Old 22-05-2020, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cloth Napkins vs Paper Towels (WAS: Dover Sole!)

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 4:33:38 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

It's called Select-A-Size for a reason, you can tear off a full sheet
or half a sheet... WTF is so difficult to comprehend?

Every time I tear a sheet all I get is the half sheet which to me is pretty
useless. It's not enough to dry my hands and pretty useless for any task.

You can tear
off a 1 1/2 sheet size, a 2 sheet size or as much as you need. The
perforations tear very neatly, no lint, I think it's a fantastic idea,
definitely saves on waste, it's rare that I need a whole sheet.

Different wants and usage between us. For me, a half sheet is a waste
because now I have to go back and get more which invariably turns into
another useless half sheet.

Before
Select-A-Size I used to cut a stack of full size sheets in half with
scissors. A half sheet is the perfect size for nose blowing, and they
are stronger, softer, and more absorbant than Kleenex.

I don't use paper towels for nose blowing, for me it's always a Kleenex
and occasionally a few sheets of toilet paper. But I don't agree paper
towels are softer than a tissue.

Old 22-05-2020, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 4:00 PM, cshenk wrote:
Gary wrote:

cshenk wrote:

Sheldon Martin wrote:
There was no shortage due to manufacturing or hoarding... the
truckers refused to enter the populous areas due to the high
insidence of virus.

Thats not true Sheldon. There are no stockpiles at the factories.
Deliveries are still happening in normal amounts.

In Sheldon's defense, there was a mention one time on the
national news that many truckers were refusing to deliver
goods to the New York City area as it was such a hot spot
for the virus. This was over a month ago.

Yes but the rest functioned and that was short term stuff.

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Jill
Old 22-05-2020, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

cshenk wrote:

Sheldon Martin wrote:
There was no shortage due to manufacturing or hoarding... the
truckers refused to enter the populous areas due to the high
insidence of virus.

Thats not true Sheldon.* There are no stockpiles at the factories.
Deliveries are still happening in normal amounts.

In Sheldon's defense, there was a mention one time on the
national news that many truckers were refusing to deliver
goods to the New York City area as it was such a hot spot
for the virus. This was over a month ago.

Yes but the rest functioned and that was short term stuff.

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Maybe the major warehouses are in NYC.

Old 22-05-2020, 11:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2020 4:03 PM, cshenk wrote:
Sheldon Martin wrote:

The shortages lasted only a couple of days and then the truckers
resumed deliveries. The TP shortage only affected those cheap
*******s who refuse to stock up on necessaries.... a lot of people buy
TP by the single roll, that's why they're sold by the single roll...
same as a lot of women buy tampons one at a time from a machine.

Good lord, you managed to be even more an idiot! Tampon machines went
out 40 years ago. You'd have to find a very old building with no
renovation to find one and they will be long unused.

True dat! I don't know about other women but always I kept a small
plastic case containing tampons in my purse. Women out with girlfriends
ask them if they have one. They'd have a hard time finding a tampon
machine in public restrooms these days.

Jill
Old 23-05-2020, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

cshenk wrote:

Sheldon Martin wrote:
There was no shortage due to manufacturing or hoarding... the
truckers refused to enter the populous areas due to the high
insidence of virus.

Thats not true Sheldon.* There are no stockpiles at the factories.
Deliveries are still happening in normal amounts.

In Sheldon's defense, there was a mention one time on the
national news that many truckers were refusing to deliver
goods to the New York City area as it was such a hot spot
for the virus. This was over a month ago.

Yes but the rest functioned and that was short term stuff.

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the
lack of TP on shelves in small towns.

Maybe the major warehouses are in NYC.

I'm pretty sure the warehouses are close to the manufacturing plants.

Jill

Old 23-05-2020, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

The shortages lasted only a couple of days and then the truckers
resumed deliveries. The TP shortage only affected those cheap
*******s who refuse to stock up on necessaries.... a lot of people buy
TP by the single roll, that's why they're sold by the single roll...
same as a lot of women buy tampons one at a time from a machine.

Good lord, you managed to be even more an idiot! Tampon machines went
out 40 years ago. You'd have to find a very old building with no
renovation to find one and they will be long unused.

True dat! I don't know about other women but always I kept a small
plastic case containing tampons in my purse. Women out with girlfriends
ask them if they have one. They'd have a hard time finding a tampon
machine in public restrooms these days.

Jill

I happen to know that single tampons are sold in convenience stores, I
see them in machines right outside the ladie's room even in this hick
village. They're typically dispensed in the ladies room at most
restaurants... these days they have machines that sell condoms too, in
the mens room and in the ladies room.
Old 23-05-2020, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 5:21:27 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Jill

I'm going to guess panic buying and hoarding. I do hope you find some
tp soon.

