Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lasagna for dinner

That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.

This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.

I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.

Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.

Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2020 1:43 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
> because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate
> my own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>
> This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge
> and mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.

I do wish you'd stop hinting around about this person who eats food and
opens jars when you're not looking. Apparently it's not so important
that you would ask the person to buy their own food.

> I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid
> out. Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst.
> grated and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added
> black pepper. Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.

Parsley isn't a key ingredient in lasagna.

> Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated
> cheeses on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it
> through because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used
> the American Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>
> Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

Good! I've made microwaved lasagna (from scratch) in the past and it
turned out just fine. There needs to be enough liquid in the pan for
the noodles (I've never tried no-boil lasagna noodles) to cook. Usually
that comes from the canned diced tomatoes and the addition of a little
water. In your case, four already opened jars of sauce. I don't use
ricotta cheese in lasagna (cottage cheese). Spinach is a nice addition.
I buy bags of shredded Italian blend and small tubs of grated Parm for
the cheese toppings.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:43:57 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
> because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
> own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>
> This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
> mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.
>
> I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
> Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
> and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
> Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>
> Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
> on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
> because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
> Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>
> Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

:-)

I have my Mother's Lasagna Recipe, but I've never made it. Takes a whole day just to make The Sauce she told me. She used to make it for my Brother's Birthday, Dec 21st I think.

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and More!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:43:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
>because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
>own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>
>This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
>mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.
>
>I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
>Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
>and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
>Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>
>Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
>on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
>because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
>Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>
>Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

good for you, Julie. I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
sittings.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
> become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
> noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
> sittings.
> Janet US

I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
for one on a whim.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:23:53 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
>> become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
>> noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
>> sittings.
>> Janet US
>>

>I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
>convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
>for one on a whim.
>Graham

good to know. Thx
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12:39 13 Feb 2020, John Kuthe > wrote:

> On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:43:57 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
>> because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to
>> grate my own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of
>> sautéed veggies.
>>
>> This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge
>> and mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four
>> jars.
>>
>> I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid
>> out.

>> Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst.
>> grated and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added
>> black pepper. Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>>
>> Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated
>> cheeses on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it
>> through because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used
>> the American Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>>
>> Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

> :-)
>
> I have my Mother's Lasagna Recipe, but I've never made it. Takes a whole
> day just to make The Sauce she told me.

A whole day? That's devotion!

> She used to make it for my Brother's Birthday, Dec 21st I think.
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and More!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 04:39:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>I have my Mother's Lasagna Recipe, but I've never made it.
>Takes a whole day just to make The Sauce she told me.

Were she wiser she'd prepare a 24 quart pot of sauce when she had
nothing else to do on a rainy day, then she could freeze it in
containers for lasagna, pasta, etc.
Whenever I prepare tomato sauce I prepare a large potful, no more time
or effort than preparing a small potful.

And it doesn't take a whole day to prepare tomato sauce. perhaps 3-4
hours and most time is for prepping ingredients... tomato sauce only
needs an hour or less to simmer as for lasagna/pizza it cooks more in
the oven.... cooked too long tomato sauce caramelizes, turns brown and
tastes burnt. The most laborious part of making tomato sauce is in
opening several #10 cans of crushed tomatoes and at the end ladling it
into freezer containers... no need to lift large heavy pots that's
what ladles are for.

If one doesn't feel like peeling, and dicing onions/garlic there's
always dehy... I use dehy bell pepper too, diced red and green... dehy
costs less than fresh as there is zero waste. I always keep dehy
veggies on hand, especially bell pepper. as there is a lot of wasted
weight when prepping, plus often one thinks they have bell peppers in
the fridge but when they look they have melted into slime as they were
bought a month ago. If you're not going to use bell peppers for a
while they can be diced and frozen or sauted in olive oil and kept in
the fridge. When bell peppers are on sale in summer for 79¢/lb I'll
buy a peck and prep them for later use. Sauted they'll keep six
months in the fridge... excellent in all sorts of dishes, omelets, on
garlic bread, Eyetalian hero sammiches.

