows?

===

I never make mashed potato because D. doesn't like it much. Even on
shepherd's pie I use sliced potatoes

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> ====
>
> Hmmm well, I still wouldn't know which to buy, if indeed I did buy
> something)
>
> Is that Heinz chile sauce spicy?
>
> I found this but see the hot hot chilli powder ?
>
> https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...n-carne-recipe
>
> I doubt I we would be happy with that)

> https://www.avg.com

I've never had the Heinz Chili Sauce. My guess is that it isn't very spicy.
I can mix up something better with ketchup, oyster sauce, and Chinese chili
sauce. Of course, it's going to be on the spicy side.

There's not much point in making chili con carne if you don't like spicy
because, at its heart, it is simply meat cooked with chili peppers. The
chili I make will have about a third of a cup of Korean chili powder. It
comes out a brilliant red. People would think that there's tomato in my

==

Enjoy my share too)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 4:16:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:03:28 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:55:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > The names of food will typically change in different geographical
> > > locations.
> > > Most times, it changes once it reaches different lands. The stuff we
> > > call
> > > "chili" is not the same stuff served in Texas. The local chili here has
> > > lot of sugar, beans, and mayo in it and it's served over rice. It's
> > > roots
> > > lie in Cincinnati rather than Texas. How this happened, I haven't a
> > > clue.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > I get mixed up with 'chili/chilli too. I always thought it was meant
> > > be
> > > very spicy but I was told here, many years ago by (forget her name) that
> > > it
> > > is sauce with tomatoes.
> > >
> > > I am still confused

> > A lot of people are confused so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
> > "Chili"
> > is short for "chili con carne" which means meat cooked with peppers.
> > Americans, being lazy, like to call it "chili." "Chili sauce" is a sauce
> > that can be made with tomatoes and spicy peppers or just peppers. Mostly,
> > Americans will use a sweet, tomato based, bottle sauce of the Heinz brand.
> > I've never used the stuff myself but these days, I'll use a Chinese style
> > chili sauce.
> >
> > https://www.myamericanmarket.com/307...hili-sauce.jpg
> >
> > https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
> >
> > ====
> >
> > Hmmm well, I still wouldn't know which to buy, if indeed I did buy
> > something)
> >
> > Is that Heinz chile sauce spicy?
> >
> > I found this but see the hot hot chilli powder ?
> >
> > https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...n-carne-recipe
> >
> > I doubt I we would be happy with that)
> >

> > --
> > https://www.avg.com

> I've never had the Heinz Chili Sauce. My guess is that it isn't very spicy.
> I can mix up something better with ketchup, oyster sauce, and Chinese chili
> sauce. Of course, it's going to be on the spicy side.
>
> There's not much point in making chili con carne if you don't like spicy
> because, at its heart, it is simply meat cooked with chili peppers. The
> chili I make will have about a third of a cup of Korean chili powder. It
> comes out a brilliant red. People would think that there's tomato in my
> chili but they'd be wrong.
>
> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05....2_kg_x700.jpg
>
> ==
>
> Enjoy my share too)

I made some spicy pork with bitter melon tonight. I made it extra spicy because I need a little more excitement in my life. My wife took a bite and started coughing and choking. Not a good sign. After a minute or so, she said that she had inhaled some pepper into her lungs. The dish caught her off guard. She then said it was awesome. Ha ha.

OTOH, I have to rethink this dish. It was so spicy that it completely obliterated the taste of the bitter melon. I have to make this dish with very little heat because the whole point of bitter melon is its bitter taste. Now I know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 4:15:27 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
> > > of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef sandwiches
> > > and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie
> > > ;-)

> > What I'd like is a pie made with beef with a shortcrust on the bottom and
> > mashed potatoes on the top. I've never had a pie like that and I don't
> > even
> > care what you people would call it. I'd just call it "tasty."
> >
> > ====
> >
> > LOL works for me) Will you be making one?)
> >

> I'd say probably not because I don't like messing around with mashed
> potatoes but these are strange times we're living in so who knows?
>
> ===
>
> I never make mashed potato because D. doesn't like it much. Even on
> shepherd's pie I use sliced potatoes

https://www.avg.com

That's a pretty good idea. Are the potatoes raw?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-16 9:48 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
> on Monday for supper.

We never had lamb when I was a kid. My father hated it. Yet, we still
had Shepherds pie frequently.

> I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
> Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
> mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
> these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
> then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
> kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
> to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.

