Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizzeles - - The tradition continues

On 2019-12-12 4:13 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
>> enjoying them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without
>> them. The rest for family and friends here to enjoy.

> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it
> was my mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but
> the tradition continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the
> tradition.

My mother made both light and dark fruitcake. I love both but there were
nuts in the dark and they are hard on my system. I make a couple
batches of the light each November, eat some and give some away but only
to those who I know like fruitcake.

I am the only one in the family who makes it. My brother phoned a couple
years ago and asked if I was going to make some fruitcake for him. I
said I would do even better than that. I would give him Mom's recipe. He
said that he had the recipe but when he went to get the ingredients he
saw how expensive they were. I guess he figured they were too expensive
for him to make it for himself but not too expensive for me to pay for
them, do the work and give it to him. I set some aside for him, but drew
the line at delivering it to him. He never came by to get it, so we ate it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:25:21 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 3:13:23 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
> >

> Do you not have your mom's recipe? I know it's not the same when someone else
> makes it for you, but it would be nice to have mom's recipe yourself.

I used to help my mom make it when I was a kid. It was one of the few things we did together. The recipe used beaten eggs as leavening so the results will vary greatly depending on the skill of the maker. The truth is that I was never a big fan of fruitcake but I had a slice of my auntie's fruitcake last year and realized it was pretty tasty. It's a smooth, pleasant, buttery, tasting fruitcake. OTOH, my fruitcake making days are over.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ite-fruitcake/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> them every year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my
mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition
continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.

===

I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 3:41:28 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> I used to help my mom make it when I was a kid. It was one of the few things we did together. The recipe used beaten eggs as leavening so the results will vary greatly depending on the skill of the maker. The truth is that I was never a big fan of fruitcake but I had a slice of my auntie's fruitcake last year and realized it was pretty tasty. It's a smooth, pleasant, buttery, tasting fruitcake. OTOH, my fruitcake making days are over.
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ite-fruitcake/

Just make fruitcake cookies, then! They're easy to make, taste like mini
disks of fruitcake, and take just a few minutes to cook.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange extract
3 cups self-rising flour
1 pound mixed candied fruit and peel
4 cups chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
1 cup raisins

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 300°. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with
a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a
time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla
and orange extract. Gradually add flour to sugar mixture, beating
until blended. Stir in candied fruit and peel, pecans, and raisins.
Drop dough by tablespoons 1 inch apart onto lightly greased baking
sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool
completely on wire racks (about 20 minutes).

Seal in a tightly covered bowl as the cookies will develop flavor
as they age.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:25:21 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 3:13:23 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
>>>

>> Do you not have your mom's recipe? I know it's not the same when someone else
>> makes it for you, but it would be nice to have mom's recipe yourself.

> I used to help my mom make it when I was a kid. It was one of the few things we did together. The recipe used beaten eggs as leavening so the results will vary greatly depending on the skill of the maker. The truth is that I was never a big fan of fruitcake but I had a slice of my auntie's fruitcake last year and realized it was pretty tasty. It's a smooth, pleasant, buttery, tasting fruitcake. OTOH, my fruitcake making days are over.
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ite-fruitcake/

Well, you might not be able to make mom's special asian fruitcake,
but here's what yoose can do on that rock: Spoon canned pinneaple
chunks onto a honkey moon pie. Spray generously with canned whipped
cream. Plop a chrismas decoration on. Make up a fanciful asian name
for it. Serve to yoose guests.

They'll never know the difference.

Aloha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> > them every year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> > the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my
> mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition
> continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
>
> ===
>
> I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great to see a professional actually making these things.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 1:06:36 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 3:41:28 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I used to help my mom make it when I was a kid. It was one of the few things we did together. The recipe used beaten eggs as leavening so the results will vary greatly depending on the skill of the maker. The truth is that I was never a big fan of fruitcake but I had a slice of my auntie's fruitcake last year and realized it was pretty tasty. It's a smooth, pleasant, buttery, tasting fruitcake. OTOH, my fruitcake making days are over.
> >
> > https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ite-fruitcake/
> >

> Just make fruitcake cookies, then! They're easy to make, taste like mini
> disks of fruitcake, and take just a few minutes to cook.
>

> Ingredients:
>
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
> 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
> 3 large eggs
> 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
> 1 tablespoon orange extract
> 3 cups self-rising flour
> 1 pound mixed candied fruit and peel
> 4 cups chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
> 1 cup raisins
>
> Preparation:
>
> Preheat oven to 300°. Beat sugar and butter at medium speed with
> a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a
> time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla
> and orange extract. Gradually add flour to sugar mixture, beating
> until blended. Stir in candied fruit and peel, pecans, and raisins.
> Drop dough by tablespoons 1 inch apart onto lightly greased baking
> sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool
> completely on wire racks (about 20 minutes).
>
> Seal in a tightly covered bowl as the cookies will develop flavor
> as they age.

