Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nothing quite like ...

Â* a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
tasty !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 7:57:12 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
> barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
> tasty !

It does sound rather satisfying; did you make it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 8:57:12 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> Â* a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
> barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
> tasty !
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

That sounds great.

Last night I made braised chicken thighs for my husband. Since I don't
like thigh, I soldiered on with some leftover grilled shrimp. Poor
little me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/19 6:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
> barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
> tasty !

Agree! Had some scrumptious soup last evening. Home cooked chicken
broth, bok choy, carrots, ginger and

Trader Joe Dumplings

HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS INGREDIENTS: FILLING: White Cabbage,Carrot, Chive,
White Radish, Green Onion, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Soy Sauce
(Soybeans,Wheat, Salt, Alcohol, Water), Wheat Flour, Wheat Starch, Corn
Flour, Soybean Oil, Sesame Oil, Sugar, Salt, Pepper, Vegetable Powder
(Onion, Cabbage, Carrot, Spring Onion, Maltodextrin [corn], Salt).

Splash of soy sauce and srirache.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2019 8:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Â* a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
> barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
> tasty !

Sounds tasty! It doesn't even have to be chilly for me to like a good
hot bowl of soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Last night I made braised chicken thighs for my husband. Since I don't
> like thigh,

Don't like chicken thighs? I always suspected you were weird.

Seriously though, I prefer the thighs (dark meat) for eating
plain and hot. I do prefer the white meat for sandwiches
and stir-fry meals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 12:12:21 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > Last night I made braised chicken thighs for my husband. Since I don't
> > like thigh,

> Don't like chicken thighs? I always suspected you were weird.
>

> Seriously though, I prefer the thighs (dark meat) for eating
> plain and hot. I do prefer the white meat for sandwiches
> and stir-fry meals.

To each their own. I find thighs have an unpleasant, slimy mouthfeel.

From time to time I enjoy a fresh, perfectly grilled chicken breast
with nothing but salt.

The key is "perfectly grilled". It's got to be still moist and just
past pink on the inside.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 08:05:02 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 12/15/19 6:57 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> Â* a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
>> barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
>> tasty !
>>

>Agree! Had some scrumptious soup last evening. Home cooked chicken
>broth, bok choy, carrots, ginger and
>

>Trader Joe Dumplings
>
>HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS INGREDIENTS: FILLING: White Cabbage,Carrot, Chive,
>White Radish, Green Onion, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Soy Sauce
>(Soybeans,Wheat, Salt, Alcohol, Water), Wheat Flour, Wheat Starch, Corn
>Flour, Soybean Oil, Sesame Oil, Sugar, Salt, Pepper, Vegetable Powder
>(Onion, Cabbage, Carrot, Spring Onion, Maltodextrin [corn], Salt).

Yes, very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 19:57:28 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

> * a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
>barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
>tasty !

soup wasn't in my plans for today but it surely sounds good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 11:23:37 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 19:57:28 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>wrote:
>

>> * a nice hot bowl of soup on a chilly evening . This time it's beef and
>>barley with taters , carrots , celery , onions and shrooms . It is quite
>>tasty !

>soup wasn't in my plans for today but it surely sounds good.
>Janet US

I've a soup vat of beef with mushroom and barley on the stove. The
usual soup veggies - carrot, celery, onion, parsnip (usual for around
here), parsley, salt & pepper.

Nothing exotic, but there will be plenty for dinner tonight and
tomorrow, then the rest will be frozen. That soup freezes quite well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-16 12:58 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 12:12:21 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

>> Seriously though, I prefer the thighs (dark meat) for eating
>> plain and hot. I do prefer the white meat for sandwiches
>> and stir-fry meals.

> To each their own. I find thighs have an unpleasant, slimy mouthfeel.

That is an interesting description, but I like them. I might suggest you
try chicken Tandoori, which is best using the thigh and drumstick.

> From time to time I enjoy a fresh, perfectly grilled chicken breast
> with nothing but salt.

