Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's the purpose of salad dressing?

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:48:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

One of the purposes of salad dressing is to add oil to the salad
vegetables. Otherwise, your body doesn't absorb the vitimins in the
salad greens because the vitimins are fat soluble.

The other purpose is to make it taste better. Some of us enjoy weird
flavors.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that
> I don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

To make it inedible,as far as I am concerned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 12:48:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

Bottled salad dressing? Of course it adds weird flavors.

Homemade salad dressings add piquancy and a luxurious mouthfeel.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:48:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>>anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>>don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

> One of the purposes of salad dressing is to add oil to the salad
> vegetables. Otherwise, your body doesn't absorb the vitimins in the
> salad greens because the vitimins are fat soluble.

Hmmm... I know this is true with raw carrots. I didn't know this was true
with greens.

> The other purpose is to make it taste better. Some of us enjoy weird
> flavors.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
> don't like.

Well Julie, if you like them plain, go for it. Only YOUR
taste counts for you. Everyone has differences.

Weird flavors? Sounds to me like you need to find a better
salad dressing. Again though, or no dressing if that's
what you prefer.

I love a fresh tossed salad say, lettuce, tomato, onion, carrot
and cucumber slices. A basic tossed salad. Especially good to
accompany a tomato based pasta dish..like lasagna.
My cheap favorite dressing to go with that is just a mix
of 3/4 mayo and 1/4 ketchup. Something like that. It's a
pink dressing.

While I like all the veg flavors plain, that tossed salad
without a dressing would bore me to sleep.

Sometimes I'll make a deluxe salad-only dinner. That's
when I'll add in many other ingredients and maybe a
different dressing. Maybe Italian, Ranch or some other.
Never a plain (no dressing) salad though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2020 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 12:48:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

> Bottled salad dressing? Of course it adds weird flavors.
>
> Homemade salad dressings add piquancy and a luxurious mouthfeel.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.

I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at the
bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't want
sugar on my salad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:22:11 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/27/2020 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 12:48:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
> >> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
> >> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

> > Bottled salad dressing? Of course it adds weird flavors.
> >
> > Homemade salad dressings add piquancy and a luxurious mouthfeel.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
> while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.
>
> I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at the
> bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't want
> sugar on my salad.

I had some really harsh sherry vinegar. A pinch of sugar helped tame it.
Otherwise, I have no use for sugar in salad dressing. I tolerate it in
creamy cole slaw for my husband's sake, but I usually eat cole slaw dressed
with vinaigrette.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:48:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

Why butter bread? Why use ketchup? Some people think those things
enhance the flavor. You don't, so don't sweat it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know most people like it but I generally don't.

What a SURPRISE!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

i like various dressings but the one we use the most
around here is ranch. Mom makes her own thousand island
dressing that is good. we'd probably eat it all the
time if she felt like making it that often. i don't
really care specifically as i can be happy with fruit
and nuts added instead. vinegar and oil can have a lot
of variations depending upon what spices you might like
to put in it (keep it refrigerated).

sprinkled cheeses can also go a long ways towards
adding variety.

having some good chili on hand means taco salads.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-27 12:07 p.m., Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:42:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I had some really harsh sherry vinegar. A pinch of sugar helped tame it.
>> Otherwise, I have no use for sugar in salad dressing. I tolerate it in
>> creamy cole slaw for my husband's sake, but I usually eat cole slaw dressed
>> with vinaigrette.

> Again, a tiny pinch of baking soda will tame any acids. I use it a
> lot in my sherry vinegar dressings.
>
> -sw

Staying a a B&B in the SW corner of Australia many years ago, the
landlady added baking soda to the teapot, after the first cups, to
counteract the tannin from the "stewing" of the tea leaves. I haven't
come across that method since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:22:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/27/2020 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 12:48:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>>> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>>> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

>> Bottled salad dressing? Of course it adds weird flavors.
>>
>> Homemade salad dressings add piquancy and a luxurious mouthfeel.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
>while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.
>
>I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at the
>bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't want
>sugar on my salad.

I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
salad dressings.

You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that
>> don't like.

