FoodBanter.com

-   -   The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/449859-all-you-can-eat.html)

GM 14-02-2020 06:23 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

You might feel fat, but you'll also feel humansomething you can't say at many restaurants, or other places.

FEBRUARY 14, 2020
ADDISON DEL MASTRO

"Perhaps I should have studied or socialized more in graduate school, because some of my fondest and most vibrant memories are of evenings spent alone in all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets (which Ive also written about here and here).

The appeal of the buffet, at a base level, is in its unlimited variety. It sets off the same childlike enthusiasm as a trade expo or a giveaway pile at a yard sale. At age 26, it still triggers memories of giddy excitement over being able to eat whatever I wanted without my parents controlling portions or demanding that veggies come before dessert. (In my experience, dessert at a buffet is most appropriate as an interlude before a final plate.)

Buffets are sometimes cast as symbols of American greed, excess, and materialism. Their uncertain but likely relationship to obesity and eating disorders is disconcerting. In some ways, buffets may be an expression of something dark in our national psyche.

But to psychoanalyze the meaning of the buffet might be just as silly as contemplating the texture of the lo mein noodles or the quality of the sushi rice in the California roll; it misses the point. In addition to whatever the buffet may symbolize, it is an American phenomenon in the best way. At the buffet, there are no class distinctions. All are welcome. It is a quotidian place for the everyman, its family friendly, and it even provides a small opportunity to exercise ones liberty.

Buffets, like coffee shops or the fast food restaurants that photojournalist Chris Arnade famously reps, are third places, in between home and work, combining something commercial with something communitarian. Sitting for a couple of hours at a Chinese buffet is the closest experience I can think of to sitting in a European sidewalk café and people-watching. It is urban, in the sense of lively, chaotic, slightly but pleasantly disordered.

To this point, whenever I stand at a make-your-own-hibachi grill, I think of an elderly man I once observed joking and chatting with the grill cook, clapping as he did a diminutive set of Benihana-style knife and egg tricks. It was obvious that the man was a regular, who found something of a home in the bustling restaurant. How do you measure the real value of a place that, for 12 bucks and change, offers unlimited food, upbeat social surroundings, and a comfortable, climate-controlled place to sit as long as you want?

Or not sit. Because of the buffets self-serve and relatively downscale nature, it is possible to just stand around and mill about in a way that isnt quite permissible in a higher end, full-service restaurantor in many places at all. Can I get you something?a hard-edged security guard inquiry masquerading as ingratiating customer serviceis likely to greet anyone who peers too closely behind a counter or stands underneath a television for a better view.

Most buffets are also extraordinarily family-friendly. This begins with their generous kids pricing, but it has even more to do with the atmosphere of the restaurants (simultaneously relaxed and chaotic) and their size (cavernous). Almost every time I eat at one, I am pulled out of a looming food coma by crying babies or young children running and playing between the tables. I remember doing so myself when I was a kid; this is generally tolerated or ignored by diners and staff alike. Now, I am not one of those performative traditionalists who claims to actually love the sound of crying babies. But it is both heartwarming and of real social importance that there are restaurants where families can go out to eat for a modest sum without having to worry about babysitters or social expectations. Some would view this as disrespect for order; others, more correctly in my opinion, view this expectation of order as disrespect for the inherent chaos of children.

At a broader level, the buffet allows for a certain exercise of liberty. True, there are plenty of anecdotes of big eaters eventually being kicked out, or poor college students being hassled for coming in at 11 a.m. with a backpack and staying for dinner. But aside from fast food outlets, there are few other places where such a thing is even possible. There are few places where a customer has so much power: to choose what and how much to eat, yes, but its not just the small power of consumer choice. Its also being able to comfortably seat a family, to fix a problem with food (by leaving it on the plate) without needing to summon a waiter or stress about sending it back, to sit comfortably for a more or less unlimited time, eating, sketching, writing, studying, chatting, staring. The pace of the dining experience is up to you. It embodies the most basic liberty: the liberty to be left alone.