My wife used to question why my chicken breasts always tasted better
than hers. I thought it was the liberal application of kosher salt that
I use.... along with coarsely ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder and
maybe a little oregano. One of the reasons I prefer cooking the dark
meat is that it is resilient to overcooking. The breast meat has a
small window of doneness. It goes from under cooked to perfectly cooked
and over cooked in just a couple minutes.

> The key is "perfectly grilled". It's got to be still moist and just
> past pink on the inside.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 4:45:00 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-16 12:58 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 12:12:21 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> >> Seriously though, I prefer the thighs (dark meat) for eating
> >> plain and hot. I do prefer the white meat for sandwiches
> >> and stir-fry meals.

> > To each their own. I find thighs have an unpleasant, slimy mouthfeel.

> That is an interesting description, but I like them. I might suggest you
> try chicken Tandoori, which is best using the thigh and drumstick.

Already tried it. I'll stick with chicken tikka, which is made using
breast meat.

> > From time to time I enjoy a fresh, perfectly grilled chicken breast
> > with nothing but salt.

> My wife used to question why my chicken breasts always tasted better
> than hers. I thought it was the liberal application of kosher salt that
> I use.... along with coarsely ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder and
> maybe a little oregano. One of the reasons I prefer cooking the dark
> meat is that it is resilient to overcooking. The breast meat has a
> small window of doneness. It goes from under cooked to perfectly cooked
> and over cooked in just a couple minutes.

I never said grilled chicken breast wasn't better with a little butter

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> From time to time I enjoy a fresh, perfectly grilled chicken breast
> with nothing but salt.
>
> The key is "perfectly grilled". It's got to be still moist and just
> past pink on the inside.

I do agree with you. Very short time for chicken breast to go
from underdone to overcooked and dry. Only about a minute or so.

I've achieved this in the microwave. A perfectly cooked breast
is moist and very tasty. Just add a bit of salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 11:32:06 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> From time to time I enjoy a fresh, perfectly grilled chicken breast
>> with nothing but salt.
>>
>> The key is "perfectly grilled". It's got to be still moist and just
>> past pink on the inside.

>I do agree with you. Very short time for chicken breast to go
>from underdone to overcooked and dry. Only about a minute or so.
>
>I've achieved this in the microwave. A perfectly cooked breast
>is moist and very tasty. Just add a bit of salt.

I prefer to slice each into three equally thick cutlets, then saute in
a relatively hot pan with EVOO for some 3 minutes per side.. I've
found that cooked whole the thickness varies too much for even
cooking; the thin outer portion will become over cooked while the
thick center remains undercooked. I salt after cooking as salt is a
dessicant so will draw out moisture. For chicken breasts I don't
salt, after cooking I'd much rather a wee bit of freshly ground black
pepper and a smidge of finely minced curly leaf parsley... plated on a
bed of white rice cooked in lightly salted water is salt enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> From time to time I enjoy a fresh, perfectly grilled chicken breast
> with nothing but salt.
>
> The key is "perfectly grilled". It's got to be still moist and just
> past pink on the inside.

I do agree with you. Very short time for chicken breast to go
from underdone to overcooked and dry. Only about a minute or so.

I've achieved this in the microwave. A perfectly cooked breast
is moist and very tasty. Just add a bit of salt.

====

I brine chicken before cooking. The meat is very moist and tender after
roasting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> I guess Americans aren't into free-range chicken. They just want
> cheap, right?

If the cheap chicken has been raised in an abused environment,
killing them first makes sense to me. End their misery. That
sounds like a humane thing to do.

The "happy" chickens will still be killed later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 09:47:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-12-18 5:46 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I prefer to get my chicken breasts at a particular local, family run
>>> grocery. Their boneless, skinless chicken breasts tend to be on the
>>> small side. They are what I consider to be an adult portion. They are
>>> small enough and thin enough that the insides cook without drying out
>>> the outer portions.