One needs to have a certain temperament to bake stuff. I don't really have that in me - not anymore. I used have the right stuff back in the 80's. My daughter certainly does now. These days, the idea of going through all those steps makes me feel week. I must be getting old.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 19:51:05 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my
>> mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition
>> continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

>I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great to see a professional actually making these things.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg

Not that there's anything wrong with her looks, but she doesn't look
entirely European to me. I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say
that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 6:00:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 19:51:05 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> "dsi1" wrote in message
> >>
> >> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my
> >> mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition
> >> continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

> >I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great to see a professional actually making these things.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg

> Not that there's anything wrong with her looks, but she doesn't look
> entirely European to me. I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say
> that.

The Japanese are enamored with French bakeries. There's a bunch of them in Japan and Hawaii.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-12 11:51 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 6:00:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>
>> Not that there's anything wrong with her looks, but she doesn't look
>> entirely European to me. I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say
>> that.

> The Japanese are enamored with French bakeries. There's a bunch of them in Japan and Hawaii.

And so they should be. French bakeries are generally very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 9:55:36 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> One needs to have a certain temperament to bake stuff. I don't really have that in me - not anymore. I used have the right stuff back in the 80's. My daughter certainly does now. These days, the idea of going through all those steps makes me feel week. I must be getting old.

I do ok with these type cookies, banana bread, dump cakes and the like. The
intricate stuff I admire but I don't have the expertise nor patience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:51:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 6:00:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 19:51:05 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great to see a professional actually making these things.
>> >
>> >https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg

>> Not that there's anything wrong with her looks, but she doesn't look
>> entirely European to me. I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say
>> that.

>The Japanese are enamored with French bakeries. There's a bunch of them in Japan and Hawaii.

Here, it tends to be the Vietnamese who run good French style
bakeries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> > them every year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> > the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my
> mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the
> tradition
> continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
>
> ===
>
> I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great
to see a professional actually making these things.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg

===

Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 09:43:57 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
>fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great
>to see a professional actually making these things.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
>
>===
>
> Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
>Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

I'm not crazy about candied fruits, but what's not to like about
flour, sugar and booze? Congratulations, by the way

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 09:43:57 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
>fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
>great
>to see a professional actually making these things.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
>
>===
>
> Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
>Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

I'm not crazy about candied fruits, but what's not to like about
flour, sugar and booze? Congratulations, by the way

==

Congratulations?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:49:19 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 09:43:57 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
>>fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
>>great
>>to see a professional actually making these things.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
>>
>>===
>>
>> Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
>>Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

>I'm not crazy about candied fruits, but what's not to like about
>flour, sugar and booze? Congratulations, by the way
>
>==
>
> Congratulations?

Isn't it certain Jan 31 will be D-Day?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:49:19 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 09:43:57 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
>>fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
>>great
>>to see a professional actually making these things.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
>>
>>===
>>
>> Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
>>Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

>I'm not crazy about candied fruits, but what's not to like about
>flour, sugar and booze? Congratulations, by the way
>
>==
>
> Congratulations?

Isn't it certain Jan 31 will be D-Day?

===

Hopefully)) Thankewverymuch <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 12:27:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > > iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> > > them every year too.
> > >
> > > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > > and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> > > the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > > enough.
> > >
> > > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> > My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my
> > mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the
> > tradition
> > continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

> I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
> fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was great
> to see a professional actually making these things.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
>
> ===
>
> Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
> Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

You probably wouldn't want to put fruitcake on your bucket list.

Here's a mele written by a Hawaiian Queen paying tribute to Victoria and her 50 years as Queen of the Empire and as Empress of India. The Hawaiian Royalty used to travel to the old and new worlds a lot. That's probably not a good idea coming from a land that was essentially in quarantine for 1500 years. Traveling killed off a lot of Hawaiians back in the day. OTOH, I suppose it didn't matter much because the diseases the foreigners brought killed off a lot of Hawaiians at home too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqkjkkcE7M
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 12:27:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla
> > > and
> > > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > > iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> > > them every year too.
> > >
> > > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They
> > > have
> > > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > > and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> > > the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was
> > > simple
> > > enough.
> > >
> > > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
> > > enjoying
> > > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The
> > > rest
> > > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> > My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was
> > my
> > mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the
> > tradition
> > continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

> I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
> fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
> great
> to see a professional actually making these things.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
>
> ===
>
> Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
> Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

You probably wouldn't want to put fruitcake on your bucket list.

Here's a mele written by a Hawaiian Queen paying tribute to Victoria and her
50 years as Queen of the Empire and as Empress of India. The Hawaiian
Royalty used to travel to the old and new worlds a lot. That's probably not
a good idea coming from a land that was essentially in quarantine for 1500
years. Traveling killed off a lot of Hawaiians back in the day. OTOH, I
suppose it didn't matter much because the diseases the foreigners brought
killed off a lot of Hawaiians at home too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqkjkkcE7M

====

That is lovely We both enjoyed that, thank you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 10:33:38 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 12:27:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was
> > > my
> > > mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the
> > > tradition
> > > continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

> > I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead of
> > fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
> > great
> > to see a professional actually making these things.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
> > Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

> You probably wouldn't want to put fruitcake on your bucket list.
>
> Here's a mele written by a Hawaiian Queen paying tribute to Victoria and her
> 50 years as Queen of the Empire and as Empress of India. The Hawaiian
> Royalty used to travel to the old and new worlds a lot. That's probably not
> a good idea coming from a land that was essentially in quarantine for 1500
> years. Traveling killed off a lot of Hawaiians back in the day. OTOH, I
> suppose it didn't matter much because the diseases the foreigners brought
> killed off a lot of Hawaiians at home too.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqkjkkcE7M
>
> ====
>
> That is lovely We both enjoyed that, thank you)

Here's a translation. It's pretty awesome.

