Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Mince Pie

I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are popular here in the states for Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???

https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html

"Mince Pie:

Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/19 6:14 PM, GM wrote:
> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are popular here in the states for Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>

> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>
> "Mince Pie:
>
> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."

I was just gifted some Australian Mince Tarts from Woods Farm Jervis
Bay. Not tried it but it says 100% Australian Butter pastry and infused
with St Agnes Brandy.

The ingredient list looks ok.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2019 8:14 PM, GM wrote:
> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are popular here in the states for Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>

> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>
> "Mince Pie:
>
> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."

I'd buy one too.

You are fortunate to have a real bakery. Most are in supermarkets and
just wallow in mediocrity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 7:14:47 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:

> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are popular here in the states for Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>

> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>
> "Mince Pie:
>
> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

I have two jars of None Such mince pie filling and bought two pie crusts
this past Friday at the grocery store. I'm plan on making it for Christmas
and I love, love, love mince pies.

From the None Such site:

Ingredients:

WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
FRUIT PECTIN.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 7:14:47 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
>>
>> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are popular here in the states for Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>>

>> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>>
>> "Mince Pie:
>>
>> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

>I have two jars of None Such mince pie filling and bought two pie crusts
>this past Friday at the grocery store. I'm plan on making it for Christmas
>and I love, love, love mince pies.
>
>From the None Such site:
>
>Ingredients:
>
>WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
>FRUIT PECTIN.

Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 8:44:04 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >From the None Such site:
> >
> >Ingredients:
> >
> >WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
> >FRUIT PECTIN.

> Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
> good.

Oh my, it has to be one of my favorite pies and sadly it only appears
around Thanksgiving and Christmas. But check your grocery store in the
baking aisle to see if they stock it. There are also online recipes to
make this mixture but I just buy a jar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 20:41:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 8:44:04 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >From the None Such site:
>> >
>> >Ingredients:
>> >
>> >WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
>> >FRUIT PECTIN.

>> Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
>> good.
>>

>Oh my, it has to be one of my favorite pies and sadly it only appears
>around Thanksgiving and Christmas. But check your grocery store in the
>baking aisle to see if they stock it. There are also online recipes to
>make this mixture but I just buy a jar.

My wife had heard of them and said they're an English thing. And
whoopie:
<https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/720770/woolworths-fruit-mince-pies>

Unfortunately:
Sugar, Wheat Flour, Mixed Fruit (23%) (Sultanas, Apple, Currants,
Glace Citrus Peel (Orange Peel, Glucose (from Wheat), Lemon Peel,
Sugar, Preservative (223 (contains Sulphites), Acidity Regulator
(330)), Glacé Ginger), Margarine (Vegetable Oil (Palm), Water, Salt,
Vegetable Emulsifiers (322 (from Soy), 471), Natural Flavour, Acidity
Regulators (500, 300), Antioxidant (307b (from Soy)), Natural Colour
(160a)), Water, Butter (Pasteurised Cream (from Milk), Salt), Glucose
(from Maize), Egg, Humectants (420, 422), Milk Powder, Canola Oil,
Thickener (1442 from Maize), Raising Agents (450, 500), Spices,
Natural Butter Flavour, Stabiliser (464), Acidity Regulator (330),
Salt, Preservative (202), Brandy, Rum, This product contains 23% Fruit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 10:49:52 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> My wife had heard of them and said they're an English thing. And
> whoopie:
> <https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/720770/woolworths-fruit-mince-pies>
>
> Unfortunately:
> Sugar, Wheat Flour, Mixed Fruit (23%) (Sultanas, Apple, Currants,
> Glace Citrus Peel (Orange Peel, Glucose (from Wheat), Lemon Peel,
> Sugar, Preservative (223 (contains Sulphites), Acidity Regulator
> (330)), Glacé Ginger), Margarine (Vegetable Oil (Palm), Water, Salt,
> Vegetable Emulsifiers (322 (from Soy), 471), Natural Flavour, Acidity
> Regulators (500, 300), Antioxidant (307b (from Soy)), Natural Colour
> (160a)), Water, Butter (Pasteurised Cream (from Milk), Salt), Glucose
> (from Maize), Egg, Humectants (420, 422), Milk Powder, Canola Oil,
> Thickener (1442 from Maize), Raising Agents (450, 500), Spices,
> Natural Butter Flavour, Stabiliser (464), Acidity Regulator (330),
> Salt, Preservative (202), Brandy, Rum, This product contains 23% Fruit