Size makes no difference, middles are thicker, edges are thiner.
Small or large the ratio of thickness is identical; centers are thick,
edges are thin... that's true because that's chicken Anatomy 101.

>> I, too, look for smaller chicken breasts.

How can you do that without opening the package and checking each for
their bra size.... do you shop for chicken breasts with tape measure
in hand?

>>Those Schwarzenegger pecs are just too stringy; there's almost no way to cook them properly.

You're one of those who's too ascared to touch raw meat and modify it
for cooking.

>A woman I know hates chicken breasts. She says it is dry and tasteless.

Very simple, she can't cook. I know a womean like that too, I'm
married to her.

Whole boneless skinless chicken breasts are not desigmed to be cooked
as is, that's why they are most often modified, made into cutlets as
many Euros do or as the Orientals do they are sliced into evenly sized
nuggets or strips for stir frying or skewered as kabobs. Only
non-cooks attempt to cook skinless boneless chicken breasts as they
are presented in the package. Seems many of yoose are incompetent and
lazy, who only prepare skinless boneless chicken breasts as they come
from the package... too ascared to touch them raw. The only kitchen
work my wife can do is brew tea, and since I don't drink pond water
I've no idea if her tea is any good. She adds milk to her tea, seems
an abomonation to me, since I've not seen tea flavored ice cream it
must be TIAD, typical of UK cookery.

I never cook skinless boneless chicken breasts as they're packaged...
first thing I rinse with cold water, remove the lumps of fat and any
blood clots, and also that tendon that runs down one side. I mostly
slice the whole breasts into three cutlets... sometimes into
strips/nuggets. The only time I cook them whole is when wrapped in
plastic and poached.
When I want chicken breasts whole I roast a whole chicken. Often I'll
quarter a whole chicken, leave the skin on but pull out the rib bones
with a paper towel... makes for easier eating. With the skin on the
breasts don't become dry and properly seasoned aren't tasteless. Most
often my chicken seasoning consists of a marinade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 12:35:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 09:47:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> Size makes no difference, middles are thicker, edges are thiner.
> Small or large the ratio of thickness is identical; centers are thick,
> edges are thin... that's true because that's chicken Anatomy 101.

The ratio is by no means identical. Small chicken breasts might be 0.75 inch
at the thick end. Large ones are up to 1.5 inch at the thick end.

> >> I, too, look for smaller chicken breasts.

> How can you do that without opening the package and checking each for
> their bra size.... do you shop for chicken breasts with tape measure
> in hand?

You can see how many are in the package, which is labeled by weight.
Do the math.

> >>Those Schwarzenegger pecs are just too stringy; there's almost no way to cook them properly.

> You're one of those who's too ascared to touch raw meat and modify it
> for cooking.

Not me. You're thinking of Julie Bove. I've lost count of how many
whole chickens I've broken down in my lifetime.

> Whole boneless skinless chicken breasts are not desigmed to be cooked
> as is,

They're not "designed" at all. Anybody with half a brain can cook
a whole chicken breast.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-18 12:34 p.m., wrote:

> Size makes no difference, middles are thicker, edges are thiner.
> Small or large the ratio of thickness is identical; centers are thick,
> edges are thin... that's true because that's chicken Anatomy 101.

True, but the differences are much greater on a large chicken breast
than they are on a small one. You can heat up the pan or grill and get
a nice sear on the outside and the inner portions can be cooked to
perfection without overcooking the top and bottom.

>>> I, too, look for smaller chicken breasts.

> How can you do that without opening the package and checking each for
> their bra size.... do you shop for chicken breasts with tape measure
> in hand?

I have these magic things called eyes. That store packages the breasts
in backs of 2-4, so it's quite easy to determine the size.

>>> Those Schwarzenegger pecs are just too stringy; there's almost no way to cook them properly.

> You're one of those who's too ascared to touch raw meat and modify it
> for cooking.
>
>> A woman I know hates chicken breasts. She says it is dry and tasteless.

