Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default High-Fructose Corn Syrup

Read this last week and found it interesting:

"High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
people believed it must be the cause.

But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
more expensive."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:05:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Read this last week and found it interesting:
>
> "High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
> to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
> of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
> functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
> As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
> people believed it must be the cause.
>
> But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
> sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
> removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
> more expensive."

It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:05:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> Read this last week and found it interesting:
>>
>> "High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
>> to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
>> of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
>> functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
>> As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
>> people believed it must be the cause.
>>
>> But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
>> sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
>> removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
>> more expensive."

>It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.

On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
something-or-other with a straw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:17:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:05:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >> Read this last week and found it interesting:
> >>
> >> "High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
> >> to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
> >> of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
> >> functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
> >> As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
> >> people believed it must be the cause.
> >>
> >> But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
> >> sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
> >> removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
> >> more expensive."

> >It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.

> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
> something-or-other with a straw.

How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:17:19 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:05:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >> Read this last week and found it interesting:
> >>
> >> "High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
> >> to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
> >> of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
> >> functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
> >> As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
> >> people believed it must be the cause.
> >>
> >> But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
> >> sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
> >> removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
> >> more expensive."

> >It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.

> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
> something-or-other with a straw.

What a shock that must have been. OTOH, you shouldn't expect to get the same stuff when ordering in a different land. You got to just eat like the locals do and shut the hell up. I once saw a couple dressed up like cowboys order some chili in a restaurant and boy, were they upset when they got their food! People should never order chili when they're outside of their country - especially if that country is Texas. That's just common sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:17:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.

>> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
>> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
>> something-or-other with a straw.

>How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
>disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:29:46 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:17:19 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.

>> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
>> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
>> something-or-other with a straw.

>What a shock that must have been. OTOH, you shouldn't expect to get the same stuff when ordering in a different land. You got to just eat like the locals do and shut the hell up.

True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:29:46 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:17:19 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> >> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
> >> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
> >> something-or-other with a straw.

> >What a shock that must have been. OTOH, you shouldn't expect to get the same stuff when ordering in a different land. You got to just eat like the locals do and shut the hell up.

> True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
> y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
> knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
> cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.

Not all y'all but some of y'all. On some parts of the US, it does indeed mean iced, sweetened, tea. Over here, it means either hot or iced. You'll be asked which one you want. We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:10:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:29:46 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >What a shock that must have been. OTOH, you shouldn't expect to get the same stuff when ordering in a different land. You got to just eat like the locals do and shut the hell up.

>> True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
>> y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
>> knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
>> cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.

>Not all y'all but some of y'all. On some parts of the US, it does indeed mean iced, sweetened, tea. Over here, it means either hot or iced. You'll be asked which one you want. We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

Yes, I guess Texas doesn't represent the whole country.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-14 12:16 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:10:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:29:46 -0800 (PST), dsi1

>>> True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
>>> y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
>>> knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
>>> cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.

>> Not all y'all but some of y'all. On some parts of the US, it does indeed mean iced, sweetened, tea. Over here, it means either hot or iced. You'll be asked which one you want. We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

> Yes, I guess Texas doesn't represent the whole country.

It thinks it does:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:21:30 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2020-02-14 12:16 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:10:37 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> Not all y'all but some of y'all. On some parts of the US, it does indeed mean iced, sweetened, tea. Over here, it means either hot or iced. You'll be asked which one you want. We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

> > Yes, I guess Texas doesn't represent the whole country.
> >

> It thinks it does:-)

Texas is the rest of the country writ large.

If an outsider wants to understand how Americans see ourselves, I
recommend two works of speculative fiction:

1632 by Eric Flint
Disruption Trilogy by R.E. McDermott

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 05:53:10 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:17:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1

>>> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
>>> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
>>> something-or-other with a straw.

>>How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
>>disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

>There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
>But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
>the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.

When traveling in the US you must specify if you want hot tea or iced
tea. Iced tea is a common beverage here, available at all times of
the year and all venues. However, if you are traveling in the south,
and want iced tea you must specify that you do not want your iced tea
sweet if you want plain iced tea. Sweet-tea is (by long custom) a
beverage of the American south.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2020 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:

> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
> something-or-other with a straw.

A hot cup of tea would likely have been some hot water sloshed into a
thick, cold cup, with a teabag set on the saucer.

This is why my mother never ordered tea in the US - she said that bad
coffee was more tolerable than undrinkable tea-water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
> y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
> knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
> cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.

in the south, yes, up north here you get iced tea
or hot tea and if you want sugar in it you can put
it in yourself.

i don't drink tea nearly as much now as i used to
before when i was addicted to caffiene, but as the
years went by i found out how much better i slept
without having caffiene and how little was an
addictive dose (half a cup of weak coffee two to
three days in a row).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:57:02 PM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/14/2020 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
> > On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
> > expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
> > something-or-other with a straw.
> >

> A hot cup of tea would likely have been some hot water sloshed into a
> thick, cold cup, with a teabag set on the saucer.