I remember laundry day from my childhood. That was when married women
stayed home and looked after the household chores while the husbands
went out to earn money. Laundry day was a lot more than sorting the
items, sticking them into machines and watching soap operas until it was
time to change load. My mother had a washing machine that was a big
tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
day job.

> If she could come back now and see our washing machines, dryers and
> all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them such as food
> processors etc. she would have been amazed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2020-05-16 9:48 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>
>> That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
>> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
>> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
>> on Monday for supper.

>We never had lamb when I was a kid. My father hated it. Yet, we still
>had Shepherds pie frequently.
>>
>> I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
>> Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
>> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
>> mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
>> these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
>> then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
>> kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
>> to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.

>I remember laundry day from my childhood. That was when married women
>stayed home and looked after the household chores while the husbands
>went out to earn money. Laundry day was a lot more than sorting the
>items, sticking them into machines and watching soap operas until it was
>time to change load. My mother had a washing machine that was a big
>tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
>detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
>and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
>there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
>wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
>fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
>day job.

I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
has my sincere sympathies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 9:48:59 AM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:34:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 4:13:37 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
> >> of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef sandwiches
> >> and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage pie ;-)
> >>

> >We'd have beef roast most Sundays and what was left would reappear as hash
> >later in the week.

> That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
> on Monday for supper.
>
> I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
> Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
> mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
> these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
> then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
> kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
> to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.
>
> If she could come back now and see our washing machines, dryers and
> all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them such as food
> processors etc. she would have been amazed.

My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
And a dryer.

Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:07:12 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-05-16 9:48 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>
> > I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
> > Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
> > fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
> > mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
> > these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
> > then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
> > kitchen.

Monday was always wash day at my mother's house as well. I've seen those
dryer contraption things that are suspended from the ceiling. They're still
a great idea and are still for sale.

> My mother had a washing machine that was a big
> tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
> detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
> and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
> there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
> wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
> fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
> day job.

My mother had a wringer washer as well but she did have a separate square
tub for the rinsing. Clothes were washed, put through the wringer, swished
around several times to get residual soap out and put through the wringer
again. Then everything went out to the clothesline and yes, it was an all
day affair.

That evening when clothes were brought in what needed to be ironed was put
in another pile and sprinkled with water and rolled up. Tuesday was ironing
most of the day and my'training' to iron was started out on handkerchiefs
and pillowcases.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:45:33 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
> to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
> And a dryer.
>
> Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
> remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When my mother's wringer washer finally gave up and died my dad said it was
time for an automatic washer. No, no, no! That contraption is not coming
in this house! I think after the first full load of clothes and how quickly
it did its' job and the clothes were clean she was in heaven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:45:33 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
> > to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
> > And a dryer.
> >
> > Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
> > remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> When my mother's wringer washer finally gave up and died my dad said it was
> time for an automatic washer. No, no, no! That contraption is not coming
> in this house! I think after the first full load of clothes and how quickly
> it did its' job and the clothes were clean she was in heaven.

One of the most significant advances in all time for women was the post - war introduction of automatic washers and dryers (along with modern detergents)...it released women from much of the household drudgery and allowed them to explore avenues for advancement. Tide detergent was originally marketed as "The Washday Miracle", and it *really* was a marvelous thing, imagine doing laundry with soap flakes, etc...

One of the reasons women in poor countries are still so disadvantaged is that there is no access to electricity, and thus the labor - saving conveniences that electricity enables one to have...stable and cheap power enables a society to move on from disease, squalor and mind - numbing labor...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 4:15:27 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > We used to have roast beef almost every weekend. There was always lots
> > > of leftover beef. Some of it would be used to hot roast beef
> > > sandwiches
> > > and once or twice a week it would be Shepherds pie..... not Cottage
> > > pie
> > > ;-)

> > What I'd like is a pie made with beef with a shortcrust on the bottom
> > and
> > mashed potatoes on the top. I've never had a pie like that and I don't
> > even
> > care what you people would call it. I'd just call it "tasty."
> >
> > ====
> >
> > LOL works for me) Will you be making one?)
> >

> I'd say probably not because I don't like messing around with mashed
> potatoes but these are strange times we're living in so who knows?
>
> ===
>
> I never make mashed potato because D. doesn't like it much. Even on
> shepherd's pie I use sliced potatoes

That's a pretty good idea. Are the potatoes raw?