There is a kind of managerial authoritarianismyou might also call it tight organization and ruthless efficiencyrising everywhere, from travel to dining to retail. Just-in-time inventory stocking and drop-shipping, airport check-in kiosks, hotels with no front desk, and rapid-service, cafeteria-style fast casual restaurants are all manifestations of increasing pace and decreasing margins. There is no room for mistakes, eccentricity, or relaxation.

The buffet, then, is not just an opportunity to engage in gluttony. It is a respite from the intensity of much of modern life. You may feel fat, but you feel human; less so being prodded through security lines or ordering lines or checkout lines. If the steam table can feel like a feeding trough, the line at the fast-casual industrial-chic joint can look a wee bit like a slaughterhouse queue.

Nonetheless, buffets (of all cuisines) are falling out of fashion; as a sector of the restaurant industry, they are shrinking. Numbers demonstrate this; so do anecdotes. Manhattans only all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet closed down a few years ago; so did Washington, D.C.s. While they were once innovative, these restaurants can indeed feel a bit dated these days. One irregularityand expenseare those massive, byzantine dining rooms, seemingly half-empty even when the place is packed. Another, of course, is the menu, which is not only mediocre but also requires hundreds of items and tries to mash many concepts togetherraw bar, carving station, pizza, hibachi, sushi bar, Chinese takeout. Not very local or chef-driven.

Among a medley of challenging business factors, there is also the impression, especially among Millennials, that buffets are not cool or Instagrammable. Food halls, farm-to-table menus, and, of course, delivery are all increasingly popular choices. In some ways, the decline of the buffet may even be a symptom of Americas cultural divide. The large Hispanic family with rowdy kids in Teppanyaki Supreme Buffet is in a similar position to the African-American Bible study group in a McDonalds, which is to say, they are ordinary people whose only fault is enjoying ordinary fare. Consuming food laden with trendy buzzwordsfresh, local, sustainable, minimally processedhas become a class marker, a point noted in the recent book Drive-Thru Dreams (which I reviewed here). For a lot of elites, the buffet, like the McDonalds, is little more than fodder for fat, rat, and cat jokes.

Ive found that these days, unlike when I was a kid, the quality of a buffet seems to inversely correlate with what some people think of as the quality of the neighborhoodthe stray buffet in an affluent suburb tends to be underwhelming and sparse, while more downscale neighborhoods tend to host tastier and more crowded smorgasbords. Though of course for different reasons, buffets, like cities, get better with crowds. It wouldnt hurt the high-eating foodies to occasionally join the crowd.

The humble, dated Chinese buffet, with its Americanized takeout fare and faded wall-sized crane portraits, with its oversized interior and unpretentious manners, is endangered. Its appeal is not just to the stomach, but to the heart, and even to freedom. Its a place to feel a little bit of empowerment as a customer, to be temporarily freed of both social convention and bean-counting managerialism. The buffet is diverse yet simple, populist, rough around the edges. It is indeed an American institution, and America would be poorerand hungrierwithout it..."

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Addison Del Mastro is assistant editor of The American Conservative. He is a graduate of the University of Maryland School of Public Policy and writes on urbanism, place, and popular and cultural history. Follow him on Twitter at @ad_mastro.

</>

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-02-2020 06:51 PM

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>
> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 14-02-2020 07:21 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>
>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

I find all-you-can-eat places a big turnoff. All those greedy,
over-stuffed people who almost can't walk anymore but still go back
for more, because it's FREE!

[email protected] 14-02-2020 08:43 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 05:21:18 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>>
>>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

>I find all-you-can-eat places a big turnoff. All those greedy,
>over-stuffed people who almost can't walk anymore but still go back
>for more, because it's FREE!