> Very simple, she can't cook. I know a womean like that too, I'm
> married to her.

I have had some of her cooking at pot lucks and it was always delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 07:06:11 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 12/18/19 3:48 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 02:46:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I, too, look for smaller chicken breasts. Those Schwarzenegger pecs
>>> are just too stringy; there's almost no way to cook them properly.

>> I guess Americans aren't into free-range chicken. They just want
>> cheap, right?
>>

>A very uninformed comment! Where do you come up with these ideas?

People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
ideas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 10:25:24 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> I guess Americans aren't into free-range chicken. They just want
>> cheap, right?

>If the cheap chicken has been raised in an abused environment,
>killing them first makes sense to me. End their misery. That
>sounds like a humane thing to do.

A humane thing to do is not to put them in "an abused environment".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/19 11:44 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 07:06:11 -0700, jay > wrote:
>
>> On 12/18/19 3:48 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 02:46:19 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> I guess Americans aren't into free-range chicken. They just want
>>> cheap, right?
>>>

>> A very uninformed comment! Where do you come up with these ideas?

> People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
> chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
> mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
> ideas.

Ok The Americans in this news group are your sampling.. currently all 25
or so of us. Since you don't touch the pluckers let me say that there is
no comparison in taste between a small farm free range roasted chicken
and one of those yellow/orange roosters that are found for a 1$ at the
discount markets. I'm not saying they are bad but they are not the same
and I have eaten my fair share of 'em.

They are also not so cheap but worth its IMO. At one farmers market we
frequent they are as much as 7 or 8 US$ a pound and of course prices
vary depending on where you go. Small shop farms tend to take very good
care of their animals. No question they don't fit it all food budgets.

We also don't mind supporting the local farmers because we like the
people and their products and want them to stay around. Farming is HARD
F...ing work and whatever they charge it's still probably not enough.

Don't let what you see in RFC form your opinion about a nation of 325
million people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 12:19:31 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 12/18/19 11:44 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> A very uninformed comment! Where do you come up with these ideas?

>> People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
>> chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
>> mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
>> ideas.
>>

>Ok The Americans in this news group are your sampling.. currently all 25
>or so of us. Since you don't touch the pluckers let me say that there is
>no comparison in taste between a small farm free range roasted chicken
>and one of those yellow/orange roosters that are found for a 1$ at the
>discount markets. I'm not saying they are bad but they are not the same
>and I have eaten my fair share of 'em.
>
>They are also not so cheap but worth its IMO. At one farmers market we
>frequent they are as much as 7 or 8 US$ a pound and of course prices
>vary depending on where you go. Small shop farms tend to take very good
>care of their animals. No question they don't fit it all food budgets.
>
>We also don't mind supporting the local farmers because we like the
>people and their products and want them to stay around. Farming is HARD
>F...ing work and whatever they charge it's still probably not enough.

Considerations like the above are very, very rare in RFC. Normally,
it's all about cents.

>Don't let what you see in RFC form your opinion about a nation of 325
>million people.

Of course not. It's too small a sample. Ethnically too much focused on
white people. Age-wise too much focused on 60+. Etc, etc. But if I
have to add a disclaimer to my posts, they become so long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/19 12:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 12:19:31 -0700, jay > wrote:

>>> People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
>>> chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
>>> mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
>>> ideas.
>>>

>> Ok The Americans in this news group are your sampling.. currently all 25
>> or so of us. Since you don't touch the pluckers let me say that there is
>> no comparison in taste between a small farm free range roasted chicken
>> and one of those yellow/orange roosters that are found for a 1$ at the
>> discount markets. I'm not saying they are bad but they are not the same
>> and I have eaten my fair share of 'em.
>>
>> They are also not so cheap but worth its IMO. At one farmers market we
>> frequent they are as much as 7 or 8 US$ a pound and of course prices
>> vary depending on where you go. Small shop farms tend to take very good
>> care of their animals. No question they don't fit it all food budgets.
>>
>> We also don't mind supporting the local farmers because we like the
>> people and their products and want them to stay around. Farming is HARD
>> F...ing work and whatever they charge it's still probably not enough.

