Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default High-Fructose Corn Syrup

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:36:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
> >hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
> >plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
> >want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
> served what I described.

Oooooooh, now the 'story' changes. At first she ordered tea and is shocked
when she got sweet iced tea. NOW she orders tea and is told they only have sweet tea and the woman nods ok. She was surprised when she got iced tea
when she was told that's what they have?? Either the customer is stupid or
the person relaying this tale is stupid.

Which is it? She ordered hot tea and got the cold stuff or she nods ok for
the iced tea and then is surprised when a glass of iced sweet tea is set before
her?

Is this story going to change again???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:07:19 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:36:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>> >hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>> >plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>> >want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

>> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
>> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
>> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
>> served what I described.
>>

>Oooooooh, now the 'story' changes. At first she ordered tea and is shocked
>when she got sweet iced tea. NOW she orders tea and is told they only have sweet tea and the woman nods ok. She was surprised when she got iced tea
>when she was told that's what they have?? Either the customer is stupid or
>the person relaying this tale is stupid.
>
>Which is it? She ordered hot tea and got the cold stuff or she nods ok for
>the iced tea and then is surprised when a glass of iced sweet tea is set before
>her?
>
>Is this story going to change again???

You're nuts or you can't read. And why is this such a touchy topic?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:42:43 PM UTC-6, Still Bud wrote:

> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.

True.

> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
> abomination.

You've got to indicate which one you want. If a person doesn't have the
sense to order unsweetened tea and then are served sweet tea they have
nobody to blame for themselves. The server doesn't know what you want
until you ask for it.

Just like coffee. You want cream and sugar with it you've got to ask.
Well, at least you have to ask for cream; sugar and sugar substitutes
are generally already on the table. If it's a to-go order you definitely
have to ask for cream and sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:08:25 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> You're nuts or you can't read. And why is this such a touchy topic?

Why am I nuts?? I read your two versions of this questionable tale. Because
you gave two versions of this tale and you've been called on it?? If you don't
want to be grilled don't post made up bullshit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:13:36 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:42:43 PM UTC-6, Still Bud wrote:
>>
>> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.
>>

>True.
>>
>> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
>> abomination.
>>

>You've got to indicate which one you want. If a person doesn't have the
>sense to order unsweetened tea and then are served sweet tea they have
>nobody to blame for themselves. The server doesn't know what you want
>until you ask for it.
>
>Just like coffee. You want cream and sugar with it you've got to ask.
>Well, at least you have to ask for cream; sugar and sugar substitutes
>are generally already on the table. If it's a to-go order you definitely
>have to ask for cream and sugar.

I rarely drink tea. to me teas taste/smell like pond water. The only
time I drink tea is at a good Chinese restaurant, somehow they know
how to prepare decent tea that goes well with their food.
At home the only sweetener I use is honey, I like honey on berries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:00:52 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:
>>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:07:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>Read this last week and found it interesting:
>>>
>>>"High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener

>>"nutritive sweetener" ROTFL... unbelievable
>>
>>>similar
>>>to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
>>>of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
>>>functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
>>>As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
>>>people believed it must be the cause.
>>>
>>>But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
>>>sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
>>>removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
>>>more expensive."

>>LOL, and where did you find this complete bullshit from? No link with
>>your cite. But of course, it's obviously from either the FDA or the
>>corn lobby.
>>
>>If there is any one 'food' item that has made America fat and
>>diabetic, it's HFCS.

>hmmm... no link, no citation ... PKB

Do you really need one? Are you that dense?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:40:27 -0800, Still Born >
wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:00:52 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>

>>>LOL, and where did you find this complete bullshit from? No link with
>>>your cite. But of course, it's obviously from either the FDA or the
>>>corn lobby.
>>>
>>>If there is any one 'food' item that has made America fat and
>>>diabetic, it's HFCS.

>>hmmm... no link, no citation ... PKB

>Well, it IS (somewhere) on the Net, hidden in the Dark Corner
>that is protected by Big Agra and Big Pharma, and all the other
>kookie consiracy garbage.
>
>Alex Jones, Rush Limberger, and Mike Adams all say so,
>so it MUST be true!!