When you attend an affair with an open bar how many times do you
go for refills?

songbird 14-02-2020 09:08 PM

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>
>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

> I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
> of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

the few i've been to, only one was actually decent, the rest
of them were foods from containers or sauces from jars, etc.
nothing very interesting or unique enough.

and like you, i can't eat that much any more to make it
worth going.

the most recent one i went to was to try out a new
Indian Food place (it was several years ago when i
went) to see if i liked their food enough to go back
sometime and order a regular meal. i didn't. i can
cook it myself much better than that.

songbird

Bruce[_28_] 14-02-2020 09:27 PM

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:43:42 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 05:21:18 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/

>>>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>>>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

>>I find all-you-can-eat places a big turnoff. All those greedy,
>>over-stuffed people who almost can't walk anymore but still go back
>>for more, because it's FREE!

>When you attend an affair with an open bar how many times do you
>go for refills?

Anybody who tells Dutch or Australians that beer refills are free,
goes broke on the spot, so I've never seen that.

Jeus[_55_] 14-02-2020 10:03 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>
>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
though.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 14-02-2020 10:19 PM

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:03:13 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> >> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
> >>
> >> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

> >I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
> >of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

> Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> though.

I've been to some buffets that were really excellent, especially
brunch buffet at a decent hotel. A whole table of various kinds of fish
(smoked and steamed, served cold). Omelets made to order. Delicious pastries.
Way back when, I actually could eat enough to make it worth ponying up the $20
or more--which was a lot of money in those days.

But that's not the kind of buffets under discussion in the article that
GM reposted.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-02-2020 10:50 PM

On 2020-02-14 4:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>> Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>> where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>> though.

> I've been to some buffets that were really excellent, especially
> brunch buffet at a decent hotel. A whole table of various kinds of fish
> (smoked and steamed, served cold). Omelets made to order. Delicious pastries.
> Way back when, I actually could eat enough to make it worth ponying up the $20
> or more--which was a lot of money in those days.

I have had some great breakfast buffets at European hotels. Some had a
somewhat limited variety of foods, but very high quality. Several in
France and Germany had a much wider range of foods, and all excellent
quality. They had the usual bacon, eggs,ham, sausage, but there was
also a variety of nice cheeses and cold cuts, breads, rolls, pastries,
fruit, juice, yogurt, gravlox.....

[email protected] 14-02-2020 10:50 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 07:27:08 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:43:42 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 05:21:18 +1100, Bruce >
>>wrote:

https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/

>>>I find all-you-can-eat places a big turnoff. All those greedy,
>>>over-stuffed people who almost can't walk anymore but still go back
>>>for more, because it's FREE!

>>When you attend an affair with an open bar how many times do you
>>go for refills?

>Anybody who tells Dutch or Australians that beer refills are free,
>goes broke on the spot, so I've never seen that.

Beer is too cheap to go broke... even students can easily afford kegs.

Bruce[_28_] 14-02-2020 10:59 PM

wrote:

https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/

>>>When you attend an affair with an open bar how many times do you
>>>go for refills?

>>Anybody who tells Dutch or Australians that beer refills are free,
>>goes broke on the spot, so I've never seen that.

>Beer is too cheap to go broke... even students can easily afford kegs.

I guess there are types of beer.

Graham 14-02-2020 11:10 PM

On 2020-02-14 10:23 a.m., GM wrote:
> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>
> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

And morbidly obese.

[email protected] 14-02-2020 11:21 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

They all **** out the same.

Bruce[_28_] 14-02-2020 11:41 PM

wrote:

https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/

>>>Beer is too cheap to go broke... even students can easily afford kegs.

>>I guess there are types of beer.

>They all **** out the same.

They may leave the same, but they don't arrive the same.

Graham 15-02-2020 12:16 AM

wrote:

https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/

>>> I guess there are types of beer.

>> They all **** out the same.

> They may leave the same, but they don't arrive the same.

You don't BUY beer - you rent it!

jmcquown[_2_] 15-02-2020 12:42 AM

On 2/14/2020 4:19 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:03:13 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>>> of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

>> Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>> Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>> where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>> though.