> Considerations like the above are very, very rare in RFC. Normally,
> it's all about cents.
>
>> Don't let what you see in RFC form your opinion about a nation of 325
>> million people.

> Of course not. It's too small a sample. Ethnically too much focused on
> white people. Age-wise too much focused on 60+. Etc, etc. But if I
> have to add a disclaimer to my posts, they become so long.

Recruit some young folks of color and we will talk with 'em. You sound
like my late aunt who always complained that there were so many OLD
people where she lived... Sunset Manor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 12:35:05 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 12/18/19 12:26 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Ok The Americans in this news group are your sampling.. currently all 25
>>> or so of us. Since you don't touch the pluckers let me say that there is
>>> no comparison in taste between a small farm free range roasted chicken
>>> and one of those yellow/orange roosters that are found for a 1$ at the
>>> discount markets. I'm not saying they are bad but they are not the same
>>> and I have eaten my fair share of 'em.
>>>
>>> They are also not so cheap but worth its IMO. At one farmers market we
>>> frequent they are as much as 7 or 8 US$ a pound and of course prices
>>> vary depending on where you go. Small shop farms tend to take very good
>>> care of their animals. No question they don't fit it all food budgets.
>>>
>>> We also don't mind supporting the local farmers because we like the
>>> people and their products and want them to stay around. Farming is HARD
>>> F...ing work and whatever they charge it's still probably not enough.

>> Considerations like the above are very, very rare in RFC. Normally,
>> it's all about cents.
>>
>>> Don't let what you see in RFC form your opinion about a nation of 325
>>> million people.

>> Of course not. It's too small a sample. Ethnically too much focused on
>> white people. Age-wise too much focused on 60+. Etc, etc. But if I
>> have to add a disclaimer to my posts, they become so long.
>>

>Recruit some young folks of color and we will talk with 'em. You sound
>like my late aunt who always complained that there were so many OLD
>people where she lived... Sunset Manor.

I'm not complaining about old people. I'm just agreeing with you that
the sample is unbalanced for many reasons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:44:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
> chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
> mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
> ideas.

Well, here you go. The chicken I buy costs about 700 cents per pound.
I can't quite recall the brand. (I can remember the brand I bought 20
years ago but not the brand that I buy now.)

I don't buy it because the chickens lead a decent life. I buy it because
it tastes good and it's available at my regular grocery store. I'm
pretty sure it's free range and perhaps organic.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:59:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:44:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>
>> People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
>> chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
>> mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
>> ideas.

>Well, here you go. The chicken I buy costs about 700 cents per pound.
>I can't quite recall the brand. (I can remember the brand I bought 20
>years ago but not the brand that I buy now.)
>
>I don't buy it because the chickens lead a decent life.

No, that would be asking too much.

>I buy it because
>it tastes good and it's available at my regular grocery store. I'm
>pretty sure it's free range and perhaps organic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 3:03:55 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:59:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 1:44:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> People in this newsgroup always go on about how many cents their
> >> chicken costs and how it's on special here or there. But they never
> >> mention quality or animal welfare. That's how I come up with these
> >> ideas.

> >Well, here you go. The chicken I buy costs about 700 cents per pound.
> >I can't quite recall the brand. (I can remember the brand I bought 20
> >years ago but not the brand that I buy now.)
> >
> >I don't buy it because the chickens lead a decent life.

> No, that would be asking too much.
>
> >I buy it because
> >it tastes good and it's available at my regular grocery store. I'm
> >pretty sure it's free range and perhaps organic.

Does it really matter to the chicken whether I buy it because it tastes
good or because it was a happy little chicken?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 12:08:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 3:03:55 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:59:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Well, here you go. The chicken I buy costs about 700 cents per pound.
>> >I can't quite recall the brand. (I can remember the brand I bought 20
>> >years ago but not the brand that I buy now.)
>> >
>> >I don't buy it because the chickens lead a decent life.