You're not entirely wrong. A decent tea culture has sprung up, but
only in specialty venues.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 12:40:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 05:53:10 +1100, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>>How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
>>>disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

>>There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
>>But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
>>the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.

>When traveling in the US you must specify if you want hot tea or iced
>tea. Iced tea is a common beverage here, available at all times of
>the year and all venues. However, if you are traveling in the south,
>and want iced tea you must specify that you do not want your iced tea
>sweet if you want plain iced tea. Sweet-tea is (by long custom) a
>beverage of the American south.

I think I saw ice tea for the first time 30 years ago or so. I believe
the first brand was Liptonice. If you want to order ice tea in the
Netherlands (Europe?), you have to specify ICE tea, otherwise you get
a hot cup of tea, which is much more common.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:10:43 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:29:46 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > > wrote:

> > >What a shock that must have been. OTOH, you shouldn't expect to get the same stuff when ordering in a different land. You got to just eat like the locals do and shut the hell up.

> > True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
> > y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
> > knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
> > cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.

> Not all y'all but some of y'all. On some parts of the US, it does indeed mean iced,
> sweetened, tea. Over here, it means either hot or iced. You'll be asked which one you
> want. We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

That's the much older Hawai'i generation. When I was there in 2001, sweetened and non-sweetened green tea was the asian craze with everything, right on down to green tea ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:56:54 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/14/2020 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
>> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
>> something-or-other with a straw.
>>

>A hot cup of tea would likely have been some hot water sloshed into a
>thick, cold cup, with a teabag set on the saucer.

It's very often like that in the Netherlands too, although generally
in a glass cup. Not that I've ever ordered tea myself.

>This is why my mother never ordered tea in the US - she said that bad
>coffee was more tolerable than undrinkable tea-water.

"It's getting harder and harder to get a bad cup of coffee in the Los
Angeles area."
(Tom Waits)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:07:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Read this last week and found it interesting:
>
>"High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener

"nutritive sweetener" ROTFL... unbelievable

>similar
>to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
>of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
>functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
>As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
>people believed it must be the cause.
>
>But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
>sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
>removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
>more expensive."

LOL, and where did you find this complete bullshit from? No link with
your cite. But of course, it's obviously from either the FDA or the
corn lobby.

If there is any one 'food' item that has made America fat and
diabetic, it's HFCS.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:45:15 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:05:13 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> Read this last week and found it interesting:
>>
>> "High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
>> to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
>> of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
>> functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
>> As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
>> people believed it must be the cause.
>>
>> But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
>> sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
>> removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
>> more expensive."

>It's widespread use in the food industry is simply because it's cheap. Americans are fat simply because food is cheap. It's all so very simple.

Cheap and full of empty carbohydrates. What and age we live in when
you can be both simultaneously malnourished and obese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:22:00 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:10:43 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:29:46 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> > > True. I just didn't realize "tea" means sweet, cold and a lot of it to
> > > y'all. And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
> > > knowing that half the country has diabetes. You're like lemmings,
> > > cluelessly wobbling towards the abyss.

> > Not all y'all but some of y'all. On some parts of the US, it does indeed mean iced,
> > sweetened, tea. Over here, it means either hot or iced. You'll be asked which one you
> > want. We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

> That's the much older Hawai'i generation. When I was there in 2001, sweetened and non-sweetened green tea was the asian craze with everything, right on down to green tea ice cream.

You are correct. Bubble tea and iced drinks with tapioca balls other things in it were getting big back then. They're still popular with the younger set. I don't drink those things because they're better suited for the bodies of the young. I went with my son and grandkids to a place that the kids like. It was okay. I ordered a drink with reduced sugar. The kids like to order drinks with full on sugar. I can't say if it had any tea in it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tea-home-kaneohe-kaneohe-4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:07:18 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:07:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Read this last week and found it interesting:
> >
> >"High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener

> "nutritive sweetener" ROTFL... unbelievable

That just means it has calories, as opposed to saccharin (for example).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:28:10 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> "It's getting harder and harder to get a bad cup of coffee in the Los
> Angeles area."
> (Tom Waits)

I can't get a stinkin' cup of coffee in this town that's any good. If I want one, I have to make it myself and I don't really enjoy my own cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tTzEifY6M
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2020 2:56 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/14/2020 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
>> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
>> something-or-other with a straw.
>>

> A hot cup of tea would likely have been some hot water sloshed into a
> thick, cold cup, with a teabag set on the saucer.
>
> This is why my mother never ordered tea in the US - she said that bad
> coffee was more tolerable than undrinkable tea-water.

