Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A cast iron dinner

Â* On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
recipes if anyone wants them ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2019 7:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
> shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
> carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
> leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
> recipes if anyone wants them ...

I sliced up some of the leftover new potatoes I boiled the other day and
made home fries in a cast iron skillet. Sprinkled with S&P and cooked
in a little corn oil until crispy but still tender. Served with a small
(4 oz.) strip steak, also cooked in a small cast iron skillet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2019 7:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/20/2019 7:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> Â*Â* On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served
>> with shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and
>> some glazed carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always
>> make enough for leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs
>> . I'll share the recipes if anyone wants them ...
>>

> I sliced up some of the leftover new potatoes I boiled the other day
> and made home fries in a cast iron skillet.Â* Sprinkled with S&P and
> cooked in a little corn oil until crispy but still tender.Â* Served
> with a small (4 oz.) strip steak, also cooked in a small cast iron
> skillet.
>
> Jill

Â* I love my cast iron pans . Not quite as easy to clean as the coated
stuff but I'll use them first almost every time . About the only
exception is eggs , they slide out of a coated pan so much easier .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2019 8:27 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 12/20/2019 7:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/20/2019 7:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>
>>> Â*Â* On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served
>>> with shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and
>>> some glazed carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always
>>> make enough for leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs
>>> . I'll share the recipes if anyone wants them ...
>>>

>> I sliced up some of the leftover new potatoes I boiled the other day
>> and made home fries in a cast iron skillet.Â* Sprinkled with S&P and
>> cooked in a little corn oil until crispy but still tender.Â* Served
>> with a small (4 oz.) strip steak, also cooked in a small cast iron
>> skillet.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Â* I love my cast iron pans . Not quite as easy to clean as the coated
> stuff but I'll use them first almost every time . About the only
> exception is eggs , they slide out of a coated pan so much easier .

I have a dedicated 9" cast iron skillet for cornbread and a cast iron
cornstick pan. I use a smaller cast iron skillet to cook a burger (I'm
cooking for one) and small steaks. A larger one for crispy fried
potatoes. Never for eggs. It doesn't matter how well seasoned the cast
iron is, a coated pan has always worked better for me for eggs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 18:55:43 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

> * On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
>shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
>carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
>leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
>recipes if anyone wants them ...

sure I love new recipes, although all I would need is the hamburger
steaks and the mushroom gravy. I cut and make my own hash browns in
the air fryer so I would not need that.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 7:55:42 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> Â* On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
> shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
> carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
> leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
> recipes if anyone wants them ...

It was warm (32 F) and windless again last night so it was grilled
chicken breast on a salad dressed with sherry-vinegar vinaigrette.
A slice of bread drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with coarse salt.

A 1-ounce square of semisweet chocolate for dessert.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> It was warm (32 F) and windless again last night so it was grilled
> chicken breast on a salad dressed with sherry-vinegar vinaigrette.
> A slice of bread drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with coarse salt.
>
> A 1-ounce square of semisweet chocolate for dessert.

Sounds quite tasty.

I bought an 8" store pumpkin pie yesterday. Only $2.99

Except for the probably inferior crust, it was a good deal.
I'll have some of that today. If good, I'll buy another
Monday for a Chrismas dessert on Wednesday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
> shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
> carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
> leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
> recipes if anyone wants them ...

I'd like to hear it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2019 11:10 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
>> shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
>> carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
>> leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
>> recipes if anyone wants them ...

> I'd like to hear it.

Â* OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
flavors can permeate the carrots .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 12/21/2019 11:10 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Terry Coombs wrote:
> >> Â On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
> >> shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
> >> carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
> >> leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
> >> recipes if anyone wants them ...

> > I'd like to hear it.

> Â* OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
> glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
> put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
> light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
> caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
> dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
> cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
> remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
> usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
> flavors can permeate the carrots .

Hmmm...those carrots sound tasty, but mayhaps some bourbon in the glaze would "assist" the flavor "quotient"...

;-D

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message ...

On 12/21/2019 11:10 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â On tonight's menu was hamburger steaks in mushroom gravy served with
>> shredded frozen (well , I did cook them ...) hash browns and some glazed
>> carrots . The only thing left is some gravy , I always make enough for
>> leftovers because my wife likes it on scrambled eggs . I'll share the
>> recipes if anyone wants them ...

> I'd like to hear it.

OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already ,

Oh I missed that(( D. loves burgers. Recently I have been making
Chinese burgers and he loves them I would love to see yours!

so here's the
glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
flavors can permeate the carrots .

