Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default High fructose corn syrup

As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
interesting.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
> interesting.
>
> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

I generally avoid sweeteners of all kinds where they do not belong.

Soup. Salad dressing. Tomato sauce. Bread. The list is long,
but these are the first four that come to mind.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 05:25:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>> interesting.
>>
>> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

>I generally avoid sweeteners of all kinds where they do not belong.
>
>Soup. Salad dressing. Tomato sauce. Bread. The list is long,
>but these are the first four that come to mind.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
pacifier of sorts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
> added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
> pacifier of sorts.

Speaking of which...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...ng/KgYjYmurrc4

I started the thread with:

Inconvenient truth to teach kids about sugar

Namely: It counts as sugar (and as something to be avoided) even when you can't quite taste it. Of course, to many kids, this seems horribly unfair.

Example: "Yes, I know you like canned tomato soup better than any homemade tomato soup, but we're still not buying it, even with your allowance money. Why? Because sugar happens to be the second ingredient - surprise, surprise."

(No reason to phrase it exactly that way, of course. I just wondered how many here have had kids get upset over that rule or that realization - especially if those kids happen to be surrounded by schoolmates who eat candy as a snack at least several times a week - and/or the more popular super-processed foods for dinner.)
_______________________________________

Btw, here's a link to that FBORFW strip - the old one didn't work.

https://fborfw.com/strip_fix/?s=%22w...or+a+change%22

Note that Lizzie (about 7 at the time) doesn't even consider the fatty granola to be sweet enough!

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 05:25:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>>> interesting.
>>>
>>> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

>> I generally avoid sweeteners of all kinds where they do not belong.
>>
>> Soup. Salad dressing. Tomato sauce. Bread. The list is long,
>> but these are the first four that come to mind.

> Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
> added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
> pacifier of sorts.

Exactly! Just like kuth's ass pacifies you druce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 3:19:42 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
> interesting.
>
> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

HFC is the perfect sweetener because it's cheap. Who could ask for anything more?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2019 1:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 05:25:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>>> interesting.
>>>
>>> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

>> I generally avoid sweeteners of all kinds where they do not belong.
>>
>> Soup. Salad dressing. Tomato sauce. Bread. The list is long,
>> but these are the first four that come to mind.

> Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
> added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
> pacifier of sorts.

I admit I like sweets and probably use too much sugar, but even I have
limits. I had a salad dressing at a friends house and liked it. I was
going to buy it for myself but read the label at the store. Would you
like some sugar for your lettuce?

Braswell Dressing Creamy Vidalia Onion, 9 oz
Ingredients
'CANE SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, DISTILLED VINEGAR,
SUPERIOR MUSTARD (VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), VIDALIA ONIONS, SALT,
DEHYDRATED ONIONS, POPPY SEEDS, XANTHAN GUM, CELERY SEEDS AND ASCORBIC
ACID.'

How is this for label reading.
Braswell Dressing Vidalia Tomato Summer, 12 oz
No Artificial Ingredients, Does not Contain Refined Sugar, Made in USA

Sounds good so far, but the key word is "refined"

Ingredients
'CRUSHED TOMATOES (TOMATOES, SALT, CITRIC ACID), CANE SUGAR, APPLE CIDER
VINEGAR, WATER, DISTILLED VINEGAR, VIDALIA ONIONS, MUSTARD (DISTILLED
VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), DEHYDRATED ONION, ONION POWDER, SALT,
POPPY SEEDS, PAPRIKA, XANTHAN GUM, GARLIC POWDER, ERYTHORBIC ACID, EDTA,
CELERY SEEDS, LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE,
BLACK PEPPER AND DILL WEED. 3.0% VIDALIA ONION BY WEIGHT.'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/15/2019 1:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 05:25:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I generally avoid sweeteners of all kinds where they do not belong.
>>>
>>> Soup.* Salad dressing.* Tomato sauce.* Bread.* The list is long,
>>> but these are the first four that come to mind.

>> Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
>> added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
>> pacifier of sorts.
>>

> I admit I like sweets and probably use too much sugar, but even I
> have limits.* I had a salad dressing at a friends house and liked
> it.* I was going to buy it for myself but read the label at the
> store.* Would you like some sugar for your lettuce?
>
> Braswell Dressing Creamy Vidalia Onion, 9 oz
> Ingredients
> 'CANE SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, DISTILLED
> VINEGAR, SUPERIOR MUSTARD (VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), VIDALIA
> ONIONS, SALT, DEHYDRATED ONIONS, POPPY SEEDS, XANTHAN GUM, CELERY
> SEEDS AND ASCORBIC ACID.'
>
> How is this for label reading.
> Braswell Dressing Vidalia Tomato Summer, 12 oz
> No Artificial Ingredients, Does not Contain Refined Sugar, Made in USA
>
> Sounds good so far, but the key word is "refined"
>
> Ingredients
> 'CRUSHED TOMATOES (TOMATOES, SALT, CITRIC ACID), CANE SUGAR, APPLE
> CIDER VINEGAR, WATER, DISTILLED VINEGAR, VIDALIA ONIONS, MUSTARD
> (DISTILLED VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), DEHYDRATED ONION, ONION
> POWDER, SALT, POPPY SEEDS, PAPRIKA, XANTHAN GUM, GARLIC POWDER,
> ERYTHORBIC ACID, EDTA, CELERY SEEDS, LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% POTASSIUM
> SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, BLACK PEPPER AND DILL WEED. 3.0% VIDALIA
> ONION BY WEIGHT.'

Thanks druce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 08:20:43 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>interesting.
>
>https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

LOL, that's hilarious! 'Marilyn is obvious a paid for whore of the
corn lobby. There's no debate at all that HFCS is a bad thing to
consume, you don't get that impression from her misleading article.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 09:37:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 08:20:43 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>>interesting.
>>
>>https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

>LOL, that's hilarious! 'Marilyn is obvious a paid for whore of the
>corn lobby. There's no debate at all that HFCS is a bad thing to
>consume, you don't get that impression from her misleading article.

If you disagree with Jebus, be prepared to be called a whore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 09:37:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 08:20:43 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>>> interesting.
>>>
>>> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

>> LOL, that's hilarious! 'Marilyn is obvious a paid for whore of the
>> corn lobby. There's no debate at all that HFCS is a bad thing to
>> consume, you don't get that impression from her misleading article.

> If you disagree with Jebus, be prepared to be called a whore.

And then also have to listen to your whining pruce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 3:20:29 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/15/2019 1:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 05:25:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> >> I generally avoid sweeteners of all kinds where they do not belong.
> >>
> >> Soup. Salad dressing. Tomato sauce. Bread. The list is long,
> >> but these are the first four that come to mind.

> > Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
> > added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
> > pacifier of sorts.
> >

> I admit I like sweets and probably use too much sugar, but even I have
> limits. I had a salad dressing at a friends house and liked it. I was
> going to buy it for myself but read the label at the store. Would you
> like some sugar for your lettuce?
>
> Braswell Dressing Creamy Vidalia Onion, 9 oz
> Ingredients
> 'CANE SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, DISTILLED VINEGAR,
> SUPERIOR MUSTARD (VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), VIDALIA ONIONS, SALT,
> DEHYDRATED ONIONS, POPPY SEEDS, XANTHAN GUM, CELERY SEEDS AND ASCORBIC
> ACID.'
>
> How is this for label reading.
> Braswell Dressing Vidalia Tomato Summer, 12 oz
> No Artificial Ingredients, Does not Contain Refined Sugar, Made in USA
>
> Sounds good so far, but the key word is "refined"
>
> Ingredients
> 'CRUSHED TOMATOES (TOMATOES, SALT, CITRIC ACID), CANE SUGAR, APPLE CIDER
> VINEGAR, WATER, DISTILLED VINEGAR, VIDALIA ONIONS, MUSTARD (DISTILLED
> VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), DEHYDRATED ONION, ONION POWDER, SALT,
> POPPY SEEDS, PAPRIKA, XANTHAN GUM, GARLIC POWDER, ERYTHORBIC ACID, EDTA,
> CELERY SEEDS, LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE,
> BLACK PEPPER AND DILL WEED. 3.0% VIDALIA ONION BY WEIGHT.'