> I've been to some buffets that were really excellent, especially
> brunch buffet at a decent hotel. A whole table of various kinds of fish
> (smoked and steamed, served cold). Omelets made to order. Delicious pastries.
> Way back when, I actually could eat enough to make it worth ponying up the $20
> or more--which was a lot of money in those days.

I'm reminded of a very nice brunch buffet in the ballroom at The Peabody
Hotel in Memphis. Coincidentally, it might have been a Valentine's Day
brunch. I went with a whole bunch of friends and we had a great time.
It was pretty much like you describe, Cindy. Freshly made croissants
and other pastries, a custom omelet station, freshly made Belgian
waffles. There was a roast beef carving station and they served Nova
Scotia lox, fresh fruits, all sorts of things. IIRC it was $30/person
and included champagne, coffee, tea (hot or iced). They had a live band
(light jazz). We had a great time.

> But that's not the kind of buffets under discussion in the article that
> GM reposted.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Nope, that's not the kind of buffet in the article GM posted. I've
never been a fan of all you can eat buffets, particularly not Chinese
restaurant buffets. The few I've been to, well hey, who knows how long
that stuff had been sitting there. The author wrote "It sets off the
same childlike enthusiasm as a trade expo or a giveaway pile at a yard
sale. At age 26, it still triggers memories of giddy excitement..."

Twenty six! Well hey, there's the voice of experience! Wait until he's
50 and see if he's still giddy. I don't get excited about yard sales or
trade shows, either. ;)

Jill

Ophelia[_11_] 15-02-2020 11:12 AM

"Jeus" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>
>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
though.

====

That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
either but I would like that:)

jmcquown[_2_] 15-02-2020 05:13 PM

On 2/15/2020 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Jeßus"* wrote in message ...
>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>>

>>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>> I guess I'll just have to stay unfree.* I can't eat more than one plate
>> of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

> Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> though.
>
> ====
>
> ** That sounds great!* I've never seen that!** I don't like buffets
> much either but I would like that:)

I don't see the point in going out to a restaurant if you have to cook
the food yourself.

Could be he's trying to describe a teppanyaki type restaurant.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 15-02-2020 07:07 PM

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:13:10 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/15/2020 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Jeßus"* wrote in message ...
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> >> I guess I'll just have to stay unfree.* I can't eat more than one plate
> >> of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

> > Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> > Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> > where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> > though.
> >
> > ====
> >
> > ** That sounds great!* I've never seen that!** I don't like buffets
> > much either but I would like that:)
> >

> I don't see the point in going out to a restaurant if you have to cook
> the food yourself.
>
> Could be he's trying to describe a teppanyaki type restaurant.
>
> Jill

Sitting around the grill at a Korean barbecue place with close friends,
grilling the food and talking is a wonderful social event.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_barbecue>

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 15-02-2020 08:43 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:07:59 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:13:10 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/15/2020 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "Jeßus"* wrote in message ...
>> >
>> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>> > Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>> > Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>> > where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>> > though.
>> >
>> > ====
>> >
>> > ** That sounds great!* I've never seen that!** I don't like buffets
>> > much either but I would like that:)
>> >

>> I don't see the point in going out to a restaurant if you have to cook
>> the food yourself.
>>
>> Could be he's trying to describe a teppanyaki type restaurant.
>>
>> Jill

>Sitting around the grill at a Korean barbecue place with close friends,
>grilling the food and talking is a wonderful social event.
>
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_barbecue>

It's a bit like fondue. Had it been a western thing, we'd have left it
behind in the 70s, where it belongs.

Jeus[_55_] 17-02-2020 01:07 AM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeus" wrote in message ...
>
>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>>
>>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

>Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>though.
>
>====
>
> That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
>either but I would like that:)

<Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/

Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
buffets in Thailand.