> Well Julie, if you like them plain, go for it. Only YOUR
> taste counts for you. Everyone has differences.
>
> Weird flavors? Sounds to me like you need to find a better
> salad dressing. Again though, or no dressing if that's
> what you prefer.
>
> I love a fresh tossed salad say, lettuce, tomato, onion, carrot
> and cucumber slices. A basic tossed salad. Especially good to
> accompany a tomato based pasta dish..like lasagna.
> My cheap favorite dressing to go with that is just a mix
> of 3/4 mayo and 1/4 ketchup. Something like that. It's a
> pink dressing.
>
> While I like all the veg flavors plain, that tossed salad
> without a dressing would bore me to sleep.
>
> Sometimes I'll make a deluxe salad-only dinner. That's
> when I'll add in many other ingredients and maybe a
> different dressing. Maybe Italian, Ranch or some other.
> Never a plain (no dressing) salad though.

Mine would be something like yours minus the cuke but I usually also add
celery, maybe bell pepper, olives, cheese and nuts. It's not just the flavor
of the dressing I don't like, it's the texture that it gives to the salad.I
like biting into crisp, crunchy things. Not soggy things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:22:08 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Bottled salad dressing? Of course it adds weird flavors.
>>>
>>> Homemade salad dressings add piquancy and a luxurious mouthfeel.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
>>while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.
>>
>>I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at the
>>bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't want
>>sugar on my salad.

> I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
> Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
> salad dressings.
>
> You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
> bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
> before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
> eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
> over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

I am basing this on the few times I got salad at a party that came with the
dressing on it. Very soggy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:48:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>>anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>>don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

> Why butter bread? Why use ketchup? Some people think those things
> enhance the flavor. You don't, so don't sweat it.
> Janet US

I just wondered if there was a reason because it's so commonly used/ To me
it seems like taking a wonderful thing and turning it into an inedible
thing. My dad ate dry toast. I don't like it that way. The butter seems to
help so I don't choke. But that's about the only thing I put on toast. I
don't jam or sweet things. I only use ketchup in meatloaf or on fried
potatoes.Otherwise I don't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Otherwise I don't like it.

EXACTLY.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that
>> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

> i like various dressings but the one we use the most
> around here is ranch. Mom makes her own thousand island
> dressing that is good. we'd probably eat it all the
> time if she felt like making it that often. i don't
> really care specifically as i can be happy with fruit
> and nuts added instead. vinegar and oil can have a lot
> of variations depending upon what spices you might like
> to put in it (keep it refrigerated).

I've never eaten ranch. Not that I could because it has egg in it. The smell
just knocks me ver though.

> sprinkled cheeses can also go a long ways towards
> adding variety.

I always add cheese.

> having some good chili on hand means taco salads.

I don't use chili for taco salads. I use either plain or seasoned ground
beef or maybe just some beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 4:26:49 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Doris Night" > wrote in message

> >>I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
> >>while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.
> >>
> >>I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at the
> >>bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't want
> >>sugar on my salad.

> > I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
> > Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
> > salad dressings.
> >
> > You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
> > bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
> > before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
> > eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
> > over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

> I am basing this on the few times I got salad at a party that came with the
> dressing on it. Very soggy.

Because the poor dead lettuce was laying limp IN THE DRESSING for too long! So it ALL became soggy!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:22:11 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 1/27/2020 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > salads >> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds
> > weird flavors that I >> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco
> > salad, but that's about it.
> > >
> > > Bottled salad dressing? Of course it adds weird flavors.
> > >
> > > Homemade salad dressings add piquancy and a luxurious mouthfeel.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
> > while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.
> >
> > I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at
> > the bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't
> > want sugar on my salad.

> I had some really harsh sherry vinegar. A pinch of sugar helped tame
> it. Otherwise, I have no use for sugar in salad dressing. I
> tolerate it in creamy cole slaw for my husband's sake, but I usually
> eat cole slaw dressed with vinaigrette.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I make creamy coleslaw but of the savory type. No sugar added. I
detest sweet coleslaws.