The most important part of cooking is not the recipe...
it's the method... any monkey can follow a recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:12:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:43:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
>>because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
>>own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>>
>>This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
>>mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.
>>
>>I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
>>Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
>>and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
>>Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>>
>>Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
>>on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
>>because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
>>Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>>
>>Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

>good for you, Julie. I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
>become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
>noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
>sittings.
>Janet US

Lasagna freezes very well... it's actually very silly to prepare
lasagna for one meal. Lasagna will also keep well in the fridge for
3-4 days. The only drawback to preparing extra lasagna is in
refraining from noshing on it... good lasagna really needs no
reheating. When I prepare lasagna I use three pounds of noodles.
One of my lasagnas with 3 lbs of noodles ready for the oven; with tons
of cheese/riccotta/mozz/parm, saw-seege, sauce... mangia!
https://postimg.cc/5Q4HB6wD
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-13 10:23 a.m., graham wrote:
> On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Â* I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
>> become a way to use leftovers.Â* The only thing I have to cook is the
>> noodles.Â* A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
>> sittings.
>> Janet US
>>

> I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
> convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
> for one on a whim.

I have been using uncooked regular lasagna pasta for years, I thin the
sauce a little and give it about 10 minutes longer in the oven with the
foil covering it. They have always turned out fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:47:58 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:23:53 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>>On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
>>> become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
>>> noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
>>> sittings.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
>>convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
>>for one on a whim.
>>Graham

>good to know. Thx
>Janet US

Burling lasagna noodles is the easiest part... what about all the
other ingredients... or is it just no-cook noodles with ketchup and
chese sprinkled from the green can?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/20 4:39 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:43:57 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
>> because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
>> own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>>
>> This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
>> mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.
>>
>> I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
>> Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
>> and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
>> Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>>
>> Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
>> on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
>> because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
>> Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>>
>> Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

> :-)
>
> I have my Mother's Lasagna Recipe, but I've never made it. Takes a whole day just to make The Sauce she told me. She used to make it for my Brother's Birthday, Dec 21st I think.
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and More!

you don't know when your brothers birthday is?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:51:15 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:12:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:43:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>>That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
>>>because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
>>>own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>>>
>>>This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
>>>mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.
>>>
>>>I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
>>>Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
>>>and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
>>>Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>>>
>>>Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
>>>on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
>>>because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
>>>Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>>>
>>>Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

>>good for you, Julie. I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
>>become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
>>noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
>>sittings.
>>Janet US

>Lasagna freezes very well... it's actually very silly to prepare
>lasagna for one meal. Lasagna will also keep well in the fridge for
>3-4 days. The only drawback to preparing extra lasagna is in
>refraining from noshing on it... good lasagna really needs no
>reheating. When I prepare lasagna I use three pounds of noodles.
>One of my lasagnas with 3 lbs of noodles ready for the oven; with tons
>of cheese/riccotta/mozz/parm, saw-seege, sauce... mangia!

https://postimg.cc/5Q4HB6wD

I can't get lasagna down more than once a year. I've tried freezing
and it ends up languishing in the freezer. What I make for us is just
fine "for us"
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:43:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
>>because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate
>>my
>>own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.
>>
>>This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
>>mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.
>>
>>I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
>>Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
>>and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black
>>pepper.
>>Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.
>>
>>Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated
>>cheeses
>>on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
>>because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
>>Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.
>>
>>Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

> good for you, Julie. I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
> become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
> noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
> sittings.
> Janet US

My gardener really seems to like it. Only two servings left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2020 6:12 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:51:15 -0500, wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 08:12:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:43:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> good for you, Julie. I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
>>> become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
>>> noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
>>> sittings.
>>> Janet US

>> Lasagna freezes very well... it's actually very silly to prepare
>> lasagna for one meal. Lasagna will also keep well in the fridge for
>> 3-4 days. The only drawback to preparing extra lasagna is in
>> refraining from noshing on it... good lasagna really needs no
>> reheating. When I prepare lasagna I use three pounds of noodles.
>> One of my lasagnas with 3 lbs of noodles ready for the oven; with tons
>> of cheese/riccotta/mozz/parm, saw-seege, sauce... mangia!

