Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Celery Root

Typically, when purchasing celery root, i steam it with a head of garlic
and do a mash as a potato mash alternative.

Last night, I experimented a bit by shaving a slice of the root with a
vegetable peeler and, after chopping it down to pieces added it to my
dinner salad. The mild celery flavor really added a pleasurable
dimension to the salad.

Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:29:37 -0800, Daniel > wrote:

>Typically, when purchasing celery root, i steam it with a head of garlic
>and do a mash as a potato mash alternative.
>
>Last night, I experimented a bit by shaving a slice of the root with a
>vegetable peeler and, after chopping it down to pieces added it to my
>dinner salad. The mild celery flavor really added a pleasurable
>dimension to the salad.
>
>Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

Is that celeriac?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:29:37 -0800, Daniel > wrote:

> Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

Personally I don't care for the flavor or texture of the root but I do
like celery, especially in soups, sauces, and stews and since rib
celery is hard to find here outside the big ciites, what I do is plant
a couple of roots in a pot on the balcony and harvest the stalks and
leaves when I need them.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-25 1:36 a.m., Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:29:37 -0800, Daniel > wrote:
>
>> Typically, when purchasing celery root, i steam it with a head of garlic
>> and do a mash as a potato mash alternative.
>>
>> Last night, I experimented a bit by shaving a slice of the root with a
>> vegetable peeler and, after chopping it down to pieces added it to my
>> dinner salad. The mild celery flavor really added a pleasurable
>> dimension to the salad.
>>
>> Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

> Is that celeriac?

Yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-25 1:29 a.m., Daniel wrote:
> Typically, when purchasing celery root, i steam it with a head of garlic
> and do a mash as a potato mash alternative.
>
> Last night, I experimented a bit by shaving a slice of the root with a
> vegetable peeler and, after chopping it down to pieces added it to my
> dinner salad. The mild celery flavor really added a pleasurable
> dimension to the salad.
>
> Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

Not experiment but I chop it into cubes a bit bigger than sugar cubes
then use them as a "bed" under a pork pot roast that I've rubbed with
fennel seeds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:29:37 -0800, Daniel > wrote:

>Typically, when purchasing celery root, i steam it with a head of garlic
>and do a mash as a potato mash alternative.
>
>Last night, I experimented a bit by shaving a slice of the root with a
>vegetable peeler and, after chopping it down to pieces added it to my
>dinner salad. The mild celery flavor really added a pleasurable
>dimension to the salad.
>
>Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

I use it in soups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
> >Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

> I use it in soups.

I've never used celery root. Only celery stalks and leaves.
How does the root differ? Just curious. I might just like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 12:59:39 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:29:37 -0800, Daniel > wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

>Personally I don't care for the flavor or texture of the root but I do
>like celery, especially in soups, sauces, and stews and since rib
>celery is hard to find here outside the big ciites, what I do is plant
>a couple of roots in a pot on the balcony and harvest the stalks and
>leaves when I need them.

Celery root/celeriac, is not the root of regular celery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 10:08:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> Daniel wrote:
>> >Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

>> I use it in soups.

>I've never used celery root. Only celery stalks and leaves.
>How does the root differ? Just curious. I might just like it.

I adds some depth of flavor. If I cannot get celery root, I use
parsnip in soup. It is not too dissimilar to that, though, it is not
as sweet as parsnip. Some do find it to have a celery-like hint,
obviously.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 06:33:58 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2020-01-25 1:36 a.m., Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 00:29:37 -0800, Daniel > wrote:
>>
>>> Typically, when purchasing celery root, i steam it with a head of garlic
>>> and do a mash as a potato mash alternative.
>>>
>>> Last night, I experimented a bit by shaving a slice of the root with a
>>> vegetable peeler and, after chopping it down to pieces added it to my
>>> dinner salad. The mild celery flavor really added a pleasurable
>>> dimension to the salad.
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

>> Is that celeriac?
>>

>Yes.

We've only ever mashed it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 10:08:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> Daniel wrote:
>> >Has anyone tried to experiment with celery root?

>> I use it in soups.

>I've never used celery root. Only celery stalks and leaves.
>How does the root differ? Just curious. I might just like it.

Celeriac is generally not available at US markets, you'd likely find
it at some ethnic markets. I've tried it but don't like it, tasted
nothing like stalk celery to me plus its texture is not comparable.
One of my favorite celery-like vegetables is bulb fennel, I love its
texture and I happen to enjoy the mild licorice flavor... fennel
fronds are excellent for flavoring fish stock and the dried stalks are
excellent used as a rack for grilling fish. Sausage wouldn't be
saw-seege without fennel seeds. Fennel seeds are very often used as a
breath freshener, especially at 'Talian restaurants to nullify garlic
breath. I use Tom's of Maine Fennel Toothpaste, owned by Colgate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JUJ1ECU...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-25 9:04 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 10:08:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> I use it in soups.