And that's why I make all my own dressings.

Three whole percent vidalia onion? What do they do, wave one over the
vat?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/19 3:38 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 09:37:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 08:20:43 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> As so many in this group seem to avoid this, I found it
>>> interesting.
>>>
>>> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1912151840490095.jpg

>> LOL, that's hilarious! 'Marilyn is obvious a paid for whore of the
>> corn lobby. There's no debate at all that HFCS is a bad thing to
>> consume, you don't get that impression from her misleading article.

> If you disagree with Jebus, be prepared to be called a whore.

Jebus can pull your whimpering ho string so easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 02:39:16 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 3:20:29 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 12/15/2019 1:13 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> > On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 05:25:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>> > Exactly. There's nothing wrong with sugar where it belongs, but it's
>> > added to so many things where it doesn't belong. It's used as a
>> > pacifier of sorts.
>> >

>> I admit I like sweets and probably use too much sugar, but even I have
>> limits. I had a salad dressing at a friends house and liked it. I was
>> going to buy it for myself but read the label at the store. Would you
>> like some sugar for your lettuce?
>>
>> Braswell Dressing Creamy Vidalia Onion, 9 oz
>> Ingredients
>> 'CANE SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, DISTILLED VINEGAR,
>> SUPERIOR MUSTARD (VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), VIDALIA ONIONS, SALT,
>> DEHYDRATED ONIONS, POPPY SEEDS, XANTHAN GUM, CELERY SEEDS AND ASCORBIC
>> ACID.'
>>
>> How is this for label reading.
>> Braswell Dressing Vidalia Tomato Summer, 12 oz
>> No Artificial Ingredients, Does not Contain Refined Sugar, Made in USA
>>
>> Sounds good so far, but the key word is "refined"
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 'CRUSHED TOMATOES (TOMATOES, SALT, CITRIC ACID), CANE SUGAR, APPLE CIDER
>> VINEGAR, WATER, DISTILLED VINEGAR, VIDALIA ONIONS, MUSTARD (DISTILLED
>> VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), DEHYDRATED ONION, ONION POWDER, SALT,
>> POPPY SEEDS, PAPRIKA, XANTHAN GUM, GARLIC POWDER, ERYTHORBIC ACID, EDTA,
>> CELERY SEEDS, LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE,
>> BLACK PEPPER AND DILL WEED. 3.0% VIDALIA ONION BY WEIGHT.'

I buy crushed tomatoes all the time, and various national brands...
I've never seen any that contain those ingredients. Looking at the
ingredients on a REDPACK label it says; vine-ripened tomatoes, tomatoe
puree, less than 2% of salt, citric acid*
*naturally derived.

I make my own salad dressings often but I never add any canned tomato
to the dressing, any tomato in the salad is fresh tomatoe, same with
onion. My salad dressing is typically EVOO, fresh lemon juice, herbs,
spices. I much prefer fresh lemon juice to vinegar. I buy fresh
lemons by the two pound bag, typically 6-8 large lemons. After
squeezing the juice from a couple wedges, picking out he seeds, the
rinds go in my Crystal Palace glass. Eventually the lemon rinds are
tossed out my window, deer love lemon rinds... or maybe they love the
remnants of the Crystal Palace. LOL