https://postimg.cc/5Q4HB6wD

> I can't get lasagna down more than once a year. I've tried freezing
> and it ends up languishing in the freezer. What I make for us is just
> fine "for us"
> Janet US

I used to make a 13X9 pan of lasagna and freeze portions to take to work
for lunch. It's not something I want to eat more than a couple of times
a year anymore. Janet, I'll consider your loaf pan suggestion.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I used to make a 13X9 pan of lasagna and freeze portions to take to work
> for lunch. It's not something I want to eat more than a couple of times
> a year anymore. Janet, I'll consider your loaf pan suggestion.

When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
forget the garlic bread).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2020 9:10 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> I used to make a 13X9 pan of lasagna and freeze portions to take to work
>> for lunch. It's not something I want to eat more than a couple of times
>> a year anymore. Janet, I'll consider your loaf pan suggestion.

> When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
> noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
> 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
> future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
> and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
> forget the garlic bread).

Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
day for a week.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:08:45 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > I used to make a 13X9 pan of lasagna and freeze portions to take to work
> > for lunch. It's not something I want to eat more than a couple of times
> > a year anymore. Janet, I'll consider your loaf pan suggestion.

> When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
> noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
> 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
> future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
> and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
> forget the garlic bread).

You make a salad to go with your snacks? Wow.

My snacks are, like, an apple or a small handful of pistachios.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
> > noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
> > 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
> > future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
> > and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
> > forget the garlic bread).
> >

> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
> day for a week.

Just personal differences. I do love the stuff and only seem to
make every few years. When I do, I definitely will run through
that 9X13 dish *happily* within several days.

And in between times, as I've said before, the Stouffer's frozen
"Meat Lovers Lasagna" is pretty darn good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2020 10:06 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
>>> noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
>>> 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
>>> future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
>>> and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
>>> forget the garlic bread).
>>>

>> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
>> day for a week.

> Just personal differences. I do love the stuff and only seem to
> make every few years. When I do, I definitely will run through
> that 9X13 dish *happily* within several days.
>
> And in between times, as I've said before, the Stouffer's frozen
> "Meat Lovers Lasagna" is pretty darn good.

Yep, I like the Stouffer's. I buy it a couple of times a year.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> You make a salad to go with your snacks? Wow.

Only if I have a bit of leftover salad and only with pasta.

> My snacks are, like, an apple or a small handful of pistachios.

I had a good evening snack the other night:
A mix of salted dry roasted peanuts, some raisins and some
fresh blueberries. Not much but it was good.

Ps - an apple is a joke snack to me.
Saw a fuuny episode of 2 1/2 men once.
Jake was hungry so his father suggested eating an apple.
Jake responded, "yeah right, dad" lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Yep, I like the Stouffer's. I buy it a couple of times a year.

On sale this week at Food Lion for only $2.oo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:54:44 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:08:45 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> > I used to make a 13X9 pan of lasagna and freeze portions to take to work
>> > for lunch. It's not something I want to eat more than a couple of times
>> > a year anymore. Janet, I'll consider your loaf pan suggestion.

>> When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
>> noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
>> 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
>> future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
>> and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
>> forget the garlic bread).

>You make a salad to go with your snacks? Wow.

I don't consider lasagna a snack. it's a full meal that goes well with
a salad on the side.

>My snacks are, like, an apple or a small handful of pistachios.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Diced apple and pistachio nuts go very well in a tossed salad... all
kinds of nuts go well in a tossed salad... sunflower. pumpkin, sesame
seeds too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:06:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
>> > noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
>> > 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
>> > future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
>> > and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
>> > forget the garlic bread).
>> >

>> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
>> day for a week.

>Just personal differences. I do love the stuff and only seem to
>make every few years. When I do, I definitely will run through
>that 9X13 dish *happily* within several days.
>
>And in between times, as I've said before, the Stouffer's frozen
>"Meat Lovers Lasagna" is pretty darn good.

