Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default High-Fructose Corn Syrup

On 2020-02-15 6:03 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:39:11 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> I could go to Starbucks but I won't do that on general
>>> principle.

>> Nothing that's run by Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese etc?

> I don't got no problem with the folks that run Starbucks - unless, of
> course, they're white people. I don't trust those guys!

That's interesting because I am reluctant to use charge cards and bank
cards in businesses run by certain ethnic groups. My concerns are based
on my knowledge of people in those groups being involved in scams
whereby they use information grabbed electronically to scam users. I
might be accused of being racist for my attitude, even though some of
those groups are white.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 15:05:34 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:08:25 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:07:19 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Oooooooh, now the 'story' changes. At first she ordered tea and is shocked
>> >when she got sweet iced tea. NOW she orders tea and is told they only have sweet tea and the woman nods ok. She was surprised when she got iced tea
>> >when she was told that's what they have?? Either the customer is stupid or
>> >the person relaying this tale is stupid.
>> >
>> >Which is it? She ordered hot tea and got the cold stuff or she nods ok for
>> >the iced tea and then is surprised when a glass of iced sweet tea is set before
>> >her?
>> >
>> >Is this story going to change again???

>> You're nuts or you can't read. And why is this such a touchy topic?

>Tea in a bucket? Sounds like a winner!
>
>http://www.manuretea.com/wp-content/...om-300x300.jpg

But is it sweet? And is it cold? And are refills free?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 7:26:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 15:29:38 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >It's just our resident little Dutch boy looking for something to bitch about
> >the USA. He found an obscure article about some ding-a-ling reporter in
> >Texas whining about sweet tea and lit on it like stink on shit.

> You really can't read. I didn't read an article, I saw it on TV. The
> reporter didn't say anything. I didn't whine. You've been going on
> like a butt hurt little whiner on repeat.
>
> Now read the above slowly, using your finger to guide you.

Why even post it then if you didn't want to whine about sweet tea and sugar
everything else?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 17:41:38 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 7:26:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 15:29:38 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >It's just our resident little Dutch boy looking for something to bitch about
>> >the USA. He found an obscure article about some ding-a-ling reporter in
>> >Texas whining about sweet tea and lit on it like stink on shit.

>> You really can't read. I didn't read an article, I saw it on TV. The
>> reporter didn't say anything. I didn't whine. You've been going on
>> like a butt hurt little whiner on repeat.
>>
>> Now read the above slowly, using your finger to guide you.
>>

>Why even post it then if you didn't want to whine about sweet tea and sugar
>everything else?

Why not? It's even on topic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:57 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:52:09 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:03:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Half a litre/500 ml maybe.

> >Shit, that's not a bucket. You can get a liter of sweetened beverage
> >at some places.

> And free refills! This is really very bad for people.

And people are free to decline the refills, order a smaller beverage,
or drink water instead.

> >My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way

Since it's me drinking the coffee, it doesn't matter whether you'd call
it real or not.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
> >estimate the volume of the container?

> Half a litre/500 ml maybe.

heh heh
That's the oddest definition of a bucket I've ever heard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way

My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
One mug full. I make it strong too.
How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-16 8:23 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
>>> estimate the volume of the container?

>> Half a litre/500 ml maybe.

> heh heh
> That's the oddest definition of a bucket I've ever heard.

Well, he is a bit of an idiot. Wash buckets are generally 2 1/2 gallons,
8 qts, so roughly 8 litres, making them about 16 times larger than
Bruce's imagined sweet tea serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2020 8:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>

> My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
> One mug full. I make it strong too.
> How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

You should not drink that much. Limit yourself to about 15 ounces
instead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:25:15 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>

>My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>One mug full. I make it strong too.
>How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

We each have a 12 oz coffee mug, I drink two, my wife drinks three. My
wife has hers with milk, no sugar, I drink mine black, no sugar.
I'm who sets up the coffee maker so I know it's a lot stronger than
most people will tolerate. I never order coffee at restaurants, it's
always weak like dishwater, not very hot, and unfortunately made with
lousy tap water. We only drink coffee in the morning, my wife drinks
tea all day, I don't drink pond water. During the day I drink RO
water with RO ice and a lemon wedge. After dinner I switch to Diet
Sprite with Crystal Palace, still with RO ice and a lemon wedge.
Municiple water is tested at the source but then it travels through
many miles of poluted piping before it exits your tap. And all of
those cartridge tap filters do nothing other than waste your money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 2/16/2020 8:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:

> >> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
> >> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
> >>

> > My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
> > One mug full. I make it strong too.
> > How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?
> >

> You should not drink that much. Limit yourself to about 15 ounces
> instead.

Oh, all right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:44:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> >>

>> And free refills! This is really very bad for people.

>And people are free to decline the refills, order a smaller beverage,
>or drink water instead.

Gimme a D. Gimme a U. Gimme an H.

>> >My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>

>Since it's me drinking the coffee, it doesn't matter whether you'd call
>it real or not.

It can't be coffee as I call it. It must be coffee as you call it.
Water of colour. (Did I say that politically correctly?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:25:15 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>

>My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>One mug full. I make it strong too.
>How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

I don't believe that's coffee either. Man, that's almost half a litre.
Either it's not coffee or Americans are completely lost when it comes
to quantities of food and drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:32:57 -0500, Sheldon > wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:25:15 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:

>>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>>

>>My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>>One mug full. I make it strong too.
>>How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

>We each have a 12 oz coffee mug

Sorry, I don't speak Swahili.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:57 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Shit, that's not a bucket. You can get a liter of sweetened beverage
>>> at some places.