===

No because the pie part it ready cooked, so I boil slices, cool them off
in cold water, season them and place on top with some butter until they are
nicely browned )

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> sauce. Of course, it's going to be on the spicy side.
>
> There's not much point in making chili con carne if you don't like spicy
> because, at its heart, it is simply meat cooked with chili peppers. The
> chili I make will have about a third of a cup of Korean chili powder. It
> comes out a brilliant red. People would think that there's tomato in my
> chili but they'd be wrong.
>
> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05....2_kg_x700.jpg
>
> ==
>
> Enjoy my share too)

I made some spicy pork with bitter melon tonight. I made it extra spicy
because I need a little more excitement in my life. My wife took a bite and
started coughing and choking. Not a good sign. After a minute or so, she
said that she had inhaled some pepper into her lungs. The dish caught her
off guard. She then said it was awesome. Ha ha.

Wow. Brave lady!!!

OTOH, I have to rethink this dish. It was so spicy that it completely
obliterated the taste of the bitter melon. I have to make this dish with
very little heat because the whole point of bitter melon is its bitter
taste. Now I know.

Yers!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-16 11:16 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2020 11:07:43 -0400, Dave Smith

>> I remember laundry day from my childhood. That was when married women
>> stayed home and looked after the household chores while the husbands
>> went out to earn money. Laundry day was a lot more than sorting the
>> items, sticking them into machines and watching soap operas until it was
>> time to change load. My mother had a washing machine that was a big
>> tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
>> detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
>> and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
>> there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
>> wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
>> fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
>> day job.
>>

> I never watched soap operas while the washing washed! Nor do I know
> women who did! It shows blatantly your opinion of women. Megatron
> has my sincere sympathies.

Really? Aren't you a little too old to be still living in denial? You
know that I was talking about the 50s, which is when the y coined the
term soap opera because the main sponsors were pushing cleaning products
to the housewives were were watching them. Day time soaps are a dying
breed, There are only a few of them left and their audience is dropping
off. That's partly because the old soap opera audience is getting older
and dying off, plus the fact that there are new breeds of day time TV
fair, like Oprah and Dr. Phil.

FWIW, there are new breeds of soap operas now. They started off with
evening shows that were a little racier than the day time soaps. Over
the last few years they started aiming them at men with shows like Sons
of Anarchy and Game of Thrones. They throw in violence, nudity and sex,
but they have most of the elements of the long running soap operas.

Don't worry about Megatron. She doesn't spend much time watching TV.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 9:48:59 AM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:34:06 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >We'd have beef roast most Sundays and what was left would reappear as hash
>> >later in the week.

>> That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
>> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
>> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
>> on Monday for supper.
>>
>> I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
>> Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
>> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
>> mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
>> these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
>> then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
>> kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
>> to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.
>>
>> If she could come back now and see our washing machines, dryers and
>> all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them such as food
>> processors etc. she would have been amazed.

>My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
>to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
>And a dryer.
>
>Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
>remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

My grandmothers boiler was a big brick arangement, with a fire under
it, rather like some pizza ovens. At least a great many sheets could
go in it at a time, so she considered she was lucky. That was in the
1940s during the war.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2020 09:15:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:07:12 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-05-16 9:48 a.m., Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>
>> > I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
>> > Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
>> > fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
>> > mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
>> > these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
>> > then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
>> > kitchen.

>Monday was always wash day at my mother's house as well. I've seen those
>dryer contraption things that are suspended from the ceiling. They're still
>a great idea and are still for sale.
>>
>> My mother had a washing machine that was a big
>> tub with a powered agitator and a wringer attachment on top. Water and
>> detergent went into the tub and was agitated. Then the water was drained
>> and everything went through the wringer to remove the soap. The the
>> there was clean water to rinse the stuff, and then it went through the
>> wringer again. After that it went on the line, either outside in the
>> fresh air or hanging from ropes strung on the ceiling. It was an all
>> day job.
>>

>My mother had a wringer washer as well but she did have a separate square
>tub for the rinsing. Clothes were washed, put through the wringer, swished
>around several times to get residual soap out and put through the wringer
>again. Then everything went out to the clothesline and yes, it was an all
>day affair.
>
>That evening when clothes were brought in what needed to be ironed was put
>in another pile and sprinkled with water and rolled up. Tuesday was ironing
>most of the day and my'training' to iron was started out on handkerchiefs
>and pillowcases.

It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2020 09:46:12 -0700 (PDT), GM

>> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:45:33 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
>> > to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
>> > And a dryer.
>> >
>> > Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
>> > remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> When my mother's wringer washer finally gave up and died my dad said it was
>> time for an automatic washer. No, no, no! That contraption is not coming
>> in this house! I think after the first full load of clothes and how quickly
>> it did its' job and the clothes were clean she was in heaven.