Here you go, Still Born:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...syrup-is-bad#1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23181629

https://news.usc.edu/44415/high-fruc...d-to-diabetes/

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/research...lling-diabetes

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0823094819.htm

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/high-...pe-2_n_2194173

https://www.healio.com/endocrinology...ose-corn-syrup

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...se-corn-syrup/

You've amply demonstrated extreme lack of intelligence by questioning
long established and well known facts about HFCS, then double down by
playing the 'conspiracy card on top of it all. What a complete ****wit
you are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:45:39 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/14/2020 6:42 PM, Still Bud wrote:
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "

>>> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.
>>>
>>> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
>>> abomination.
>>>

>> Or just ask for a glass of unsweetened iced tea. It's not rocket science.

> Whoosh.

Yoose slip on a banana peel Gruce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:18:29 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:08:25 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> You're nuts or you can't read. And why is this such a touchy topic?
>>

>Why am I nuts?? I read your two versions of this questionable tale. Because
>you gave two versions of this tale and you've been called on it?? If you don't
>want to be grilled don't post made up bullshit.

I didn't make anything up, silly woman.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:13:36 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:42:43 PM UTC-6, Still Bud wrote:
>>
>> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.
>>

>True.
>>
>> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
>> abomination.
>>

>You've got to indicate which one you want. If a person doesn't have the
>sense to order unsweetened tea and then are served sweet tea they have
>nobody to blame for themselves. The server doesn't know what you want
>until you ask for it.

Yes, apparently that's how it works in the US. If you're not American,
you may not be familiar with this. Originally, in less diabetes prone
countries, tea is not sweet and it's hot and it's not served in a
bucket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:53:14 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> There's nothing wrong with differences in local customs, of course.
>>> But that little scene was an indication of where all the diabetes in
>>> the US comes from. Too much of everything that's unhealthy.
>>>

>> I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>> hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>> plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>> want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
> served what I described.
>
> When in Rome do as the Romans do, and all that. I was just surprised.

What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-14 8:20 p.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>>> I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>>> hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>>> plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>>> want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

>> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
>> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
>> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
>> served what I described.
>>
>> When in Rome do as the Romans do, and all that. I was just surprised.
>>

> What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
> time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
> before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists.....

Perhaps you answered your own question:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:20:25 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I call bullshit on "I saw an English woman order tea." If said dunce wanted
>>> hot tea she should have asked for it. It's readily available and I've heard
>>> plenty of people order hot tea in restaurants. AND the choice is yours if you
>>> want sweet or unsweetened tea. All you have to do is indicate which you prefer.

>> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
>> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
>> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
>> served what I described.
>>
>> When in Rome do as the Romans do, and all that. I was just surprised.
>>

>What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
>time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
>before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists.....

I've never been to the US. I saw this and was surprised. Besides,
what's wrong with going to another country and being surprised by
something?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:20:29 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
> time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
> before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists......

The only nincompoop would do this apparently is this 'English woman' and our
own dear Bruce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:21:38 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> I've never been to the US. I saw this and was surprised. Besides,
> what's wrong with going to another country and being surprised by
> something?

Just don't bitch about what you are used to in your home country and you don't
find the same thing as at home when you visit another country. A perfect
example would be for you to visit here and not find a single wooden shoe store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 21:32:04 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:21:38 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I've never been to the US. I saw this and was surprised. Besides,
>> what's wrong with going to another country and being surprised by
>> something?
>>

>Just don't bitch about what you are used to in your home country and you don't
>find the same thing as at home when you visit another country. A perfect
>example would be for you to visit here and not find a single wooden shoe store.

I wasn't bitching, stupid woman. Don't be so easily offended.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 21:29:00 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:20:29 PM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
>> time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
>> before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists.....
>>

>The only nincompoop would do this apparently is this 'English woman' and our
>own dear Bruce.

Hey, Joan. Deal with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:42:45 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> I wasn't bitching, stupid woman. Don't be so easily offended.

Sure you were, now deal with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:09:34 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:42:45 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't bitching, stupid woman. Don't be so easily offended.
>>

>Sure you were, now deal with it.

Have some ice tea, Joan. From a bucket

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:20:25 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "

>>> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
>>> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
>>> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
>>> served what I described.
>>>
>>> When in Rome do as the Romans do, and all that. I was just surprised.
>>>

>> What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
>> time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
>> before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists.....

> I've never been to the US. I saw this and was surprised. Besides,
> what's wrong with going to another country and being surprised by
> something?

Theres nothing wrong with being surprised, but sweet tea is ubiquitous
in the south. It would be hard to overlook any mention of it when
reading about that area of the country, both in terms of its food and its
history, especially in travel planning literature. Its a culturally
significant thing to the area, not just an overly sweet beverage.