Ophelia[_11_] 17-02-2020 09:41 AM

"Jeus" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeus" wrote in message ...
>
>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:23:17 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
>>> https://www.theamericanconservative....-america-free/
>>>
>>> The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

>>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

>Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>though.
>
>====
>
> That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
>either but I would like that:)

<Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/

Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
buffets in Thailand.

===

Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)

I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
very practical. No, that looks good:)

jmcquown[_2_] 19-02-2020 12:50 AM

On 2/15/2020 1:07 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:13:10 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/15/2020 5:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Jeßus"* wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>>> Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>>> where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>>> though.
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> ** That sounds great!* I've never seen that!** I don't like buffets
>>> much either but I would like that:)
>>>

>> I don't see the point in going out to a restaurant if you have to cook
>> the food yourself.
>>
>> Could be he's trying to describe a teppanyaki type restaurant.
>>
>> Jill

> Sitting around the grill at a Korean barbecue place with close friends,
> grilling the food and talking is a wonderful social event.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_barbecue>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Or you could just invite some friends and do a BBQ at home. Look up some
recipes for typical (per your link) Korean BBQ and buy the ingredients.
Some people do enjoy restaurant atmospheres so I get that. It's not the
sort of restaurant scenario I'd like. I'd rather make it a convivial
BBQ gathering at home (or at one of my friends' homes).

It's also not a buffet.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 19-02-2020 11:54 AM

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 6:50:11 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/15/2020 1:07 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I don't see the point in going out to a restaurant if you have to cook
> >> the food yourself.
> >>
> >> Could be he's trying to describe a teppanyaki type restaurant.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Sitting around the grill at a Korean barbecue place with close friends,
> > grilling the food and talking is a wonderful social event.
> >
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_barbecue>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Or you could just invite some friends and do a BBQ at home. Look up some
> recipes for typical (per your link) Korean BBQ and buy the ingredients.

More work than I care to engage in. The banchan alone would be like
making an entire meal, and they're just the side dishes.

> Some people do enjoy restaurant atmospheres so I get that. It's not the
> sort of restaurant scenario I'd like. I'd rather make it a convivial
> BBQ gathering at home (or at one of my friends' homes).

Everybody's different. We've most often gone out for Korean barbecue
with the friends who introduced it to us.

> It's also not a buffet.
>
> Jill

True. We're enjoying some thread drift.

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1[_2_] 19-02-2020 08:21 PM

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
>
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Jeßus" wrote in message ...
> >
> >On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
> >>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

> >Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> >Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> >where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> >though.
> >
> >====
> >
> > That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
> >either but I would like that:)

> <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
>
> Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> buffets in Thailand.
>
> ===
>
> Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
>
> I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
> very practical. No, that looks good:)

We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go. I liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on the side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the young folks.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3

Bruce[_28_] 19-02-2020 08:29 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:21:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >"Jeßus" wrote in message ...

>> >Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>> >Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>> >where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>> >though.
>> >
>> >====
>> >
>> > That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
>> >either but I would like that:)

>> <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
>>
>> Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
>> the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
>> buffets in Thailand.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
>> their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
>>
>> I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
>> very practical. No, that looks good:)

>We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw.

Now we know where the next pandemic's going to start.

dsi1[_2_] 19-02-2020 08:35 PM

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 9:29:04 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:21:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
> >>
> >> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"

> >> <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
> >>
> >> https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
> >>
> >> Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> >> the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> >> buffets in Thailand.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> >> their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
> >>
> >> I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
> >> very practical. No, that looks good:)

> >We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw.

> Now we know where the next pandemic's going to start.

I predict that in 5 years, 50% of the locals will be dead from the plague.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 19-02-2020 08:47 PM

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 2:21:25 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >"Jeßus" wrote in message ...

> > >Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> > >Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> > >where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> > >though.
> > >
> > >====
> > >
> > > That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
> > >either but I would like that:)

> > <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
> >
> > Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> > the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> > buffets in Thailand.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> > their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
> >
> > I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
> > very practical. No, that looks good:)

> We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go. I liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on the side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the young folks.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3

That's some nice-looking stuff.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce[_28_] 19-02-2020 08:47 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:35:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 9:29:04 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:21:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw.