Uh, I'd strongly suggest making your own mixture if you can't find it
jarred at your local grocery store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 21:03:58 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 10:49:52 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> My wife had heard of them and said they're an English thing. And
>> whoopie:
>> <https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/720770/woolworths-fruit-mince-pies>
>>
>> Unfortunately:
>> Sugar, Wheat Flour, Mixed Fruit (23%) (Sultanas, Apple, Currants,
>> Glace Citrus Peel (Orange Peel, Glucose (from Wheat), Lemon Peel,
>> Sugar, Preservative (223 (contains Sulphites), Acidity Regulator
>> (330)), Glacé Ginger), Margarine (Vegetable Oil (Palm), Water, Salt,
>> Vegetable Emulsifiers (322 (from Soy), 471), Natural Flavour, Acidity
>> Regulators (500, 300), Antioxidant (307b (from Soy)), Natural Colour
>> (160a)), Water, Butter (Pasteurised Cream (from Milk), Salt), Glucose
>> (from Maize), Egg, Humectants (420, 422), Milk Powder, Canola Oil,
>> Thickener (1442 from Maize), Raising Agents (450, 500), Spices,
>> Natural Butter Flavour, Stabiliser (464), Acidity Regulator (330),
>> Salt, Preservative (202), Brandy, Rum, This product contains 23% Fruit
>>

>Uh, I'd strongly suggest making your own mixture if you can't find it
>jarred at your local grocery store.

Yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 7:14:47 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
>>
>> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince
>> pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple
>> and pecan pies are popular here in the states for
>> Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know
>> in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>>

>> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>>
>> "Mince Pie:
>>
>> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives
>> this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

>I have two jars of None Such mince pie filling and bought two pie crusts
>this past Friday at the grocery store. I'm plan on making it for Christmas
>and I love, love, love mince pies.
>
>From the None Such site:
>
>Ingredients:
>
>WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED,
>DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
>FRUIT PECTIN.

Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
good.

===

Do They are common for Christmas here) Just make sure you get good
ones!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 11:41:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 8:44:04 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >From the None Such site:
> > >
> > >Ingredients:
> > >
> > >WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED, DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
> > >FRUIT PECTIN.

> > Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
> > good.
> >

> Oh my, it has to be one of my favorite pies and sadly it only appears
> around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You can make it any time of year from scratch. The ingredients are
readily available.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:
> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99...

I've never had mince pie but sounds good seeing those
ingredients.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-22 12:57 p.m., Gary wrote:
> GM wrote:
>> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99...

> I've never had mince pie but sounds good seeing those
> ingredients.

If you have never tried it you might want to wade in gently and start
with a mincemeat tart. It is very flavourful stuff and a lot of people
don't like it. Even those of us who like it tend to keep it as a
seasonal treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 08:54:32 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 7:14:47 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
>>>
>>> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince
>>> pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple
>>> and pecan pies are popular here in the states for
>>> Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know
>>> in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>>>

>>> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>>>
>>> "Mince Pie:
>>>
>>> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives
>>> this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best
>>> Greg
>>>

>>I have two jars of None Such mince pie filling and bought two pie crusts
>>this past Friday at the grocery store. I'm plan on making it for Christmas
>>and I love, love, love mince pies.
>>
>>From the None Such site:
>>
>>Ingredients:
>>
>>WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED,
>>DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
>>FRUIT PECTIN.

>Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
>good.
>
>===
>
> Do They are common for Christmas here) Just make sure you get good
>ones!

I will, if I find better ones than from the supermarket.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> GM wrote:
> > Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99...

> I've never had mince pie but sounds good seeing those
> ingredients.