I mean, I certainly dont need to know every food thats eaten in the
countries I go to, but at the very least Im going to find out what to
expect, whats commonly eaten, recommended places to dine, what not to
miss, etc., before embarking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 08:02:53 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:20:25 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> What kind of nincompoop travels to another country and doesnt take the
>>> time to learn at least the basics about local customs, culture and cuisine
>>> before landing? And people say that Americans are the worst tourists.....

>> I've never been to the US. I saw this and was surprised. Besides,
>> what's wrong with going to another country and being surprised by
>> something?
>>

>Theres nothing wrong with being surprised, but sweet tea is ubiquitous
>in the south. It would be hard to overlook any mention of it when
>reading about that area of the country, both in terms of its food and its
>history, especially in travel planning literature. Its a culturally
>significant thing to the area, not just an overly sweet beverage.
>
>I mean, I certainly dont need to know every food thats eaten in the
>countries I go to, but at the very least Im going to find out what to
>expect, whats commonly eaten, recommended places to dine, what not to
>miss, etc., before embarking.

But I wasn't going anywhere. I was just watching TV. And the female
reporter was there to make an item about the death penalty. This was
just some footage showing the local atmosphere of the death penalty
capital of Texas (Huntsville or Hurtsville or something).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 08:02:53 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:20:25 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> I've never been to the US. I saw this and was surprised. Besides,
>>> what's wrong with going to another country and being surprised by
>>> something?
>>>

>> Theres nothing wrong with being surprised, but sweet tea is ubiquitous
>> in the south. It would be hard to overlook any mention of it when
>> reading about that area of the country, both in terms of its food and its
>> history, especially in travel planning literature. Its a culturally
>> significant thing to the area, not just an overly sweet beverage.
>>
>> I mean, I certainly dont need to know every food thats eaten in the
>> countries I go to, but at the very least Im going to find out what to
>> expect, whats commonly eaten, recommended places to dine, what not to
>> miss, etc., before embarking.

> But I wasn't going anywhere. I was just watching TV. And the female
> reporter was there to make an item about the death penalty. This was
> just some footage showing the local atmosphere of the death penalty
> capital of Texas (Huntsville or Hurtsville or something).

That it was a reporter makes it all the more incredible. Or perhaps,
uncredible. If she didnt know about the tea beforehand, then shes a
terrible investigator that didnt do her homework about the very area she
was sent to report on. If she did, then she played innocent and used her
dislike of it (and the local atmosphere) to bolster her negative slant on
the local culture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:03:30 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>>
>> But I wasn't going anywhere. I was just watching TV. And the female
>> reporter was there to make an item about the death penalty. This was
>> just some footage showing the local atmosphere of the death penalty
>> capital of Texas (Huntsville or Hurtsville or something).
>>

>That it was a reporter makes it all the more incredible. Or perhaps,
>uncredible. If she didnt know about the tea beforehand, then shes a
>terrible investigator that didnt do her homework about the very area she
>was sent to report on. If she did, then she played innocent and used her
>dislike of it (and the local atmosphere) to bolster her negative slant on
>the local culture.

She wasn't there for the "tea". She asked a few locals how they felt
about people being killed in their town on a monthly basis. The "tea"
was just a detail. I noticed it and thought it was funny. You order a
tea and they give you a bucket of sweet stuff with a straw. Oh, those
little cultural differences!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:54:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:13:36 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 5:42:43 PM UTC-6, Still Bud wrote:
> >>
> >> Ask for a CUP of tea, and you will almost certainly get hot tea.
> >>

> >True.
> >>
> >> Ask for a GLASS of tea and you'll get that sickly sweet southern
> >> abomination.
> >>

> >You've got to indicate which one you want. If a person doesn't have the
> >sense to order unsweetened tea and then are served sweet tea they have
> >nobody to blame for themselves. The server doesn't know what you want
> >until you ask for it.

> Yes, apparently that's how it works in the US. If you're not American,
> you may not be familiar with this. Originally, in less diabetes prone
> countries, tea is not sweet and it's hot and it's not served in a
> bucket.

Vietnamese iced tea is a counter example. Except for the bucket, of course.

I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
estimate the volume of the container?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Read this last week and found it interesting:
>
> "High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a nutritive sweetener similar
> to table sugar (sucrose). It's used by the food industry because
> of it's many qualities, including stability, broad
> functionability and abundant raw material in the (USA) Midwest.
> As a rise in obesity coincided with it's introduction, some
> people believed it must be the cause.
>
> But HFCS was soon shown to have no means of causing obesity that
> sucrose doesn't have, and their calories are the same. If it were
> removed from the market, consumers would simply find products
> more expensive."