Mayo and some mustard then onions and seasonings. Not Mircale Whimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:26:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
>> Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
>> salad dressings.
>>
>> You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
>> bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
>> before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
>> eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
>> over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

>I am basing this on the few times I got salad at a party that came with the
>dressing on it. Very soggy.

That's happened to me, as well. And it's usually cheap bottled
"creamy" dressing like ranch or cesar. The lettuce just drips with it.

I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
dressing for quite a while.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 4:26:49 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

>> > I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
>> > Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
>> > salad dressings.
>> >
>> > You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
>> > bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
>> > before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
>> > eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
>> > over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

>> I am basing this on the few times I got salad at a party that came with
>> the
>> dressing on it. Very soggy.

> Because the poor dead lettuce was laying limp IN THE DRESSING for too
> long! So it ALL became soggy!

It was totally coated. I'm referring to catered events where it was all
mixed up in a huge bowl then portioned out for serving. They had no salad
that had no dressing. I don't know why they bothered. Most people tried a
bite, dropped their fork and pushed it away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:26:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
>>> Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
>>> salad dressings.
>>>
>>> You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
>>> bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
>>> before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
>>> eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
>>> over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

>>I am basing this on the few times I got salad at a party that came with
>>the
>>dressing on it. Very soggy.

> That's happened to me, as well. And it's usually cheap bottled
> "creamy" dressing like ranch or cesar. The lettuce just drips with it.
>
> I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
> container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
> generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
> dressing for quite a while.

I am able to get it with no dressing in a restaurant but I am picky where I
get it at. One place was notorious for serving it on icy, frozen plates.
That resorted in wilted lettuce. They stopped using those plates but I often
found strange things in there like a soggy crouton (I always ask for no
croutons) or a shred of cheese. The waitress said the salad bowl was placed
in such a location that stuff was always getting dropped into the bowl. No
things. Those were just the thing I saw. Not sure what else went in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
news
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > salads >> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds
>> > weird flavors that I >> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco
>> > salad, but that's about it.

>> > I like simple. Good olive oil and a touch of vinegar but once in a
>> > while I go to the old mix of mayo and ketchup for a creamy dressing.
>> >
>> > I tasted a Vidalia onion dressing that seemed OK until I looked at
>> > the bottle. First ingredient was sugar. I like sweets but I don't
>> > want sugar on my salad.

>> I had some really harsh sherry vinegar. A pinch of sugar helped tame
>> it. Otherwise, I have no use for sugar in salad dressing. I
>> tolerate it in creamy cole slaw for my husband's sake, but I usually
>> eat cole slaw dressed with vinaigrette.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I make creamy coleslaw but of the savory type. No sugar added. I
> detest sweet coleslaws.
>
> Mayo and some mustard then onions and seasonings. Not Mircale Whimp!

As a child, I thought I hated mayo. In fact, it was Miracle Whip I hated. I
didn't know the difference as my mom called it mayo. She also called
margarine butter. I do like mayo but have to eat the vegan kind now because
I can't have eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jan 27, , Gary wrote
(in article >):

> My cheap favorite dressing to go with that is just a mix
> of 3/4 mayo and 1/4 ketchup. Something like that. It's a
> pink dressing.

Toss in a bit of jarred creamed horseradish and you have a dandy dip for
cold boiled shrimp.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/27/2020 9:31 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:26:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message

>>> I have a few little bottles of fancy balsamic vinegar (Mission Fig,
>>> Pomegranate, Maple, Honey Ginger) that I mix with good EVOO for my
>>> salad dressings.
>>>
>>> You don't need much - perhaps half a tablespoon for a fairly large
>>> bowl of salad - and it should be added at the last minute, right
>>> before you are going to eat, and it should be well tossed before
>>> eating. If you find that your salad is less crisp, you are probably
>>> over-dressing it and adding the dressing too early.

>> I am basing this on the few times I got salad at a party that came with the
>> dressing on it. Very soggy.

