Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you keep bakers yeast growing for more uses?

I am not talking about sourdough starter.

Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores. If someone has some, how can
they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?

All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That
is not what I am asking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 5:45:49 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>
> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores. If someone has some, how can
> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>
> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That
> is not what I am asking.

Feed it! Sugar Water. Yeasts grow in Sugar Water!

I'm a Baker! Proof Boxes were meant to grow Yeasts in Dough causing levination or "rising" as the yeast eats the sugars in the dough.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2020 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>
> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores.Â* If someone has some, how can
> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>
> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That
> is not what I am asking.

Â*How about you put some yeast , a little flour , sugar and some water
in a loosely closed container , let it grow for a while . Kinda like a
sourdough starter but you've kept the wild yeasts out . Then divide into
portions and freeze them . I keep my yeast in the freezer anyway to keep
it fresh so I don't see how this can hurt the yeast .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 4/2/2020 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>
> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores. If someone has some, how can
> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>
> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That
> is not what I am asking.

How about you put some yeast , a little flour , sugar and some water
in a loosely closed container , let it grow for a while . Kinda like a
sourdough starter but you've kept the wild yeasts out . Then divide into
portions and freeze them . I keep my yeast in the freezer anyway to keep
it fresh so I don't see how this can hurt the yeast .

Snag
===

Have you tried that? I think i might give it a go!!

It sounds like a good idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2020 7:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Terry Coombs"Â* wrote in message ...
> On 4/2/2020 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>>
>> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores.Â* If someone has some, how
>> can they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time
>> being?
>>
>> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter.
>> That is not what I am asking.

> Â*How about you put some yeast , a little flour , sugar and some water
> in a loosely closed container , let it grow for a while . Kinda like a
> sourdough starter but you've kept the wild yeasts out . Then divide
> into portions and freeze them . I keep my yeast in the freezer anyway
> to keep it fresh so I don't see how this can hurt the yeast .
>
> Â*Snag
> ===
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Have you tried that?Â*Â* I think i might give it a go!!
>
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* It sounds like a good idea.

Â*That's not my idea , I read about doing that somewhere but don't
remember where or when . Give it a shot ! I'm not concerned yet , I have
2 unopened bottles of yeast that should last me at least a couple of
months .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 04:59:24 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 5:45:49 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>>
>> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores. If someone has some, how can
>> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>>
>> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That
>> is not what I am asking.

>Feed it! Sugar Water. Yeasts grow in Sugar Water!
>
>I'm a Baker! Proof Boxes were meant to grow Yeasts in Dough causing levination or "rising" as the yeast eats the sugars in the dough.
>
>John Kuthe...

Kootch, you're no baker, you're a donut dunce... a step below a burger
flipper.
Real bakers buy yeast in bulk, typically in 2-5 pound foil bags that
are kept in the freezer... I have a 2 lb foil bag in my freezer for
some five years and still works perfectly.... almost time for another.
https://www.amazon.com/active-dry-ye...dry+yeast+bulk
I like Red Star:
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Star-Acti...5835717&sr=8-2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-04-02 4:45 a.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>
> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores.Â* If someone has some, how can
> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>
> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter.Â* That
> is not what I am asking.

Go to alt.bread.recipes and look at the post by TimW a couple of days
ago who, faced with the same problem, solved it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/2/2020 7:11 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2020-04-02 4:45 a.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>>
>> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores.Â* If someone has some, how can
>> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>>
>> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter.Â* That
>> is not what I am asking.

> Go to alt.bread.recipes and look at the post by TimW a couple of days
> ago who, faced with the same problem, solved it.

Bingo. That is what I would have thought to do. I actually have a
couple pounds of yeast in the fridge (as always)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 4/2/2020 7:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...
> On 4/2/2020 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>>
>> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores. If someone has some, how can
>> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>>
>> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That is
>> not what I am asking.

> How about you put some yeast , a little flour , sugar and some water in a
> loosely closed container , let it grow for a while . Kinda like a
> sourdough starter but you've kept the wild yeasts out . Then divide into
> portions and freeze them . I keep my yeast in the freezer anyway to keep
> it fresh so I don't see how this can hurt the yeast .
>
> Snag
> ===
> Have you tried that? I think i might give it a go!!
>
> It sounds like a good idea.

That's not my idea , I read about doing that somewhere but don't
remember where or when . Give it a shot ! I'm not concerned yet , I have
2 unopened bottles of yeast that should last me at least a couple of
months .

Snag

====

Yes, I still have plenty of yeast too, but i am keeping that idea in
mind.

If you try it before me, please report back?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-04-02 9:24 a.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 4/2/2020 7:11 AM, graham wrote:
>> On 2020-04-02 4:45 a.m., Taxed and Spent wrote:
>>> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>>>
>>> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores.Â* If someone has some, how can
>>> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>>>
>>> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter.Â* That
>>> is not what I am asking.

>> Go to alt.bread.recipes and look at the post by TimW a couple of days
>> ago who, faced with the same problem, solved it.
>>

> Bingo.Â* That is what I would have thought to do.Â* I actually have a
> couple pounds of yeast in the fridge (as always)

I received free samples of Red Star instant yeast a couple of weeks ago.
One is a blend of yeast and sourdough beasties. I haven't used it yet
and I haven't seen that brand in my local s/ms so I might try Tim's
approach.
I have 2kg of bread dough proofing at the moment. I also have plenty of
yeast and flour so I'm not concerned about not finding either when I
eventually have to shop in 2 weeks time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 07:45:48 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 4/2/2020 5:45 AM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> I am not talking about sourdough starter.
>>
>> Yeast is becoming unavailable in stores.Â* If someone has some, how can
>> they grow it so they will have a continual supply for the time being?
>>
>> All the search results come up for wild yeast, sourdough starter. That
>> is not what I am asking.

> Â*How about you put some yeast , a little flour , sugar and some water
>in a loosely closed container , let it grow for a while . Kinda like a
>sourdough starter but you've kept the wild yeasts out . Then divide into
>portions and freeze them . I keep my yeast in the freezer anyway to keep
>it fresh so I don't see how this can hurt the yeast .

This IS a sourdough starter. Keeping the wild yeasts out is nonsense
because the yeast is on the flour, not in the air.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Speaking of sourdough, if anyone's interested...

In "The Little House Cookbook," Barbara M. Walker spells out how Laura Ingalls Wilder made sourdough without yeast. Walker cautioned, however, that it's not necessarily easy.

She's in her 90s, by the way.

Lenona.