Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pancake Recipe Questions

Hi all. I pretty much use the basic pancake recipe that I got from
Cook's magazine years ago. It produces pancakes with just the right
texture and just the right taste that I like. I would like to make
banana and/or pumpkin pancakes. Question #1: How much banana/pumpkin
should I use? I'm thinking about 1/2-3/4 cup. Question #2: Since I'm
assuming that the addition of the banana/pumpkin would change the
texture, should I compensate by decreasing the amount of flour and/or
buttermilk and, if so, by how much? Just for reference I'm listing the
ingredients and amounts I (Cook's) uses.

2 cups flour
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

TIA,
Jack
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2020 5:33 PM, cruciverbalist wrote:
> Hi all. I pretty much use the basic pancake recipe that I got from
> Cook's magazine years ago. It produces pancakes with just the right
> texture and just the right taste that I like. I would like to make
> banana and/or pumpkin pancakes. Question #1: How much banana/pumpkin
> should I use? I'm thinking about 1/2-3/4 cup. Question #2: Since I'm
> assuming that the addition of the banana/pumpkin would change the
> texture, should I compensate by decreasing the amount of flour and/or
> buttermilk and, if so, by how much? Just for reference I'm listing the
> ingredients and amounts I (Cook's) uses.
>
> 2 cups flour
> 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> 3 tablespoons butter, melted
> 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
>
> TIA,
> Jack

What are you adding? Puree or chunks?

When I add blueberries I change nothing, just toss them in. If you cut
up a banana like that I'd do the same.

As for the 1/4 tsp of vanilla, why bother? You need a tablespoon in
that size batch to make a difference.

Another hint. Mix up a batch of dry ingredients and set aside for
multiple uses.

Still another hint. Add powdered buttermilk head of time in the master
batch and just add water. Instead of 2 cups of flour a batch use 2 1/2
cups of the mix.
You don't have to remember to have buttermilk on hand that way.

Recipe Req -- Apple Pancake The Ranger[_2_] General Cooking 23 11-05-2010 06:28 PM
Recipe Req - Apple Pancake miyo[_2_] General Cooking 0 10-05-2010 04:52 AM
Pancake Recipe CND General Cooking 20 07-05-2007 05:36 PM
Secret pancake recipe? Christopher M. General Cooking 2 12-02-2007 12:38 AM
German pancake recipe? Darryl L. Pierce General Cooking 7 27-04-2004 07:42 PM