>And that's why I make all my own dressings.
>
>Three whole percent vidalia onion? What do they do, wave one over the
>vat?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 1:26:29 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 02:39:16 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I admit I like sweets and probably use too much sugar, but even I have
> >> limits. I had a salad dressing at a friends house and liked it. I was
> >> going to buy it for myself but read the label at the store. Would you
> >> like some sugar for your lettuce?
> >>
> >> Braswell Dressing Creamy Vidalia Onion, 9 oz
> >> Ingredients
> >> 'CANE SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, DISTILLED VINEGAR,
> >> SUPERIOR MUSTARD (VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), VIDALIA ONIONS, SALT,
> >> DEHYDRATED ONIONS, POPPY SEEDS, XANTHAN GUM, CELERY SEEDS AND ASCORBIC
> >> ACID.'
> >>
> >> How is this for label reading.
> >> Braswell Dressing Vidalia Tomato Summer, 12 oz
> >> No Artificial Ingredients, Does not Contain Refined Sugar, Made in USA
> >>
> >> Sounds good so far, but the key word is "refined"
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> 'CRUSHED TOMATOES (TOMATOES, SALT, CITRIC ACID), CANE SUGAR, APPLE CIDER
> >> VINEGAR, WATER, DISTILLED VINEGAR, VIDALIA ONIONS, MUSTARD (DISTILLED
> >> VINEGAR, MUSTARD SEED, WATER), DEHYDRATED ONION, ONION POWDER, SALT,
> >> POPPY SEEDS, PAPRIKA, XANTHAN GUM, GARLIC POWDER, ERYTHORBIC ACID, EDTA,
> >> CELERY SEEDS, LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE,
> >> BLACK PEPPER AND DILL WEED. 3.0% VIDALIA ONION BY WEIGHT.'

> I buy crushed tomatoes all the time, and various national brands...
> I've never seen any that contain those ingredients.

Slow down and read carefully. Crushed tomatoes are ONE ingredient in the
salad dressing. The ingredients of the crushed tomatoes are tomatoes, salt,
and citric acid. These are the exact same ingredients used by home canners
of tomatoes.

> I make my own salad dressings often but I never add any canned tomato
> to the dressing,

The name of the dressing is "Vidalia Tomato Summer". I certainly would
expect some sort of tomatoes in that dressing.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 08:13:10 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 12/15/19 3:38 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> LOL, that's hilarious! 'Marilyn is obvious a paid for whore of the
>>> corn lobby. There's no debate at all that HFCS is a bad thing to
>>> consume, you don't get that impression from her misleading article.

>> If you disagree with Jebus, be prepared to be called a whore.
>>

>Jebus can pull your whimpering ho string so easily.

Our resident special needs dutch friend is still here?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Je�us wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 08:13:10 -0700, jay > wrote:

>>> If you disagree with Jebus, be prepared to be called a whore.
>>>

>> Jebus can pull your whimpering ho string so easily.

> Our resident special needs dutch friend is still here?

Can't you hear that damn whining noise?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 8:17:14 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Je�us wrote:

> >> Jebus can pull your whimpering ho string so easily.

> > Our resident special needs dutch friend is still here?
> >

> Can't you hear that damn whining noise?

So that's what that noise is. I thought a bearing in my computer's
power supply fan was going bad.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2019 4:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 8:17:14 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Je�us wrote:

>>> Our resident special needs dutch friend is still here?
>>>

>> Can't you hear that damn whining noise?

> So that's what that noise is. I thought a bearing in my computer's
> power supply fan was going bad.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Â* That's usually more of a low growl than a high pitched squeal . Like
a little pig ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 12/17/2019 4:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Can't you hear that damn whining noise?

>> So that's what that noise is.Â* I thought a bearing in my computer's
>> power supply fan was going bad.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> ÂÂ* That's usually more of a low growl than a high pitched squeal .
> Like a little pig ...

And the fan can be replaced cheaply to get rid of the problem.