Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner for a chilly Friday

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/25/2020 12:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 6:59:34 AM UTC-10, Cindy
>> Hamilton wrote:

>>> No, I'm talking about things mothers used to say when their kids
>>> wanted
>>> to do something stupid that everybody else was doing.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Please carefully read the attribution section so you know who I'm
>> talking to! You use Google Groups so it's really easy to tell.
>>

> Who are you talking to?* What I said has nothing to do with suicide.

He's a hearing aid dealer, but there's a lot of echos on rocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 1/25/2020 4:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/25/2020 10:09 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Why "proud"? It's like being proud of having red hair or being
>>> of French descent.
>>>

>> Why not? It is apparently okay for other people to be proud of their
>> backgrounds, religions, sexuality etc. For some reason, it is not
>> okay to be proud of being a straight, white male.
>>

> Why is this even under discussion? notbob and Terry are drinking.
> Tequila and Wild Turkey, respectively. I'm more interested in the
> pork dinner.
>
> Jill

It came out great . Crispy on the outside and juicy and tender inside
.. The roasted potatoes (learned that here) were delicious as were the
glazed (in my 8" cast iron frying pan) carrots . Actually I could have
pulled the roast about a half hour earlier and it would have been better
.. Next time I will . Some of the leftovers made a great lunch - only the
taters and meat though , my wife really likes my glazed carrots and
usually finishes them off .

Snag

====

Ok share your recipe for your glazed carrots please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 12:20:17 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 1/25/2020 6:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> * Well , since my only remaining "brother" changed his name to Rachel
> >> on his 66th b'day ...

> > Let's stick to you for the moment. You had no choice in being born
> > straight or white. Are you proud of your careful selection of
> > parents?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> ** That's just pure bait Cindy , and it stinks . Is it wrong for me to
> be proud of what I am ? I mean I know it's out of vogue to be white and
> male ... maybe I should wax my chest and put my hair (what's left) up in
> a man-bun . Nah , I'd never make it as a metrosexual , I'm nowhere near
> PC enough to "pass" .

It's not wrong. I just don't see why a person should be proud of things
over which he had no control, for which he put forth no effort.

Be proud of your accomplishments, not for an accident of genetics.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 12:21:13 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 6:59:34 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Are you talking about people that will jump off a bridge?

> > No, I'm talking about things mothers used to say when their kids wanted
> > to do something stupid that everybody else was doing.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Please carefully read the attribution section so you know who I'm talking to! You use Google Groups so it's really easy to tell.

I read the attributions. I was the only person who mentioned people jumping
off a bridge.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2020 4:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Terry Coombs"* wrote in message ...
> On 1/25/2020 4:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Why not? It is apparently okay for other people to be proud of their
>>> backgrounds, religions, sexuality etc.* For some reason, it is not
>>> okay to be proud of being a straight, white male.
>>>

>> Why is this even under discussion?* notbob and Terry are drinking.
>> Tequila and Wild Turkey, respectively.* I'm more interested in the
>> pork dinner.
>>
>> Jill

> * It came out great . Crispy on the outside and juicy and tender
> inside . The roasted potatoes (learned that here) were delicious as
> were the glazed (in my 8" cast iron frying pan) carrots . Actually I
> could have pulled the roast about a half hour earlier and it would
> have been better . Next time I will . Some of the leftovers made a
> great lunch - only the taters and meat though , my wife really likes
> my glazed carrots and usually finishes them off .
>
> *Snag
>
> ====
>
> * Ok share your recipe for your glazed carrots please?

* OK , put about 1 1/2 tbsp butter or marg and a quarter cup of brown
sugar in a frying pan and heat and stir on medium until the butter and
sugar melt and become bubbly . Add some* drained carrots (1 can or that
approx amount of fresh cooked) , about 1/8-1/4 tsp ground cloves and a
pinch each of nutmeg and allspice . Cook on low until the carrots begin
to darken just a tiny bit from absorbing the glaze mixture , serve hot .
Do NOT add the spices until the carrots are in , I've done that and
scorched them and ruined the dish .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 1/26/2020 4:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...
> On 1/25/2020 4:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Why not? It is apparently okay for other people to be proud of their
>>> backgrounds, religions, sexuality etc. For some reason, it is not
>>> okay to be proud of being a straight, white male.
>>>

>> Why is this even under discussion? notbob and Terry are drinking.
>> Tequila and Wild Turkey, respectively. I'm more interested in the
>> pork dinner.
>>
>> Jill

> It came out great . Crispy on the outside and juicy and tender
> inside . The roasted potatoes (learned that here) were delicious as
> were the glazed (in my 8" cast iron frying pan) carrots . Actually I
> could have pulled the roast about a half hour earlier and it would
> have been better . Next time I will . Some of the leftovers made a
> great lunch - only the taters and meat though , my wife really likes
> my glazed carrots and usually finishes them off .
>
> Snag
>
> ====
>
> Ok share your recipe for your glazed carrots please?