Old 23-05-2020, 01:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

[...]

These days? Really?! Sure sounds like a throwback from 30 years ago.
Why would a tampon machine be located *outside* the ladies room at a
convenience store? It's not as if people are going to use it like an
ATM. Oh, and when was the last time you were in a restaurant, much less
the restroom in one? As for condom machines, perhaps you are
remembering some honky-tonk bar with a pay-by-the hour motel next door. LOL

Jill
Old 23-05-2020, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Panic hoarding by customers. All at once, everyone wanted
to be Sheldon and have at least 300 rolls stockpiled.
Old 23-05-2020, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

I was at Walmart and Kroger yesterday and both seemed to have a great deal
of toilet paper, mainly their own brand. Both had a great deal of packages
of paper towels as well. Unfortunately for me, all they had in stock was
the select-a-size. I know lots of people just love that type but personally
I can't stand them. I always want and use a full sheet.

I use the full sheet kind. Often, I tear them in half like
for a napkin or blowing nose. If you tear from the perforated
side, they always tear straight. I think all paper towels
do this but I haven't tried all.
You can even tear as big or small as you want. You can tear
one sheet into 2, 3, 4 or more even strips.

I discovered my favorite brand about 2 years ago and ever since,
I'd buy 2-4 every grocery trip. Slowly stockpiling back when
they were plentiful. I did that just in case they went out of
business or the store quit selling them. That seems to
happen with me a lot. Love a product and then they're gone
forever.

I still have over a dozen left but I hope they return soon.
I always keep 4 rolls open at a time.
- one for kitchen
- one in bedroom
- one by computer
- one in van

I highly recommend this brand. Just try one and see what
you think. They are small and loosely rolled so they aren't
compressed and are very soft.

35.6 Sq Ft, 53 2-ply sheets for $0.49 (your price may vary)
Add tax and that equals about a penny per full sheet
Brand is "SPA" paper towels.

Manufactured in Spokane, WA so they're probably sold
at least nationwide.

Old 23-05-2020, 03:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-23 7:37 a.m., Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Panic hoarding by customers. All at once, everyone wanted
to be Sheldon and have at least 300 rolls stockpiled.

I don't know about Sheldon, but my brother probably did. He has always
maintained an Armageddon sized supply of toilet paper and paper towels.
Old 23-05-2020, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-23 7:37 a.m., Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Panic hoarding by customers. All at once, everyone wanted
to be Sheldon and have at least 300 rolls stockpiled.

I don't know about Sheldon, but my brother probably did. He has always
maintained an Armageddon sized supply of toilet paper and paper towels.

There's an entire culture known as "survivalists" that plan for
a huge disaster and complete breakdown of society. They stockpile
years worth of food and anything else that might be necessary.

They're also well armed to defend their family and property
if necessary.
Old 23-05-2020, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-05-23 7:37 a.m., Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Panic hoarding by customers. All at once, everyone wanted
to be Sheldon and have at least 300 rolls stockpiled.

I don't know about Sheldon, but my brother probably did. He has always
maintained an Armageddon sized supply of toilet paper and paper towels.

There's an entire culture known as "survivalists" that plan for
a huge disaster and complete breakdown of society. They stockpile
years worth of food and anything else that might be necessary.

They're also well armed to defend their family and property
if necessary.

He is not a survivalist. He keeps a well stocked pantry, but not a huge
larder to keep hm going for a year. He just has a bit of an anal
personality. I think he would rather starve to death than run out of
toilet paper,

Old 23-05-2020, 04:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On 2020-05-23 7:37 a.m., Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

NYC was (still is?) a Covid-19 hotspot due to population density.
Truckers not delivering to NYC over a month ago doesn't explain the lack
of TP on shelves in small towns.

Panic hoarding by customers. All at once, everyone wanted
to be Sheldon and have at least 300 rolls stockpiled.

I don't know about Sheldon, but my brother probably did. He has always
maintained an Armageddon sized supply of toilet paper and paper towels.

There's an entire culture known as "survivalists" that plan for
a huge disaster and complete breakdown of society. They stockpile
years worth of food and anything else that might be necessary.

They're also well armed to defend their family and property
if necessary.

LDS aka Mormons are big stocker - uppers...

There's lots of dehydrated food items on Amazon, I bought some dehy celery and tomato last year to just "check it out" ( I never re-ordered). since the pandemic those items are very much sold out...for a time even dried mushroooms (which I do use) were kinda scarce, now just checked and most 'shrooms are available again...

--
Best
Greg
Old 23-05-2020, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

I think he would rather starve to death than run out of
toilet paper,

Apparently, most of the usains think the same way.
An odd first thing to hoard, imo.