Yeah, researching the topic I see that it can also include beef suet, this is aparrently not included in this pie...I remember mince pies from reading Dickens and other Victorian authors...

Like you, I'm okay with cheap grocery store punkin' pies (got one at Target yesterday for four bux), but it is worth buying a pecan or mince pie I think at a higher price from a good bakery...these pies will be very rich and toothsome, only a small slice needed, I can freeze much of the remainder...

I got two of their fruitcakes last year, and in fact just finished the remainder this past week, they spent much of their lives in the freezer, was nice to have a bit 'o cold fruitcake in the hot summer...'twas worth the money!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 12/21/2019 8:14 PM, GM wrote:
> > I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple and pecan pies are popular here in the states for Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I know in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
> >

> > https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
> >
> > "Mince Pie:
> >
> > Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."
> >

> I'd buy one too.
>
> You are fortunate to have a real bakery. Most are in supermarkets and
> just wallow in mediocrity.

Yeah, this place is the "real deal", they open at 6:00 AM and start their workday hours before that, and they use only "pure" ingredients, no cheapo fillers/extenders/preservatives...some of their bakers go to France for training. When I pass by on my way home from work, generally their shelves are completely empty, they sell out most everday...

They also have a good selection of Swedish - type breads and such, always something new and interesting to try...great pan pizza, too...

AND, Ed, they are also big on PÄ…czki, theirs are amongst the best...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 1:19:33 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-22 12:57 p.m., Gary wrote:
> > GM wrote:
> >> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99...

> > I've never had mince pie but sounds good seeing those
> > ingredients.
> >

> If you have never tried it you might want to wade in gently and start
> with a mincemeat tart. It is very flavourful stuff and a lot of people
> don't like it. Even those of us who like it tend to keep it as a
> seasonal treat.

I haven't had mince pie in what seems like a lifetime, but I recall it
being gack-worthy sweet.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-22 1:43 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 1:19:33 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never had mince pie but sounds good seeing those
>>> ingredients.
>>>

>> If you have never tried it you might want to wade in gently and start
>> with a mincemeat tart. It is very flavourful stuff and a lot of people
>> don't like it. Even those of us who like it tend to keep it as a
>> seasonal treat.

> I haven't had mince pie in what seems like a lifetime, but I recall it
> being gack-worthy sweet.

It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than others.
My mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New Years day. My
brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in very small portions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 08:54:32 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 18:37:37 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 7:14:47 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
>>>
>>> I've only had mince pie several times in my life, so I ordered a mince
>>> pie (along with pecan) from my local bakery, link below. Pumpkin, apple
>>> and pecan pies are popular here in the states for
>>> Thanksgiving/Christmas...who still does mince here in the states...I
>>> know
>>> in the UK/Canada mince is prolly more popular...???
>>>

>>> https://bennisonscakes.com/christmas.html
>>>
>>> "Mince Pie:
>>>
>>> Apples, raisins, diced fruit, applesauce and a hint of pineapple gives
>>> this pie its unique flavor. 9" for $14.99..."
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best
>>> Greg
>>>

>>I have two jars of None Such mince pie filling and bought two pie crusts
>>this past Friday at the grocery store. I'm plan on making it for
>>Christmas
>>and I love, love, love mince pies.
>>
>>From the None Such site:
>>
>>Ingredients:
>>
>>WATER, CORN SYRUP, RAISINS, DRIED APPLES, MOLASSES, CORN STARCH MODIFIED,
>>DISTILLED VINEGAR, DRIED CITRUS PEEL, SALT, SPICES, BEEF, BITTERS,
>>FRUIT PECTIN.

>Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
>good.
>
>===
>
> Do They are common for Christmas here) Just make sure you get
> good
>ones!

I will, if I find better ones than from the supermarket.

==

Good luck!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 18:59:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 08:54:32 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>Not that I've ever had a mince pie, but those ingredients are pretty
>>good.
>>
>>===
>>
>> Do They are common for Christmas here) Just make sure you get
>> good
>>ones!

>I will, if I find better ones than from the supermarket.
>
>==
>
> Good luck!!