I've seen that it has been linked to heart disease in diabetics. I don't
have a link though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-15 3:02 a.m., Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
>
> I mean, I certainly dont need to know every food thats eaten in the
> countries I go to, but at the very least Im going to find out what to
> expect, whats commonly eaten, recommended places to dine, what not to
> miss, etc., before embarking.

It can be misleading to read up in advance. When I was getting ready to
go to Denmark about 20 years ago I read up about the foods and was lead
to believe that they ate a lot of fish and meat and potatoes. That
turned out to be true, expect that it was all high quality stuff and
very well prepared. They also had a lot of good quality dairy products
and outstanding pastries.

My mother had warned me about smoked eel. She did not like it at all.
When I took some friends to lunch I asked them to order some traditional
Danish food for me. They ordered smoked eel smorsbrot. I cringed at the
thought but gave it an honest try. Holy cow. It was delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-15 6:03 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:54:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

>> Yes, apparently that's how it works in the US. If you're not American,
>> you may not be familiar with this. Originally, in less diabetes prone
>> countries, tea is not sweet and it's hot and it's not served in a
>> bucket.

> Vietnamese iced tea is a counter example. Except for the bucket, of course.
>
> I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
> estimate the volume of the container?

Interesting that Brucie is so fixated on the sugar in the American
diet.Some cultures use a lot of sugar in their cooking. My wife tries to
avoid sugar and carbs and does not like to have Thai food too often
because so many of the dishes have sugar in them. Then there is
Vietnamese coffee. I had that a couple times. Great flavour, but the
sweetened condensed milk makes it about 50 times sweeter than I can handle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

I like green tea. Always hot and non-sweetened.
My favorite tea is broccoli tea! Also hot and non-sweetened.
Not only is it very tasty but also contains all the
nutrients that you got out of the broccoli.

A co-worker always drank Lipton tea, hot and with
milk and sugar. I tasted it once and was not happy.

Ice tea with a bit of sugar is good but I've probably only
had maybe a dozen glasses in all my life. Not something
that I ever think to ask for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> A hot cup of tea would likely have been some hot water sloshed into a
> thick, cold cup, with a teabag set on the saucer.

That's a good point. I always pre-heat my thick, cold mug with
hot water, then dump that out and add the tea.

I do the pre-heat mug for coffee too in the morning.

Especially in the winter. I keep my place fairly cold. I always
turn off the heat when I go to bed at night. I like sleeping
under a ton of blankets. Nice and cozy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:03:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:54:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:13:36 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >True.

>> >You've got to indicate which one you want. If a person doesn't have the
>> >sense to order unsweetened tea and then are served sweet tea they have
>> >nobody to blame for themselves. The server doesn't know what you want
>> >until you ask for it.

>> Yes, apparently that's how it works in the US. If you're not American,
>> you may not be familiar with this. Originally, in less diabetes prone
>> countries, tea is not sweet and it's hot and it's not served in a
>> bucket.

>Vietnamese iced tea is a counter example. Except for the bucket, of course.
>
>I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
>estimate the volume of the container?

Half a litre/500 ml maybe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-15 11:42 a.m., Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

> I like green tea. Always hot and non-sweetened.
> My favorite tea is broccoli tea! Also hot and non-sweetened.
> Not only is it very tasty but also contains all the
> nutrients that you got out of the broccoli.

Green tea is pretty good. There are a lot of very tasty Asian teas.
I have to saw that I almost gagged at the suggestion of broccoli tea. It
must be a hell of a lot better than I could possibly imagine it to be.

> A co-worker always drank Lipton tea, hot and with
> milk and sugar. I tasted it once and was not happy.

When I was going to university I had a summer job in an allow smelting
furnace. That was an incredibly hot place place to work. We had to wear
a lot of protective clothing. I would go in on a hot summer job and put
on long underwear (uppers and lowers), jeans or heavy work pants and
work shirt, leather leggings and a wool jacket... to keep the heat out.
By the end of the shirt my shirt and pants would be salt stained, as was
my wool jacket after the first week. I found that the only think that
quenched my thirst was clear, hot tea.

> Ice tea with a bit of sugar is good but I've probably only
> had maybe a dozen glasses in all my life. Not something
> that I ever think to ask for.