>> And free refills! This is really very bad for people.

> And people are free to decline the refills, order a smaller beverage,
> or drink water instead.
>
>>> My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>

> Since it's me drinking the coffee, it doesn't matter whether you'd call
> it real or not.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Bet his wooden shoes aren't real either ... probably chinese
plastic with woodgrain finish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/16/2020 8:25 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee,
>>> no way
>>>

>> My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>> One mug full. I make it strong too.
>> How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?
>>

> You should not drink that much.* Limit yourself to about 15 ounces
> instead.

Ed, yoose better check with Fruce on that amount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:32:57 -0500, Sheldon > wrote:

>>> My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>>> One mug full. I make it strong too.
>>> How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

>> We each have a 12 oz coffee mug

> Sorry, I don't speak Swahili.

It's not swahili. It's 100% mayan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:23:14 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
>> >estimate the volume of the container?

>> Half a litre/500 ml maybe.

>heh heh
>That's the oddest definition of a bucket I've ever heard.

REALLY! 3 12 ounce cans is a bit more than a liter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:44:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> >>
> >> And free refills! This is really very bad for people.

> >And people are free to decline the refills, order a smaller beverage,
> >or drink water instead.

> Gimme a D. Gimme a U. Gimme an H.

> >> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
> >> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
> >>

> >Since it's me drinking the coffee, it doesn't matter whether you'd call
> >it real or not.

> It can't be coffee as I call it. It must be coffee as you call it.
> Water of colour. (Did I say that politically correctly?)

What is coffee as you call it? Espresso? Dark roast?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:16:44 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 03:44:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >And people are free to decline the refills, order a smaller beverage,
>> >or drink water instead.

>> Gimme a D. Gimme a U. Gimme an H.

>> >Since it's me drinking the coffee, it doesn't matter whether you'd call
>> >it real or not.

>> It can't be coffee as I call it. It must be coffee as you call it.
>> Water of colour. (Did I say that politically correctly?)

>What is coffee as you call it? Espresso? Dark roast?

Standard roast. But you can make it in various strengths of course. If
I had 600 ml of that, I'd be hopping through the room like a kangaroo.
But I guess you can get used to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:32:57 -0500, Sheldon > wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 08:25:15 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:

>>> Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
>>> Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way
>>>

>>My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>>One mug full. I make it strong too.
>>How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

>We each have a 12 oz coffee mug

Sorry, I don't speak Swahili.

===

354.89 ml <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 08:31:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:32:57 -0500, Sheldon > wrote:

>>>My morning *real* coffee is about 400-450 ml.
>>>One mug full. I make it strong too.
>>>How much are you allowed to drink, Bruce?

>>We each have a 12 oz coffee mug

>Sorry, I don't speak Swahili.
>
>===
>
> 354.89 ml <g>

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2020 3:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce"Â* wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:32:57 -0500, Sheldon > wrote:

>> We each have a 12 oz coffee mug

> Sorry, I don't speak Swahili.
>
> ===
>
> Â* 354.89 ml <g>

Of course, 12 _UK_ fluid ounces would be different - 340.956 ml...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 2/17/2020 3:31 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 10:32:57 -0500, Sheldon > wrote:

>> We each have a 12 oz coffee mug

> Sorry, I don't speak Swahili.
>
> ===
>
> 354.89 ml <g>

Of course, 12 _UK_ fluid ounces would be different - 340.956 ml...

===

shhhhh he is in Australia)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>"nutritive sweetener" ROTFL... unbelievable

>>>LOL, and where did you find this complete bullshit from? No link with
>>>your cite. But of course, it's obviously from either the FDA or the
>>>corn lobby.
>>>
>>>If there is any one 'food' item that has made America fat and
>>>diabetic, it's HFCS.

>>hmmm... no link, no citation ... PKB

>Do you really need one? Are you that dense?

that's a sound argument!

it is understandable that people want simple explanations, but if you
are familiar with the research you will understand that it's not simple

there is an association between the availability of HCFS and obesity
rates, but establishing a causal relationship has been elusive

it's pretty likely the increased portions, decreased physical activity,
decreased consumption of fruits and vegetables, and changes in food
availability, especially fast food and ultraprocessed food, have more
to do with increased obesity rates than the replacement of cane sugar
with HCFS

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>hmmm... no link, no citation ... PKB

>>Do you really need one? Are you that dense?

>that's a sound argument!

It is indeed. It's long been established that HFCS has problems, I'm
not the one making any claims that fly in the face of established
wisdom. So why should I provide a cite (of which hundreds can be found
in seconds on google anyway).

>it is understandable that people want simple explanations, but if you
>are familiar with the research you will understand that it's not simple
>
>there is an association between the availability of HCFS and obesity
>rates, but establishing a causal relationship has been elusive
>
>it's pretty likely the increased portions, decreased physical activity,
>decreased consumption of fruits and vegetables, and changes in food
>availability, especially fast food and ultraprocessed food, have more
>to do with increased obesity rates than the replacement of cane sugar
>with HCFS

Yes. Of course. But... where is your cite? Just joking.