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-22 11:57 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-22 1:43 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> If you have never tried it you might want to wade in gently and start
>>> with a mincemeat tart.Â* It is very flavourful stuff and a lot of people
>>> don'tÂ* like it. Even those of us who like it tend to keep it as a
>>> seasonal treat.

>> I haven't had mince pie in what seems like a lifetime, but I recall it
>> being gack-worthy sweet.

> It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than others. My
> mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New Years day. My
> brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in very small portions.

Some years ago. I made 6 dozen mince pies one Sunday before xmas and by
the following Thursday, they'd all been eaten, mostly by my 2 teenage sons.
The following year I made another 6 dozen batch and had to dump most of
them after xmas. I haven't made them since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 12:30:55 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-12-22 11:57 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I haven't had mince pie in what seems like a lifetime, but I recall it
>>> being gack-worthy sweet.

>> It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than others. My
>> mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New Years day. My
>> brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in very small portions.
>>

>Some years ago. I made 6 dozen mince pies one Sunday before xmas and by
>the following Thursday, they'd all been eaten, mostly by my 2 teenage sons.
>The following year I made another 6 dozen batch and had to dump most of
>them after xmas. I haven't made them since.

Sucks to have a fickle target audience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-22 2:30 p.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-12-22 11:57 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>> It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than
>> others. My mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New
>> Years day. My brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in
>> very small portions.
>>

> Some years ago. I made 6 dozen mince pies one Sunday before xmas and
> by the following Thursday, they'd all been eaten, mostly by my 2
> teenage sons. The following year I made another 6 dozen batch and had
> to dump most of them after xmas. I haven't made them since.

I made 4 dozen mince meat tarts. I have been having one a day and took
some to a party. I was starting to worry that they would not last until
Christmas and I might have to make some more. Then I realized Christmas
is just a few days away and if I make another batch of them I will
probably get sick of them. Better to finish them off and save them as a
treat for next year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 15:59:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-12-22 2:30 p.m., graham wrote:
>> On 2019-12-22 11:57 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than
>>> others. My mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New
>>> Years day. My brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in
>>> very small portions.
>>>

>> Some years ago. I made 6 dozen mince pies one Sunday before xmas and
>> by the following Thursday, they'd all been eaten, mostly by my 2
>> teenage sons. The following year I made another 6 dozen batch and had
>> to dump most of them after xmas. I haven't made them since.

>I made 4 dozen mince meat tarts. I have been having one a day and took
>some to a party. I was starting to worry that they would not last until
>Christmas and I might have to make some more. Then I realized Christmas
>is just a few days away and if I make another batch of them I will
>probably get sick of them. Better to finish them off and save them as a
>treat for next year.

The Life and Times of Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 12:55:52 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-12-22 1:43 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I haven't had mince pie in what seems like a lifetime, but I recall it
> > being gack-worthy sweet.

> It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than others.
> My mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New Years day. My
> brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in very small portions.

The ones I've had were indeed sweet but to me, they more 'rich' tasting if
that makes sense and spicy without being overpowering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 4:57:36 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have never made my own mincemeat. I have bought it from a local
> butcher and have used several different commercial products. They vary
> in sweetness and richness. I can't say I have ever had one that was not
> delicious.

I'm having to fight the urge right now of cracking open that jar of None
Such and eating a large spoonful. That's what happened the last time I
bought a jar with the intent of making a pie; the jar was empty after
serval days of 'snacking.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 14:46:21 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 12:55:52 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-12-22 1:43 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> >
>> > I haven't had mince pie in what seems like a lifetime, but I recall it
>> > being gack-worthy sweet.

>> It depends on the mince meat used. Some are much sweeter than others.
>> My mother used to make mince meat pie for dessert on New Years day. My
>> brothers and I all loved it. It was always served in very small portions.
>>

>The ones I've had were indeed sweet but to me, they more 'rich' tasting if
>that makes sense and spicy without being overpowering.

I like a good mincemeat pie much nore than a pumpkin pie. I know they
are not real mincemeat but I don't care for real mincemeat that
contains actual meat, those are too gamey.