Woof woof:
"tomato puree (water, tomato paste), blanched lasagna (water,
semolina), water, cooked Italian sausage (pork, water, spices, salt,
sugar, flavorings), low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
(pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), cooked
beef, pepperoni (pork, beef, salt, contains 2% or less of water,
dextrose, spices, lactic acid starter culture, oleoresin of paprika,
garlic powder, sodium nitrite, bha, bht, citric acid (to protect
flavor)), cooked pork, 2% or less of modified cornstarch, bleached
wheat flour, dehydrated onions, sugar, spices, parmesan cheese
(cultured milk, salt, enzymes), salt, potassium chloride, autolyzed
yeast extract, soy sauce (water, soybeans, wheat, salt), dehydrated
garlic, dextrose, soybean oil"

"to protect flavor" They should do stand-up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:17:07 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> You make a salad to go with your snacks? Wow.

>Only if I have a bit of leftover salad and only with pasta.
>
>> My snacks are, like, an apple or a small handful of pistachios.

>I had a good evening snack the other night:
>A mix of salted dry roasted peanuts, some raisins and some
>fresh blueberries. Not much but it was good.
>
>Ps - an apple is a joke snack to me.
>Saw a fuuny episode of 2 1/2 men once.
>Jake was hungry so his father suggested eating an apple.
>Jake responded, "yeah right, dad" lol

That's some stunning dialogue writing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2020 10:18 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Yep, I like the Stouffer's. I buy it a couple of times a year.

> On sale this week at Food Lion for only $2.oo.

Thanks, but I'm not in the market for lasagna at the moment.

JanetB asking about leftover chicken made me think of this...

Southwest Chicken Lasagna. Calls for some leftover rotisserie chicken,
shredded. No lasagna noodles. Layered corn tortillas. Cheeses, yep.
Mild chili's and spices, yep.

Something like this:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/88...icken-lasagna/

It sounds like a good way to use up some leftover chicken.

Then again, the chicken alfredo with noodles sounds fine, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:00:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:06:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >jmcquown wrote:

> >> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
> >> day for a week.

> >Just personal differences. I do love the stuff and only seem to
> >make every few years. When I do, I definitely will run through
> >that 9X13 dish *happily* within several days.
> >
> >And in between times, as I've said before, the Stouffer's frozen
> >"Meat Lovers Lasagna" is pretty darn good.

> Woof woof:
> "tomato puree (water, tomato paste), blanched lasagna (water,
> semolina), water, cooked Italian sausage (pork, water, spices, salt,
> sugar, flavorings), low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
> (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), cooked
> beef, pepperoni (pork, beef, salt, contains 2% or less of water,
> dextrose, spices, lactic acid starter culture, oleoresin of paprika,
> garlic powder, sodium nitrite, bha, bht, citric acid (to protect
> flavor)), cooked pork, 2% or less of modified cornstarch, bleached
> wheat flour, dehydrated onions, sugar, spices, parmesan cheese
> (cultured milk, salt, enzymes), salt, potassium chloride, autolyzed
> yeast extract, soy sauce (water, soybeans, wheat, salt), dehydrated
> garlic, dextrose, soybean oil"
>
> "to protect flavor" They should do stand-up.

What's your problem with citric acid? It's an antioxidant for the
fat in the pepperoni. You should be more concerned about the BHA
and BHT.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:47:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 12:00:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:06:20 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> >Just personal differences. I do love the stuff and only seem to
>> >make every few years. When I do, I definitely will run through
>> >that 9X13 dish *happily* within several days.
>> >
>> >And in between times, as I've said before, the Stouffer's frozen
>> >"Meat Lovers Lasagna" is pretty darn good.