I will certainly keep this one

Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 12:19:44 -0800 (PST), GM
> wrote:

>Terry Coombs wrote:

>> > I'd like to hear it.

>> * OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
>> glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
>> put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
>> light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
>> caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
>> dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
>> cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
>> remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
>> usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
>> flavors can permeate the carrots .

>Hmmm...those carrots sound tasty, but mayhaps some bourbon in the glaze would "assist" the flavor "quotient"...

Canned carrots are TIAD... exactly the same texture going in as out.
Fresh carrots are not the least bit difficult to pare and candy;
butter, brown sugar, honey, salt. white pepper... do not cook to mush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2019 2:19 PM, GM wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> I'd like to hear it.

>> Â* OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
>> glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
>> put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
>> light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
>> caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
>> dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
>> cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
>> remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
>> usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
>> flavors can permeate the carrots .

> Hmmm...those carrots sound tasty, but mayhaps some bourbon in the glaze would "assist" the flavor "quotient"...
>
> ;-D

Â* I prefer my bourbon in a glass with ice and lemon-lime soda thank you
.. Well , I like it straight too , but I get too far too fast .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2019 5:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 12/21/2019 2:19 PM, GM wrote:
>> Terry CoombsÂ* wrote:

>>> Â* Â* OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
>>> glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
>>> put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
>>> light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
>>> caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
>>> dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
>>> cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
>>> remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
>>> usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
>>> flavors can permeate the carrots .

>> Hmmm...those carrots sound tasty, but mayhaps some bourbon in the
>> glaze would "assist" the flavor "quotient"...
>>
>> ;-D
>>

> Â* I prefer my bourbon in a glass with ice and lemon-lime soda thank you
> . Well , I like it straight too , but I get too far too fast .

I may try them with bourbon. I do them in a similar manner

Clean and slice carrots. Cook them in a pan with a good amount of
butter. I cover them initially. When nearly done, put the cover aside,
add some brown sugar and Chambourd. Stir to a syrupy consistency. I was
out of that so I used a blood orange liquor with good results too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-21 3:41 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/21/2019 5:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Hmmm...those carrots sound tasty, but mayhaps some bourbon in the
>>> glaze would "assist" the flavor "quotient"...
>>>
>>> ;-D
>>>

>> Â*Â* I prefer my bourbon in a glass with ice and lemon-lime soda thank
>> you . Well , I like it straight too , but I get too far too fast .
>>

> I may try them with bourbon.Â* I do them in a similar manner
>
> Clean and slice carrots.Â* Cook them in a pan with a good amount of
> butter.Â* I cover them initially.Â* When nearly done, put the cover aside,
> add some brown sugar and Chambourd. Stir to a syrupy consistency.Â* I was
> out of that so I used a blood orange liquor with good results too.

I cut up large "old" carrots into "diagonal" chunks and put them in a
shallow pan with the juice of an orange and water to more or less cover.
I let the water boil away (adding a little if the carrots aren't tender)
and then add a chunk of butter and toss the carrots around so that they
are glazed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 12/21/2019 5:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> >> Hmmm...those carrots sound tasty, but mayhaps some bourbon in the
> >> glaze would "assist" the flavor "quotient"...
> >>
> >> ;-D
> >>

> > Â* I prefer my bourbon in a glass with ice and lemon-lime soda thank you
> > . Well , I like it straight too , but I get too far too fast .
> >

> I may try them with bourbon. I do them in a similar manner
>
> Clean and slice carrots. Cook them in a pan with a good amount of
> butter. I cover them initially. When nearly done, put the cover aside,
> add some brown sugar and Chambourd. Stir to a syrupy consistency. I was
> out of that so I used a blood orange liquor with good results too.

I am thinking "pecans" somewheres in the mix, too...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
> glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
> put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
> light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
> caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
> dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
> cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
> remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
> usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
> flavors can permeate the carrots .

Thanks, T. Sounds good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/22/2019 11:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â OK , I posted the hamburger steak recipe already , so here's the
>> glazed carrots - I assume you already know how to cook hash browns . I
>> put about a tablespoon and a half of butter with about a quarter cup of
>> light brown sugar and heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture
>> caramelizes then add 1 can of drained sliced carrots . I season with a
>> dash each of nutmeg and allspice plus about a quarter teaspoon of ground
>> cloves . Stir well until the glaze coats the carrots well - the moisture
>> remaining in the carrots will dissolve it into a syrup consistency . I
>> usually let it simmer gently for a few minutes before serving so the
>> flavors can permeate the carrots .

> Thanks, T. Sounds good.

Â* It's my wife's favorite way (for me) to prepare carrots .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old