>> No, that would be asking too much.
>>
>> >I buy it because
>> >it tastes good and it's available at my regular grocery store. I'm
>> >pretty sure it's free range and perhaps organic.

>Does it really matter to the chicken whether I buy it because it tastes
>good or because it was a happy little chicken?

Do you still think you're a sociopath?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 12:35:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 09:47:43 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> Size makes no difference, middles are thicker, edges are thiner.
>> Small or large the ratio of thickness is identical; centers are thick,
>> edges are thin... that's true because that's chicken Anatomy 101.

> The ratio is by no means identical. Small chicken breasts might be 0.75 inch
> at the thick end. Large ones are up to 1.5 inch at the thick end.

>> How can you do that without opening the package and checking each for
>> their bra size.... do you shop for chicken breasts with tape measure
>> in hand?

> You can see how many are in the package, which is labeled by weight.
> Do the math.

>> You're one of those who's too ascared to touch raw meat and modify it
>> for cooking.

> Not me. You're thinking of Julie Bove. I've lost count of how many
> whole chickens I've broken down in my lifetime.
>
>> Whole boneless skinless chicken breasts are not desigmed to be cooked
>> as is,

> They're not "designed" at all. Anybody with half a brain can cook
> a whole chicken breast.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Who said Popeye has a half a brain? More like a quarter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-12-18 12:34 p.m., wrote:

>> Size makes no difference, middles are thicker, edges are thiner.
>> Small or large the ratio of thickness is identical; centers are
>> thick,
>> edges are thin... that's true because that's chicken Anatomy 101.

> True, but the differences are much greater on a large chicken breast
> than they are on a small one.* You can heat up the pan or grill and
> get a nice sear on the outside and the inner portions can be cooked
> to perfection without overcooking the top and bottom.

>> How can you do that without opening the package and checking each for
>> their bra size.... do you shop for chicken breasts with tape measure
>> in hand?

> I have these magic things called eyes. That store packages the
> breasts in backs of 2-4, so it's quite easy to determine the size.

>> You're one of those who's too ascared to touch raw meat and modify it
>> for cooking.
>>
>>> A woman I know hates chicken breasts. She says it is dry and
>>> tasteless.

>> Very simple, she can't cook.* I know a womean like that too, I'm
>> married to her.

> I have had some of her cooking at pot lucks and it was always
> delicious.

Hush! You know damn well Popeye is the *only* cook in the universe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 13:43:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-12-18 12:34 p.m., wrote:

>> Size makes no difference, middles are thicker, edges are thiner.
>> Small or large the ratio of thickness is identical; centers are thick,
>> edges are thin... that's true because that's chicken Anatomy 101.

>True, but the differences are much greater on a large chicken breast
>than they are on a small one. You can heat up the pan or grill and get
>a nice sear on the outside and the inner portions can be cooked to
>perfection without overcooking the top and bottom.

>> How can you do that without opening the package and checking each for
>> their bra size.... do you shop for chicken breasts with tape measure
>> in hand?

>I have these magic things called eyes. That store packages the breasts
>in backs of 2-4, so it's quite easy to determine the size.

>> You're one of those who's too ascared to touch raw meat and modify it
>> for cooking.
>>
>>> A woman I know hates chicken breasts. She says it is dry and tasteless.

>> Very simple, she can't cook. I know a womean like that too, I'm
>> married to her.

>I have had some of her cooking at pot lucks and it was always delicious.

WTF would yoose know, all your chicken is from fast food joints... you
especially have NEVER cooked anything... buckets of KFC at pot lucks
don't count. All his stories about "Big Niece" are totally made up
fairy tails, if anyone is big it's BIG OBEASTIE 400 POUND DAVE SMITH.
After all his time at RFC no one has ever seen a picture of him or
anything he has claimed to have cooked... I don't believe that Dave
Smith (a fake name) owns a pot.