>> Woof woof:
>> "tomato puree (water, tomato paste), blanched lasagna (water,
>> semolina), water, cooked Italian sausage (pork, water, spices, salt,
>> sugar, flavorings), low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
>> (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), cooked
>> beef, pepperoni (pork, beef, salt, contains 2% or less of water,
>> dextrose, spices, lactic acid starter culture, oleoresin of paprika,
>> garlic powder, sodium nitrite, bha, bht, citric acid (to protect
>> flavor)), cooked pork, 2% or less of modified cornstarch, bleached
>> wheat flour, dehydrated onions, sugar, spices, parmesan cheese
>> (cultured milk, salt, enzymes), salt, potassium chloride, autolyzed
>> yeast extract, soy sauce (water, soybeans, wheat, salt), dehydrated
>> garlic, dextrose, soybean oil"
>>
>> "to protect flavor" They should do stand-up.

>What's your problem with citric acid? It's an antioxidant for the
>fat in the pepperoni. You should be more concerned about the BHA
>and BHT.

I wasn't commenting on the citric acid, but on "to protect flavor".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:18:16 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:47:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Woof woof:
> >> "tomato puree (water, tomato paste), blanched lasagna (water,
> >> semolina), water, cooked Italian sausage (pork, water, spices, salt,
> >> sugar, flavorings), low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
> >> (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), cooked
> >> beef, pepperoni (pork, beef, salt, contains 2% or less of water,
> >> dextrose, spices, lactic acid starter culture, oleoresin of paprika,
> >> garlic powder, sodium nitrite, bha, bht, citric acid (to protect
> >> flavor)), cooked pork, 2% or less of modified cornstarch, bleached
> >> wheat flour, dehydrated onions, sugar, spices, parmesan cheese
> >> (cultured milk, salt, enzymes), salt, potassium chloride, autolyzed
> >> yeast extract, soy sauce (water, soybeans, wheat, salt), dehydrated
> >> garlic, dextrose, soybean oil"
> >>
> >> "to protect flavor" They should do stand-up.

> >What's your problem with citric acid? It's an antioxidant for the
> >fat in the pepperoni. You should be more concerned about the BHA
> >and BHT.

> I wasn't commenting on the citric acid, but on "to protect flavor".

If the fat goes rancid, the flavor isn't very good.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:21:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 1:18:16 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:47:43 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >What's your problem with citric acid? It's an antioxidant for the
>> >fat in the pepperoni. You should be more concerned about the BHA
>> >and BHT.

>> I wasn't commenting on the citric acid, but on "to protect flavor".

>If the fat goes rancid, the flavor isn't very good.

First they create a flavour using a science project and then they need
more science to protect that flavour. And they end up further and
further away from real food.

But Stouffers is very popular in rec.food.COOKING. It might be the
most mentioned brand name after Walmart
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 12:08:42 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/14/2020 10:18 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> Yep, I like the Stouffer's. I buy it a couple of times a year.

>> On sale this week at Food Lion for only $2.oo.
>>

>Thanks, but I'm not in the market for lasagna at the moment.
>
>JanetB asking about leftover chicken made me think of this...
>
>Southwest Chicken Lasagna. Calls for some leftover rotisserie chicken,
>shredded. No lasagna noodles. Layered corn tortillas. Cheeses, yep.
>Mild chili's and spices, yep.
>
>Something like this:
>
>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/88...icken-lasagna/
>
>It sounds like a good way to use up some leftover chicken.
>
>Then again, the chicken alfredo with noodles sounds fine, too.
>
>Jill

I make that 'lasagna' when I'm too lazy to make a pan of enchiladas.
Same ingredients, same everything, just laid out in a pan. Works
especially well in the summer on the grill.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stouffers should not be mentioned in a cooking site.
Yes I have had it. F that. Good if starving.
Lasagna noodles
Homeade meat red sauce with garden red green sweet peppers, garden garlic... you all know...
2 lb mozz
2 lb at least riccato
I like shrooms

I top with cooper. I like the salt.

Going to try a white soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:35:28 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> Stouffers should not be mentioned in a cooking site.
> Yes I have had it. F that. Good if starving.

I'll admit I'd probably rather have a quesadilla than Stouffer's
lasagne, but for some people it appears to be palatable. Not
everybody has the same sensory apparatus.