Drinking hot tea and coffee black, I can tolerate only small amounts of
sugar in ice tea. I prefer it without any. I don't know how people can
drink that stuff in cans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:52:09 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:03:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:54:27 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:13:36 -0800 (PST), "

> >> Yes, apparently that's how it works in the US. If you're not American,
> >> you may not be familiar with this. Originally, in less diabetes prone
> >> countries, tea is not sweet and it's hot and it's not served in a
> >> bucket.

> >Vietnamese iced tea is a counter example. Except for the bucket, of course.
> >
> >I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
> >estimate the volume of the container?

> Half a litre/500 ml maybe.

Shit, that's not a bucket. You can get a liter of sweetened beverage
at some places.

My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 10:12:57 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:52:09 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:03:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Vietnamese iced tea is a counter example. Except for the bucket, of course.
>> >
>> >I'd be interested to know exactly what you meant by "bucket". Can you
>> >estimate the volume of the container?

>> Half a litre/500 ml maybe.

>Shit, that's not a bucket. You can get a liter of sweetened beverage
>at some places.

And free refills! This is really very bad for people.

>My morning cup of coffee is almost 600 ml.

Then it's probably not what I'd call coffee Strong tea at most.
Nobody drinks 600 ml of coffee in one session. Not real coffee, no way

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2020 11:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> We also drink Asian tea which is hot and non-sweetened.

> I like green tea. Always hot and non-sweetened.
> My favorite tea is broccoli tea! Also hot and non-sweetened.
> Not only is it very tasty but also contains all the
> nutrients that you got out of the broccoli.
>
> A co-worker always drank Lipton tea, hot and with
> milk and sugar. I tasted it once and was not happy.
>
> Ice tea with a bit of sugar is good but I've probably only
> had maybe a dozen glasses in all my life. Not something
> that I ever think to ask for.

I grew up on Lipton. Years ago I discovered using loose tea how much
better it can be. Many teas to choose from too. I have a cup with
breakfast, sometimes another later in the morning.

I know I've mentioned teatrader.com before and have been buying from
them for many years.

I do make iced once in a while. With a little sugar and lemon it is
much less calories than soda and still refreshing, as is plain water I
usually have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-15 1:56 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I grew up on Lipton.* Years ago I discovered using loose tea how much
> better it can be.* Many teas to choose from too. I have a cup with
> breakfast, sometimes another later in the morning.
>
> I know I've mentioned teatrader.com before and have been buying from
> them for many years.
>
> I do make iced once in a while.* With a little sugar and lemon it is
> much less calories than soda and still refreshing, as is plain water I
> usually have.

Many years ago when I was at uni, I used to buy my tea from an
old-fashioned grocer nearby. Mr Pollard must have been about 80 and was
always dressed in a dark grey suit, stiff collar and tie and a big white
apron. I went to buy some tea to take home for my parents and he asked
me where they lived. On learning that I came from Suffolk, he refused to
sell me any as the water in that area was extremely hard. His teas were
chosen specifically for the very soft water of the areas around the
Pennine Hills.
The water in Calgary is somewhat hard and I wonder if Tea Trader's teas
take that into account. I know where the shop is but I don't drink
enough tea to make a special trip.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:39:11 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:57:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:49:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:21:07 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> >> Don't you have a place with decent espresso's, cappuccinos and all
> >> that?

> >I could go to Starbucks but I won't do that on general principle.

> Nothing that's run by Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese etc?

I don't got no problem with the folks that run Starbucks - unless, of course, they're white people. I don't trust those guys!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 2:08:25 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:07:19 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:36:26 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 14:01:48 -0800 (PST), "

> >> Ok, to make a short story long... The English women said to the
> >> server: "Do you have tea." The server replied: "Only sweet tea". The
> >> English woman nodded as in "ok, if that's the only option" and got
> >> served what I described.
> >>

> >Oooooooh, now the 'story' changes. At first she ordered tea and is shocked
> >when she got sweet iced tea. NOW she orders tea and is told they only have sweet tea and the woman nods ok. She was surprised when she got iced tea
> >when she was told that's what they have?? Either the customer is stupid or
> >the person relaying this tale is stupid.
> >
> >Which is it? She ordered hot tea and got the cold stuff or she nods ok for
> >the iced tea and then is surprised when a glass of iced sweet tea is set before
> >her?
> >
> >Is this story going to change again???

> You're nuts or you can't read. And why is this such a touchy topic?

Tea in a bucket? Sounds like a winner!

http://www.manuretea.com/wp-content/...om-300x300.jpg