>> I've never used celery root. Only celery stalks and leaves.
>> How does the root differ? Just curious. I might just like it.

> I adds some depth of flavor. If I cannot get celery root, I use
> parsnip in soup. It is not too dissimilar to that, though, it is not
> as sweet as parsnip. Some do find it to have a celery-like hint,
> obviously.

All part of the Umbellifera, a very important food and flavouring family.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:18:40 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2020-01-25 9:04 a.m., Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> I've never used celery root. Only celery stalks and leaves.
>>> How does the root differ? Just curious. I might just like it.

>> I adds some depth of flavor. If I cannot get celery root, I use
>> parsnip in soup. It is not too dissimilar to that, though, it is not
>> as sweet as parsnip. Some do find it to have a celery-like hint,
>> obviously.
>>

>All part of the Umbellifera, a very important food and flavouring family.

I just got back from the market where they were charging $3.99/lb for
it, and none too fresh, either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/20 10:34 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:18:40 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> I adds some depth of flavor. If I cannot get celery root, I use
>>> parsnip in soup. It is not too dissimilar to that, though, it is not
>>> as sweet as parsnip. Some do find it to have a celery-like hint,
>>> obviously.
>>>

>> All part of the Umbellifera, a very important food and flavouring family.

> I just got back from the market where they were charging $3.99/lb for
> it, and none too fresh, either.

I found that celery root never looks fresh. I've had mine for over two
weeks and it's fine. They seem to keep a long enough time.

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:01:41 -0800, Daniel > wrote:

>On 1/25/20 10:34 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> All part of the Umbellifera, a very important food and flavouring family.

>> I just got back from the market where they were charging $3.99/lb for
>> it, and none too fresh, either.
>>

>I found that celery root never looks fresh. I've had mine for over two
>weeks and it's fine. They seem to keep a long enough time.

These were wrinkly and soft. One also had mold at the stem part. I
thought I'd pass.

When fresh, yes, they seem to keep a good long time, as do most root
veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 10:48:57 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> >Personally I don't care for the flavor or texture of the root but I do
> >like celery, especially in soups, sauces, and stews and since rib
> >celery is hard to find here outside the big ciites, what I do is plant
> >a couple of roots in a pot on the balcony and harvest the stalks and
> >leaves when I need them.

> Celery root/celeriac, is not the root of regular celery.

True but "Celeriac (Apium graveolens var. rapaceum), also called
celery root, knob celery, and turnip-rooted celery (although it is not
a close relative of the turnip), is a variety of celery cultivated for
its edible stem or hypocotyl, and shoots."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac

In other words it's close enough for what I want it for, ie soups,
sauces, and stews. Chopped, it can also be used in salads.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:18:40 -0700, graham > wrote:

> >> I adds some depth of flavor. If I cannot get celery root, I use
> >> parsnip in soup. It is not too dissimilar to that, though, it is

> not >> as sweet as parsnip. Some do find it to have a celery-like
> hint, >> obviously.
> >>

> > All part of the Umbellifera, a very important food and flavouring
> > family.

> I just got back from the market where they were charging $3.99/lb for
> it, and none too fresh, either.

It runs about the same here except can get it seasonally at American
Asian Market and the International Market on Newtown rd for 3.25/lb.

One of the few I've not bothered to try out yet. I'm not a big fan of
celery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 08:20:37 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 10:48:57 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>> >Personally I don't care for the flavor or texture of the root but I do
>> >like celery, especially in soups, sauces, and stews and since rib
>> >celery is hard to find here outside the big ciites, what I do is plant
>> >a couple of roots in a pot on the balcony and harvest the stalks and
>> >leaves when I need them.

>> Celery root/celeriac, is not the root of regular celery.

>True but "Celeriac (Apium graveolens var. rapaceum), also called
>celery root, knob celery, and turnip-rooted celery (although it is not
>a close relative of the turnip), is a variety of celery cultivated for
>its edible stem or hypocotyl, and shoots."
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac
>
>In other words it's close enough for what I want it for, ie soups,
>sauces, and stews. Chopped, it can also be used in salads.

What I said stands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/25/20 3:50 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:01:41 -0800, Daniel > wrote:

>>> I just got back from the market where they were charging $3.99/lb for
>>> it, and none too fresh, either.
>>>

>> I found that celery root never looks fresh. I've had mine for over two
>> weeks and it's fine. They seem to keep a long enough time.

> These were wrinkly and soft. One also had mold at the stem part. I
> thought I'd pass.
>
> When fresh, yes, they seem to keep a good long time, as do most root
> veggies.

Yeah that sounds quite gnarley.

--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:01:17 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> >In other words it's close enough for what I want it for, ie soups,
> >sauces, and stews. Chopped, it can also be used in salads.

> What I said stands.

As I said, "True".