>One of the most significant advances in all time for women was the post - war introduction of automatic washers and dryers (along with modern detergents)...it released women from much of the household drudgery and allowed them to explore avenues for advancement. Tide detergent was originally marketed as "The Washday Miracle", and it *really* was a marvelous thing, imagine doing laundry with soap flakes, etc...
>
>One of the reasons women in poor countries are still so disadvantaged is that there is no access to electricity, and thus the labor - saving conveniences that electricity enables one to have...stable and cheap power enables a society to move on from disease, squalor and mind - numbing labor...

I agree and if you add to that often severe lack of water, or water
that has to be carried for miles or perhaps having to go to the river
to wash everything, it's a true hardship.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2020 6:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Really? Aren't you a little too old to be still living in denial? You
> know that I was talking about the 50s, which is when the y coined the
> term soap opera because the main sponsors were pushing cleaning products
> to the housewives were were watching them.

Actually the term 'soap opera' predates television. There were radio
'soaps', sponsored by soap manufacturers, back in the 30s (possibly
earlier, but I can't be bothered to check).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> >> When my mother's wringer washer finally gave up and died my dad said it was
> >> time for an automatic washer. No, no, no! That contraption is not coming
> >> in this house! I think after the first full load of clothes and how quickly
> >> it did its' job and the clothes were clean she was in heaven.

> >One of the most significant advances in all time for women was the post - war introduction of automatic washers and dryers (along with modern detergents)...it released women from much of the household drudgery and allowed them to explore avenues for advancement. Tide detergent was originally marketed as "The Washday Miracle", and it *really* was a marvelous thing, imagine doing laundry with soap flakes, etc...
> >
> >One of the reasons women in poor countries are still so disadvantaged is that there is no access to electricity, and thus the labor - saving conveniences that electricity enables one to have...stable and cheap power enables a society to move on from disease, squalor and mind - numbing labor...

> I agree and if you add to that often severe lack of water, or water
> that has to be carried for miles or perhaps having to go to the river
> to wash everything, it's a true hardship.

Unfortunately there are still many in the world with no/little access to clean water, let alone electricity...once both are in place society advances.

Even until 80 or so years ago, many in North America had no electricity, primarily in rural areas. My folks, married in 1934, did not get electricity on the farm until about 1939/40, when the REA came through with power lines. First things they got were a tub wringer washer, a fridge and a milk/cream seperator...they already had a radio, but it was battery - operated. Oh, and decent plumbing...

--
Best
Greg

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:33:15 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> On Sat, 16 May 2020 09:15:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
> >Tuesday was ironing
> >most of the day and my'training' to iron was started out on handkerchiefs
> >and pillowcases.

> It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared

My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well as
my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work always
used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:43:56 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> House work has changed over the years. Laundry used to be an all day
> job when the machines were manually operated.

It truly was. My mother usually had wash going by 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. and
that meant clothes were out on the line well before 8:00 a.m. To think
she could pop a load of clothes in the automatic washer and not fool with
another tub full of rinse water must have been mind-boggling for her. But
clothes were still hung out, it just wasn't as much drudgery.

Now I put my sheets in the washer with their detergent the night before.
I wake up the next morning and start the washer and jump back into bed.
Sometimes I fall back asleep and I don't wake up for 2 hours but the
sheets are ready to be hung out. If it's past 8:00 a.m. when they get
pinned to the clothesline I think "what would my mother say being so late
getting sheets on the line?"

)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 9:48:59 AM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >> On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:34:06 -0700 (PDT), "

> >> That was the tradition that gave Shepherds Pie (made with lamb which
> >> was logical given the occupation of a shepherd) or Cottage Pie made
> >> with beef. Both were made with the left over meat and usually served
> >> on Monday for supper.
> >>
> >> I can remember the hustle and bustle in my grandmothers house on
> >> Mondays. Rain or shine, it was washing day. The huge old boiler was
> >> fired up and after the washing was boiled, rinsed and run through the
> >> mangle, then it either went outside to the line or was draped over
> >> these contraptions that you lowered from the kitchen ceiling, it was
> >> then raised back up and the washing dried from the warmth in the
> >> kitchen. So an easy meal was best on Mondays. Tuesday everything had
> >> to be ironed but that was not the major event of washing.
> >>
> >> If she could come back now and see our washing machines, dryers and
> >> all the kitchen 'contraptions' she would have called them such as food
> >> processors etc. she would have been amazed.

