Old 13-02-2020, 06:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lasagna for dinner

That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate my
own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.

This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge and
mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.

I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid out.
Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst. grated
and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added black pepper.
Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.

Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated cheeses
on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it through
because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used the American
Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.

Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

Old 13-02-2020, 12:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/2020 1:43 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
That's twice so far this year! I used to make it once or twice a year
because it was such a pain but this way is pretty quick. I used to grate
my own cheese, make my sauce from scratch and add lots of sautéed veggies.

This time I gathered the four asst. jars of red sauce from the fridge
and mixed them together. And no, I'm not the one who opened all four jars.

I do wish you'd stop hinting around about this person who eats food and
opens jars when you're not looking. Apparently it's not so important
that you would ask the person to buy their own food.

I nuked a package of frozen chopped spinach then squeezed the liquid
out. Added this to a large container of ricotta cheese, then added asst.
grated and shredded Italian cheeses until it looked right. Also added
black pepper. Forgot the parsley but it seems fine without.

Parsley isn't a key ingredient in lasagna.

Layered it in a baking dish, adding a bit of the shredded and grated
cheeses on top. Then I nuked it! Didn't take long. only had to heat it
through because there was no egg and everything else was cooked. Used
the American Beauty lasagna noodles. I don't like the no boil.

Cheap, filling, tasty and easy!

Good! I've made microwaved lasagna (from scratch) in the past and it
turned out just fine. There needs to be enough liquid in the pan for
the noodles (I've never tried no-boil lasagna noodles) to cook. Usually
that comes from the canned diced tomatoes and the addition of a little
water. In your case, four already opened jars of sauce. I don't use
ricotta cheese in lasagna (cottage cheese). Spinach is a nice addition.
I buy bags of shredded Italian blend and small tubs of grated Parm for
the cheese toppings.

Jill
Old 13-02-2020, 12:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 12:43:57 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

:-)

I have my Mother's Lasagna Recipe, but I've never made it. Takes a whole day just to make The Sauce she told me. She used to make it for my Brother's Birthday, Dec 21st I think.

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and More!
Old 13-02-2020, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 22:43:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

[...]

good for you, Julie. I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
sittings.
Janet US
Old 13-02-2020, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
sittings.
Janet US

I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
for one on a whim.
Graham

Old 13-02-2020, 04:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
sittings.
Janet US

I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
for one on a whim.
Graham

good to know. Thx
Janet US
Old 13-02-2020, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12:39 13 Feb 2020, John Kuthe wrote:

[...]

A whole day? That's devotion!

Old 13-02-2020, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 04:39:40 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
wrote:

I have my Mother's Lasagna Recipe, but I've never made it.
Takes a whole day just to make The Sauce she told me.

Were she wiser she'd prepare a 24 quart pot of sauce when she had
nothing else to do on a rainy day, then she could freeze it in
containers for lasagna, pasta, etc.
Whenever I prepare tomato sauce I prepare a large potful, no more time
or effort than preparing a small potful.

And it doesn't take a whole day to prepare tomato sauce. perhaps 3-4
hours and most time is for prepping ingredients... tomato sauce only
needs an hour or less to simmer as for lasagna/pizza it cooks more in
the oven.... cooked too long tomato sauce caramelizes, turns brown and
tastes burnt. The most laborious part of making tomato sauce is in
opening several #10 cans of crushed tomatoes and at the end ladling it
into freezer containers... no need to lift large heavy pots that's
what ladles are for.

If one doesn't feel like peeling, and dicing onions/garlic there's
always dehy... I use dehy bell pepper too, diced red and green... dehy
costs less than fresh as there is zero waste. I always keep dehy
veggies on hand, especially bell pepper. as there is a lot of wasted
weight when prepping, plus often one thinks they have bell peppers in
the fridge but when they look they have melted into slime as they were
bought a month ago. If you're not going to use bell peppers for a
while they can be diced and frozen or sauted in olive oil and kept in
the fridge. When bell peppers are on sale in summer for 79¢/lb I'll
buy a peck and prep them for later use. Sauted they'll keep six
months in the fridge... excellent in all sorts of dishes, omelets, on
garlic bread, Eyetalian hero sammiches.

The most important part of cooking is not the recipe...
it's the method... any monkey can follow a recipe.
Old 13-02-2020, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Lasagna freezes very well... it's actually very silly to prepare
lasagna for one meal. Lasagna will also keep well in the fridge for
3-4 days. The only drawback to preparing extra lasagna is in
refraining from noshing on it... good lasagna really needs no
reheating. When I prepare lasagna I use three pounds of noodles.
One of my lasagnas with 3 lbs of noodles ready for the oven; with tons
of cheese/riccotta/mozz/parm, saw-seege, sauce... mangia!
https://postimg.cc/5Q4HB6wD
Old 13-02-2020, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
Â* I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
become a way to use leftovers.Â* The only thing I have to cook is the
noodles.Â* A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
sittings.
Janet US

I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
for one on a whim.

I have been using uncooked regular lasagna pasta for years, I thin the
sauce a little and give it about 10 minutes longer in the oven with the
foil covering it. They have always turned out fine.

Old 13-02-2020, 06:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-02-13 8:12 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I just make mine in a bread loaf pan and it has
become a way to use leftovers. The only thing I have to cook is the
noodles. A loaf pan of lasagna is almost more than we can eat in two
sittings.
Janet US

I've been using "no-boil" noodles for years. They are so much more
convenient and with a packet on hand, you could almost make a lasagna
for one on a whim.
Graham

good to know. Thx
Janet US

Burling lasagna noodles is the easiest part... what about all the
other ingredients... or is it just no-cook noodles with ketchup and
chese sprinkled from the green can?
Old 13-02-2020, 09:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/13/20 4:39 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
[...]

you don't know when your brothers birthday is?
Old 13-02-2020, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I can't get lasagna down more than once a year. I've tried freezing
and it ends up languishing in the freezer. What I make for us is just
fine "for us"
Janet US
Old 14-02-2020, 08:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

My gardener really seems to like it. Only two servings left.