>> Now we know where the next pandemic's going to start.

>I predict that in 5 years, 50% of the locals will be dead from the plague.

Or swallowed by a tsunami.

Patrick Dennis[_4_] 19-02-2020 08:58 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

on 2/19/2020, Bruce supposed :

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Ln7IaWOKA87h/

dsi1[_2_] 19-02-2020 09:07 PM

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 9:47:38 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 2:21:25 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
> > >
> > > On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"

> > > <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
> > >
> > > https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
> > >
> > > Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> > > the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> > > buffets in Thailand.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> > > their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
> > >
> > > I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
> > > very practical. No, that looks good:)

> > We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go. I liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on the side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the young folks.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3

> That's some nice-looking stuff.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'd like it more if I was 40 years younger. It's no restaurant for old men.

Ophelia[_11_] 19-02-2020 09:07 PM

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
>
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Jeßus" wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >>I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
> >>of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

> >Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> >Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> >where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> >though.
> >
> >====
> >
> > That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
> >either but I would like that:)

> <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
>
> Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> buffets in Thailand.
>
> ===
>
> Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
>
> I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
> very practical. No, that looks good:)

We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except
most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go. I
liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the
ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on the
side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the young
folks.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3

====

Well I am not young, but it looks good to me:)))

Bruce[_28_] 19-02-2020 09:08 PM

The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:47:35 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 2:21:25 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

>> > Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
>> > their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
>> >
>> > I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
>> > very practical. No, that looks good:)

>> We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go. I liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on the side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the young folks.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3

>That's some nice-looking stuff.

If you zoom in on the corpsy bits, you can just see a corona virus!

dsi1[_2_] 19-02-2020 09:32 PM

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 10:07:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Jeßus" wrote in message ...
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >"Jeßus" wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> > >Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> > >where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> > >though.
> > >
> > >====
> > >
> > > That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets much
> > >either but I would like that:)

> > <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
> >
> > Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> > the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> > buffets in Thailand.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> > their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
> >
> > I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL Not
> > very practical. No, that looks good:)

> We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal except
> most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go.. I
> liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the
> ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on the
> side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the young
> folks.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3
>
> ====
>
> Well I am not young, but it looks good to me:)))

That little dipping bowl has some sesame oil in it with salt laying on the bottom. You dip the meat in the oil/salt. It's some pretty good stuff.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 19-02-2020 10:07 PM

Ophelia[_11_] 19-02-2020 10:22 PM

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 10:07:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 10:41:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Jeßus" wrote in message
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >"Jeßus" wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
> > >Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
> > >where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
> > >though.
> > >
> > >====
> > >
> > > That sounds great! I've never seen that! I don't like buffets
> > > much
> > >either but I would like that:)

> > <Hmm, I still have hit send since yesterday....>
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/gallery/3cy4una3s/
> >
> > Here's a few pics to give you and idea. I've never taken any pics of
> > the buffets itself, but here are the two most common ways of DIY
> > buffets in Thailand.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Thank you! So, is that a central cooking (thingy) and they all put
> > their food on that? It looks jolly good though:)
> >
> > I had imagined each person had a little cooker of their own LOL
> > Not
> > very practical. No, that looks good:)

> We went to a Korean yakiniku joint recently. It's a buffet type deal
> except
> most of the meat is served raw. If you love meat it's a great place to go.
> liked the Jello cubes. These places will have a tube hanging down from the
> ceiling which suck up the smoke from the grill or there will be vents on
> the
> side of the grill which suck down the smoke. It's a lot of fun for the
> young
> folks.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...cy_HYIK2XbMWy3
>
> ====
>
> Well I am not young, but it looks good to me:)))

That little dipping bowl has some sesame oil in it with salt laying on the
bottom. You dip the meat in the oil/salt. It's some pretty good stuff.

==

All new to me:)