> >My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
> >to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
> >And a dryer.
> >
> >Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
> >remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> My grandmothers boiler was a big brick arangement, with a fire under
> it, rather like some pizza ovens. At least a great many sheets could
> go in it at a time, so she considered she was lucky. That was in the
> 1940s during the war.

My mother is old enough to remember what my grandmother used for laundry
during the war. I'll try to remember to ask her about it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:33:15 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 16 May 2020 09:15:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Tuesday was ironing
> > >most of the day and my'training' to iron was started out on handkerchiefs
> > >and pillowcases.

> > It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared
> >

> My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well as
> my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work always
> used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:21:18 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >My grandmother had an automatic washer that was functionally identical
>> >to the one I have now (perhaps without the "permanent press" setting).
>> >And a dryer.
>> >
>> >Her sister hung on to the old tub washer with a mangle much longer; I
>> >remember seeing it in her basement in the 1960s.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> My grandmothers boiler was a big brick arangement, with a fire under
>> it, rather like some pizza ovens. At least a great many sheets could
>> go in it at a time, so she considered she was lucky. That was in the
>> 1940s during the war.

>My mother is old enough to remember what my grandmother used for laundry
>during the war. I'll try to remember to ask her about it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I'm sure she will remember it if that's what was used. Later on they
felt spoiled when gas for the fire became available
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:33:15 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

>> > It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared
>> >

>> My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well as
>> my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work always
>> used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

>My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
>he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:07:53 AM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:21:18 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 May 2020 08:45:29 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> My grandmothers boiler was a big brick arangement, with a fire under
> >> it, rather like some pizza ovens. At least a great many sheets could
> >> go in it at a time, so she considered she was lucky. That was in the
> >> 1940s during the war.

> >My mother is old enough to remember what my grandmother used for laundry
> >during the war. I'll try to remember to ask her about it.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I'm sure she will remember it if that's what was used. Later on they
> felt spoiled when gas for the fire became available

Considering they lived in a Detroit suburb in a house that probably had
forced-air oil heat, they likely had one of these:

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MAYTAG-WRINGER-WASHER-WASHING-MACHINE-MODEL-N2LS-RUSTIC-STEAMPUNK-DECOR-/153668793955>

Or something like it.

But I'll ask.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well as
> >> my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work always
> >> used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

> >My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
> >he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
> half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
> tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
> think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.

I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
would be insignificant.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2020 04:41:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2020 03:23:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
>> >he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

Bandanas are wild west baby bibs.

>> I don't use tissues or handkerchiefs, I use Bounty paper towels, the
>> half size ones, they're soft, absorbant, and hold up better than
>> tissues. I also much prefer them to napkins at table settings... I
>> think cloth napkins are just extra laundry and ironing.

>Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.

We iron clothing, I'm not going to waste time ironing cloth napkins
and snot rags and then fold them and have them take up valuable
storage space

>I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
>money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
>would be insignificant.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

We don't use paper napkins either, paper towels work just fine,
actually they work better than paper napkins. Bounty Select-A-Size is
a great idea, a half size towel folded in half makes a perfect
napkin... also makes a perfect tissue for nose blowing, much stronger
than tissues yet so soft they don't irritate. I keep a stack in my
night stand drawer and keep 3-4 in my coat and pant pockets. I think
handkerchiefs/snotrags are very unsanitary... I see people blow their
nose into them several times over several days before they are
laundered... like using both sides of TP. Bounty Select-A-Size paper
towels are superior to Kleenex and cost less, plus takes the place of
several paper products. Handkerchiefs/snotrags are a disgusting
product... I'm suprised they still exist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 2:07:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:33:15 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 16 May 2020 09:15:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Tuesday was ironing
> > >most of the day and my'training' to iron was started out on
> > >handkerchiefs
> > >and pillowcases.

> > It was definitely great when Kleenex appeared
> >

> My dad used a pure cotton handkerchief always as did my brothers as well
> as
> my surviving brother. Come to think about it, all the men at work always
> used cotton handkerchiefs. For myself, it's always a Kleenex.

My husband uses kleenex at home, but always carries a handkerchief when
he goes out. In his case, though, it's a bandanna.

Cindy Hamilton

==

So do we, but in this case it is for our noses) ))

Please describe how it uses it? Not too sure about bandanas)

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-17 7:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 7:35:25 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>>

> Ironing. Heh. You're a laugh riot.
>
> I wish I could get my husband to use cloth napkins. It would save
> money on buying paper napkins, and the amount of laundry it added
> would be insignificant.

You can buy a lot of paper napkins for the cost of a cloth one.