OK , put about 1 1/2 tbsp butter or marg and a quarter cup of brown
sugar in a frying pan and heat and stir on medium until the butter and
sugar melt and become bubbly . Add some drained carrots (1 can or that
approx amount of fresh cooked) , about 1/8-1/4 tsp ground cloves and a
pinch each of nutmeg and allspice . Cook on low until the carrots begin
to darken just a tiny bit from absorbing the glaze mixture , serve hot .
Do NOT add the spices until the carrots are in , I've done that and
scorched them and ruined the dish .

Snag

===

Thanks very much

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-24, Terry Coombs > wrote:

> * I am proudly heterosexual male ... and white !

Kinda figured that(after awhile), but the Terry threw me off.

(Haven't got the sex right on any of the names, 'cept'n "cindy" and
"jane"!)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-26, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Saute in butter, when mostly cooked add in a little brown sugar a glug
> or two of Chambourd and reduce.

I'll hafta try that.

Always wondered what to do with Chambourd.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-25, jmcquown > wrote:

> Oh good lord. He moved back in (why the hell you'd let him is a mystery
> after he broke the glass in your oven door and wouldn't pay for it).
> Now we get to hear about him eating up all your food (again). Hand him
> a bill.

Calm down Jill!

You know it's only Julie trying to get yer goat. (How do you recall
all this stuff? I only know Julie is tired of being beat out by this
Kuthe fella).

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2020 10:53 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2020-01-25, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Oh good lord. He moved back in (why the hell you'd let him is a mystery
>> after he broke the glass in your oven door and wouldn't pay for it).
>> Now we get to hear about him eating up all your food (again). Hand him
>> a bill.

> Calm down Jill!

Calm down from what? There wasn't even an exclamation point. I'm
simply pointing out the obvious.

> You know it's only Julie trying to get yer goat. (How do you recall
> all this stuff?

I have an excellent memory, m'dear.

I only know Julie is tired of being beat out by this
> Kuthe fella).
>
> nb

They're not in the same league. She lets this guy live there for
nothing then complains about him eating her food and breaking stuff and
not paying for it. Kuthe charges strangers to live in his house,
pretends not to benefit monetarily and thinks they are his best friends.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 06:09:31 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 1/26/2020 4:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Terry Coombs"* wrote in message ...

>>> Why is this even under discussion?* notbob and Terry are drinking.
>>> Tequila and Wild Turkey, respectively.* I'm more interested in the
>>> pork dinner.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> * It came out great . Crispy on the outside and juicy and tender
>> inside . The roasted potatoes (learned that here) were delicious as
>> were the glazed (in my 8" cast iron frying pan) carrots . Actually I
>> could have pulled the roast about a half hour earlier and it would
>> have been better . Next time I will . Some of the leftovers made a
>> great lunch - only the taters and meat though , my wife really likes
>> my glazed carrots and usually finishes them off .
>>
>> *Snag
>>
>> ====
>>
>> * Ok share your recipe for your glazed carrots please?
>>

> * OK , put about 1 1/2 tbsp butter or marg and a quarter cup of brown
>sugar in a frying pan and heat and stir on medium until the butter and
>sugar melt and become bubbly . Add some* drained carrots (1 can or that
>approx amount of fresh cooked) , about 1/8-1/4 tsp ground cloves and a
>pinch each of nutmeg and allspice . Cook on low until the carrots begin
>to darken just a tiny bit from absorbing the glaze mixture , serve hot .
>Do NOT add the spices until the carrots are in , I've done that and
>scorched them and ruined the dish .

Canned carrots??? Doesn't get more hillybilly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:26:40 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

> [...] SPOG

Salt Pepper Onion Garlic ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/26/2020 12:10 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:26:40 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> [...] SPOG

> Salt Pepper Onion Garlic ?

Yep! A new acronym.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-26 10:53 a.m., notbob wrote:
> On 2020-01-25, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Oh good lord. He moved back in (why the hell you'd let him is a mystery
>> after he broke the glass in your oven door and wouldn't pay for it).
>> Now we get to hear about him eating up all your food (again). Hand him
>> a bill.

> Calm down Jill!
>
> You know it's only Julie trying to get yer goat. (How do you recall
> all this stuff? I only know Julie is tired of being beat out by this
> Kuthe fella).

Sadly, there are a few attention whores here trying to outdo each other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

* **** off .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:30:11 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> Sadly, there are a few attention whores here trying to outdo each other.