"All hail to you, Great Queen of England
Fair Queen who rules over land and sea
From northern seas to southern shores
Your way is known both far and near
We come to your shores, gracious lady
On this great day of your Jubilee
To bring kind greetings from afar
May heaven bless you, long may you reign

All hail, all hail, Empress of India
In this your year of Jubilee
Now kings, queens and princes great
Have all assembled here today
To pay due homage and reverent love
Hawaii joins with loyal fervor
May Heaven smile on you
God bless the Queen, long may she live"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 10:33:38 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 12:27:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it
> > > was
> > > my
> > > mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the
> > > tradition
> > > continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > I think that is lovely and I love the tradition too

> > I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead
> > of
> > fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
> > great
> > to see a professional actually making these things.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
> > Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

> You probably wouldn't want to put fruitcake on your bucket list.
>
> Here's a mele written by a Hawaiian Queen paying tribute to Victoria and
> her
> 50 years as Queen of the Empire and as Empress of India. The Hawaiian
> Royalty used to travel to the old and new worlds a lot. That's probably
> not
> a good idea coming from a land that was essentially in quarantine for 1500
> years. Traveling killed off a lot of Hawaiians back in the day. OTOH, I
> suppose it didn't matter much because the diseases the foreigners brought
> killed off a lot of Hawaiians at home too.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqkjkkcE7M
>
> ====
>
> That is lovely We both enjoyed that, thank you)

Here's a translation. It's pretty awesome.

"All hail to you, Great Queen of England
Fair Queen who rules over land and sea
From northern seas to southern shores
Your way is known both far and near
We come to your shores, gracious lady
On this great day of your Jubilee
To bring kind greetings from afar
May heaven bless you, long may you reign

All hail, all hail, Empress of India
In this your year of Jubilee
Now kings, queens and princes great
Have all assembled here today
To pay due homage and reverent love
Hawaii joins with loyal fervor
May Heaven smile on you
God bless the Queen, long may she live"

===

Beautiful Thank you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 5:24:00 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 10:33:38 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 12:27:41 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> > > I suppose in some parts of Europe, they make gingerbread houses instead
> > > of
> > > fruitcake. I saw a girl making gingerbread houses down the way. It was
> > > great
> > > to see a professional actually making these things.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kxUrNeOGPdPMqg
> > >
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Very pretty Not something I have ever made, and I haven't made
> > > Christmas (fruit) cake either. We don't like it very much.

> > You probably wouldn't want to put fruitcake on your bucket list.
> >
> > Here's a mele written by a Hawaiian Queen paying tribute to Victoria and
> > her
> > 50 years as Queen of the Empire and as Empress of India. The Hawaiian
> > Royalty used to travel to the old and new worlds a lot. That's probably
> > not
> > a good idea coming from a land that was essentially in quarantine for 1500
> > years. Traveling killed off a lot of Hawaiians back in the day. OTOH, I
> > suppose it didn't matter much because the diseases the foreigners brought
> > killed off a lot of Hawaiians at home too.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbqkjkkcE7M
> >
> > ====
> >
> > That is lovely We both enjoyed that, thank you)

> Here's a translation. It's pretty awesome.
>
> "All hail to you, Great Queen of England
> Fair Queen who rules over land and sea
> From northern seas to southern shores
> Your way is known both far and near
> We come to your shores, gracious lady
> On this great day of your Jubilee
> To bring kind greetings from afar
> May heaven bless you, long may you reign
>
> All hail, all hail, Empress of India
> In this your year of Jubilee
> Now kings, queens and princes great
> Have all assembled here today
> To pay due homage and reverent love
> Hawaii joins with loyal fervor
> May Heaven smile on you
> God bless the Queen, long may she live"
>
> ===
>
> Beautiful Thank you)

Mele? As opposed to 'Melee' which is the word that means a large fight between people. Sheesh, you can't help but wonder about the word similarity.

Breaking tradition...a little help? Nexis General Cooking 5 24-12-2007 07:03 PM
TRADITION ENVY General Cooking 8 22-08-2006 01:00 AM
The Holiday Tradition The Ranger General Cooking 1 18-12-2005 05:53 PM
New Easter Tradition Terrel General Cooking 3 27-03-2005 08:02 PM
T-day recipe that will be a tradition from now on Karen O'Mara General Cooking 0 26-11-2004 06:36 PM