I do the same. Only once did I have a good cup of tea in a restaurant.
This morning I was talking with a friend and she takes her own tea bags
with her to control one variable.Part of our conversation was cooking
for one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:21:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:28:10 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "It's getting harder and harder to get a bad cup of coffee in the Los
>> Angeles area."
>> (Tom Waits)

>I can't get a stinkin' cup of coffee in this town that's any good. If I want one, I have to make it myself and I don't really enjoy my own cooking.

Don't you have a place with decent espresso's, cappuccinos and all
that?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tTzEifY6M

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:49:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:21:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:28:10 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> "It's getting harder and harder to get a bad cup of coffee in the Los
> >> Angeles area."
> >> (Tom Waits)

> >I can't get a stinkin' cup of coffee in this town that's any good. If I want one, I have to make it myself and I don't really enjoy my own cooking.

> Don't you have a place with decent espresso's, cappuccinos and all
> that?
>
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tTzEifY6M

I could go to Starbucks but I won't do that on general principle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:53:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
> >> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
> >> something-or-other with a straw.

> >How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
> >disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

> There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
> But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
> the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.

I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:00:21 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
> knowing that half the country has diabetes.

More clueless bullshit. Cite your source where "half the country has diabetes."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:40:14 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> When traveling in the US you must specify if you want hot tea or iced
> tea. Iced tea is a common beverage here, available at all times of
> the year and all venues. However, if you are traveling in the south,
> and want iced tea you must specify that you do not want your iced tea
> sweet if you want plain iced tea. Sweet-tea is (by long custom) a
> beverage of the American south.
> Janet US

Nailed it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-14 2:43 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/14/2020 2:56 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 2/14/2020 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> On TV, I saw an English woman order a tea in Texas somewhere. She was
>>> expecting a cup of hot tea. She got a bucket of cold, sweet
>>> something-or-other with a straw.
>>>

>> A hot cup of tea would likely have been some hot water sloshed into a
>> thick, cold cup, with a teabag set on the saucer.
>>
>> This is why my mother never ordered tea in the US - she said that bad
>> coffee was more tolerable than undrinkable tea-water.
>>

> I do the same.Â* Only once did I have a good cup of tea in a restaurant.
> This morning I was talking with a friend and she takes her own tea bags
> with her to control one variable.Part of our conversation was cooking
> for one.

I have a cookbook for singles by Delia Smith, La Doyenne of British
cookery, called:
"One is fun".
It isn't!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:20:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:07:18 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:07:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> >Read this last week and found it interesting:
>> >
>> >"High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener

>> "nutritive sweetener" ROTFL... unbelievable

>That just means it has calories, as opposed to saccharin (for example).

No quite. Calories are not all the same, far from it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:53:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

>> >How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
>> >disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

>> There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
>> But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
>> the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.
>>

>I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
served what I described.

When in Rome do as the Romans do, and all that. I was just surprised.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:03:25 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:00:21 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> And I don't understand why people don't change their ways
>> knowing that half the country has diabetes.
>>

>More clueless bullshit. Cite your source where "half the country has diabetes."

"More than 100 million U.S. adults are now living with diabetes or
prediabetes, according to a new report released today by the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

It's age related, of course. In highschools there will be few, in RFC
there will be many.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:57:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:49:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:21:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I can't get a stinkin' cup of coffee in this town that's any good. If I want one, I have to make it myself and I don't really enjoy my own cooking.

>> Don't you have a place with decent espresso's, cappuccinos and all
>> that?
>>
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tTzEifY6M

>I could go to Starbucks but I won't do that on general principle.

Nothing that's run by Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese etc?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:00:52 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>>LOL, and where did you find this complete bullshit from? No link with
>>your cite. But of course, it's obviously from either the FDA or the
>>corn lobby.
>>
>>If there is any one 'food' item that has made America fat and
>>diabetic, it's HFCS.

>hmmm... no link, no citation ... PKB

Well, it IS (somewhere) on the Net, hidden in the Dark Corner
that is protected by Big Agra and Big Pharma, and all the other
kookie consiracy garbage.

Alex Jones, Rush Limberger, and Mike Adams all say so,
so it MUST be true!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:53:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

>> >How unfortunate she did not research the local customs. Imagine the
>> >disappointment of a Texan visiting England and receiving a cup of hot tea.

>> There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
>> But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
>> the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.
>>

>I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.

Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
abomination.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2020 6:42 PM, Still Bud wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:53:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
>>> But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
>>> the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.
>>>

>> I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>> hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>> plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>> want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.
>
> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
> abomination.

Or just ask for a glass of unsweetened iced tea. It's not rocket science.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:45:39 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/14/2020 6:42 PM, Still Bud wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>> I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>>> hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>>> plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>>> want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

>> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.
>>
>> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
>> abomination.
>>

>Or just ask for a glass of unsweetened iced tea. It's not rocket science.

Whoosh.