A few? As well, don't forget that on Usenet there are 'ubertrolls' who
systematically target newsgroups for destruction. Presumably their plan for
world domination is to reduce the number of viable newsgroups to a list
that will fit onto the base page of their newsreader.

They occaisionally drop feelers here, but most of us killfile them out of
hand, either because we have seen them destroy other groups, or because
their MO is indistinguishable from that of unorganized 'simpleton' trolls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> A little while ago I had some Kroger "Private Selection" butter chicken
> spring rolls. I was NOT impressed.

Joan! If you buy grocery store spring rolls,
try Lean Cuisine spring rolls sometime (frozen food section).
Don't pay full price. Once a month they go on sale for $2.00.
They have 2 kinds (that I've seen).

The chicken ones are good but get tiring after a bit.
My favorite is the Asian spring rolls. Very tasty and very
low calories. I like a bit of orange sauce (duck sauce)
to go with them.

The box has two plastic wrappers with 3 rolls each.
Good for a snack and also good to accompany a stir fry dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> RFC is, of course, an acronym.

What does that stand for, Jill? I've always wondered.
It's been mentioned often here in this group.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 7:24:37 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
>
> > A little while ago I had some Kroger "Private Selection" butter chicken
> > spring rolls. I was NOT impressed.

> Joan! If you buy grocery store spring rolls,
> try Lean Cuisine spring rolls sometime (frozen food section).
> Don't pay full price. Once a month they go on sale for $2.00.
> They have 2 kinds (that I've seen).

I had a coupon for these.

> The chicken ones are good but get tiring after a bit.
> My favorite is the Asian spring rolls. Very tasty and very
> low calories. I like a bit of orange sauce (duck sauce)
> to go with them.
>
> The box has two plastic wrappers with 3 rolls each.
> Good for a snack and also good to accompany a stir fry dinner.

I think I'll just opt for the Spring rolls at my favorite Chinese restaurant
from now on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 9:22:06 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > RFC is, of course, an acronym.

> What does that stand for, Jill? I've always wondered.
> It's been mentioned often here in this group.

Recreational
Food
Cooking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> I think I'll just opt for the Spring rolls at my favorite Chinese restaurant
> from now on.

Those are always good.
Have you ever made your own though?
I did a few times years ago and equal to restaurant
quality and certainly less expensive.

Only problem is a big batch and I'll eat too many.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:
> I am just not a fan of *anything* blackberry.

Not me either until one time I was offered a glass
of bb brandy. Nothing I would have been tempted to
buy but it was surprisingly very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 9:22:06 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> >
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > > RFC is, of course, an acronym.

> > What does that stand for, Jill? I've always wondered.
> > It's been mentioned often here in this group.
> >

> Recreational
> Food
> Cooking

Hopefully you know that *was* a joke question.

Do you know this acronym? I've said it here a few times.
RAWHOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:16:52 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
>
> > I think I'll just opt for the Spring rolls at my favorite Chinese restaurant
> > from now on.

> Those are always good.
> Have you ever made your own though?
> I did a few times years ago and equal to restaurant
> quality and certainly less expensive.
>
> Only problem is a big batch and I'll eat too many.

Naw, I'll just leave that culinary chore to the folks at the Chinese eatery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:19:14 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:

> > > What does that stand for, Jill? I've always wondered.
> > > It's been mentioned often here in this group.
> > >

> > Recreational
> > Food
> > Cooking

> Hopefully you know that *was* a joke question.

How was I supposed to know you meant it as a joke question?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:45:58 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 9:19:14 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

>> > Recreational
>> > Food
>> > Cooking

>> Hopefully you know that *was* a joke question.
>>

>How was I supposed to know you meant it as a joke question?

Especially given his track record
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 04:20:38 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 6:46:22 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

>> > Why "proud"? It's like being proud of having red hair or being
>> > of French descent.
>> >

>> * Well , since my only remaining "brother" changed his name to Rachel
>> on his 66th b'day ...

>Let's stick to you for the moment. You had no choice in being born
>straight or white. Are you proud of your careful selection of
>parents?

You're asking him to be open-minded. Good luck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jan 28, , Bruce wrote
(in >):

> You're asking him to be open-minded. Good luck.

I learned early on that when someone told me to be open-minded, they simply
meant think like me.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-01-30 6:09 p.m., Leo wrote:
> On 2020 Jan 28, , Bruce wrote
> (in >):
>
>> You're asking him to be open-minded. Good luck.

> I learned early on that when someone told me to be open-minded, they simply
> meant think like me.
>
> leo

But if you're too open minded, your brains will fall out!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020 Jan 30, , graham wrote
(in article >):

> But if you're too open minded, your brains will fall out!

Yep. Dude! Keep an open mind and try this."

leo