> That's happened to me, as well. And it's usually cheap bottled
> "creamy" dressing like ranch or cesar. The lettuce just drips with it.
>
> I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
> container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
> generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
> dressing for quite a while.
>
> Doris

Many bring the salad with no dressing on it but in a container on the
side.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:
> I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
> container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
> generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
> dressing for quite a while.

no place i go to has dressing on the salad before you
get it and you can order the salad with the dressing on
the side.

i suppose this community salad with one dressing on it
might be a cultural thing, but i'd not much like it. still
i could eat it if that is all there was.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Doris Night wrote:
>> I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
>> container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
>> generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
>> dressing for quite a while.

> no place i go to has dressing on the salad before you
> get it and you can order the salad with the dressing on
> the side.
>
> i suppose this community salad with one dressing on it
> might be a cultural thing, but i'd not much like it. still
> i could eat it if that is all there was.
>

> songbird

The only time I've seen restaurant salad with the dressing already mixed in
are certain chopped salads.Most don't make it that way though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 12:48:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

In my previous post I forgot the real, primary purpose of salad dressing:

To unify the disparate ingredients into a pleasing whole while still allowing
their unique characteristics to be appreciated.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Mine would be something like yours minus the cuke but I usually also add
> celery, maybe bell pepper, olives, cheese and nuts. It's not just the flavor
> of the dressing I don't like, it's the texture that it gives to the salad.I
> like biting into crisp, crunchy things. Not soggy things.

The key to a good tossed salad imo is:
- cut your veggies and make salad right before the meal,
not in advance
- only make enough for one meal, no leftovers
- put dressing on right before you eat the salad
or even on the side as a dip
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I like peanut butter on toast, sometimes with jam. If I'm having toast
> with soup or eggs or something like that I just use salted butter.

Same here, tert. As always, you nailed it.

If you like swiss cheese, try this sometime as a snack:
When toast first pops up and very hot, spread on peanut
butter (it melts) and immediately top with a thin slice of
swiss cheese (to soften as it's still hot)

I discovered this by accident one night when I wanted a
snack and loved it. Still do. Note: other cheeses don't
work, only swiss.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leo wrote:

> On 2020 Jan 27, , Gary wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > My cheap favorite dressing to go with that is just a mix
> > of 3/4 mayo and 1/4 ketchup. Something like that. It's a
> > pink dressing.

> Toss in a bit of jarred creamed horseradish and you have a dandy dip for
> cold boiled shrimp.

Or even plain prepared horseradish. That would be good, I agree.
I rarely have leftover shrimp unless I purposely save a few
for a sandwich the next day.

Boiled shrimp is superior to "steamed." Do a boil and get
those shrimp down in the flavor.

Mine turns out so good, I quit making cocktail sauce. Just too
tasty plain to distract from the flavor with a sauce.

For boiled shrimp, try this mix:
- in a small saucepan, put 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar
- add a bit of salt and go heavy with the Old Bay seasoning.

Don't need to make enough to cover the shrimp, just stir
around a few times while it shortly cooks. That actually
gives you half boiled and half steamed (do use a lid while
cooking. Delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:08:57 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Leo wrote:
> >
> > On 2020 Jan 27, , Gary wrote
> > (in article >):
> >
> > > My cheap favorite dressing to go with that is just a mix
> > > of 3/4 mayo and 1/4 ketchup. Something like that. It's a
> > > pink dressing.

> > Toss in a bit of jarred creamed horseradish and you have a dandy dip for
> > cold boiled shrimp.

> Or even plain prepared horseradish. That would be good, I agree.
> I rarely have leftover shrimp unless I purposely save a few
> for a sandwich the next day.
>
> Boiled shrimp is superior to "steamed."

Grilled shrimp is superior to boiled. Ah, the joys of the Maillard
reaction.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:21:13 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:08:57 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > Leo wrote:
> > >
> > > On 2020 Jan 27, , Gary wrote
> > > (in article >):

> > > Toss in a bit of jarred creamed horseradish and you have a dandy dip for
> > > cold boiled shrimp.

> > Or even plain prepared horseradish. That would be good, I agree.
> > I rarely have leftover shrimp unless I purposely save a few
> > for a sandwich the next day.
> >
> > Boiled shrimp is superior to "steamed."