Incidentally, I use bought salsa:

<https://www.target.com/p/garden-fresh-gourmet-jack-s-special-medium-hot-salsa-16oz/-/A-14917419>

I have to add a little fresh lime juice, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/14/2020 9:10 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> I used to make a 13X9 pan of lasagna and freeze portions to take to work
>>> for lunch. It's not something I want to eat more than a couple of times
>>> a year anymore. Janet, I'll consider your loaf pan suggestion.

>> When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
>> noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
>> 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
>> future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
>> and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
>> forget the garlic bread).
>>

> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
> day for a week.

For me it depends on what it is. I ate lasagna for three days. I'm ready for
something else now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
>> > noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
>> > 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
>> > future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
>> > and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
>> > forget the garlic bread).
>> >

>> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
>> day for a week.

> Just personal differences. I do love the stuff and only seem to
> make every few years. When I do, I definitely will run through
> that 9X13 dish *happily* within several days.
>
> And in between times, as I've said before, the Stouffer's frozen
> "Meat Lovers Lasagna" is pretty darn good.

I've bought that several times. $1.88 at Winco. Someone else always eats it
before I get to it. That's fine. I don't really like meat in lasagna.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 12:08:42 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> On sale this week at Food Lion for only $2.oo.
>>>

>>Thanks, but I'm not in the market for lasagna at the moment.
>>
>>JanetB asking about leftover chicken made me think of this...
>>
>>Southwest Chicken Lasagna. Calls for some leftover rotisserie chicken,
>>shredded. No lasagna noodles. Layered corn tortillas. Cheeses, yep.
>>Mild chili's and spices, yep.
>>
>>Something like this:
>>
>>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/88...icken-lasagna/
>>
>>It sounds like a good way to use up some leftover chicken.
>>
>>Then again, the chicken alfredo with noodles sounds fine, too.
>>
>>Jill

> I make that 'lasagna' when I'm too lazy to make a pan of enchiladas.
> Same ingredients, same everything, just laid out in a pan. Works
> especially well in the summer on the grill.
> Janet US

Also known as Sonoran enchiladas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> You make a salad to go with your snacks? Wow.

> Only if I have a bit of leftover salad and only with pasta.
>
>> My snacks are, like, an apple or a small handful of pistachios.

> I had a good evening snack the other night:
> A mix of salted dry roasted peanuts, some raisins and some
> fresh blueberries. Not much but it was good.
>
> Ps - an apple is a joke snack to me.
> Saw a fuuny episode of 2 1/2 men once.
> Jake was hungry so his father suggested eating an apple.
> Jake responded, "yeah right, dad" lol

When I was a kid, our snacks were very limited. Usually an apple or a
carrot. Sometimes 1/4 cup of pretzels. Popcorn before bed almost every
night. Sometimes my dad would bring candy or Hostess stuff from the outlet
but only when my mom wasn't home. Ha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:16:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> When I do homemade lasagna, using a cooked pound of lasagna
>>> noodles and hopefully homemade sauce, I always end up with a full
>>> 9X13 pan plus a full bread pan. I'll freeze the bread pan for
>>> future but will eat all the 9X13 lasagna that week. Many meals
>>> and snacks (always with a salad on the same plate and don't
>>> forget the garlic bread).
>>>

>> Hey, I don't mind leftovers but I don't want to eat the same thing every
>> day for a week.

>For me it depends on what it is. I ate lasagna for three days. I'm ready for
>something else now.

A large lasagna needn't be eaten every day, that's why we have
freezers... and lasagna can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days
as well, certainly a lot better than making a run to a fast food
joint... everything at fast food joints is left over trash.
Often plans change and there's no time to cook so that left over
lasagna in the fridge/freezer starts to look like the perfect meal.
Two minutes in the nuker and it's hot... I have no problem eating
lasagna cold either. The way I see it those who balk at eating left
overs are spoiled brats who will never become adults. I have never
considered eating left overs an adersity, something that was good
yesterday will only be better today.