> Grilled shrimp is superior to boiled.

To which boiled shrimp? Shrimp boiled in water? beer? butter? seasoned broth? coconut milk? Zatarain's crab boil ingredients?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-28 8:06 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 12:48:58 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I know most people like it but I generally don't. Not on green salads
>> anyway. To me, it makes the salad less crisp and adds weird flavors that I
>> don't like. I might put salsa on a taco salad, but that's about it.

> In my previous post I forgot the real, primary purpose of salad dressing:
>
> To unify the disparate ingredients into a pleasing whole while still allowing
> their unique characteristics to be appreciated.

I am surprised that you also forgot to point out Julie's reason for
posting about another one of her dislikes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 23:59:44 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Doris Night wrote:
>> I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
>> container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
>> generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
>> dressing for quite a while.

> no place i go to has dressing on the salad before you
>get it and you can order the salad with the dressing on
>the side.
>
> i suppose this community salad with one dressing on it
>might be a cultural thing, but i'd not much like it. still
>i could eat it if that is all there was.
>
> songbird

The only salad I know of that arrives already dressed is a slaw. Even
the greasyest spoon will bring a salad undressed with a dressing of
choice on the side... nowadays the dressings are in sealed plastic
packets as is ketchup, mustard, syrups, even butter pats jam/jelly,
and cream for coffee. The only exception is a caesar salad but that
would be dressed at table. I've never in my life encountered a
restaurant that serves pre-dressed salad, for one they'd have a lot of
waste... leafy greens go limp in under five minutes of being dressed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 04:28:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"songbird" > wrote in message
>> Doris Night wrote:
>>> I won't eat salad at a restaurant because they keep it in a huge
>>> container in the kitchen and dish it out when it's ordered. It will
>>> generally have too much dressing on it, and it will have sat in the
>>> dressing for quite a while.

>> no place i go to has dressing on the salad before you
>> get it and you can order the salad with the dressing on
>> the side.
>>
>> i suppose this community salad with one dressing on it
>> might be a cultural thing, but i'd not much like it. still
>> i could eat it if that is all there was.
>>

>> songbird

>The only time I've seen restaurant salad with the dressing already mixed in
>are certain chopped salads.Most don't make it that way though.

Typically cole slaws or carrot-raisin salad, and there are jello
salads... individual Jello fruit cocktail salads are sold in serving
sized plastic tubs at market... the ones with mandarin orange segments
are popular at school cafeterias.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:10:43 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Leo wrote:
>>
>> On 2020 Jan 27, , Gary wrote
>> (in article >):
>>
>> > My cheap favorite dressing to go with that is just a mix
>> > of 3/4 mayo and 1/4 ketchup. Something like that. It's a
>> > pink dressing.

>> Toss in a bit of jarred creamed horseradish and you have a dandy dip for
>> cold boiled shrimp.

>Or even plain prepared horseradish. That would be good, I agree.
>I rarely have leftover shrimp unless I purposely save a few
>for a sandwich the next day.
>
>Boiled shrimp is superior to "steamed." Do a boil and get
>those shrimp down in the flavor.
>
>Mine turns out so good, I quit making cocktail sauce. Just too
>tasty plain to distract from the flavor with a sauce.
>
>For boiled shrimp, try this mix:
>- in a small saucepan, put 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar
>- add a bit of salt and go heavy with the Old Bay seasoning.
>
>Don't need to make enough to cover the shrimp, just stir
>around a few times while it shortly cooks. That actually
>gives you half boiled and half steamed (do use a lid while
>cooking. Delicious!

Perhaps I'd like that, I detest the schtink of shrimp boiling as much
as bacon frying.

Salad Dressing BBQ General Cooking 41 27-03-2015 10:35 PM
Salad Dressing aem General Cooking 7 06-06-2009 10:09 PM
Fun with salad dressing. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 26 18-01-2008 12:22 AM
Salad dressing Dee Randall Asian Cooking 7 30-11-2004 11:29 AM
Jimmy Durante's Salad Dressing Salad 7Hawks Recipes 0 20-11-2004 10:02 PM